NASA and the Solis Magna System Petition

MrSciFiGuy

Hey everyone, I saw that there was that awesome news on the homepage about the NASA nebula, and I went "Hey, fans do all sorts of crazy things nowadays so why not shoot for the stars? Literally."

And that's where we are. The goal of naming a nebula/formation that is PK 329-02.2, or another one like it. 

Give your support and share this petition around!

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 13

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Ugh... to be honest, this kind of thing is one of the things I dislike about this fandom.

I mean, when we first saw the pics of that nebula, it was exciting! The resemblance was uncanny! It was pretty neat, all things considered.

But like so many other things, the fans seem determined to take it too far. We need to actually change the name of the nebula! After all, doesn't Bionicle deserve it? Screw ordinary celestial naming conventions—surely this nebula needs a faux-Latin, non-descriptive name from one of the weaker chapters of a merchandise-driven kids story.

I loved Bionicle! But I'm under no illusion that it's nearly relevant enough to merit this sort of thing.

• Upvote 13

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Ugh... to be honest, this kind of thing is one of the things I dislike about this fandom.

I mean, when we first saw the pics of that nebula, it was exciting! The resemblance was uncanny! It was pretty neat, all things considered.

But like so many other things, the fans seem determined to take it too far. We need to actually change the name of the nebula! After all, doesn't Bionicle deserve it? Screw ordinary celestial naming conventions—surely this nebula needs a faux-Latin, non-descriptive name from one of the weaker chapters of a merchandise-driven kids story.

I loved Bionicle! But I'm under no illusion that it's nearly relevant enough to merit this sort of thing.

Honestly, I doubt it will even happen.

bBhcfWO.png

If they can name a fungus after SpongeBob SquarePants or a protein after Sonic the Hedgehog, I don't see how this is taking it too far.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 11

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

I do somewhat agree with Lyichir, but, honestly, there isn't really any reason why they couldn't name it that (besides the fact that there's only a small number of people who would actually get it). In addition to the links in the post above this, there are also galaxies and elements named after people. Yes, they're usually people that played a direct role in the discovery of the galaxy or element, but if we're talking about throwing conventional naming methods out the window, I think that shows that we've already done that plenty.

So I signed. I have major doubts that this will actually do anything, but hey, why not.

Edited by Kopekemaster
  • Upvote 2
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I definitely signed. I also agree with Kopekemaster that not a lot of people will get it... but all the people who are going to actively seek this out are nerds. NASA named part of one of Pluto's moons "Mordor", for Mata Nui's sake! :P

• Upvote 3

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

Signed! I really hope this goes through. As was said before, scientific discoveries have been named ridiculous things before, and besides, PK 329-02.2 will always be its scientific name. And who wouldn't want a star system named after one from their favourite franchise?

-L- to the -K-

Sometimes, I look at my desk, and think, "What am I doing with my life?"

Then, I go back to my videogames.

I used to be known as 'Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!', before I realised what a silly name it was.

Other previous names include Lihkan435 and Chip Biscuit.

I get it that people doubt it will happen or saying its a longshot, but we don't get to make things happen by waiting and wishing. If we have a shot at this I'm gonna take it because you never know how far people can make this go. 

Like I said, we're literally shooting for the stars. Why not try to make this happen? 

• Upvote 2

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Well, by this point, Menzel 2 has probably already changed significantly considering it's sheer distance and it's immediately irrelevant and delayed photograph, so we might as well snag it.

And plus, I believe that every fandom deserves their own slice of the infinitely expansive Universe.

Edited by Professor Turnip
  • Upvote 4

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

S to the I to the G to the N to the E to the D.

Who cares about scientific naming conventions? Let's have some fun!

Anyone outside of the Bionicle fandom will probably instantly forget about Menzel 2, so let's give it a reputation.

• Upvote 2

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

Can someone put this info on the LEGO Bionicle Facebook page?

It was. MrSciFiGuy posted it there and on the BZP FB page before putting it on here. 

Hey the more people who post it on the Lego Bionicle Facebook page the better. Get's their eyes on it. So post away!

• Upvote 1

We're just asking for a nebula that has enough resemblance that it makes sense, we're not asking for anything crazy like changing a country's name or flag, so calm down. A lot of objects in space have odd names anyways, and I'm pretty sure some have been named after fictional things. No one is taking anything too far. If someone sends a petition to get the U.S. government to construct a giant robot, then I'd be concerned...

• Upvote 6

If someone sends a petition to get the U.S. government to construct a giant robot, then I'd be concerned...

signed, signed, and double-signed. send it to Obama at once.

With the discovery of (the likelihood of) water on Mars, there's talk of colonization. What better way to perform recon than Mata Nui?

• Upvote 3

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

If someone sends a petition to get the U.S. government to construct a giant robot, then I'd be concerned...

Ekimu help us...

With the discovery of (the likelihood of) water on Mars, there's talk of colonization. What better way to perform recon than Mata Nui?

Umm...Iron Man? Can't cause planetwide destruction or an internal cataclysm if he crashes. Or Optimus Prime. 

I like the idea of naming it something Bionicle but

1. Only the shattered Spherus Magna looks like that. Not the whole Solis Magna system.

2. Solis Magna already means "Big Star" in (not very good) Latin and NASA has plenty of those.

A bionicle name would be great, but PK 329-02.2 is not a star, and the bionicle object it looks like is not a star. Better to name it Mata Nui or Takanuva or as Spirit suggested, the Bionicle Nebula would be perfect. Something that isn't already a misleading latin word.
Edited by Takhamavahu
  • Upvote 3

Can we talk about the name?  If we're going for iconicness, it would be better to call it the Bionicle Nebula.  I'd be surprised if more than a handful of people know what Solis Magna is, particularly given that it was a term coined as a fan suggestion after the series had ended.

I really agree with this, especially because Solis Magna is real-world Latin for 'great sun.' That's not going to remind anyone of Bionicle - it's more likely to confuse them.

• Upvote 3

00_gaeas_reaper.jpgjrfightmeditatesmaller.gif00_shadowboxer.jpg

If we're going for iconicness, it would be better to call it the Bionicle Nebula.

Ditto.

Quiz every Bionicle fan and only a very small amount would know what the Bionicle solar system is called.

Most would probably say "Spherus Magna" if they wanted to guess.

If this name-change were to truly happen, I'd want it to be called the Bionicle Nebula rather than a relatively obscure name that popped up near the end of the line's initial lifecycle.

• Upvote 3

Unity Duty Destiny Superhighway

Currently being built in New Jersey, last I checked.

I'm amazed how quickly this has taken off. Pretty awesome that it got on the front page, too.

Don't forget the Pohatu High-Speed Railway connecting Los Angeles to Seattle. 

Or the Olmak Trans-Continental Travel System. (Though I've heard in recent years that they've just been using it for transporting goods.)

• Upvote 2
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Unity Duty Destiny Superhighway

Currently being built in New Jersey, last I checked.

I'm amazed how quickly this has taken off. Pretty awesome that it got on the front page, too.

Don't forget the Pohatu High-Speed Railway connecting Los Angeles to Seattle. 

I Googled both of these - they don't exist. 

• Upvote 7