Ra'zac (BBC Contest #71)

"So too are the Ra'zac designed to prey upon humans.  They are the monsters in the dark, the dripping nightmares that haunt your race."

-Oromis, Eldest

Hooded And Cloaked

Blade Drawn

Front

Side

Other Side

Back

Sword

Scabbard

The Nightmare Revealed

I had too many ideas for this contest.  At first I thought I could do the normal Demon from Doom.  Then I wanted to do the Cacodemon.  Then I wanted to do the Pain Elemental (which, for those who don't know, is a suped-up Caco that spits out even more demons).  Somewhere around here I realized I needed to settle on something.  I had just started re-reading the Eragon series, and there I found my final villain.

If you haven't read Eragon or any of the books that follow it... well then, quit reading this post and go to the library.

ANYWAY.  This creature is known as a Ra'zac.  The Ra'zac travel as a pair, carrying out the Empire's bidding and leaving a trail of death and destruction wherever they go.  In return for their services, they live in the black mountain of Helgrind, where priests below offer them human sacrifices to eat.  While they cannot use magic, they have plenty other powers besides, along with their flasks of flesh-eating Seithr Oil.

Since there hasn't been any official illustration of the Ra'zac, I had to embellish.  I've always pictured them as a cross between a featherless bird, a vulture, and an insect, wrapped up in a humanoid form.  To avoid rousing the suspicions of their victims, they wrap themselves up in black cloaks, no matter the weather.  Again, I embellished: This one's cloak is cut away in places, presumably so it can fight easier.

Anyhow!  Hope you like it, leave a vote if you do!

-Jaga

• Upvote 2

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

I've seen the god-awful Eragon movie yet I still can't make this MOC out what it is supposed to be, nature as background for a mainly brown creation was a very poor choice there as well. I'd suggest a better taste in dragon movies/books and better background.

Edit: Please keep your feedback to the MOC itself.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 2

Uh yeah.  I freely admit the movie was absolutely horrible.  Trust me, the books are much better.

Anyhow, I will take into mind the suggestion about the background.

Question, would it be possible for me to re-take the pictures and still stay in the contest?

Ah, another reader of the Inheritance Cycle, I swear there's dozens of us, dozens! Personally, I always pictured the ra'zac similar to how you described them, just all black. Seeing another persons interpretation of them is cool, especially since the way you captured the ra'zac is so similar, yet different to how I imagined them. I have to say, I probably would've used a black cape, like the one Vezon came with instead of treads. Other than that, neat interpretation, and good luck in the contest.

Edited by Konahrik

bzpsig.jpg

Ah, another reader of the Inheritance Cycle, I swear there's dozens of us, dozens! Personally, I always pictured the ra'zac similar to how you described them, just all black. Seeing another persons interpretation of them is cool, especially since the way you captured the ra'zac is so similar, yet different to how I imagined them. I have to say, I probably would've used a black cape, like the one Vezon came with instead of treads. Other than that, neat interpretation, and good luck in the contest.

Thanks!  It's so weird when I make a reference like this and then it's like crickets chirping on the internet.  I WOULD probably have used a black cape, but the only one I have is grey.  I'm really glad with how the treads worked out, though.  I was wondering how I would make the cloak and then I just fell in love with how they looked.

• 1 month later...

Yeah the movie was terrible but the book series was excellent, one of the best I've ever read.

On to the MOC itself. It definitely doesn't click with how I pictured the Ra'zac. The cloak doesn't cover it up very well either. I kinda pictured them as all black and gray, though the body structure itself is pretty much how I pictured them, only with a different head. I guess there are limitations to what you could do with your pieces.

Edited by Axilus Prime

Pk57sNJ.jpg