I've seen this idea toyed with before, but not so much in-depth.

We look at the villagers of Okoto, and they are all separated into six elemental tribes. If my "trans-bone = skin color" theory holds true here, then each tribe has a unique skin color (fire has orange, ice has light blue, jungle has green, etc). But what about Ekimu and Makuta?

The tribes have apparently been around for a long time, most likely dating back before the Mask Makers were born. This would mean that they are descended from one tribe or another. Someone (don't remember who) wrote a story about how the MMs were the children of a Water villager and an Earth villager, each taking the traits of one tribe. This theory stems from that idea.

But, if you look at Ekimu, he doesn't have any dark blue, while Kivoda has quite a bit. Ekimu's build more closely resembles Izotor's. Furthermore, Ekimu's golden Protector mask is topped with light blue (like the Ice mask) and his not-gold parts are light blue or silver, much like Izotor. 

And then there's the whole saw blade shield thing for both Ekimu and Izotor. A symbol of the tribe, perhaps?

Next part: Are they really brothers? Ekimu and Makuta are constantly called brothers, and we know that these Okotoans reproduce, hence the children. So, a biological bond isn't out of the question. But what if they're not? Could one of them be adopted? Look at Thor and Loki. If theirs is a similar case, then Makuta and Ekimu might be distant relatives or not really related at all, but raised as brothers of circumstance. 

So, whaddaya think? Could Ekimu be an Ice villager and Makuta an Earth villager?

Or is my late night think-train going off it's rails? :P

• Upvote 10

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Didn't the tribes arise in the aftermath of Ekimu and Makuta's battle?  I thought I read somewhere that Okoto used to be less diversified in its climate and that this changed in the fallout of Makuta and Ekimu's battle.  It certainly does seem that the mountains that divide the island didn't really appear until Makuta put on the Mask of Control.  If that's the case, then the differentiation between the tribes might have been irrelevant when they were still awake.  (Note that in the first animation you can see villagers of different colouring all living together).

Admittedly, I could be entirely off-base here.  I just got the sense that Makuta and Ekimu transcended the tribes.

• Upvote 2

Didn't the tribes arise in the aftermath of Ekimu and Makuta's battle?  I thought I read somewhere that Okoto used to be less diversified in its climate and that this changed in the fallout of Makuta and Ekimu's battle. 

No, the tribes still existed. Remember, the six Protectors from each tribe came and found Ekimu's body shortly after the big kaboom. Why would there be six Protectors if there weren't six tribes to protect?

IMO, I think Ekimu has no element.

He and Makuta are simply unique, as they seem to be the only ones who can create masks of power.

Because of their unique abilities, they transcend the division of the tribes and are more individualistic.

Vakama made Kanohi, but Matau didn't. In G1, it was a skill, not a power. Why should it be any different in G2? Ekimu and Makuta would have had to learn the skill and practiced at it. They're just the only ones on Okoto skilled enough to make fully-functioning masks of power.

Edited by T1Shadow: The Artisan
  • Upvote 3

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Didn't the tribes arise in the aftermath of Ekimu and Makuta's battle?  I thought I read somewhere that Okoto used to be less diversified in its climate and that this changed in the fallout of Makuta and Ekimu's battle. 

No, the tribes still existed. Remember, the six Protectors from each tribe came and found Ekimu's body shortly after the big kaboom. Why would there be six Protectors if there weren't six tribes to protect?

He and Makuta are simply unique, as they seem to be the only ones who can create masks of power.

Because of their unique abilities, they transcend the division of the tribes and are more individualistic.

Vakama made Kanohi, but Matau didn't. In G1, it was a skill, not a power. Why should it be any different in G2? Ekimu and Makuta would have had to learn the skill and practiced at it. They're just the only ones on Okoto skilled enough to make fully-functioning masks of power.

This is G2, not G1.

Also notice how I said that Ekimu and Makuta made masks of power.

I never said the other tribesmen couldn't make masks, but it seems they can't imbue them with power.

So far, there is no instance in which any islander creates any type of mask, aside from Ekimu and Makuta.

• Upvote 3

67685335.jpg             

This is G2, not G1.

I never said the other tribesmen couldn't make masks, but it seems they can't imbue them with power.

So far, there is no instance in which any islander creates any type of mask, aside from Ekimu and Makuta.

1) That's a good point, T1.  Totally forgot about that.

2) I agree, YJLTG.  Why else would the villagers hand their masks down from father to son if they could make their own?  There's definitely a magical quality to Ekimu and Makuta that the other villagers seem to lack.

This is G2, not G1.

I am aware of that. I was making a comparison, because you implied that it's a power or inborn trait that allows them to make powered masks. If you'll recall, the narrator says that the Mask Makers got the powers for the masks from the island's elemental forces, implying that the power is not in them, but is extracted from the environment. It's not them, it's the skills and knowledge that they possess. In any society, you have people who are more inclined to one profession or another, and within professions, you have some that are better than others. Ekimu and Makuta just happen to be the only ones who are really good at making masks. 

Point is, these guys didn't just crawl up out of the ground one day and start making masks. They had an origin, and I'm proposing that they were once children of the tribes Ice and Earth.

If Ekimu was an Ice tribe villager, wouldn't the Protector Izotor brag on it the first chance he got?

Maybe there's a reason he didn't tell Kopaka that particular detail. :P

Well, given that generations have apparently gone by since the Battle Between Brothers, it's possible that no one in the current story remembers or cares what tribe they were from, so Izotor may not even know that. 

But I'm sure some records exist somewhere, so maybe he does know. :P

• Upvote 2

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

To be honest, I thought Ekimu and Makuta's color schemes were meant to give them a more regal appearance, not denote Element/allegiance. 

If you'll recall, the narrator says that the Mask Makers got the powers for the masks from the island's elemental forces, implying that the power is not in them, but is extracted from the environment.

Similarly, what if all villagers are born without an Element and somehow obtain it at some other point? Ekimu and Makuta could very well be the only two "neutral" beings on Okoto.

Edited by FallenCor
  • Upvote 1

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

When I saw the title I thought this would be asking if the masks of Ekimu and Makuta were elemental, which would have been a shrug answer as far as I know, but anywho, this is an nice idea. They certainly could have belonged to a tribe before donning those masks. Could put an interesting twist on future story for the tribe that Ekimu was from... and the tribe that the other guy is from. :P

(As for WHICH tribes, I haven't the foggiest.)

• Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

When I saw the title I thought this would be asking if the masks of Ekimu and Makuta were elemental, which would have been a shrug answer as far as I know, but anywho, this is an nice idea. They certainly could have belonged to a tribe before donning those masks. Could put an interesting twist on future story for the tribe that Ekimu was from... and the tribe that the other guy is from. :P

(As for WHICH tribes, I haven't the foggiest.)

For now, I'm just going with my earlier theory that the transparent parts on the sets (such as the trans-green or blue or purple bones) represent the colored skin beneath the armor. If that holds true in any way, then Ekimu is Ice (or Water, but I get the idea that water is supposed to be represented by dark blue, rather than light blue, if the masks are any indication), and Makuta would be Earth. That's just my take on it. :)

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Or the armour colours within the Ancient City were a personal choice, but out out in the tribes it was different.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Or the armour colours within the Ancient City were a personal choice, but out out in the tribes it was different.

Well, yeah. None of the tribes seem to wear gold armor, but I don't see how that's relevant.

Unless, of course, you were talking about the blue on Ekimu and the purple on Makuta. If so, then I already addressed that, and am following up on that by saying that Ekimu's skin is the same ice-blue as that of Izotor, and Makuta's is purple/violet like Korgot's. I mentioned it in the first post. Before you question why I think that isn't armor, answer this: would you want to wear hot and heavy full-body armor while working all day in an already hot forge? :P

• Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I like this theory, but it poses this question: Why isn't Pohatu entirely lime? Why does Lewa have all black even though his villain has trans apple green, and then his Protector has some yellow?

It's a good idea, but if Brutaka and Axonn taught us anything, you don't need to have an element to be powerful or to even use Kanohi.

• Upvote 1

Maybe they are part of a smaller tribe not yet represented? I only think this way because I still see Makuta as a being of Shadow. Or, maybe, they are different elements than the rest, but came from the same place the Toa did. Remember in the animations it said the Toa had vague memories of Ekimu, so they knew him at one point.

• Upvote 1

~Xeo~

I like this theory, but it poses this question: Why isn't Pohatu entirely lime? Why does Lewa have all black even though his villain has trans apple green, and then his Protector has some yellow?

It's a good idea, but if Brutaka and Axonn taught us anything, you don't need to have an element to be powerful or to even use Kanohi.

Kopaka isn't entirely colored underneath. One theory I had was that they are wearing something like spandex or UnderArmour beneath their armor, an this would be represented by the black bits. So, Pohatu is wearing spandex that covers his torso, left arm, and upper legs, while he leaves his lower legs and his good throwing arm open to the air.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Kopaka isn't entirely colored underneath. One theory I had was that they are wearing something like spandex or UnderArmour beneath their armor, an this would be represented by the black bits. So, Pohatu is wearing spandex that covers his torso, left arm, and upper legs, while he leaves his lower legs and his good throwing arm open to the air.

Wearing black spandex is a very bad idea in a desert. 

I much prefer the opposite - the residents of Okoto have naturally black skin. Pohatu wears lime over his good arm to project it from the scathing sand, and nothing over the other arm to allow heat to dissipate from that side more easily.

I much prefer the opposite - the residents of Okoto have naturally black skin. Pohatu wears lime over his good arm to project it from the scathing sand, and nothing over the other arm to allow heat to dissipate from that side more easily.

So, he's wearing a lime green sleeve and crazy neon disco socks? :P

• Upvote 2

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

So, he's wearing a lime green sleeve and crazy neon disco socks? :P

Hey, I'm not going to question his fashion choices. I've seen plenty of stranger things that live in deserts. :P

But if you apply a bit more thought, it actually makes sense - there actually is a palo verde tree that lives in a desert that is a hip and trendy lime green. Take the bark from that and grind it into plant dye, then dye the clothing green. Then we have Pohatu wearing green, because it's the cheapest plant dye available. 

That is, assuming that the planet Pohatu comes from (if he actually comes from the planets, we actually don't know that) is anything like the Okoto region of sand. With that in mind, this whole thing is probably a stretch. 

• Upvote 2

That is, assuming that the planet Pohatu comes from (if he actually comes from the planets, we actually don't know that) is anything like the Okoto region of sand. With that in mind, this whole thing is probably a stretch. 

On that note, their version of UnderArmour and reasons for wearing it in those conditions could easily differ from ours. We haven't had much chance to explore the Okotoan cultures to know for sure.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

To me I see them at a 7th trip, or rather the aristocracy of the Okoto villagers. If we were in G1 terms, I'd classify them as Av-Matoran. Regardless they are special since they can manipulate the elements in crafting weapons and tools.

• Upvote 1

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Regardless they are special since they can manipulate the elements in crafting weapons and tools.

Again, I don't see how this is relevant to them. It's a learned skill, like anything. For example, I am very good at manipulating LEGO pieces to form decent MOCs, but I'm nowhere near as skilled or successful as someone like DeeVee or Roa McToa. I also know some basic medical skills from my days in Boy Scouts, but I'm no neurosurgeon. The other thing to consider is that the villagers now have been away from the Ancient City for generations, meaning many old skills and knowledge may have been lost. And, think in real-life terms: does everyone need to know how to perform a surgery AND be proficient at fixing cars? No, because you have specially skilled people who do that as a career. Ekimu and Makuta were the best at what they did, so why would anyone else need to know how to make magic masks when those guys were clearly still in their prime before the days of Makuta's betrayal?

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

My impression was that either they possessed no elemental affiliation or were connected to the element of Light (because of the golden armor). Ekimu would have held true to the light, while Makuta became corrupted and fell into Shadow and the Dark arts (mind control, necromancy, etc). But the Ice/Earth connection makes sense too.  ^_^

Tell that to all those people in the "Iron Man" marathon this year.

EDIT: I'm referring to the Utah one.

Utah is a cooler desert than Okoto. The Okoto desert was firmly established to be of the warm variety - they even included cacti, which aren't exactly a prime feature of Utah :P. (Although I wouldn't be so brazen as to say that they don't live up there - I've encountered prickly pears in that area IIRC.)

I'm pretty sure no Iron Man has been hosted in, say, Arizona in the middle of the summer, and all of the participants wore black spandex. Spandex is bad in the desert because tight-fitting clothing in the desert is bad - it traps heat like long underwear and doesn't allow your sweat to evaporate and cool you off. Wearing black is bad because it absorbs more light from the sun and makes you warm up faster. 

Now I'm not going to rule out the idea that the people from Denmark didn't think this through when they designed Pohatu as a set - not everyone has lived in a desert for most of their lives like I have. But I see no harm in interpreting the set in a way that actually makes sense with the climate in question.

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 1

Now I'm not going to rule out the idea that the people from Denmark didn't think this through when they designed Pohatu as a set - not everyone has lived in a desert for most of their lives like I have. But I see no harm in interpreting the set in a way that actually makes sense with the climate in question.

Okay, then don't think of it as spandex, then. :P I just used that as an example because when I did Track and Cross Country, I often wore UnderArmour under my uniform. The comparison was that the black is meant to represent some sort of comfortable clothing underneath the armor, while the trans-colors are the exposed bits. That was the point.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Here's a theory: the inhabitants of Okoto are biomechanical, like MU beings in G1. (You know, like Ryder Windham told us in that interview? ;))

They are not fleshy people with skin wearing weirdly tight-fitting armour. Arguing over what their skin colour underneath is is like arguing over what colour a car's "skin" is under the metal bodywork. The material covering different parts of their body just is different colours.

I do agree with the idea that Ekimu is an Ice villager and Makuta an Earth villager.

It's like with Lhiikan. He had ceremonial golden armour, but he was still a Toa of Fire. And just because at some point in the past he put that armour on (or was rebuilt with it like the Matoran on Naming Day) it doesn't mean all the non-organic material on him is removable armour.

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

Here's a theory: the inhabitants of Okoto are biomechanical, like MU beings in G1. (You know, like Ryder Windham told us in that interview? ;))

They are not fleshy people with skin wearing weirdly tight-fitting armour. Arguing over what their skin colour underneath is is like arguing over what colour a car's "skin" is under the metal bodywork. The material covering different parts of their body just is different colours.

I do agree with the idea that Ekimu is an Ice villager and Makuta an Earth villager.

It's like with Lhiikan. He had ceremonial golden armour, but he was still a Toa of Fire. And just because at some point in the past he put that armour on (or was rebuilt with it like the Matoran on Naming Day) it doesn't mean all the non-organic material on him is removable armour.

Machinery beneath skin beneath armour would technically be biomechanical, just not in the same way as G1.

I'd like to mention, that in my mind, the trans pieces are the parts with elemental energy flowing through them, Pohatu has elemental energy most dominantly flowing through his dominant arm and his legs.

So, what do you think about the Agori and Glatorian? They were biomechanical, in the sense that they were organic beings with mechanical implants. Luke Skywalker is biomechanical, being a fleshy being with a prosthetic robotic hand.

RW said biomechancial, but he never said to what extent. :)

Therefore, they could be fleshy beings with mechanical implants (such as a turret on one's shoulder) wearing armor, which would perfectly constitute a biomechanical being, with lots and lots of colored skin. :P

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I think this is a pretty cool hypothesis, but I lean towards the idea that Makuta and Ekimu's color schemes don't display elemental affiliations, but are just, you know, there. Kind of like how Brutaka in G1 is blue and gold but isn't a Psionics gal, or how Pridak was white but not affiliated with the element of Ice in any way.

Therefore, they could be fleshy beings with mechanical implants (such as a turret on one's shoulder) wearing armor, which would perfectly constitute a biomechanical being, with lots and lots of colored skin. :P

I also really dig the colored skin theory. It makes them seem cooler somehow :^)

• Upvote 1

wake_up_sheeple.png

@T1S

Were the Agori ever referred to as "biomechanical" rather than just "organic with implants"? Regardless, G2 is drawing inspiration from G1's early years, rather than its later years. (And the whole "actually, Agori are just people with armour" thing was a bit of a lurch away from what made BIONICLE unique, so I wouldn't imagine it being that likely to make a comeback.)

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

@T1S

Were the Agori ever referred to as "biomechanical" rather than just "organic with implants"? Regardless, G2 is drawing inspiration from G1's early years, rather than its later years. (And the whole "actually, Agori are just people with armour" thing was a bit of a lurch away from what made BIONICLE unique, so I wouldn't imagine it being that likely to make a comeback.)

Yes, they were, just like the Iron Wolves were "biomechanical," and they were organic creatures modified by the GBs.

Alright, so you say the Okotoans are like the Matoran. Robotic beings that can't reproduce and have children. I think this little guy disagrees with that sentiment. 

Young_Fire_Villager_Animation.png

Also, we're told that there have been "generations" of villagers since the time of Makuta's betrayal. So, unless these guys die and build new villagers using the parts of the old ones, I'm gonna stick with "They are primarily organic beings," since almost all the evidence we've been given thus far points towards that.

• Upvote 2

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

(And the whole "actually, Agori are just people with armour" thing was a bit of a lurch away from what made BIONICLE unique, so I wouldn't imagine it being that likely to make a comeback.)

Interesting take -- I took it the other way. Agori represented the trend, and that would make it more likely these are organic. :shrugs:

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I hypothesize that Makuta and Ekimu are similar to Romulus and Remus. I believe they belong to no tribe. Those two are certainly special compared to the normal Okoto villagers. Both have been in a coma for thousands of years with zero life support. They are immortal. Who knows how long they were alive before the creation of the MoUP. If they were born from two ordinary villagers, who gave them their immortality? A higher being? A magic substance?
If this theory is to hold up, those questions need to be answered.
Come to think of it, those questions need to be answered period, for any theory. 
Maybe Ekimu is the sky and the stars
While Makuta is the Earth and the oceans

They came together to forge the world.
And/or maybe Ekimu is a patron-god like figure for half the tribes, while Makuta is a patron-god like figure for the other half. 

Or maybe Makuta and Ekimu are half-god and half-villager?
Maybe they are half brothers, Ekimu's mother is an Ice villager while Makuta's mother is an Earth Villager
Korgot's great grandmother birthed Makuta confirmed!

• Upvote 1

I hypothesize that Makuta and Ekimu are similar to Romulus and Remus. I believe they belong to no tribe. Those two are certainly special compared to the normal Okoto villagers. Both have been in a coma for thousands of years with zero life support. They are immortal. Who knows how long they were alive before the creation of the MoUP. If they were born from two ordinary villagers, who gave them their immortality? A higher being? A magic substance?

Come to think of it, those questions need to be answered period, for any theory. 

And/or maybe Ekimu is a patron-god like figure for half the tribes, while Makuta is a patron-god like figure for the other half. 

Maybe they are half brothers, Ekimu's mother is an Ice villager while Makuta's mother is an Earth Villager

Well, the Mask of Creation was formed from "magic and solid gold" but nothing actually says Ekimu made it. Also, we don't know what kind of tech they had in the Ancient City, and some of that may have been able to preserve Ekimu's body for all those years. This would nullify any need for them being godlike, as it would have been external tech keeping him preserved, not an immortality--so there goes those questions. And we don't know the full extent of Okotoan history, so we have nothing to measure that by, 

All things considered, I imagine that the MoC and the Mask of Control were both forged long before Ekimu and Makuta ever came into the art. As for what gives them the longevity, if the MoC was imbued with magic, what if the same goes for the Mask of Control? Whatever magic was imbued into the masks might have extended their lifespans to an extent. Again, since we only have such limited insight into Okoto's history, we're just going by what we do know.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Well, the Mask of Creation was formed from "magic and solid gold" but nothing actually says Ekimu made it. Also, we don't know what kind of tech they had in the Ancient City, and some of that may have been able to preserve Ekimu's body for all those years. This would nullify any need for them being godlike, as it would have been external tech keeping him preserved, not an immortality--so there goes those questions. And we don't know the full extent of Okotoan history, so we have nothing to measure that by, 

All things considered, I imagine that the MoC and the Mask of Control were both forged long before Ekimu and Makuta ever came into the art. As for what gives them the longevity, if the MoC was imbued with magic, what if the same goes for the Mask of Control? Whatever magic was imbued into the masks might have extended their lifespans to an extent. Again, since we only have such limited insight into Okoto's history, we're just going by what we do know.

On the contrary, those questions are still on the table - along with your new question: Does Okoto have life support technology? They are either immortal or they had some exterior force keeping them alive. 

There didn't seem to be a whole bunch of life-support systems connected to Ekimu's body when he was in that coffin. I think it would have to be some force, or maybe just standard Bionicle stasis. Like in the G1 archives. 

• Upvote 3

On the contrary, those questions are still on the table - along with your new question: Does Okoto have life support technology? They are either immortal or they had some exterior force keeping them alive. 

And, if you'll look at the next response:

There didn't seem to be a whole bunch of life-support systems connected to Ekimu's body when he was in that coffin. I think it would have to be some force, or maybe just standard Bionicle stasis. Like in the G1 archives. 

That's exactly what I meant. 

Never said what form the tech could have taken. "Life-support" takes many forms: Darth Vader's suit, which is fully technical and is fixed to his body; stasis fields in BIONICLE G1, which take on a mostly energy-based form; and a variety of other life-support systems from dozens of sci-fi shows and movies.

• Upvote 2

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~