BIONICLE: Journey to Netflix

-Windrider-

General Art Contest #22: Journey to Netflix

I read the news today (or about a week ago), oh boy. And you, you did read the news, didn't you? In case you haven't, BIONICLE: The Journey to One is coming to Netflix, and we want to celebrate in our usual fashion, namely by holding a contest.

You, the artist are tasked with designing a movie poster (see here for an example) advertising the new BIONICLE series. The goal is to sum up what BIONICLE is about (plot, characters, etc.) in a single image. Since the series is set for a 2016 release, and since we haven't seen (ostensibly, shhhhh) any info about next year's storyline or characters, it'll be up to you to imagine what BIONICLE will be looking like early next year.

• Yes, I know there are leaks. The Leaked Content Policy is in effect.
  • You can imagine new characters or enemies, but let's say to include existing ones as well.
  • The title of the series should be included in the image. Casting info isn't required, but you can make some up.

For this contest, since you're designing a movie poster, please limit yourself to static images - no animated GIFs, Flash, etc.

You have from Friday, October 9th at 12:00 AM until Monday, October 26th at 11:59 PM (Eastern) to enter. It's a bit of an odd schedule, but it will give everyone three weekends to work with. School is in session (believe me, I'm feeling it too) and we'd like this to be stress-free!

You should keep in mind the following guidelines:

1. Again, no animated images, please.
2. Any medium is fine. If you want to photograph some clay models and make a movie poster, go for it!
3. One entry per member, please.
4. No file size limit - though please be considerate, and please don't embed images over 750 kB on BZPower.
5. We won't regulate the image dimensions, but again, please be considerate.
6. Posters can incorporate imagined 2016 elements, but should include recognizable 2015 ones - i.e., keep it BIONICLE!

7. Posters should include the series' title - (The) Journey to One.
8. No flaming or cheating. Play fair and play well. I don't expect this to be a problem, but please do take note.
9. When entering, use the following form:

Member name:
Entry image (linked or embedded):
Entry topic (if applicable):

9. Finally, all BZPower Rules and Guidelines should be followed.

You should note the following new elements of the contest:

1. Entries submitted before October 20th may be used in a video promoting the contest.
2. Please note that poll and voting data may be used by the staff for the purposes of improving future contests, and to better provide incentives for participation in contest voting. Members who cast a vote in this contest's polls will be entered into a private raffle for free LEGO.

You will head to the polls during these intervals:

Semifinals: Tuesday, October 27th - Wednesday, October 28th at 11:59 PM (Eastern)

Finals: Thursday, October 29th - Saturday, October 31st at 11:59 PM (also Eastern)

You may win (!) the following nifty prizes:

1st place will get a signed Gali concept art poster, a trans-clear Mask of Fire, and a 2001 Kanohi.

2nd place will get a poster too, along with a 2001 Kanohi.

3rd place will get their own poster as well.

--

Questions asked, answers given

1. Are imagined 2016 characters/forms required? Can we stick to the 2015 basics?

A: You can stick to the existing 2015 characters and designs if you'd like!

2. Are we allowed to represent 2016 elements, even if it's in drawing?

A: Since the leak policy covers information gained, you'll have to stick to your own designs, unless we get official images before the entry period is up.

3. Would we have to mimic the 2015 animation style?

A: Nope!

4. Is that somewhat small and blurry 2016 poster from the Mask of Creation video fair game?

A: Certainly.

--

We hope you enjoy this contest. Please let any one of us listed below know if you have questions or the like, or just post here. All right, now, get to work!

Sincerely,
-Windrider-
Sumiki
Zatth

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 13

BRB, going to make an Imgur account. (I actually am going to try and enter this, even if I don't win.) Good luck to everyone competing!

Edited by Arnold Schwarzenegger

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

interesting.... its been many years since ive entered a BZP art contest, I might actually make something for this :P

Good luck to everyone participating! :D

--Akaku: Master of Flight

"I've brushed with death so often I should start giving him high-fives while I pass."

Recent Work: Return to Forum (2024)
Friend's works: Terrible Comics (2016) | The Guardians of Gevra Nui (2017) | Reborn (2016)
Older Work: The Legends of Taladi Nui (2017)

I wanna enter.

Question: Has anyone managed to successfully draw a front view of Lewa or Gali's mask in the 2015 animations style?  

T1S has.

I'm looking for a front view of the Jungle Mask in particular. 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I'm a pretty good artist when i put the time and effort into make something grand.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I'll ask for anyone considering this route given our timeframe though I might consider doing this as well: Are photo manipulations allowed for this contest?

That should be fine. Any kind of approach will work, as long as it's strictly visual and not animated.

Question - do we have to imagine new characters/designs, or can I just stick with the existing ones?

You don't have to! It would be fine to use only existing ones.

I'll try to give it a shot. I don't draw nearly enough Bionicle art.

i wonder if this means art art, or BOKLE: a JURN to the WON (netfilx that is...)

also, interesting concept, i am a horrible mess at scene pics and an even worse one at group scene pics and even worse at poster-style-group-scene pics...

i'm gonna do it, i'm gonna do the thing anyway.

• Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Ooh, probably a silly question, but I figured its worth asking anyway: Can artists draw the G2 characters in there preferred/whatever style, or do we have to make it look similar to how the short 2015 animated episodes were done? :P

"I've brushed with death so often I should start giving him high-fives while I pass."

Friend's works: Terrible Comics (2016) | The Guardians of Gevra Nui (2017) | Reborn (2016)

So no use of the 2016 Toa? Even if it is only drawing?

Unless we get official info/images, you'll have to try to forget the leaks for this contest.

i wonder if this means art art, or BOKLE: a JURN to the WON (netfilx that is...)

i'm gonna do it, i'm gonna do the thing anyway.

Oh my :0

Ooh, probably a silly question, but I figured its worth asking anyway: Can artists draw the G2 characters in there preferred/whatever style, or do we have to make it look similar to how the short 2015 animated episodes were done? :P

Any style is fine! Add your own flair!

You know what, I haven't done anything like this in awhile, I'll give it a shot.

TAK

Excellent.

• Upvote 1

Enforcement of the no-incorporating leaks policy is kind of inherently hypocritical because it necessitates a degree of familiarity and acknowledgement of the leaks by the mods, to an extent that regular members probably wouldn't be allowed to acknowledge. Not to mention there's potential for a lot of gray area ie original stuff with "aspects" of 2016 parts but not identical to the parts themselves, potential for innocent coincidence, etc. I guess I see why you want to do and it probably won't be an issue, though.

Great contest idea, can't wait to see people's entries.

Edited by Toa Zaz

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

I'll ask for anyone considering this route given our timeframe though I might consider doing this as well: Are photo manipulations allowed for this contest?

That should be fine. Any kind of approach will work, as long as it's strictly visual and not animated.

This gives me an Idea...

The announcement for the MaskMaker Contest teased the 2016 sets, so yeah, I guess we can technically use them for this contest now, but only what we can infer from that one image :D

Edited by Crunchyn

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

Can I draw stuff based on the official animations like this?

(I haven't even looked at the leaks, so yarr.)

Certainly.

And Crunchyn, yeah, it seems we have something now! Toa Zaz, I think I understand what you're saying about acknowledgement of leaks. That is, information gained from them plays a role in contest judging by the staff. We were working on rewording the leak policy to combat any ambiguity and other things like this - progress has kinda stalled, but hopefully we can come up with something soon. I recognize that it's frustrating for many people, so please let me know if you have advice or suggestions on how to treat things more fairly for this contest.

Even though I haven't read the stuff about the new series, don't own a single 2015 set, haven't watched the shorts and have absolutely no idea what's going on, I think I might give this a shot.  Sweet.

Good luck everyone!

EDIT: Just wondering, is humanization and similar obnoxious behaviours fair game?

Edited by evil_jaga_genius

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

I take it the poster from the Mask of Creation video is fair game too. :shrugs:

It is indeed fair game.

EDIT: Just wondering, is humanization and similar obnoxious behaviours fair game?

I think that as long as it's recognizably Bionicle, taking such liberties would be fair game as well. That is to say - you wouldn't be disqualified, but do keep in mind this is supposed to be a poster advertising a series that will not, as far as we know, feature humanized figures.

--

Even though I haven't read the stuff about the new series, don't own a single 2015 set, haven't watched the shorts and have absolutely no idea what's going on, I think I might give this a shot.  Sweet.

I'm glad that you've encouraged yourself to enter despite these odds. : P

Dang, so many BZP vets coming back for this, this is gonna be a big contest :P

...Starting to feel I probably don't stand all that much of chance for this XD

Member: ToaOmega139

Here is my Entry for the Journey to Netflix Contest, I drew it by hand. My Version of the Bionicle Logo is based on the fact that the Ancient City is in the Region of Water and is overgrown with vegetation. It also shows the Staircase to the Temple of Creation with Skull Basher, the Region of Ice with Kopaka, Kulta the Skull Grinder in the shadows, inspired by the 2015 Image, where his mask is in the upper right hand corner. On the right, there is Makuta's Mask of Control in a Pederstal with a cardving based on the 2016 poster seen in the Mask Maker Challenge video. The major inspiration is: "United the elements hold the power to defeat evil. United, but not one."

Link: www.flickr.com/photos/128164355@N02/21574044594

• Upvote 3