LEGO Dimensions Released with Initial Expansion Packs

Hapori Tohu

Dimensions Portal

Today marks the release of the latest LEGO video game by TT Games: LEGO Dimensions. As something being anticipated since April, getting the chance to have your favorite LEGO characters (and some new ones) interact with one another sounds exciting. The $100 Starter Pack will give you everything for the main game, but the $15-$30 character packs will yield even more fun with levels and character shenanigans. There are even some deals at a few stores, most notably Toys R Us' deal of a $10 gift card with a $35 Dimensions purchase. If you ask nicely they might allow multiple uses of this deal (and don't forget about Bricktober). Members of Best Buy's Gamer's Club can make use of their membership, and there is always LEGO's own VIP Program. However you buy it, it's been one of the biggest games of the year so far, so we can only hope for the best.

View the full article

Ehhh...  On one hand I applaud the effort made to make a LEGO game with the toy-based system that's made Skylanders and Disney Infinity hits.

But on the other... I am REALLY unsure as to how/why Tt keeps making LEGO games the way they do.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but it really seems like they're rehashing the same formula over and over again.  Then again, I haven't played many of the newer games, so I have no idea.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nekka  Banar  Moku  Savok

Ehhh...  On one hand I applaud the effort made to make a LEGO game with the toy-based system that's made Skylanders and Disney Infinity hits.

But on the other... I am REALLY unsure as to how/why Tt keeps making LEGO games the way they do.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but it really seems like they're rehashing the same formula over and over again.  Then again, I haven't played many of the newer games, so I have no idea.

Well, the basic formula has served them quite well. At the same time, they HAVE innovated on that formula in a number of ways. LEGO CIty Undercover opted for an open-world, GTA-style game design and introduced a lot of gameplay mechanics based on the Wii U gamepad (since it was exclusive to that system). LEGO Ninjago: Shadow of Ronin introduced a Spinjitzu mechanic that lets you defeat enemies and solve puzzles, as well as "scrap builds" where you collect segments of a model throughout a level and then assemble them. And now LEGO Dimensions is introducing a number of game mechanics based around the Toy Pad itself, like the ability to warp your character to different positions on the map, change their size, or grant them different elemental powers.

My family hasn't gotten a lot of the more conventional licensed games so I can't really tell you what any of those might do to break away from the typical gameplay patterns of LEGO games, but I'm sure most of them have their own share of new gameplay mechanics to mix things up.

• Upvote 1

Not going to lie, I really do not approve of the micro-transactions/additional purchases that the game provides. In general, they're an easy way for developers to squeeze a few more bucks out of people. What's worse is that this game is aimed at kids, who are going to be less likely to be critical consumers. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I don't have a gaming system that could play the game, so it would kind of be pointless for me to get it right now. :P

But even if I did, I would still wait for the price to go down before really considering to get the game. Don't get me wrong. From the footage I've seen, it does look like a fun game. And I get kind of understand why its priced the way it is. But its still a little high for me, and I would rather wait for it to go down before getting it, if I ever do get it.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Well, the basic formula has served them quite well. At the same time, they HAVE innovated on that formula in a number of ways. LEGO CIty Undercover opted for an open-world, GTA-style game design and introduced a lot of gameplay mechanics based on the Wii U gamepad (since it was exclusive to that system). LEGO Ninjago: Shadow of Ronin introduced a Spinjitzu mechanic that lets you defeat enemies and solve puzzles, as well as "scrap builds" where you collect segments of a model throughout a level and then assemble them. And now LEGO Dimensions is introducing a number of game mechanics based around the Toy Pad itself, like the ability to warp your character to different positions on the map, change their size, or grant them different elemental powers.

My family hasn't gotten a lot of the more conventional licensed games so I can't really tell you what any of those might do to break away from the typical gameplay patterns of LEGO games, but I'm sure most of them have their own share of new gameplay mechanics to mix things up.

Well, I'm glad to see they haven't simply just kept releasing the same game over and over again with cosmetic differences.  Maybe I'll try LEGO Dimensions, but then again it's still quite out of my price range D:

BZPRPG Profiles

Nekka  Banar  Moku  Savok

If BIONICLE is confirmed for LEGO Dimensions, I'm getting it ASAP.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png