Mutant Rahi Remain Rampant in Metru Rubble?

Excuse my poorly alliterative title. :^P Anyway, here's the question - I don't recall reading anything anywhere about the rahaga and Keetongu doing anything about the mutant Rahi that would've remained after the Visorak occupation of Metru Nui - and that is a problem. It means that:

1. Mutant Rahi should've appeared on Mata Nui. A few would've moved out of Metru Nui, which probably ran out of resources to sustain them after the Visorak and Toa Hordika (but mostly the Visorak) trashed the place, to the more fertile and resource-rich Mata Nui for snacks.

2. The increased power levels and aggression of the mutated Rahi would've made them akin to invasive species in real world ecosystems - they'd wipe out the normal, unmutated Rahi that escaped the Visorak by getting onto Mata Nui, causing the whole Rahi population of Mata Nui to be devoid of non-mutants.

3. Mutant Rahi would've been a threat when the Matoran returned to Metru Nui post-Mask-of-Light.

So, yeah. I'd appreciate input on this.

wake_up_sheeple.png

1) See Spi's post.

2) As for how they got 'sequestered' on Kumu in light of your point here I'm not sure, but keep in mind the Rahi that were already most common probably were so because they had a good balance of traits that made them adaptable and dependably surviving dangers. They were no pushovers, in other words. And the Visorak's main purpose in mutating seems to be more to subdue than to just change any old way, so making their victims even more dangerous in general seems unlikely -- perhaps more immediately dangerous if you happen to get into a fight with one but less talented at general survival in competition with the "stable" kinds?

That would explain their fleeing the main island for Kumu. Or maybe the Turaga somehow made that happen, but that seems unlikely. Anyways, if their minds were messed up like the Hordika's were (well... in a different way, though, because the Hordika mainly became animalistic and these are already animals :shrugs:), they might not be the cleverest creatures in the world anymore, yanno? Many might not have fled through the tunnels because they just weren't smart enough anymore. Kind of "dumb brutes".

3) The Rahaga had a thousand years to clear them out at that point, so not really.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

1) See Spi's post.

2) As for how they got 'sequestered' on Kumu in light of your point here I'm not sure, but keep in mind the Rahi that were already most common probably were so because they had a good balance of traits that made them adaptable and dependably surviving dangers. They were no pushovers, in other words. And the Visorak's main purpose in mutating seems to be more to subdue than to just change any old way, so making their victims even more dangerous in general seems unlikely -- perhaps more immediately dangerous if you happen to get into a fight with one but less talented at general survival in competition with the "stable" kinds?

That would explain their fleeing the main island for Kumu. Or maybe the Turaga somehow made that happen, but that seems unlikely. Anyways, if their minds were messed up like the Hordika's were (well... in a different way, though, because the Hordika mainly became animalistic and these are already animals :shrugs:), they might not be the cleverest creatures in the world anymore, yanno? Many might not have fled through the tunnels because they just weren't smart enough anymore. Kind of "dumb brutes".

3) The Rahaga had a thousand years to clear them out at that point, so not really.

... This is honestly the first time I've heard the words "kumu islets". Also, on point three, I did forget about the time spans involved between the migrations - so, whoop.

And yeah, the point about dumbing the Rahi down does make sense. But the survival thing doesn't to me.

General survival means not getting killed by other Rahi and claiming enough food to sustain yourself. Being more vicious and powerful certainly would give you an advantage in claiming more territory for itself - for instance, a more ferocious predator can claim larger hunting grounds than a more docile one, and thus have more prey to feed on. And the Visorak mutations shown in the story seem to be more powerful and aggressive than they originally were. I mean, if you look at the mutant Lohrak in the book "Web of the Visorak", it can fire sonic blasts that punch through solid stone and (somehow) create an entity of sonic energy to mess with other people - additionally, it has a larger wingspan than ordinary Lohrak. I'm pretty sure this gives it a definite advantage over any other Rahi in its immediate environment with regards to constant survival. Even if we ignore that, there's also the mutant Kikanalo seen in the comic dealing with the Visorak storyline - it has fangs. And is ferocious. If we look at these two examples (literally the only two shown if my memory serves me well) I'm pretty sure most of the Rahi were mutated into more vicious forms.

wake_up_sheeple.png

But the survival thing doesn't to me.

It's pretty simple -- smarter Rahi will find food better, and outsmart the dumb brute types that try to eat them more often (and possibly even outfight them if they fight more strategically).

Keep in mind many of the Rahi that were common on Mata Nui were pretty monstrous on their own, to the point that Makuta used them as his "army" for a thousand years there -- and the Makuta in general designed those Rahi, so it makes sense he would be using the ones that were designed very well, and ended up out-competing various other Rahi they had also designed, many of which were probably already very vicious anyways (especially anything made by Mutran, heh).

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Kumu Islets: 

4.) I remembered when a member asked you some question about the Kumu Islets, your answer was vague and mysterious. Can you tell me why? If not, I recall you saying the Toa were leaving Mata-Nui forever. Will this mysterious info be released in the encyclopedia, then?

4) I don't recall the answer you refer to, but I am not really aware of "mysterious info" regarding Kumu, and there isn't any in the Encyclopedia.

I'm terribly sorry for the repetetive PMs, but I had asked you a question about what was important about the Kumu Islets, and you said there was nothing significant about them, but I was asking because of this-which I found in the OGD.

1. Do the matoran use the Kuma Islets? What for?

ANSWER: Can't answer it.

Could you help me sort it out? 

1) It's possible that at the time that question was asked, we had some storyline plans for them, which is why I couldn't answer it. At this point, we do not to my knowledge, so there is really nothing to add. This is the Encylopedia entry on them:

KUMU ISLETS (KOO-moo): A group of small islands at the southern tip of MATA NUI (2). Efforts to colonize them met with failure owing to the large number of extremely dangerous RAHI who made their home there. 

------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan 1 2006, 01:29 PM

12. Will the Kumu Islets be important in the future?

12) No plans at the moment

2. Were the Kumu islets just south of Mata Nui cleared by the Bohrok?

2) Most likely

Apr 27 2008, 09:11 PM

1. I recall that there were a number of Rahi Hordika migrating to Mata Nui along with standard Rahi back towards the beginning of 2005. Many died of their mutations, but many of them must have made their way there. The Kumu Islets were always said to be filled with particularly vicious Rahi which foiled attempts at colonization there, so I was thinking: Could that have been where they migrated to? We never actually saw any mutated Rahi in 2001, and they must have been somewhere... 

1) Makes sense

1. Just for the sake of the wiki, could you give me a full-on yes or no answer? (If I use "makes sense" as my reference they'll revert my edits.)

1) Yes