Bionicle Movies Released in 3D

3D Bionicle Movies  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here is a hypothetical question that I thought of while posting in another topic. Would you want 3D versions of the Bionicle movies to be made? And if so, which ones?

Now, I know that Lego will probably never do this. And even if they did, I have no idea if they would make a profit from it. But I am asking what would YOU want, disregarding whether Lego will or won't do this in the future. Would YOU want 3D versions of these movies?

I, personally, don't like 3D. I feel that it causes the viewer to be distracted from the movie's story. So I wouldn't want 3D versions of them. But that is just me. I want to see what everyone else says on this question. So vote away!

• Upvote 2

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I don't really care, but I think a 3-D version of TLR would be hilarious. SO MANY SPINNING PINS! MY EYES!

I'd be surprised if it'd work at all, considering most of the backgrounds were mostly just flat images from the looks of it. I don't know if the previous films had them, but if they did it wasn't nearly as obvious.

• Upvote 1

3D is nothing more than an expensive gimmick. It's essentially a laughing stock at this point.

That's why movie ticket prices are going higher and higher... they're trying to match 2D and 3D ticket prices little by little to cover the costs.

3D is in theory a pretty good idea, but like so many things Hollywood felt compelled to cash in on it to the point of oversaturation. As usual, it's about the $$$ rather than the art or experimentation.

The one thing Fox did right with Fantastic Four (2015) was not giving it a 3D release.

In short, no. 3D would add nothing to the films.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939
  • Upvote 4

I wouldn't really want to see the original trilogy in 3D, mostly because I was disgusted by the exposed muscle tissue in the figures. Yuck! And it'd be even worse to see them coming at you off the screen, borderline terrifying in my opinion. 

But I dunno, TLR was pretty decent, it would be interesting to see what they could do with it in 3D. 

Edited by Irrie: The Loremaster

bZpOwEr

The only way this would work right is if they still had the assets and resources (IE 3D models) and completely reanimated them in a 3D process. Though, I guess they pulled it off with The Nightmare Before Christmas and other movies not originally produced in 3D, so I guess they could theoretically do the digital 3D process on the pre-existing footage.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

I don't really care about anything 3D, especially with movies that have already been released. I just think it wouldn't bring anything new to any of the Bionicle movies, so why rerelease it?

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

By the way, there are programs that can do this for you. Convert 2D to 3D.

Of course, the studios use more high-end programs and techniques, but if you had a burning curiosity of what it could hypothetically look like (and a pair of 3D glasses you steal from a theater), you could grab a free trial of some run-of-the-mill software and see what the result is.

Know what I want to see in a Bionicle film re-release (or rather, hear)? A better surround sound mix. The sound design was good, but the way things were spread across the channels...  :no:

I don't really care about anything 3D, especially with movies that have already been released. I just think it wouldn't bring anything new to any of the Bionicle movies, so why rerelease it?

But Kolhii games...in 3D!

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

Anyone who says 3D is a pointless, expensive gimmick doesn't fully understand the format. Granted, it's understandable many would see it as such, given that most studios just kinda half-a the execution of it in a movie. Not all movies have high-quality 3D because studios either don't care to put that much effort, or don't have the money, or both. Many people who say it doesn't add anything are either just complaining about the lack of pop-outs, or have too poor of depth perception to notice the added depth...or are watching a poor example of 3D, such as Insurgent, which is pretty much the most lackluster 3D I've ever seen. Anyone who finds it distracting from the story is distracted too easily. To the person who said Fox not releasing Fantastic Four in 3D was a good thing, I'm saying that it wasn't a good thing. I saw plenty of people say they decided not to see it when they heard the 3D release was cancelled. It would've fared better with 3D. When done right, 3D can add to a film. Coraline, Alice in Wonderland, Resident Evil Afterlife, Resident Evil Retribution, and Avatar are good examples of 3D done right.

I'd say yes, but mainly for Web of Shadows. It's the one I can see benefiting most from a well-done conversion. Granted, an HD remaster of all the movies is in order. A 3D release of any would guarantee an HD remaster, since that would be required prior to conversion. An updated sound mix would also be highly likely. If any of these films would be likely to get the 3D treatment, it's probably either Mask of Light or The Legend Reborn. Also, any new Bionicle film produced is likely to get the 3D treatment, especially given the success of the Lego Movie 3D...which I still haven't seen, sadly.

• Upvote 1

Anyone who finds it distracting from the story is distracted too easily.

I don't consider myself easily distracted... but I find popouts very distracting, and not what 3D should be used for.

If 3D is to be utilized, it should be used minimally but effectively to give a greater sense of visual depth to the film. Not for popouts.

I saw plenty of people say they decided not to see it when they heard the 3D release was cancelled.

Trust me, the lack of a 3D release is not the reason no one saw FF.

Granted, an HD remaster of all the movies is in order. A 3D release of any would guarantee an HD remaster, since that would be required prior to conversion. An updated sound mix would also be highly likely. If any of these films would be likely to get the 3D treatment, it's probably either Mask of Light or The Legend Reborn.

I wonder if LEGO - or Miramax - still has the original 3D animation files for the films, as well as the version of the program they are compatible with. They could just re-render, no remaster required. Easy!

There was one LoMN image BZPower received back in the day that seemed to have been taken straight from the editing room: an HD screencap.

But these were low-profile DTVs for a toyline. I have to wonder if the proper archival steps were taken for the trilogy, and if the final cut of the film is all that remains.

Would they even still have the audio stems?  :???:

Regarding the sound mix - interestingly enough, when the films were put up on Netflix, they were provided with a stereo mix only. No 5.1 surround. I doubt that really means anything, but it's possible Miramax isn't totally aware of the specs of the content they own.

And TLR already is in HD, it doesn't need a remaster of any sort. It just never hit Blu-ray. iTunes, Netflix, etc. have it in high definition. Looks pretty crisp.

Nope no 3d for me on these movie. But i'd gladly see a redone Tinseltown Toons style HD versions of the first trilogy, not a reboot but think of it as a upgrade but a few rules. 

• stay in the middle of between too much organic muscle and too much like moving bricks.
  • no unnecessary jokes likes like the ones they did with metus or random screaming like kiina.
  • make the movies make more sense with no continuity errors, such as in MoL when onua mentions that kopaka saved them from the cave in, make a animated scene of the rescue it happening.
  • no lame kohlii match to the death
  • release them as a collectors pack with all movies on fitted on a big blu-ray or 2 disc blu-ray set.
Edited by ---Kopaka Nuva---

qs3135.jpg

If it were to happen I'd say MOL should get the 3D treatment as the ending fight scene would be kinda cool to see in 3D. But at the end of the day I'd say no it's pointless. I mean the films were never made with 3D in mind and the chances of them appealing to a newer generation are pretty slim so I doubt lego would get much out of it. 

It's time to move on.

I'm not a fan of 3D at the best of times, even less so for animated films. It adds nothing of any real value to a film, and is often more distracting than anything else.

Clearly you haven't seen Resident Evil Afterlife, Avatar, Coraline, Resident Evil Retribution or Pacific Rim in 3D if you think 3D doesn't add any value. If you've seen Insurgent in 3D...well that I understand.

Anyone who finds it distracting from the story is distracted too easily.

I don't consider myself easily distracted... but I find popouts very distracting, and not what 3D should be used for.

If 3D is to be utilized, it should be used minimally but effectively to give a greater sense of visual depth to the film. Not for popouts.

I saw plenty of people say they decided not to see it when they heard the 3D release was cancelled.

Trust me, the lack of a 3D release is not the reason no one saw FF.

Granted, an HD remaster of all the movies is in order. A 3D release of any would guarantee an HD remaster, since that would be required prior to conversion. An updated sound mix would also be highly likely. If any of these films would be likely to get the 3D treatment, it's probably either Mask of Light or The Legend Reborn.

I wonder if LEGO - or Miramax - still has the original 3D animation files for the films, as well as the version of the program they are compatible with. They could just re-render, no remaster required. Easy!

There was one LoMN image BZPower received back in the day that seemed to have been taken straight from the editing room: an HD screencap.

But these were low-profile DTVs for a toyline. I have to wonder if the proper archival steps were taken for the trilogy, and if the final cut of the film is all that remains.

Would they even still have the audio stems?  :???:

Regarding the sound mix - interestingly enough, when the films were put up on Netflix, they were provided with a stereo mix only. No 5.1 surround. I doubt that really means anything, but it's possible Miramax isn't totally aware of the specs of the content they own.

And TLR already is in HD, it doesn't need a remaster of any sort. It just never hit Blu-ray. iTunes, Netflix, etc. have it in high definition. Looks pretty crisp.

Popouts are only obnoxious if they're overdone. I like a few popouts, as long as they're not too "in your face". I generally prefer depth as well. Oh yeah, lack of 3D wasn't THE reason people didn't see Fantastic Four, but it certainly made it worse. TLR could get a 4K remaster, but just a normal Blu-Ray is fine with me. The original trilogy with an HD remaster on Blu-Ray would be amazing as well. As for sound mix...well, sounds like they could use a new mix if there's no 5.1 available.

The Mask Of Light is my favorite in all the 4 Bionicle movies, not epic but still good. But in 3D, I just don't think it fits well.

I'd actually agree that Mask of Light isn't the best one for a 3D remaster. Web of Shadows or LoMN are the best candidates, IMO. Granted, I could see it working for TLR. 

If it were to happen I'd say MOL should get the 3D treatment as the ending fight scene would be kinda cool to see in 3D. But at the end of the day I'd say no it's pointless. I mean the films were never made with 3D in mind and the chances of them appealing to a newer generation are pretty slim so I doubt lego would get much out of it. 

So what if the films weren't made with 3D in mind? That didn't stop Titanic, Predator, Cars, and Jurassic Park from getting 3D remasters.

Edited by Mr. America

So what if the films weren't made with 3D in mind? That didn't stop Titanic, Predator, Cars, and Jurassic Park from getting 3D remasters.

Yeah. And they were all pointless.

It's time to move on.

Yeah. And they were all pointless.

Not really. Jurassic Park has a good 3D conversion. Plus its 3D release helped prove that there was plenty of demand for more films. Titanic 3D was for the 100th anniversary of the sinking. Cars 3D...well, back when Disney actually supported 3D, they just liked doing ultimate collectors' editions. Predator 3D is the only one I guess you could say was pointless. I find the 3D adds the most in Titanic and Jurassic Park, providing a great sense of depth, and helping show just how big the ship/dinosaurs are. A 3D conversion for LoMN or WoS would be used to show the size of Metru Nui or Keetongu or the ships used in The Great Rescue. If it's done right and adds depth, it's not pointless. If it's not done right, then it is pointless. Also, not being a fan of something does not make it pointless. I'm no fan of eBooks...does that mean they're pointless? No, it doesn't. 

Popouts are only obnoxious if they're overdone. I like a few popouts, as long as they're not too "in your face". I generally prefer depth as well. Oh yeah, lack of 3D wasn't THE reason people didn't see Fantastic Four, but it certainly made it worse. TLR could get a 4K remaster, but just a normal Blu-Ray is fine with me. The original trilogy with an HD remaster on Blu-Ray would be amazing as well. As for sound mix...well, sounds like they could use a new mix if there's no 5.1 available.

There is 5.1 available via the DVDs, it's just poorly done in my opinion.

Dialogue is shamelessly scattered to the rear channels for even the most mundane of scenes.  -_- (The 5.1 mix is where I got the audio for my Bionicle film soundtracks).

Even if they were to remix, one of the issues is that Furst lost at least one of the film scores in a hard drive crash (LoMN). I suppose someone has a copy somewhere from when the films were being produced, but I'm always very scared that those scores will never see the light of day again.

As for your 4K comments... no one has a 4K TV right now. Even if they had $25,000 to spare on a 4K TV, there's very little content being distributed to the public in 4K, with none of the methods being terribly effective. Not even theaters display at that high a resolution.

Sony has "Mastered in 4K" Blu-rays that they're trying to promote, but all that means is the bitrate is a little higher than usual. Nothing to get excited about.

There are places where you can get movie trailers in ProRes format (220 MBPS) and I'm sure those would look fine on a 4K TV... but 4K is overkill in my opinion. People watch movies on their tiny, awful phones and with terrible earbuds; only the film geeks care for these sorts of technological advances. Companies tend to pander to the common man, not the geeks.

The scenes that could look good in quality 3D would be the Kohlii match and Vakama's visions. The latter could be made to look exceptionally weird in terms of depth, and I love weird in my films.

Meh, I didn't go see it, but I'm pretty sure Jurassic Park's 3D remaster was just a cash-in on Jurassic World being announced...well, and the 20th anniversary.

As for that HD picture of LoMN...that organic tissue IS a little unnerving in HD.

I've seen some good 3D movies over the years, and I think calling 3D a gimmick is about as ridiculous as calling color film a gimmick. Both can be used in gimmicky ways but that doesn't mean they can't also have artistic value. Among others, Hugo and The LEGO Movie both used 3D really artfully to create a sense of immersion, and not just for the shock value of things jumping at you like you'd see at a typical 3D or 4D theme park attraction.

With that said, I don't know which, if any, of the Bionicle movies would translate well to 3D, since they were not made with 3D viewing in mind. They might not be a natural fit for 3D post-processing any more than, say, Citizen Kane would be a natural fit for colorization. 3D isn't just a switch you can flip that makes any movie better. To be most effective, it usually has to be a conscious part of the filmmaking process.

• Upvote 3

I think calling 3D a gimmick is about as ridiculous as calling color film a gimmick.

That's a little different. That's the result of an evolution in camera technology. It's gotten so good that color has become the standard.

That's not the way it is with 3D. There are methods for shooting live-action 3D, but it's so much easier to just slap the final cut into a converter. If something is shot natively in 3D then I think it ought to be given more attention.

I imagine most directors shoot with the intention of letting third-party companies decide how the film will look in 3D, when they're paid to do the conversion process. It's not really the director's work.

Getting back to color film - do you or do you not approve of black-and-white films being "colorized" (you mentioned Citizen Kane wouldn't be a good fit)? Or how about "tints"? If you take a look at Raiders of the Lost Ark, you'll see it looks very yellow. Go back to your DVD and you'll see there are far more colors in the film that the Blu-ray would lead you to believe. Is it right to change a film for the sole sake of making it "look better" to today's audiences?

That's the dilemma with 3D. I like seeing the film the way the director wanted me to, or at least try my best. Which means that I'm only interested in 3D if the director or someone in a similar position had some input into how it can help the appearance of the film.

I'm a bit of a film geek, as you can see.  :P

Okay, Hugo I saw in 3D and I agree, it looked pretty good. But that's the exception and not the norm.

After reading some of these comments, I still stand that I don't think that I'd want to see the Bionicle movies in 3D.

However I would want to see them in imax, mostly because the sheer size of the screen adds a more realistic effect to the movie without distracting you with bulging details coming off the screen, in my opinion. 

bZpOwEr

I think calling 3D a gimmick is about as ridiculous as calling color film a gimmick.

That's a little different. That's the result of an evolution in camera technology. It's gotten so good that color has become the standard.

That's not the way it is with 3D. There are methods for shooting live-action 3D, but it's so much easier to just slap the final cut into a converter. If something is shot natively in 3D then I think it ought to be given more attention.

I imagine most directors shoot with the intention of letting third-party companies decide how the film will look in 3D, when they're paid to do the conversion process. It's not really the director's work.

Getting back to color film - do you or do you not approve of black-and-white films being "colorized" (you mentioned Citizen Kane wouldn't be a good fit)? Or how about "tints"? If you take a look at Raiders of the Lost Ark, you'll see it looks very yellow. Go back to your DVD and you'll see there are far more colors in the film that the Blu-ray would lead you to believe. Is it right to change a film for the sole sake of making it "look better" to today's audiences?

That's the dilemma with 3D. I like seeing the film the way the director wanted me to, or at least try my best. Which means that I'm only interested in 3D if the director or someone in a similar position had some input into how it can help the appearance of the film.

I'm a bit of a film geek, as you can see.  :P

Whether I approve of movies being colorized or tinted would probably vary on a case-by-case basis. I chose Citizen Kane as my example, for instance, because it's a movie widely acclaimed for its cinematography. It'd be a real gamble to attempt to use color to improve something that's already considered a masterpiece of black-and-white filmmaking. On the other hand, there are probably some black-and-white films that could be colorized really effectively, just as there are some 2D films that would translate really well to 3D.

The issue is that if a movie wasn't made with those changes in mind, there's little way of knowing how it will turn out until you've gone ahead and made those changes. That's my issue with this topic. The Bionicle movies weren't made with 3D viewing in mind. Maybe they'd translate well to 3D. Maybe they wouldn't. Maybe some parts would and others wouldn't. I can't really say "yes, I'd love to see these movies in 3D" or "no, they should be left in 2D" without being able to predict that outcome. However, I generally would have more faith in a movie that during filming is expected to get a 3D release, and filmed with that in mind, than an older film that's been converted to 3D.

The amount of care put into the conversion is another factor. The Bionicle movies aren't high art, and their cinematography was not groundbreaking even for their time, so I doubt they'd get as much care put into the 3D conversion as, say, a timeless Disney film like Aladdin or the original Star Wars trilogy. I can't imagine myself begging for those to get a 3D re-release, but if one was announced I'd at least be moderately enthusiastic about seeing how they turned out, because they're made by studios that know and appreciate the value of their product. However, if 3D re-releases of the Bionicle movies were announced in this day and age... I'd probably have some misgivings.

On color: I don't think it's "wrong" to colorize film as long as the original black and white print is also available. Same with effects. Look at the Star Wars trilogy (both of them). They added special effects with new technology to basically all of them at some point. That alone doesn't anger me. What DOES anger me is that George Lucas ridiculously guards the original prints with his life, hoping they never see the light of day again. As if they're an embarrassment or something.

So, I guess the same applies to 3D. The difference is: does anyone really care enough for it to be profitable?

There is 5.1 available via the DVDs, it's just poorly done in my opinion.

Dialogue is shamelessly scattered to the rear channels for even the most mundane of scenes.  -_- (The 5.1 mix is where I got the audio for my Bionicle film soundtracks).

Even if they were to remix, one of the issues is that Furst lost at least one of the film scores in a hard drive crash (LoMN). I suppose someone has a copy somewhere from when the films were being produced, but I'm always very scared that those scores will never see the light of day again.

As for your 4K comments... no one has a 4K TV right now. Even if they had $25,000 to spare on a 4K TV, there's very little content being distributed to the public in 4K, with none of the methods being terribly effective. Not even theaters display at that high a resolution.

Sony has "Mastered in 4K" Blu-rays that they're trying to promote, but all that means is the bitrate is a little higher than usual. Nothing to get excited about.

There are places where you can get movie trailers in ProRes format (220 MBPS) and I'm sure those would look fine on a 4K TV... but 4K is overkill in my opinion. People watch movies on their tiny, awful phones and with terrible earbuds; only the film geeks care for these sorts of technological advances. Companies tend to pander to the common man, not the geeks.

The scenes that could look good in quality 3D would be the Kohlii match and Vakama's visions. The latter could be made to look exceptionally weird in terms of depth, and I love weird in my films.

Oh, there is 5.1 on the DVDs? I haven't watched 'em in ages, lol. As for 4K, Sony's "Mastered in 4K" Blu-Rays actually have expanded color as well, but nothing as fancy as the actual UHD Blu-Rays. Granted, I'm honestly not too concerned with 4K, 3D is the higher priority for me, and it seems getting both in the same package won't be easy, if at all possible. Once there's 3D UHD Blu-Rays, then I'll invest in the technology. As is, I agree that it's overkill. Shame Furst lost one of the score pieces in a hard drive crash...perhaps they could replicate it somehow, I hope. The Kohlii match would perhaps look interesting in 3D, as would some of the Rahkshi visuals. But overall, I'd agree that Vakama's vision sequences would look best for that weird trippiness that Alice in Wonderland 3D achieved. Web of Shadows, in my opinion, would be the overall best, being able to utilize depth, popouts, and some of that trippiness if it were converted.