Vezon

Crunchyn

I saw this first on my mobile and I couldn't write then. This is a beautifully rendered picture, the atmosphere just hits. I'm really in love with the high contrast between Vezon and the background and the colour palette perfectly delivers it. And do I spy a montage in the bg? How did you add this peculiar stroke effect to the picture?

bio_sig02_lores_by_oyee-d77i3td.jpg

New pages are up! Click to see latest! \(°u°)/

Gallery & conceptart topic - Current: Pre-mut & pre-ev Makuta: Krika | Antroz | Vamprah | Miserix | Bitil | .. 

Older pics: Helryx's Fury | Makuta Sethuldur | Order's Call (no necro k? C8)

I saw this first on my mobile and I couldn't write then. This is a beautifully rendered picture, the atmosphere just hits. I'm really in love with the high contrast between Vezon and the background and the colour palette perfectly delivers it. And do I spy a montage in the bg? How did you add this peculiar stroke effect to the picture?

Thanks for the comment! Haha yes, I bashed in an image of the Ignika from the comics to fill up the empty space I had there, that version fit the best and wasn't as distracting as the set form. As for the stroke effect, that was done by hand with a specific brush. I can't remember it right now as I'm at a different workstation currently, but it was a rake-ish brush with color dynamics settings (possibly from Houston Sharp? I've been going toward his set of brushes usually) and I'd just go back and forth using the colors from the artwork to create that effect.

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

This is amazing!  Artwork this captivating has to be one of the only ways that Bionicle can really come to life, and here it really does. I really like how it fits together with the liquid painted horizontally, the light above vertically, and Vezon right in the middle of it all. All the particles flying off the staff and the staff itself might be my favorite part. I'm guessing it took less time than painting Vezon, for example, but you still really made it look very believable. I dig the subtle heat glowing in it, too.

Really great work, thanks for posting this!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the comment! Haha yes, I bashed in an image of the Ignika from the comics to fill up the empty space I had there, that version fit the best and wasn't as distracting as the set form. As for the stroke effect, that was done by hand with a specific brush. I can't remember it right now as I'm at a different workstation currently, but it was a rake-ish brush with color dynamics settings (possibly from Houston Sharp? I've been going toward his set of brushes usually) and I'd just go back and forth using the colors from the artwork to create that effect.

That must have been some work. But it really did pay off. I still love this woodeny texture it gives of.

bio_sig02_lores_by_oyee-d77i3td.jpg

New pages are up! Click to see latest! \(°u°)/

Gallery & conceptart topic - Current: Pre-mut & pre-ev Makuta: Krika | Antroz | Vamprah | Miserix | Bitil | .. 

Older pics: Helryx's Fury | Makuta Sethuldur | Order's Call (no necro k? C8)

YES! This is so beautiful. The reds in the background with the Ignika are super nice and really make the image pop. And the energy coming off the staff of fusion really makes the image look a lot more dynamic. If I were to critique anything it would be that he doesn't noticeably have his trademark curly torn cape, and that while I realize it was a design decision derived directly from the set I'm not 100% sold on the belly armor. Regardless of those minor things this is still fantastic, and I actually might put this as my phone wallpaper if you don't mind!

YES! This is so beautiful. The reds in the background with the Ignika are super nice and really make the image pop. And the energy coming off the staff of fusion really makes the image look a lot more dynamic. If I were to critique anything it would be that he doesn't noticeably have his trademark curly torn cape, and that while I realize it was a design decision derived directly from the set I'm not 100% sold on the belly armor. Regardless of those minor things this is still fantastic, and I actually might put this as my phone wallpaper if you don't mind!

Thanks! I agree with your comment on the belly armor (actually the whole torso kinda looks like a face on its own as I look more at it). And it's cool to use it as a wallpaper for your phone, there's a couple of people I know (me included) that have done it :P

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

Congratulations on making the front page. I love this painting. The whole thing looks like it's flowing with energy. I love that comic version of the Ignika in the background, and the streak effect, and Vezon himself looks awesome, especially his mask and his spear.

IetTsFQ.png

Crunchyn delivers as always. I love the sketchy background stuff; it's reminiscent of the comics. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

One word: Wow.

This is some beautifully drawn and painted stuff, very vivid and rich.

As a big fan of Vezon, I really think you captured his cheerful yet malignant madness extremely well, as he rises from the lava. My only criticism is the lower torso - it bulges oddly, but that could be explained as a surreal side-effect from the influx of Life energy that he was suffused with at the time.

Anyway, great job, and I hope to see more of your work!

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

"That's a good idea.  We'll just stand very still and quiet.  When they come, they won't even notice us.  Or if they do, they'll thing, 'look how still and quiet they are.  They would never harm an insect.'  Yes, they will see how well we behave and not be afraid to come close and then... and then..."

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

• 1 month later...

One of my favorite villains in the storyline. His overall set design combined with his backstory and personality made me want so much more out of the comics and books. I've always wanted to read some more about him, but I've barely even touched the subject of Bionicle in years.

Well done on this work. I do like how the Ignika has been kept in its original state prior to the Toa Mahri storyline (I do believe it didn't have a definitve design until 2009, but then I can't quite recall). It adds a bit of mystery to it, as it was never fully in focus whenever on the page of a comic.

Remembering the OACP. 

Back in my day, we created amazing wondrous fictions within the Bionicle Universe.