Skull Slicer's Mask

It's been speculated about the Skull Spider mask on Slicer's face. What is it and is it a dead skull spider?

Well, I checked his bios, and not one of them actually says that it's a skull spider.

His S@H page says:

This ancient champion has been animated by the dark magic of the Skull Spider Mask, fusing him with his razor-sharp hook blades.

The Skull Spider Mask? Not a SS mask, but "the."

Could that mean something? As it happens, yes.

Let's go back a ways. Anyone remember the animations? Listen to Pohatu just a few seconds into this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3tMEISbX7w

"I wonder what used to be there," he says, as they stare at an empty mask pedestal.

Empty mask pedestal guarded by LoSS? What do you suppose it was? Could it have been the Golden Mask of Skull Spiders? Or, in other words, THE Skull Spider Mask? Where did it go?

We know that the villains drain the powers of the Golden Masks by wearing them, which changes the colors, too. I propose that Skull Slicer is wearing a completely drained Golden Mask of Skull Spiders, which turned silver upon being sucked dry. That would explain why the Mask was not with LoSS, and why the mask in the set doesn't have legs like a Skull Spider should. We saw how quickly The Toa's masks were affected, so it's not too ridiculous to think that the GMoSS was drained in the time that he had been wearing it, which may have been anywhere from a few hours to a few days.

Thoughts? Theories? Thistles?

• Upvote 6

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Hmm, never thought of it being "THE" Skull Spider mask, although I suppose it makes more sense than it being some random spider.

Sure, you can use the mask to control the hordes, but what happens if you wear it? Was exposure to the hive mind too much for Slicer? Is that why he's insane?

I was thinking it might have worked in reverse. Since he was draining the energy out of it, it could be that he was using it to suck tiny bits of the life-force from every spider on Okoto, reviving him, but also filling his head with their thoughts, leading to his insanity.

• Upvote 5

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

That's a pretty good theory, and one that could solve a few mysteries quite easily. I have no questions regarding it or complaints about it, but I do think that the part of it regarding Skull Slicer's sanity is a little dark for a LEGO story, though I know that we've gotten plenty of dark story material within LEGO themes before, those being mostly in the previous generation of Bionicle. I guess with that said, it's not too far-fetched when you take what's happened before into consideration. Hopefully the origin of Skull Slicer's mask is answered in the next novel.

My theory (based on yours): It could be that his mask is the original Spider Mask, allowing him to control nearby skull spiders. Someone liked that idea and so made the golden skull spider mask, which was based on the original except it gave the wearer the ability to control every one of the species. Like, there was an original one and someone (possibly Makuta or Ekimu) made an OP (over-powered) one.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Someone liked that idea and so made the golden skull spider mask, which was based on the original except it gave the wearer the ability to control every one of the species. Like, there was an original one and someone (possibly Makuta or Ekimu) made an OP (over-powered) one.

What's the betting that this is the reason that no-one likes Makuta('s masks)?

• Upvote 3

My personal headcanon was that it WAS just a regular Skull Spider, but after decades or centuries of wearing it, the Skull Spider's mind supplanted Skull Slicer's own and the mask itself became vestigial (with even its legs atrophying away). It may not necessarily be what actually happened, but between mind control and the apparent ability to revive the dead, Skull Spiders are well-suited to all sorts of other body horror interpretations.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

My personal headcanon was that it WAS just a regular Skull Spider, but after decades or centuries of wearing it, the Skull Spider's mind supplanted Skull Slicer's own and the mask itself became vestigial (with even its legs atrophying away). 

Except the story seems to portray these guys as just waking from the dead very recently in the story.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I'll be the one to point out that the pedestal held the Mask of Creation before Kulta took it, not the Golden Mask of Skull Spiders. We are shown this in the animations. (Which opens up other questions on what the mask was doing there, but that is for another thread.)

The other issue I have is that the animations contradict the S@H description on whether the hook blades are fused to Slicer's hands or not, suggesting that the entire S@H description may be unreliable. It may just be a "play scenario" and be entirely non-canon, including the bit where it suggests his mask resurrected him. (We know he is Kulta's lieutenant, so not a mindless slave of LoSS etc.)

All we know for sure about Slicer is that he was once an arena champion. His mask is described as an intricately carved skull mask in the book, rather than the corpse of a dead spider. My assumption would be that his mask has not changed since those arena days, and was intricately carved to show his status. The carving was in a Skull Spider design because he has the same number of arms as the Spiders have legs. ;)

• Upvote 1
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

I'll be the one to point out that the pedestal held the Mask of Creation before Kulta took it, not the Golden Mask of Skull Spiders. We are shown this in the animations. (Which opens up other questions on what the mask was doing there, but that is for another thread.)

Um... We know the MoC was on a pedestal, but the animations never said it was that one. The tone of that scene suggested it was something more ominous than the MoC, which opens up a great possibility for the GMoSS. 

His mask is described as an intricately carved skull mask in the book, rather than the corpse of a dead spider. 

And if Ekimu/Makuta made the GMoSS, then it definitely would have been "intricately carved," given their skills.

Edited by T1Shadow: The Artisan
  • Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Um... We know the MoC was on a pedestal, but the animations never said it was that one. The tone of that scene suggested it was something more ominous than the MoC, which opens up a great possibility for the GMoSS. 

The spires up above and behind Kulta in the shot where he takes the MoC are clearly from the bridge to the ancient city. 

The spires up above and behind Kulta in the shot where he takes the MoC are clearly from the bridge to the ancient city. 

Right, because cultural architecture is ALWAYS limited to one specific location. Got a real reason, like an official text description, rather than just guessing from one shot from a specific angle?

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Right, because cultural architecture is ALWAYS limited to one specific location. Got a real reason, like an official text description, rather than just guessing from one shot from a specific angle?

Well that was uncalled for. At this point there's absolutely zero reason to assume these landmarks are anything but the same location until proven otherwise, especially in Gen 2 where they're trying to make things easier to understand. I doubt they'd establish iconic visual elements like the spires on that bridge and then go ahead to use the same shape when framing a different location entirely. That's incredibly misleading to the audience; something they're probably trying to avoid. I think you're forgetting that we're ALL just guessing here. I don't need your sarcasm or sass, man. I certainly don't need you jumping down my throat after a single harmless comment.

Pedistal_zpsnp2a8y76.png

And before you decide to point out that the etchings on the pedestal are slightly different, they could very well be explained by artistic license. In this shot the artists might have simply decided to add more detail on a whim. I'm just saying, it's likely that you're looking too far into things when in this case they're probably more simple than you think.

Edited by IXRollOutIX
  • Upvote 1

At this point there's absolutely zero reason to assume these landmarks are anything but the same location until proven otherwise, especially in Gen 2 where they're trying to make things easier to understand. I doubt they'd establish iconic visual elements like the spires on that bridge and then go ahead to use the same shape when framing a different location entirely. 

I did some research while waiting for your post, and found the exact same style of spires in another episode: The Arena. There are spires just like those on the bridge decorating the entrance to the arena, so it's not impossible for the MoC to have been somewhere else. In some shots of the city from the air, more of the spires can be glimpsed on another building in the center of the city.

Therefore, I'm still not convinced, partly because that doesn't answer the question of "Where is the Skull Spider Mask?"

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

At this point there's absolutely zero reason to assume these landmarks are anything but the same location until proven otherwise, especially in Gen 2 where they're trying to make things easier to understand. I doubt they'd establish iconic visual elements like the spires on that bridge and then go ahead to use the same shape when framing a different location entirely. 

I did some research while waiting for your post, and found the exact same style of spires in another episode: The Arena. There are spires just like those on the bridge decorating the entrance to the arena, so it's not impossible for the MoC to have been somewhere else. In some shots of the city from the air, more of the spires can be glimpsed on another building in the center of the city.

Therefore, I'm still not convinced, partly because that doesn't answer the question of "Where is the Skull Spider Mask?"

I think IX had a point earlier, by the way. We should all cool it and please not use antagonistic language if we don't have to. :^)

In any case, I see no reason for us to assume that the pedestals in IXRollout's screenshots aren't the same location - Occam's razor. They look pretty similar, excusing the whole "cultural architecture" thing. But we're all guessing here, so...

As for the question, I'm a little confused. When did the question "Where is the Skull Spider Mask" pop up in this thread? I've reread this three times and can't seem to find it mentioned anywhere. .___.

wake_up_sheeple.png

As for the question, I'm a little confused. When did the question "Where is the Skull Spider Mask" pop up in this thread? I've reread this three times and can't seem to find it mentioned anywhere. .___.

It's in the first post. :) My entire theory was based around the fact that we don't know the location of the Mask, and Slicer is wearing some nameless item, and the Lord of Skull Spiders was guarding an empty pedestal while the GMoSS was nowhere to be found.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

It's in the first post. :) My entire theory was based around the fact that we don't know the location of the Mask, and Slicer is wearing some nameless item, and the Lord of Skull Spiders was guarding an empty pedestal while the GMoSS was nowhere to be found.

Goshdarnit this is why I need to stop commenting on threads when it's almost midnight.

wake_up_sheeple.png

If you're going to argue that the pedestal didn't hold the Mask of Creation (contrary to what the animators were clearly trying to show), then you still have to explain why the Golden Mask of Skull Spiders is any more likely to go there than the Drained Mask of Ice, or the Trans-Blue Mask of Water, or Ekimu's shield etc.

If you're going to argue that the pedestal didn't hold the Mask of Creation (contrary to what the animators were clearly trying to show), then you still have to explain why the Golden Mask of Skull Spiders is any more likely to go there than the Drained Mask of Ice, or the Trans-Blue Mask of Water, or Ekimu's shield etc.

Which mask is LoSS more likely to be guarding? His prized possession which lets him control all of his underlings? Or some relic belonging to a dead guy?

As for those other items, The MoW is a promotional item that doesn't exist in-story, Kopaka never had his mask stolen, and I don't believe Ekimu actually used the shield. 

Either way, we're both making assumptions. You're assuming from one shot that it was a specific location. I'm assuming from everything else that the MoC was in a different location. 

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Wait, I just remembered that there are books out there for G2 - does anyone have them, and do they shed light on this?

I looked in Island of the Lost Masks: Pohatu just looks at the podium and says "I wonder what used to be here." 

It could be that it's not even a mask podium at all, although it certainly appears that way. 

It's fair enough that the book doesn't resolve the question of what mask went on the pedestal, seeing as Ryder was presumably working from mostly verbal scripts of the animations when he wrote the second half of the book, and the reveal that the Mask of Creation had been on the pedestal was purely visual. Even if it was included, he may not have realised the significance.

@T1S That "control his underlings" stuff is no more canon than Skull Warrior's product description describing how it drains Kopaka's mask. Until it appears in a book or animation (or other story source), it's just a suggested play scenario used to sell the set.

If anything, the mask's supposed powers are less canon because we have a bio for LoSS from Club Magazine that states that the Skull Spiders are controlled by LoSS's own telepathy. (And other arguments such as, where was the mask if LoSS was currently using it etc.)