Set Review: 75111 Darth Vader

Hapori Tohu

75111_Darth_Vader_Review_teaser.jpg

After a slight delay, it's time for us to wrap up our reviews of the new Star Wars Buildable Figures. The last set is 75111 Darth Vader, and it's only fair that BZPower Blog Leader DeeVee, who used to share the same name, be the one to check him out. Will this Dark Lord of the Sith rule the galaxy with you side by side? Or are you better off jumping down Cloud City's central air shaft to get as far away from him as possible? You'll have to read on to find out!

View the full article

• Upvote 4

In defense of Pat, the square body looks really really weird in contrast to how hard the mask and cape nails the look.

The inner body looks like 2008 era MOCing.

It took every ounce of my being not to say that last line in both the video and the written segment.

• Upvote 3

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

In defense of Pat, the square body looks really really weird in contrast to how hard the mask and cape nails the look.

The inner body looks like 2008 era MOCing.

It took every ounce of my being not to say that last line in both the video and the written segment.

Oh Pat, we could hear that edge in your voice the whole time and knew you were holding back a universe of opinions.

Edited by Hahli Husky
  • Upvote 1

After seeing how the other builds turned out - especially General Grievous - I had pretty high expectations for this set. I've got to admit that it's kind of disappointing to see how it turned out. 

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Well I for one really enjoyed the build, and don't really understand how it could be labelled "tedious". It's not repetitive, and I personally don't feel as if anything about the build is superfluous - in fact, to be fair, it's a rather simple Technic build, in comparison to Technic sets or 2008 era MOCs (hue hue). But y'know, each to their own I suppose.

The legs are oddly skinny, the gunmetal is a little out of place, the grey things above his hips are odd and the gaps in his armpits are offputting, I'll vouch for all of that... But I'm still really impressed. He's an imposing, solid figure. Not the most perfect interpretation of Darth Vader, but it's probably about as close as you could really get without building something really delicate, or through using a chunky prefab torso. He's tall, well armoured, and the head mold is glorious. I hate how his cape is attached though.

Edited by Logan McOwen

I didn't mind the torso build itself, but I really don't like the final appearance of it. I agree that it looks like two torsos that weren't meant to be together were put together and the only thing to tie them together is the awkward control panel.

And the placement of the cape bothers me to no end. I get they did it for the length, but it makes a lot of sacrifices to get there. 

the gunmetal is a little out of place

This I don't understand. It's hard to see in many pictures, but in clear pictures where you can see it, he actually does have a layer of lighter color up in the neck and shoulder area.

I'm beginning to understand your complaints about the torso, but I'm not sure I understand what makes Grievous's superior. His is far gappier and visually awkward to me, and anything that makes that excusable has far more to do with the difference in source material than any inherent quality of the build.

(Also to be fair re: the slightly red eyes, that would require a new plastic color to pull off, and LEGO is past the days of making new colors for limited use.)

This I don't understand. It's hard to see in many pictures, but in clear pictures where you can see it, he actually does have a layer of lighter color up in the neck and shoulder area.

I'm beginning to understand your complaints about the torso, but I'm not sure I understand what makes Grievous's superior. His is far gappier and visually awkward to me, and anything that makes that excusable has far more to do with the difference in source material than any inherent quality of the build.

(Also to be fair re: the slightly red eyes, that would require a new plastic color to pull off, and LEGO is past the days of making new colors for limited use.)

I don't know if it would require a different plastic color (overmolding the base black with a small layer of Trans. Red could possibly do the trick). I imagine the reasoning was more that a solid black piece was easier and cheaper, and that most people would probably consider the solid black to be better looking and more authentic whether or not that was actually the case.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I have this sudden urge to use the Darth Vader headpiece to replace Tahu Okoto's head. I don't know why, but I think that would look really cool.

Anyways, this Vader set was probably one of the two Star Wars Contraction sets that I was planning on getting, with the other being Grievous. As someone who likes complex builds, I may enjoy the build of his torso. I guess I'll find out if/when I get the set. :)

Thanks for the review!

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I see it the other way around, the gunmetal is too dark. Vader's upper shoulder dressing is silver, and that's supposed to tie into the silver that is on his chestplate but they tied it in with the pearl dark gray instead.

I see it the other way around, the gunmetal is too dark. Vader's upper shoulder dressing is silver, and that's supposed to tie into the silver that is on his chestplate but they tied it in with the pearl dark gray instead.

Sometimes it's a matter of perception. The armor in the movies may be a lighter color, but in many of the settings in which he appeared, it appeared darker due to the lighting. Like I mentioned before, with the eye color, sometimes what buyers perceive to be accurate is more important than what's actually accurate. The Titanium Metallic forms a sort of middle ground between the more accurate silver and the commonly perceived black, allowing it to hopefully satisfy customers regardless of how accurate their recollections of Darth Vader might be.

Edited by Lyichir

Fair enough, I personally don't mind the gunmetal all too much, although I'm not a big fan of the use of the armor add-ons used to make it. 9I like the piece, I just don't know how I feel about it's application on Vader. I'm talking about the square vented piece.)

Also I have noticed a lot of people wishing for Vader to have used the new shoulder pad piece in silver/black/pearl dark gray (not necessarily here, just in general), however as I mentioned elsewhere that is impossible with Vader's current build, because the placement of the shoulders is too low and putting those pieces on would have restricted movement, and the only way to fix that is to remove the armor add-ons near his neck, which then makes his upper body more hollow. 

Edited by VBBN

Fair enough, I personally don't mind the gunmetal all too much, although I'm not a big fan of the use of the armor add-ons used to make it. 9I like the piece, I just don't know how I feel about it's application on Vader. I'm talking about the square vented piece.)

Also I have noticed a lot of people wishing for Vader to have used the new shoulder pad piece in silver/black/pearl dark gray (not necessarily here, just in general), however as I mentioned elsewhere that is impossible with Vader's current build, because the placement of the shoulders is too low and putting those pieces on would have restricted movement, and the only way to fix that is to remove the armor add-ons near his neck, which then makes his upper body more hollow.

Yeah, I think the add-ons used for his shoulders were chosen for their size (big enough for a figure his size and able to nest together to cover more area and bulk up the arms a bit) than for their shaping (which is more complex than the actual armor from the movies). Truth be told, the squarish armor add-on isn't my favorite either, yet I end up using it a lot just because of how effectively it bulks up a normal shell while still conforming close to the ordinary shape of one.

I think the TECHNIC-based torso build is because this is Darth Vader, probably the most iconic villain ever.  The set is going to have some appeal to older LEGO or Star Wars fans in a way that, say, Commander Cody won't, and I suspect the designers wanted to avoid a "just a skeleton and shells omg star wars is RUINED FOREVER thanks lego" reaction.

And I think it works better than the standard CCBS build, giving him a more solid appearance.  He still doesn't look quite right, but I think it's close enough for a constraction figure that only really has one specialized mold.

OpAXNpl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I can see how the body might be a little bit too complex for what it is trying to achieve, but HECK I'm sold. That's the type of complex technic building mixed with CCBS I've wanted to see. Looks like fun overall.

Also the figure looks pretty good. Thanks for the review. Price might be high but I think I can justify this purchase.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg