How Bionicle Should've Ended

Toa o Uria

I think they should have woken Mata Nui at the end of '03
and then they could have still done their prequel years in Metru Nui
and then after that they could still have the Piraka on Voya Nui (or some other island), but now without all the convoluted baggage they needed to keep the mata nui saga going on for so long.

• Upvote 2

It should have ended with a more epic TLR and the end of the Battle of Bara Magna, no loose ends and continuous plots still hanging around. Evil is slain, paradise is reformed, the lost ones have returned to paradise, and the future for all lies in their own hands and not in those of greater powers such as Mata Nui or The Makuta.

There could still be some mysteries, but those needn't be completely answered. This is Bionicle, after all. :)  After much of the mist has been cleared from your ruined grove, be content with what you have uncovered in the writings and leavings of old. Leave the rest to future generations to fan away.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

The half-finished serials should never have been begun in the first place. They never really went anywhere and they let G1 end as an incomplete story.

I agree with this. As for how bionicle should've ended, Tahu should've been joined by his teammates since they're the ones who started bionicle, so they should be the ones to finish it. They could've teamed up with Mata Nui and formed the world's first Toa Nui to combat the GSR, leading to an epic battle that leads to Teridax being expelled out of the GSR and into the atmosphere to dissipate. 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Hmm, let me see... how would I have ended BIONICLE?

Well, I would have brought it all back to where it began: the conflict of two brothers, Mata Nui and Makuta.  Being brothers, they cannot help but attempt to appeal to one another, offer each other one last chance to join forces, but Mata Nui's selflessness and Makuta's selfishness ultimately result in the rejection of these offers.  Then, a final showdown commences between them, with the fates of both the Matoran Universe and the greater universe in their hands.  And you know, that would be an interesting dynamic, with Makuta in control of the Great Spirit robot and the Matoran Universe within, meaning that every blow Mata Nui makes against his brother risks the lives of his own people.  Of course, to stand a chance against his original body, Mata Nui needs a new body that's on a similar scale, but because "Evil is Bigger" is a classic trope, it needs to be smaller and weaker than the Great Spirit robot... so, let's say he gets a prototype robot that was built by the Great Beings on Bara Magna, which exploded thousands of years ago and its pieces scattered across the planet and became one with the geography, resulting in subtle foreshadowing in the 2009 year's map of Bara Magna that is somewhat reminiscent of the subtle foreshadowing in the original island of Mata Nui's geography back in 2001.

While the Mata Nui versus Makuta fight is going in, their own forces partake in an ultimate battle of good versus evil down below on Bara Magna.  We see heroes and villains from across the BIONICLE saga: the Toa Nuva, Toa Mahri, and Glatorian uniting against the combined might of the Rahkshi, Skakdi, and Skrall.  And, to take advantage of this, LEGO can release one last wave of sets based upon these BIONICLE all-stars, including never-before-released ensemble darkhorses such as Nektann and Samuel L. Jackson the Rahkshi of Heat-Vision.  And, reminiscent of the old days of Kanohi and Krana, Tahu (who is in his original Toa Mata form, because I believe that is far more iconic than his Toa Nuva form) has to go on a quest to collect six ancient mystical macguffins, including a classic golden Kanohi Hau, that will be crucial to defeating the bad guys and saving the day.  And, in one more hearkening to ye olde days of 2001, the final comic cover should feature these aforementioned all-stars in a similar pose to the Toa Mata's group pose in the very first comic.

Meanwhile, Mata Nui is nearly defeated by Makuta, since the latter is bigger, faster, and stronger, too.  He is almost dead... not big surprise.  But then, oh the irony, Makuta's own evil schemes bring about his downfall: he uses the Great Spirit robot's original purpose, to pull in Aqua Magna and Bota Magna, in a spectacular effort to completely demolish Mata Nui and the armies fighting on Bara Magna.  But then, Mata Nui, in a last-ditch effort to save his people, shoves Makuta in the path of an incoming chunk of Aqua Magna, the very moon that Makuta caused Mata Nui to crash-land upon so many years ago, and it kills Makuta (Metru Nui is a necessary sacrifice... don't worry; everybody else known by name, including our dear Tiribomba, survives the impact).  Then, with his remaining strength, Mata Nui finishes the job and recreates Spherus Magna, bringing the Matoran (and everybody else) to the very paradise promised by the Turaga in the Legend of Mata Nui.

Finally, when all is said and done, Mata Nui's body dies, but his spirit remains in the legendary Kanohi Ignika, once again bringing a lost spiritual element back to both the Great Spirit and the Masks of Power.  He bids his farewell to his people, as it is finally time for them to live their own lives and create their own future without him.  Then, he goes back to sleep.  Oh, how things come full circle.

And that is the way... of the BIONICLE.

... But, who am I kidding?  Nobody would like an ending like that!

Also, that's totally how it should have ended.  That's right, I said "ended".  Meaning "no serial cliffhangers left hanging, doomed to never be resolved".

• Upvote 5

It should've ended in 2008, just without Makuta taking over the GSR and ejecting the Ignika. Instead, balance is restored, and the shockwave from the Codrex destroys Teridax's life-force.

The problem with this kind of proposition, in my opinion, is that it nullifies years of building up Teridax as a villain.

Teridax gets a lot of criticism for having been an impossibly good chessmaster in later years. To be honest, a lot of that can probably be traced to Time Trap. But at that point, it was a very welcome characterization. I for one had been getting tired of Teridax's constant reintroduction to the story by that point, which as far as I was concerned involved continually bringing back a mostly ineffectual villain. Time Trap redeemed him in my eyes by establishing that Teridax was a meticulous schemer and planner, whose ambitions went much farther than his previous actions alone would suggest.

Now, you could argue that this characterization became just as tiresome as his previous, less hypercompetent characterization had been. But my point is that it persisted. 2006 spent a lot of time hinting at Teridax's return and continued influence (a welcome change from 2002, where Teridax's presence was entirely absent, making his return in 2003 seem like it came out of nowhere). 2007 featured Teridax as a character once more, and featured more of his role as a manipulator than pretty much any previous year. And 2008 may have once again forced him into the background, but his plot still remained at the forefront due to the major presence of the Brotherhood of Makuta.

My point isn't that Teridax's victory was the only acceptable conclusion to all those years of buildup (indeed, I consider it a bad thing, since the takeaway was that almost all of the Toa's previous endeavors had been in vain). But as Bionicle's lead villain, it would not be a fitting end for Teridax if he were destroyed simply because of a fatal flaw in his own scheme (especially since that would establish that, despite his plot's failure, he still would have managed to keep it a secret and play the Toa like puppets until the very end).

If Teridax were to fail in 2008, he at least deserved to do so through the Toa's direct intervention—someone should have discovered his plot, and someone should have directly set out to stop it before it was brought to fruition, and, best-case-scenario, his end would have come as the result of a gripping final battle instead of simply sputtering out, deep in the heart of Mata Nui, with no one even there to witness it. Takanuva would have been the ideal character to fill this role—instead of just hopping randomly through dimensions before landing in Karda Nui too late to accomplish much of anything useful, it could have been far more satisfying to give the sidelined Toa of Light a chance to play detective and stop Teridax's plot in the nick of time.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I would have maybe liked to see the Nuva back in there original Nuva forms, fighting together as a team. Maybe they could have fought their way into the control center of the GSR with the help of mini mata nui, and overridden teridax's control. It could have been a final epic journey through the matoran universe. Mata nui could have then resumed his control of the GSR, reunited the pieces of spherus magna, given his speech to all the matoran and Agori and what not, and then taken back off into the outer universe to continue his journey of learning. Or maybe in his act of replenishing the planet, it would drain the GSR fully and we could have had basically the same ending.

That all being said though, I do love the final fistfight between the two super robots. A final

Confrontation of terry and mata nui is pretty much the perfect ending scenario. All of the other stuff going on during their fight, and the build up to it, is a little whacky and wild, but the actual even of the two robots fighting just plain rules. I just wish we got a movie or animation where we got to see them beat each other up. The idea of mata nui using an actual piece of the planet to destroy teridax forever is just awesome. It's like the perfect nail in the coffin of teridax's reign.

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

01 to 03: should have been the Toa Mata.

04 to 05: should stay the flashback. Toa Metru/Hordika. Metru Nui would exist in another dimension.

06: should have been the Jaller, Hali,ETC team. The Toa Nuva become Turaga and make the new team into Toa

07: should have been with the Matoran of Voya Nui becoming Toa.

08: Battle to reach the Dimension Metru Nui is in.

09: they reach the dimension Metru Nui is in, start gathering allies, and fighting the warlords that have taken over.

10: Battle to reclaim Metru Nui from Makuta and his swarms of Rakshi, corrupted Toa and Matoran.

Makuta is an eldritch abomination and Mata Nui is an actual god.

The surprise was vampires!

Takanuva would have been the ideal character to fill this role—instead of just hopping randomly through dimensions before landing in Karda Nui too late to accomplish much of anything useful, it could have been far more satisfying to give the sidelined Toa of Light a chance to play detective and stop Teridax's plot in the nick of time.

I was trying to think of a reply for this topic but couldn't put it down right, but really this is a good idea, Takanuva was supposed to be a hero of legend, with his destiny being to destroy makuta forever and save mata-nui. it feels like cheating him that in the end he had essentially no part in that, and instead was shoehorned and/or sidelined into this absurd dimension-hopping sub-plot that, surprise surprise, didn't help him OR mata-nui at all.

But Takua was the chronicler, he likes to explore, to look into things. heck, all of MNOG should show if anyone is going to be snooping around where they don't belong it's him. and as a toa, he could combine that dangerous curiosity with his newer responsibility to scope out, and take down makuta from the inside. before he takes full control of their world.

that's the sort of 2008 ending we needed.

(even though i love bara magna, it was kinda a scrap from the start...)

• Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I imagine the if HISHE on YouTube had done this...

Makuta "Brother, I have come to destroy you!"

Mata Nui "Why? You already cast me out of my body, control all of the Matoran, and got everything you ever wanted. Besides, I am in a smaller robot, you pretty much have won the fight."

Makuta "I guess your right..."

Mata Nui "Besides, why not let all the Toa, Turaga, and Matoran fighting you go free and come over to my body. Less likely that they will damage you or dare I say 'put you to sleep' and steel your body from you?"

Makuta "Your right brother: never thought of it that way. Go free puny Matoran, leave and let my dark realm continue in peace!"

(We see thousands of beings leave Makuta's foot and run into Mata Nui's)

Makuta "Thanks for your advice, now I'm going to go and kill that Makeohero robot guy, his bot's give me the creeps."

Mata Nui "What a great idea! I'll come with you!"

(We see the two robots smashing Hero Factory to bits, followed by a tagline Coming Soon: Bionicle 2011...)

(The scene cuts back to Bara Magna... We see Kiina)

Kiina "Hey, were do you think your going! Come back you JERK!!!"

• Upvote 2

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

I imagine the if HISHE on YouTube had done this...

Makuta "Brother, I have come to destroy you!"

Mata Nui "Why? You already cast me out of my body, control all of the Matoran, and got everything you ever wanted. Besides, I am in a smaller robot, you pretty much have won the fight."

Makuta "I guess your right..."

Mata Nui "Besides, why not let all the Toa, Turaga, and Matoran fighting you go free and come over to my body. Less likely that they will damage you or dare I say 'put you to sleep' and steel your body from you?"

Makuta "Your right brother: never thought of it that way. Go free puny Matoran, leave and let my dark realm continue in peace!"

(We see thousands of beings leave Makuta's foot and run into Mata Nui's)

Makuta "Thanks for your advice, now I'm going to go and kill that Makeohero robot guy, his bot's give me the creeps."

Mata Nui "What a great idea! I'll come with you!"

(We see the two robots smashing Hero Factory to bits, followed by a tagline Coming Soon: Bionicle 2011...)

(The scene cuts back to Bara Magna... We see Kiina)

Kiina "Hey, were do you think your going! Come back you JERK!!!"

Not going to lie, that last bit made me laugh.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

It should have ended 10 years later. That's probably enough time to go through the GB civil war arcs and figuring out most of the destinies

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

It should have ended 10 years later. That's probably enough time to go through the GB civil war arcs and figuring out most of the destinies

Thank goodness we didn't have to wait through all THAT. Doubling the theme's lifespan even after the main story had been resolved just to tie up every loose end would have been unbearable, not to mention probably killing any chance of the theme being remembered as anything but a total failure.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

It would have been nice to have it ended chronologically on 2003 and still had the metru-nui prequel (though not the web of shadows arc, I felt like that was just crammed into the story at the last moment)

Though the ending of Bionicle was as it should have been: two giant robots facing off. Though things needed to go differently for that to have been perfect, and no stars.

If Teridax were to fail in 2008, he at least deserved to do so through the Toa's direct intervention—someone should have discovered his plot, and someone should have directly set out to stop it before it was brought to fruition, and, best-case-scenario, his end would have come as the result of a gripping final battle instead of simply sputtering out, deep in the heart of Mata Nui, with no one even there to witness it. Takanuva would have been the ideal character to fill this role—instead of just hopping randomly through dimensions before landing in Karda Nui too late to accomplish much of anything useful, it could have been far more satisfying to give the sidelined Toa of Light a chance to play detective and stop Teridax's plot in the nick of time.

I like this idea. And he should have had Krakua go with him too, so the latter could have more character development. 

It does have the problem of the Hagah and the fighting Order members in the Core Processor, but we could have the "standard Toa rally cry" to fix that. 

And I would have missed the giant robot fight. Tradeoffs. 

It should have ended it in 2008 but with one difference that the GIANT Mata Nui robot wakes up and Makuta does not take control of the robot and he is on the run maybe that is worse then 2009-2010 but hey that's my opinion.

I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the Matoran Universe

Well, if Lego had never cancelled the fifth and sixth Bionicle movies, we would get a different and extended. It would be where Mata Nui (in his Prototype Robot body), the Toa Nuva, Toa Mahri, and all other Toa, Order of Mata Nui, Artahka, Glatorian, and other good guys would join forces to destroy Makuta Teridax (in the GSR body), who also joined forces with the Rahkshi, Dark Hunters, Roodaka, the Piraka, Barraki, Karzahni the tyrant, Makuta Miserix (if mind-controlled), Nektann and other Skakdi, Skrall, Bone Hunters, Vorox, disbanded Iron Tribe members, and other bad guys, in a more epic battle in Bara Magna than in the 2010 storyline. The Element Lords and Tren Krom would join the fight to help defend innocent people and Bara Magna. I would imagine the battle to be like the movie, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, that way. I know it sounds a lot, but it would a very great way to conclude the story, to reflect how worth it are the good guys' adventures, leading up to this. Anyway, the heroes would go inside the GSR's head and destroy Teridax there, so they would win the battle.

Mata Nui wouldnreturn to control the GSR and restore Spherus Magna. The Great Beings would sense it and would come quickly back to the planet to see it restored and thank the good guys for doing it, so every good person would have a huge victory party as they would have peace with each other. The End. End of the whole Bionicle story. Man, it would super epic if that could happen.

A toy wave would be larger than the one in 2010. It would be cool if the battle would be in the sixth and final movie.

Since we noticed that the serials are not finished, which leaves the story unfinished, too, they should have been finished right now. It feels like the Amazing Spider-Man movies in 2012-2014 that way.:(

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Hmm, let me see... how would I have ended BIONICLE?

Well, I would have brought it all back to where it began: the conflict of two brothers, Mata Nui and Makuta.  Being brothers, they cannot help but attempt to appeal to one another, offer each other one last chance to join forces, but Mata Nui's selflessness and Makuta's selfishness ultimately result in the rejection of these offers.  Then, a final showdown commences between them, with the fates of both the Matoran Universe and the greater universe in their hands.  And you know, that would be an interesting dynamic, with Makuta in control of the Great Spirit robot and the Matoran Universe within, meaning that every blow Mata Nui makes against his brother risks the lives of his own people.  Of course, to stand a chance against his original body, Mata Nui needs a new body that's on a similar scale, but because "Evil is Bigger" is a classic trope, it needs to be smaller and weaker than the Great Spirit robot... so, let's say he gets a prototype robot that was built by the Great Beings on Bara Magna, which exploded thousands of years ago and its pieces scattered across the planet and became one with the geography, resulting in subtle foreshadowing in the 2009 year's map of Bara Magna that is somewhat reminiscent of the subtle foreshadowing in the original island of Mata Nui's geography back in 2001.

While the Mata Nui versus Makuta fight is going in, their own forces partake in an ultimate battle of good versus evil down below on Bara Magna.  We see heroes and villains from across the BIONICLE saga: the Toa Nuva, Toa Mahri, and Glatorian uniting against the combined might of the Rahkshi, Skakdi, and Skrall.  And, to take advantage of this, LEGO can release one last wave of sets based upon these BIONICLE all-stars, including never-before-released ensemble darkhorses such as Nektann and Samuel L. Jackson the Rahkshi of Heat-Vision.  And, reminiscent of the old days of Kanohi and Krana, Tahu (who is in his original Toa Mata form, because I believe that is far more iconic than his Toa Nuva form) has to go on a quest to collect six ancient mystical macguffins, including a classic golden Kanohi Hau, that will be crucial to defeating the bad guys and saving the day.  And, in one more hearkening to ye olde days of 2001, the final comic cover should feature these aforementioned all-stars in a similar pose to the Toa Mata's group pose in the very first comic.

Meanwhile, Mata Nui is nearly defeated by Makuta, since the latter is bigger, faster, and stronger, too.  He is almost dead... not big surprise.  But then, oh the irony, Makuta's own evil schemes bring about his downfall: he uses the Great Spirit robot's original purpose, to pull in Aqua Magna and Bota Magna, in a spectacular effort to completely demolish Mata Nui and the armies fighting on Bara Magna.  But then, Mata Nui, in a last-ditch effort to save his people, shoves Makuta in the path of an incoming chunk of Aqua Magna, the very moon that Makuta caused Mata Nui to crash-land upon so many years ago, and it kills Makuta (Metru Nui is a necessary sacrifice... don't worry; everybody else known by name, including our dear Tiribomba, survives the impact).  Then, with his remaining strength, Mata Nui finishes the job and recreates Spherus Magna, bringing the Matoran (and everybody else) to the very paradise promised by the Turaga in the Legend of Mata Nui.

Finally, when all is said and done, Mata Nui's body dies, but his spirit remains in the legendary Kanohi Ignika, once again bringing a lost spiritual element back to both the Great Spirit and the Masks of Power.  He bids his farewell to his people, as it is finally time for them to live their own lives and create their own future without him.  Then, he goes back to sleep.  Oh, how things come full circle.

And that is the way... of the BIONICLE.

... But, who am I kidding?  Nobody would like an ending like that!

Also, that's totally how it should have ended.  That's right, I said "ended".  Meaning "no serial cliffhangers left hanging, doomed to never be resolved".

This is basically it. Stars was weird and disjointed to me because the story only involved a few heroes we knew and no intact Toa teams participated in the battle between good and evil. Like, what? Not that I'm unappreciative of how the story team had to push for that ending, though. We need to remember that they were rushing this and under a lot of pressure, and I doubt they could've pulled this off properly (save the great ending listed above).

Of course, it is Greg's fault for carrying on with the serials, in a way... But, eh. Whatever. I don't think he thought he'd have to leave it off as a cliffhangerish ball of frustration for the fandom, so we can't really blame him. But I do wish he hadn't written those.

wake_up_sheeple.png