Who is the Most Underrated Bionicle Character?

Toa o Uria

You've gotta feel bad for some of the 2009 sets that only appeared in serials, graphic novels, and the other ancillary parts of the story.  Especially if you got the set before knowing its place in the story.  "Wow, I wonder what my Thornatus V9 does in the story! ... Oh, the guy's name is actually Perditus and he doesn't do anything... Great..."

Edited by SPIRIT
  • Upvote 8

I would have to say Umbra. He has that Donatello Saber and he has a Rhotuka Spinner! Just freakin awesome!

He was the last guy to have the spinner, if memory serves me right.

You've gotta feel bad for some of the 2009 sets that only appeared in serials, graphic novels, and the other ancillary parts of the story.  Especially if you got the set before knowing its place in the story.  "Wow, I wonder what my Thornatus V9 does in the story! ... Oh, the guy's name is actually Perditus and he doesn't do anything... Great..."

I liked 2009, it just seemed that there were too many characters and not enough for them all to do, sort of like 2001-2003 with all the matoran.

Hmm. Maybe Tuma, and the Skrall in-general (under-appreciated, maybe not underrated). And I liked the Bohrok-Kal.

Edited by Iaredios Paerkenon
  • Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Nocturn

No-one seems to like Nocturn...

He is an angry brute that committed genocide who's set came with the all too common bush blade. Hmm, I wonder why no one likes him...

I still wish I had gotten him for those glow-in-the-dark pieces though, not to mention all the lime green limbs and armor.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

Nocturn

He is an angry brute that committed genocide who's set came with the all too common bush blade. Hmm, I wonder why no one likes him...

I still wish I had gotten him for those glow-in-the-dark pieces though, not to mention all the lime green limbs and armor.

THIS. I think Nocturn is underrated for that reason. I bought him and he's the main contributor to my Toa of Plantlife MOC because of the lime green. Nocturn is underrated because he has four arms, glow-in-the-dark pieces, lime pieces, a cool-butt name, and a SILVER TENTACLE. I LOVE THAT TENTACLE. I NEED MORE OF THOSE.

Edit: ... Um, to detract from the tentacle weirdness, I'd just like to say that I wished he'd gotten more significance storywise - he barely appears anywhere. If I'm not wrong, he isn't even in the comics. It's sad.

Edited by The Editor

wake_up_sheeple.png

My choice would probably be Umbra. I always thought he was a cool character. He could turn his body into a beam of light, after all. That is just awesome! I really would've liked to have seen more of him in the story. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Umbra because people stop and judge by the wheels. Other than that the misc characters from vehicle sets. 

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

The toa hordika. As much as people seem to hate them, I always loved them and appreciated their bizzare appearance and build.

People hate the Hordika? O_o

Oh man, you have no idea just how many people hated 2005's sets. I for one liked them (lots of nostalgia for that year), wish I had gotten Sidorak though.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Yah know, the Bahrag Queens always appealed to me. It's not that they're disliked, but generally people don't think about them that much.

I also wish that the Glatorian got more credit (if they all can count as one character in this scenario). The way that they were designed introduced new and creative ways to utilize the Inika and Makuta builds, plus the Thornax game was just all types of awesome. Such a shame that everyone dismissively scorns them because of the fact that they use the Inika builds. 

Edited by Irrie: The Loremaster
  • Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

I am, huehuehuehuehue.

In all seriousness, I'd likely either say the Matoran that only appeared once, (Vohon, Kailani, Agni, etc.) or the Toa Hagah, (how come we only ever saw two members of a six member team? (With that logic in mind, would the Toa Mangai be underrated too? they're a huge team with only one of them ever appearing (set wise, that is (Oh dear, I'm putting parenthesis within themselves, this is bad, (very bad, (is it not?))))))

I think that in terms of story, Onua was one of the most underrated characters and the most underrated Toa.  He did a lot of the heavy lifting (pun intended) but probably never got all the glamor he deserved unlike others like Tahu or Lewa.

• Upvote 1

Set wise: every Matoran before they turned into a Toa! We only have one Takua pre-Toa figure, only two Jallers, and not a single pre Matoran Toa Metru, not a single one!

Also the Turaga lacked in love, we only got seven Turaga sets (8 if you count a hard to get freebie as Turaga Lihkan). This is very weird seeing that the Turaga appeared in comics and books all the way up until G1 ended.

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

• 1 month later...

Sidorak.

People tend to remember his amiably incompetent portrayal in the Web of Shadows movie. They tend to forget the cunning tactician/manipulator and fierce (if privately insecure) warrior he's portrayed as in the novelisation, the encyclopaedias, the novels, and everything else. He may have one his position through good old subterfuge, but he had the strength and smarts to beat anyone to challenge him once he gained it. That is, until he met Keetongu.

And in response to The Editor: You're wrong there, but in a happy way. Nocturn DID appear in the webcomics (Ignition arc), first being hypnotised and recruited by Takadox in a stunning piece of artwork, and then inadvertently rescuing  Mantax, Kalmah and Takadox from the sealed prison by karate-chopping it open through sheer strength and awesome alone. After all, he did break the island. His last appearance in the comics  is being beaten up by Hydraxon.

And yes, that tentacle are awesome. He uses it for playing Chopin - Op. 9 No. 2 (Nocturnes geddit?)

• Upvote 2

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

I'd have to say the glatorian. They had a lot more potential and had G1 continued could have been really interesting characters. But for some reason a lot of people don't seem to like them (maybe it was because they weren't explored enough). 

it's because they weren't toa or from the MU. People throw dog fits if anything changes from what they are used to, be it good, bad, or neutral.

Edited by Sir Iaredios
  • Upvote 2

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I don't know about underrated. I think the BIONICLE community places a relatively balanced emphasis on those that aren't hugely popular. Overrated I might have some opinions on.

If I had to choose, I'd probably say the Voya Nui Resistance. They were probably the most developed matoran since the Chronicler's Company, but that's not saying much. And the story potential from Velika as the Great Being is a tremendous missed opportunity. As many have mentioned before, Kazi would probably go berserk if he found out.

How well will you die?

MISERIX! Why does everyone forget about Miserix? People are complaining about the underuse of mediocre-to-mildly-entertaining characters such as Nocturn and the Voya Nui Resistance Team, but this anti-heroic Makuta is the epitome of forgotten characters. It really shouldn't be so.

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

Nocturn

I loved Nocturn! He was actually one of my sets to play with from 2007, and I was disappointed with how easily he was killed off in the story.

In terms of other underrated characters, I think Mazeka and Vultraz should be on there. Also Mutran. We didn't see much of him in the second half of 2008.

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

• 3 weeks later...

On a second thought: The Glatorian, Agori and the Skrall. Man, I loved their characters, their builds, the Thornax game, everything about them. A couple more new sets would have been lovely, as would maybe another year or two in the story for them (or maybe one more novel, like Raid on Vulcanus, with an all Bara Magna cast, or even better, a Skrall novel (though there'd be many characters just called 'a Skrall'. Either of those would  have been amazing, and we were lucky to get a few first-class serials and some great podcasts).   

2009 is one of my favourite years for Bionicle. And I will fight any who dare challenge me by criticising it. Also, 2005 was a good year - there were a few problems but in general, it was a fine year set-wise as well as story-wise. This isn't just because I became a Bionicle fan in this year.

In general, the Bara Magna sets are not underrated as such, just... skimmed over slightly.

Edited by Erasmus Graves

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

Lord Solek .

All hail the mighty Lord Solek : High King of the Solekian Empire .

• Upvote 1

"I gave up a millennium ago; they're just far too simple minded. It's as if they actually require a soul of immoral energy to guide them. They only listen to their false idols and these so called 'geniuses' who claim to have a more complex understanding of life, rather than a man who offers nothing but a chance for amelioration. Everyone's too distracted by the concept of 'freedom' that they forgot what the true purpose of life is.

But when you care too much... and rebuke... and rebuke... and rebuke... yet you fail to mend due to in denial fools, you give up. Give up and watch them crumble."

that's The Khan for ya.

Google Plus

prototype mocs

1st Associative Vegeta