How did you envision Mata Nui before 2009?

Logan McOwen

Mata nui was a pivotal character in G1 Bionicle's lore, often portrayed in a light similar to that of a deity. In 2008 however, the mystery of just what Mata Nui truly was was laid to rest, with the reveal of the GSR. But not long after this reveal, the spirit of the machine was ejected into the depths of space, trapped inside the powerful Kanohi Ignika. It crash landed on the barren wasteland of Bara Magna, and constructed a body for its host - Mata Nui himself. We finally had a face to the Great Spirit.

But before 2009, how did you envision Mata Nui? What did you thing he looked like? Did you think we'd ever find out? Were you disappointed when you discovered the truth?

• Upvote 1

I can't remember if it was in a fanfic or some forgotten part of lore, but I always pictured Mata Nui looking very similar to Tahu Mata. The Hau was always shown to be his icon, so the image fit. Of course, his armor was more fancy.

• Upvote 2

It varied during the different stages of the story, for me.

01-03: A sort of formless spirit of light, in contrast to his dark brother, Makuta.

04-05: Still the spirit thing, but now a little more solid. Knowing about the GC and MN falling asleep being connected, I started to get the idea that there was more to him than just a spirit.

06-07: When we were told of "a world that feeds the world," I suddenly gave Mata Nui the form of a huge silver Titan-being with a very ornate (very large) Hau, and that the Toa Inika would literally need to go find his body, locked away at the bottom of some massive cave, and restore life to him, and the Toa Nuva would later travel there to reawaken him.

08: Stayed the same way up until I read one of the serials, and I got other ideas about him that I don't remember well. I tested out different theories about his true form up until the big reveal.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I always imagined him being a giant robotic god, with a build kinda like if the Inika build had babies with the gear function, who would one day come down form the heavens.

And then accidentally step on Metru nui.

I guess I was also kinda close with where he was, although I imagined him actually being the planet, like Cybertron, or resting inside it in a fetal position inside the planet, and then once he was awakened, the planet would explode, leaving only Mata Nui and the inhabitants of the MU.

I thought of him as a titan-sized set and colored with ornate white, gold, and both light and dark silver, all the while wearing an ornate golden hau. It is possible that, had circumstance been different, Mata Nui would have taken such an appearance, an avatar to walk among the mortals. As I imagined him as a physical god (despite his title), I imagined that he lived beneath Mount Ihu in a comatose slumber. Once the phrase 'He is in a specific place that can be traveled to but at the same time was everywhere around you' came out, however, I was lost. The reveal cleared things up so much. :lol:

Edited by Iaredios Paerkenon

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I always thought he just looked like either a divine Matoran as a Biblical allusion (humans were created in God's image) or like a glowing form inhabiting a suit of armor, like Teridax.

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

Mata Nui always seemed like some sort of incorporeal being, until Greg mentioned something along the lines of "finding Mata Nui is easy, but the issue is knowing when you've found him".  That, among other hints, made it seem like Mata Nui was more physical.

After the revelation, and in light of the other clues from 2001 that we've found with hindsight, I thought it was a cool idea.  Although it might have been nice to have a bit more meaning to the whole Hau symbolism if the giant robot were wearing one.  I guess then Mata Nui would look too much like a giant rusty Tahu.

• Upvote 1

I suppose during the early years I thought of him as a literal spirit, an entity without physical form, like a god. After all, temples (places of worship) were dedicated to him. I think I eventually stopped thinking about his appearance after reading some Greg quotes.

Sadly, I don't remember my reaction to learning he was a giant robot with a world of people inside him, though I do remember watching the first video where he wakes up. The one without the second part where his eyes turn red and the Ignika is ejected.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

I always thought of him as either a deity with no real physical form, or just a being that looked, talked, and acted like no other being in the universe. I imagined him as having fancy, shiny armor and had no mask in that latter form. This kind of came true for 2009, which was pretty cool.

But then the giant robot thing came in. BAM! Dreams dead. But once I learned that it was planned from the beginning, I got over it.

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

Honestly, didn't even think of a giant robot, so that was a really awesome surprise. To me I thought Mata Nui was a titan set, like a 9-12ft being like Artakha. If there was no GSM, pretty much envision Artakha to be Mata Nui, but with a Hau

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I thought of him as a picture of a gray floating Hau with "UNKNOWN ???" slapped over it. I didn't assign much importance to him other than the idea that he was some incorporeal living Macguffin. 

Saving Mata Nui's Life: Cost: One Toa from your party, Status: Achievement Unlocked!

Awakening Mata Nui: Cost: Er, battling Makuta who want you to win anyway, Status: Achievement Unlocked!

Whenever I play MNOG I always see him as the face on that rock just floating around. I never really liked the GSR, personally I thought it looked a bit evil even before Makuta took over it.

Even Mata Nui took notice of that when he stared upon his old body through sand-ridden eyes, wondering if that was the reason why he had a camoflauge system in the first place: so people wouldn't see a humongous evil metallic titan and it's face taking up the whole sky as it would bend over to look upon the world in a closer degree.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I actually never thought about what Mata Nui looked like before his true form was revealed. I guess I figured that they would have to show his form at some point, and I would know what he looked like then. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png