Bionicle Among the Stars

We don't usually promote petitions here, but for this one I'll make an exception. It was recently shared that the Hubble Space Telescope captured a picture of a planetary nebula that bears a striking resemblance to the Solis Magna solar system. Now BZPower Member joev14 has started a petition to ask NASA to change the name to commemorate Bionicle for many years to come. I think this is an intriguing idea and would love to see it happen. So go sign and show your support!

View the full article

• Upvote 5

Signed it and put it on my Facebook. I don't give a dang about possible public scrutiny, this must be renamed!! :drool: :evilmad:

• Upvote 3

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Wow! I think Bionicle is recieving a lot of attention! Impressive! So, I signed and posted it in Facebook! Yay!:D Man, I am so happy that I am going to cry (crying in tears of happiness :) )! Hopefully, it will be renamed! If it did, I believe this would make Bionicle more famous!:D

• Upvote 2

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I signed it. Grant it I was on my mothers account, but still.  :glare:

Also, why do people not want to support this?  :confused: As a BIONICLE Fan this discovery is incredible! But, the very fact that people don't want to support this makes me look down upon them, SMH. Why? Because it's """""Sacrilegious?""""" No. That's just stupid.  :mad:  As someone who embraces science and loves space, in many way's I am offended that other fans wouldn't support this.

You could argue that "Oh, It would be unfair for just our Fandom to have something named after our obsession" But the fact of the matter is, if we get something named after the thing that brought us all together, why not other Fandoms? It would only be fair, if they got that privilege too. 

Edited by Toa Imrukii

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I, unfortunately, cannot sign this as the address I live at is not mine to give away.  Even if it were mine there is a distinct possibility I wouldn't do it.  That being said, I hope this gets support, I would love for this to happen.

Wyrd byð swyðost

I really need to be more active

Also, why do people not want to support this?  :confused: As a BIONICLE Fan this discovery is incredible! But, the very fact that people don't want to support this makes me look down upon them, SMH. Why? Because it's """""Sacrilegious?""""" No. That's just stupid.  :mad:  As someone who embraces science and loves space, in many way's I am offended that other fans wouldn't support this.

You could argue that "Oh, It would be unfair for just our Fandom to have something named after our obsession" But the fact of the matter is, if we get something named after the thing that brought us all together, why not other Fandoms? It would only be fair, if they got that privilege too. 

Now steady on there, pardner. I reckon you're gonna kick dust in a few faces with a rattlesnake like that in yer boot. If'n y'can hold yer horses and listen to the other cowpokes, I reckon this hostility'll simmer quicker'n a raindrop in a desert drought.

Now, seems t'me like what these fellers is sayin' is that this here nebula's already got a name, and has fer near 'pon a century now. Seems a bit rude t'just up and demand a new name based 'pon a small crowd's wishes. While I don't reckon I begrudge any one of ya for signin' this here petition, can't say I think much of it m'self.

• Upvote 5

Yeah... I just can't support renaming the nebula Solis Magna. I mean, it's a huge disrespect to the individual who discovered it to begin with, plus it'd be with a name barely anybody outside of our fandom would recognize as Bionicle.

If anything, I'm all in favor of either keeping what is there now, or naming it the Bionicle Nebula. Nobody could deny that name's origins.

• Upvote 1

bzpsig2015.png

I understand a lot of the wariness that people have about signing this petition: If a guy just discovered a nebula, you should put his name on it, right? Not correct, actually, for three reasons.

Firstly, astronomers traditionally don't want to name something they discovered after themselves (unlike quite a few fictional scientists [:P]). Think of it: Mars, Pluto, Andromeda. All of them are named after mythological creatures or beings.

Second: Pk-200 (numbers here) is a placeholder name, until it becomes "important" enough to merit a true one. Astronomers discover a plethora of planets, systems, and others every day. You think they have time to give a snazzy name to them all? More importantly, do you think they wouldn't want other people to do so in their place?

Thirdly, for anyone worried about offending the memory of Mr. Menzel: the nebula doesn't actually have his name on it anyway. If Pk-whatever is a placeholder name, Mz2 is a placeholder name for the placeholder name. It's already been assigned a "coordinate" name by Nasa, so officially calling it after an astoundingly similar fictional galaxy isn't actually that harsh.

I totally understand if anyone is still averse to this, but for those who have doubts, you can set your mind at rest [;)] After all, Menzel might have been a fan of biomechanical beings, for all we know... [:P]

• Upvote 3

cLT23Pz.png

Now steady on there, pardner. I reckon you're gonna kick dust in a few faces with a rattlesnake like that in yer boot. If'n y'can hold yer horses and listen to the other cowpokes, I reckon this hostility'll simmer quicker'n a raindrop in a desert drought.

Now, seems t'me like what these fellers is sayin' is that this here nebula's already got a name, and has fer near 'pon a century now. Seems a bit rude t'just up and demand a new name based 'pon a small crowd's wishes. While I don't reckon I begrudge any one of ya for signin' this here petition, can't say I think much of it m'self.

I applaud you for staying in character for that entire post!

I understand a lot of the wariness that people have about signing this petition: If a guy just discovered a nebula, you should put his name on it, right? Not correct, actually, for three reasons.

Firstly, astronomers traditionally don't want to name something they discovered after themselves (unlike quite a few fictional scientists [ :P]). Think of it: Mars, Pluto, Andromeda. All of them are named after mythological creatures or beings.

Second: Pk-200 (numbers here) is a placeholder name, until it becomes "important" enough to merit a true one. Astronomers discover a plethora of planets, systems, and others every day. You think they have time to give a snazzy name to them all? More importantly, do you think they wouldn't want other people to do so in their place?

Thirdly, for anyone worried about offending the memory of Mr. Menzel: the nebula doesn't actually have his name on it anyway. If Pk-whatever is a placeholder name, Mz2 is a placeholder name for the placeholder name. It's already been assigned a "coordinate" name by Nasa, so officially calling it after an astoundingly similar fictional galaxy isn't actually that harsh.

I totally understand if anyone is still averse to this, but for those who have doubts, you can set your mind at rest [;)] After all, Menzel might have been a fan of biomechanical beings, for all we know... [:P]

The Solis Magna system isn't a galaxy and doesn't even look like this. Bara Magna and its satellites do (well... did), but they were not a galaxy, a nebula, or even a star system. They were a planet, two moons, and an accretion disk. They were a small part of a larger star system that we never even got to see in its entirety (because, let's be honest, the rest of the star system never especially mattered).

Calling it the "Bionicle Nebula" or the "Three Virtues Nebula" or something like that might at least make a bit of sense. Giving a nebula the name of a fictional star system because it resembles the former state of one of the planets within that fictional star system is a bit of a stretch to say the least. There are much better ways to commemorate Bionicle G1 than that.

• Upvote 4

Hey guys and gals, creator of the petition here.

Yes technically the Nebula has a name, but if you read the petition in full I mention how we dont have to name THIS specific nebula, but get it on NASA's list for other potential candidates as well.

Thanks for the support!

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Calling it "The Three Virtues Nebula" would be accurate, but I dislike it, since there is a group that is named that.

So Naming it the "BIONICLE Nebula" is more accurate, since it is the Logo for BIONICLE.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Yes technically the Nebula has a name, but if you read the petition in full I mention how we dont have to name THIS specific nebula, but get it on NASA's list for other potential candidates as well.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of naming a thing after Bionicle because it actually resembles something from Bionicle?

~B~

• Upvote 2

You guys do know that 1000 supporter don't mean  :censored: to NASA, to get NASA to notice this, you have to get million on supporter and the last time I checked Bionicle isn't popular as what it use to be. This is basically like that kid who made that "Bring Nex and Stringer Back" Petition and needs 100 supporter.

Also Toa Imrukii, act like a sonic like fanboy much...

• Upvote 1

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

You guys do know that 1000 supporter don't mean :censored: to NASA, to get NASA to notice this, you have to get million on supporter and the last time I checked Bionicle isn't popular as what it use to be. This is basically like that kid who made that "Bring Nex and Stringer Back" Petition and needs 100 supporter.

Also Toa Imrukii, act like a sonic like fanboy much...

Yes, I'm sure we're all aware that 1000 votes is not enough: we're not n00bs like the "nex n strigner" guy you mentioned. Personally, I think the amount of votes this got in just a few days is quite impressive considering that "Bionicle isn't popular as what it use to be". Edited by bionicleFanatic

cLT23Pz.png

Last time I check it was only for 1000 sings, why is now up to 1500? 

Anyone knows why?

I assume the goal is increased when the previous goal is met. It was originally set to 100, then I think 500, and so on as the amount of signatures grew.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png