Painting Kanohi?

IcarusBen

So, does anyone know how to paint masks? I was thinking of trying my hand at doing it commercially, but I have no clue as to how I'll do it. I'm not striving for accuracy to LEGO colors, but rather I want to paint them in copper, silver and gold, as well as colors that LEGO didn't even try with, like metallic green.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

This is the steps I use.

Use 300+ sandpaper to sand down the mask front and inside if you want.

You can apply a spray on primer if you want, to me primer is a must . Let it dry for an 1 hour.

If you going to paint the mask by hand use acrylic based paint.

Also you need to make something to hold your mask if you are going to spray paint it , my advice in doing this is that you need an area that you can spray 360 around the mask and some , you never spray at the mask it self what you want to do if to get far back as you can spray above it so that the mask is in cased in a mist of spray spray paint I like to walk around the piece doing this. 

Edited by tourmalinex
  • Upvote 1

Tourmalinex outlined pretty much all the basic steps, I would suggest looking up some tutorials for painting miniatures, they have pretty much the same process as painting kanohi. If you're looking for a solid color any spray paint should do fine, but if you want designs/detailing you'll have to use acrylics like Tourmalinex said, some good brands are citadel and vallejo, which you can find in most hobby shops.

Problem is that the standard mask colors are hard to find. I'm having issues finding ones that look exactly like the mask colors. I was think of using uncommon colors, like pink and copper.

No sonny, I mean buy the standard color masks so you're not painting a rare gold one, or even any color that isn't the one that came with the set. They're all valuable besides the regular colors. Paint 'em whatever the karz color you want.

Ah. Okie-dokie. Have any recommendations for what masks are the easiest to paint?

I'm pretty sure 2001 kanohi are the easiest to paint due to their smooth surface and don't chip or damage easily, unlike 2004 kanohi. As for 2006 kanohi, the rubbery plastic makes the paint unable to stick on. 

Edited by Arnold Schwarzenegger

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Ah. Okie-dokie. Have any recommendations for what masks are the easiest to paint?

I'm pretty sure 2001 kanohi are the easiest to paint due to their smooth surface and don't chip or damage easily, unlike 2004 kanohi or 2006 kanohi, where the rubbery plastic makes the paint unable to stick on. 

I thought only 2005 and 2006 used rubber, not 2004.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png