NASA and the Solis Magna System Petition

MrSciFiGuy

Can we talk about the name?  If we're going for iconicness, it would be better to call it the Bionicle Nebula.  I'd be surprised if more than a handful of people know what Solis Magna is, particularly given that it was a term coined as a fan suggestion after the series had ended.

This is an excellent point that I failed to think of earlier. A lot of old fans stopped paying a lot of attention to the franchise after the cancellation was announced, myself included. So even to a lot of hardcore fans the name "Solis Magna" holds little meaning. Still, it would be a good way to bring publicity once people learn where the name comes from.

We could give it a tecnical-sounding name, like "UDD-2001" that actually holds special meaning to fans. :shrugs:

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

IMO Bionicle Nebula sounds silly. What's next, the Unity Duty Destiny Superhighway?

Solis Magna sounds dignified and formal, more fitting for this sort of thing. I don't see why we have to rename it, but if we are going that way, Solis Magna sounds better. 

I think people are less concerned about it sounding dignified and more concerned with people knowing what it is.

It would be like naming something after Salacious Crumb.  Unless you avidly follow the Star Wars expanded universe, you're not going to know who that is.  Han Solo has a trilobite named after him because people know who Han Solo is.  Most people don't know who Salacious Crumb is and I guarantee that only a handful of people know what Solis Magna is.

If I could only name one thing after Bionicle (and let's face it, the chances of them finding another nebula that looks like the logo are slim to none), I'd want it to be something that everyone will recognize, not some obscure name that doesn't even apply to the current storyline.

Trust me on this.  My avatar is a constellation.

• Upvote 11

IMO Bionicle Nebula sounds silly. What's next, the Unity Duty Destiny Superhighway?

Solis Magna sounds dignified and formal, more fitting for this sort of thing. I don't see why we have to rename it, but if we are going that way, Solis Magna sounds better. 

Dignified? They're toys!

As awesome as Bionicle is, to try and make it seem like more than a juvenile interest is kind of silly.

There are zillions of billions of stars in the galaxy, and if there's going to be one that looks just like the UDD symbol I think it'd be more prudent to refer to it as the Bionicle Nebula. Or something along those lines.

I Googled both of these - they don't exist.

That's what they want you to think, you'll need to access the deep web to learn anything about them.  :fear:

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939
  • Upvote 1

I'm one who signed, but I'll agree that it's a bit weird and disrespectful to the person/s who discovered it to rename it so quickly. I do think that it should be renamed, casually. What I mean is that it could referred to by something Bionicle related, but still maintain the name it has now as its formal name.

Edited by Rooster Nui

Unity Duty Destiny Superhighway

Currently being built in New Jersey, last I checked.

I'm amazed how quickly this has taken off. Pretty awesome that it got on the front page, too.

Don't forget the Pohatu High-Speed Railway connecting Los Angeles to Seattle. 

I Googled both of these - they don't exist. 

That's what the government wants you to think. #IlluminatiConfirmed

I agree, "Bionicle Nebula" is definitely more iconic and recognizable. But perhaps one of the stars in this nebula could be named Solis Magna? That makes everyone happy! ...Right?

• Upvote 2

It would be like naming something after Salacious Crumb.  Unless you avidly follow the Star Wars expanded universe, you're not going to know who that is.  Han Solo has a trilobite named after him because people know who Han Solo is.  Most people don't know who Salacious Crumb is and I guarantee that only a handful of people know what Solis Magna is.

Isn't Salacious Crumb the weird monkey thing in Jabba the Hutt's palace?

• Upvote 2

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

I think Salacious Crumb is one of my favorite characters despite having a total screen time of only around 10 minutes. Just the name "Kowakian Monkey Lizard" is just fun to say.

Anyway, I kind of like the previously mentioned idea of naming a star Solis Magna but the rest of the nebula something more recognizable. Of course, then you could just name everything in the nebula something BIONICLE related, and that might get to be a bit much.

But name a planet Spherus Magna. Just knowing that there actually IS a planet somewhere out there called Spherus Magna would give me a warm fuzzy feeling in my heart from nostalgia.

• Upvote 4

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

While 'Bionicle Nebula' would appear to be more iconic to the Average Joe, I would prefer Solis Magna because it is part of the in-story canon. Most people don't know about Middle-Earth stuff besides some names, like Middle-Earth, Gandalf, Frodo and Ring, yet people have been naming the geographic areas of the moon Titan after areas of the ancient planet of Arda, like Plains of Rohan, for example. Who cares if people recognize it or not. Once they learn that Solis Magna is from Bionicle, it'll make for an interesting piece of trivia.

Isn't Salacious Crumb the weird monkey thing in Jabba the Hutt's palace?

Yes, that monkey lizard is Salacious Crumb. Also, have some trivia: its species name is the "Kowakian Monkey Lizard"

I knew both of these already. :D

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

While 'Bionicle Nebula' would appear to be more iconic to the Average Joe, I would prefer Solis Magna because it is part of the in-story canon. Most people don't know about Middle-Earth stuff besides some names, like Middle-Earth, Gandalf, Frodo and Ring, yet people have been naming the geographic areas of the moon Titan after areas of the ancient planet of Arda, like Plains of Rohan, for example. Who cares if people recognize it or not. Once they learn that Solis Magna is from Bionicle, it'll make for an interesting piece of trivia.

Geographic areas on a moon are one thing, but this is an entire nebula. However, I will concede that crazier things have gotten names in the past.

If we want to talk about canon, though, it would make more sense to call it The Shattering or Spherus Magna, since Solis Magna isn't actually part of that design.

Geographic areas on a moon are one thing, but this is an entire nebula. However, I will concede that crazier things have gotten names in the past.

If we want to talk about canon, though, it would make more sense to call it The Shattering or Spherus Magna, since Solis Magna isn't actually part of that design.

Calling it The Shattering just sounds stupid in my very own very brutally honest opinion. I agree with you on Spherus Magna, but this is a twin star system with a UDD nebula cloud surrounding it. We like to organize things by star systems so i think it would be better to go by Solis Magna.

I do like the idea that someone else had for it: UDD-2001

• Upvote 4

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light