The Bzpower Home Page Linked To The Biocraft Teaser On#######

Toa Zaz

While it should be left up to the staff to answer this question, I think I can shed some light into their thought process. In the past, despite BZPower's FORUM rules on the subject, exceptions have been made several times on the front page, in order to post a link to something that deserves mention (an outstanding and functional, MoC, Cryoshell news and updates, our trailer, etc).The reason this is, I believe, is that it is safer and easier to simply embed videos onto the front page the staff have deemed appropriate. The reason this isn't the case on the forums is because if anyone were allowed to post anything they want, each individual video would have to be moderated by the staff and removed or altered as they see fit. I hope that a workaround for this issue is created in the future, because being allowed to link there would help the community greatly in certain ways, but it's perfectly understandable why the rule is the way it is currently.To some, this could be looked at as unfair, but I personally think that our project deserved mention, and since the linking of our trailer was not the first instance in which BZP has done this, it's something that follows a previously set precedent and as such, really isn't a cause for concern-Mesonak

Edited by Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

While it should be left up to the staff to answer this question, I think I can shed some light into their thought process. In the past, despite BZPower's FORUM rules on the subject, exceptions have been made several times on the front page, in order to post a link to something that deserves mention (an outstanding and functional, MoC, Cryoshell news and updates, our trailer, etc).The reason this is, I believe, is that it is safer and easier to simply embed videos onto the front page the staff have deemed appropriate. The reason this isn't the case on the forums is because if anyone were allowed to post anything they want, each individual video would have to be moderated by the staff and removed or altered as they see fit. I hope that a workaround for this issue is created in the future, because being allowed to link there would help the community greatly in certain ways, but it's perfectly understandable why the rule is the way it is currently.To some, this could be looked at as unfair, but I personally think that our project deserved mention, and since the linking of our trailer was not the first instance in which BZP has done this, it's something that follows a previously set precedent and as such, really isn't a cause for concern-Mesonak

I like this response. It's not an easy question to tackle, and I would hate to go the "because they can" route, because that is not a satisfying response. It leans towards the arrogant and leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.What's interesting is that there is a Vimeo equivalent to that trailer. Perhaps the one linked to in the news story came first, and the Vimeo one created to meet the demands of the forums when they came back. Or maybe it was more difficult to find. I'm not sure - but I think this does show that Vimeo is a perfectly fine substitute for the other site. It may not have every video in the world, but for fan-uploaded videos here on BZP, I think it is just as good.But I digress. You bring up a good point when you say that, if anyone was allowed to link there on the forums, each video would have to be "moderated" by the staff. We couldn't trust each member to moderate the comments of videos they have uploaded, and if any video were allowed, and not just ones members have created, then we would lose all control. We can't watch the comments section of every video posted like the proverbial digital hawks we would have to be. It really is worlds easier to ban linking there outright. This doesn't quite answer the question, but I just want to make sure that it is clear why it is banned on the forums. BZPower prides itself on being kid-friendly. It does a really good job of it, too.So, then why is the news staff allowed to link to that site? Again back to Mesonak's point - here, the staff is in charge, a body considerably smaller than that of the members, and the staff is directly charged with keeping BZP clean. So, here's why I think this particular video was allowed:The related videos should be clean. BZP can't control what videos the site decides to associate with another, surely, and we definitely cannot control their comments. However, taking a look at the page, it seems that the video is matched with other LEGO- and BIONICLE-related videos. We can assume these videos are clean. We cannot as easily assume the comments are clean, but they certainly would be better than those on a pop music video. This brings me to the next point: this is a pretty professional LEGO-related project. I think the news staff assumed that the uploader would do a fairly decent job of moderating the comments. I've looked through most of the pages of comments, and there's nothing revolting catching my eye.So I assure you, the news staff isn't going to linking to any video from that site. They do have to be careful. The video in question is clean, and the comments seem clean too. I do understand that it does not seem fair, and reminiscent of "Do as I say, but not as I do." But, it would be quite the nightmare for the staff (and parents that see this site!) if we allowed members to link to there. I do hope you understand.Question answered, topic closed.