Heat Vision Temporary Blindness?

Quick question for fellow story experts who are hopefully less forgetful than me and not as busy. I finally got back to writing the final battle of my retelling, and wanted to have the main character comment on the choice of most of the Rahkshi being of Heat Vision. I thought I recalled that the use of that power temporarily blinded the Kraata, but couldn't find confirmation on BS01 from a quick search.

Am I remembering that right? Or was that Laser Vision? And/or only Kraata of a lower level maybe?? Or what?

Also, does anybody remember any official comment on why Makuta did use mostly that type in that battle? (The idea for the comment would be that the temporary blindness made it seem like an odd choice, versus various other powers, making the protagonist wonder why it was chosen anyways.) I vaguely seem to recall something like that, but not the details, and I probably won't have time to research it myself this week. On a roll with the writing so wanted to keep at it rather than get sidetracked (I'll just leave a note to edit this part later).

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

For the first part, yeah, Heat Vision does temporarily blind/weaken the eyesight of the user, as it says in the Trivia part of Heat Vision's page on BS01. As for the second part of the question, I dimly recall Greg saying somewhere that the main force of Rahkshi on Spherus Magna was initially Heat Vision Rahkshi, and that later on in the battle, other types of Rahkshi emerged (although why it was mainly Heat Vision Rahkshi I don't know). But, I could be misremembering or not remembering the entirety of that, so, yeah...

EDIT: Also, for what it's worth, there must've been at least one Rahkshi of Quick Healing there, as Greg later said that Tahu gained that ability from the Golden Armor/Rahkshi. 

Edited by unknown456
  • Upvote 2

Forever remember the Podu

R.I.P. Hahli, Lesovikk, and Ehlek. Died of Green Plastic Syndrome.

Pridaddy will always be with us

Honestly it seems smarter to send out Hunger Rahkshi than Heat Vision.

For the first part, yeah, Heat Vision does temporarily blind/weaken the eyesight of the user, as it says in the Trivia part of Heat Vision's page on BS01. As for the second part of the question, I dimly recall Greg saying somewhere that the main force of Rahkshi on Spherus Magna was initially Heat Vision Rahkshi, and that later on in the battle, other types of Rahkshi emerged. But, I could be misremembering or not remembering the entirety of that, so, yeah...

Now i had a Greg quote relating to this, but i can't find it. :C

For the first part, yeah, Heat Vision does temporarily blind/weaken the eyesight of the user, as it says in the Trivia part of Heat Vision's page

Oh. That's what I get for skimming in a hurry lol. I looked at that real fast and didn't catch that part so I assumed it didn't mention it. Still wondering the rest, though, so glad I made that topic. Regardless, thanks. :)

As for why, my guess (as I have the protagonist realize a moment later) is both vision powers being so easy to aim and hitting instantly outweighed the downside in Makuta's mind. :shrugs:

Thanks for the Quick Healing bit. Might use it as a nod to that, we'll see.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I'll start with this: 

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Heat_Vision

Many wielders of Heat Vision, such as the Rahkshi of Heat Vision, Tahu, Hakann, and the Makuta, have their eyesight temporarily hindered after using the power.[1]

That [1] refers to: 

1a. When Tahu uses his Heat Vision power, is his eyesight temporarily weakened like the Rahkshi of Heat Vision?

1) Yes

Other stuff: 

3 Is there a storyline reason why mostly Heat Vision Rahkshi were unleashed on Bara Magna?

3) They weren't. We never said the army was mostly them -- we just only showed them because that was the one we had a set of.

5. Did Teridax use any other Rahkshi besides Heat Vision to invade Bara Magna?
5) Yes

3)Could you give a story reason for Rahkshi of Heat Vision being the most common in Teridax�s army on BM? Was it because their Kraata are easier to create?

3) There is no story reason for it. They are most common because that is the set we made so that is what would show up in the comic.

Apr 12 2010, 03:22 PM

8) Did Teridax send only Heat Vision Rahkshi onto Bara Magna or a mixture of different kinds, with the heat vision type more common than the rest?

8) No, not only heat vision Rahkshi.

There are several more answers like this.

However, the true source of the heat vision = weak eyes temporarily is Bionicle Adventures #1: Mystery of Metru Nui: 

[Whenua] ducked into a doorway just as the wall crumbled. There was something Tehutti had said about yellow Rahkshi once, if only he could remember. What was it? Tehutti was always on about one piece of exhibt trivia or other.

Then it came to him. Right after it uses its heat beams, the Rahkshi's eyesight is weakened temporarily. Tehutti had been right, too, for the creature walked right past Whenua's hiding place without spotting him.

Go!

-----------------------------------------

It was indeed in the first adventures book, but I remember it being retconned at some point due to the 2010 story.

In general, the heat vision power temporarily weakens the user's vision after use, as is the case with the heat vision Rahkshi, Makuta, Hakann, and now Tahu. Users of heat vision can also control how hot the beams are. [sourcesource

Obviously, those links are dead. But I'm pretty sure it refers to this, since topic 275890 on the old forum is the Official Greg Dialogue

1a. When Tahu uses his Heat Vision power, is his eyesight temporarily weakened like the Rahkshi of Heat Vision? 
1b. Does Hakann? 
1c. Did the Makuta species? 

1) Yes 
1b) Yes 
1c) Yes

Also: 

3. BS01 states that the rahkshi of heat vision are blinded after using their powers, yet I heard it was retconed. Which is true?

3) I don't recall discussing that one way or the other with anyone.

Which implies IMO that it wasn't retconned. 

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 4

It was indeed in the first adventures book, but I remember it being retconned at some point due to the 2010 story.

It wasn't retconned. What was retconned was the use of their staff. Back then, RoHV didn't need a staff to use their power. In 2010, he said they do need it to use their power (or, at least, to restore their vision faster).

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Awesome -- thanks for the quotes, fishers, and more answers to the rest. About "most of them" -- if unknown is right about the emerging later thing, the initial wave might be "mostly" Heat Vision while the whole army wouldn't. :shrugs: I think I'll just avoid the issue and say "many".

• Upvote 1

It wasn't retconned. What was retconned was the use of their staff. Back then, RoHV didn't need a staff to use their power. In 2010, he said they do need it to use their power (or, at least, to restore their vision faster).

I'll just verify the staff thing:

I was thinking about the staff of the Heat Vision Rahkshi, and I thought possibly that it could be used to amplify or target the heat vision blasts. As in, the Rahkshi stares at the staff, shoots and eyebeam, and the beams go out one or both of the ends of the staff, possibly with more power than before. What do you think of this?

I'm setting it up that if they are not holding the staff, they lose their power.

*cue someone in 2010 bringing up the Mystery of Metru Nui scene, and then some smart person noting that the Rahkshi could have had the staff in that scene* 

1. I know it doesn't channel their heat vision powers, but does it increase or improve them in any way when they're in possession of the staff?

1) Yes, it does. If they don't have the staff in hand, they lose the power.

In view of that, I don't think that's a retcon either. 

I'll just verify the staff thing:

I was thinking about the staff of the Heat Vision Rahkshi, and I thought possibly that it could be used to amplify or target the heat vision blasts. As in, the Rahkshi stares at the staff, shoots and eyebeam, and the beams go out one or both of the ends of the staff, possibly with more power than before. What do you think of this?

I'm setting it up that if they are not holding the staff, they lose their power.

*cue someone in 2010 bringing up the Mystery of Metru Nui scene, and then some smart person noting that the Rahkshi could have had the staff in that scene* 

1. I know it doesn't channel their heat vision powers, but does it increase or improve them in any way when they're in possession of the staff?

1) Yes, it does. If they don't have the staff in hand, they lose the power.

In view of that, I don't think that's a retcon either. 

Those answers were from 2010, though. In years before that, it had been established that it didn't matter if they had the staff or not. 

• Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Take it from someone who is actually horribly shortsighted; weakened vision does not mean blinded. I am not blind without my glasses, but I'm incapable of reading and have tremendous difficulty making out clouds against a blue sky, let alone faces or a dark-armoured Toa hiding in shadows. That's more what I picture heat vision does; it robs the user's vision of details, colours or location while still leaving them able to see.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Good point. I was taking it as a time of total blindness... But the book and the quote do indeed both just say "weakened." I'll edit, though I won't go into detail about it...

Good point. I was taking it as a time of total blindness... But the book and the quote do indeed both just say "weakened." I'll edit, though I won't go into detail about it...

In the book, obviously the Rahkshi knew where the hallways was, but due to the dim light, it couldn't locate the black-armored Toa and Matoran.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Seems like a minor enough detail to have been mentioned in passing in a novel, but not noted on BS01.
Maybe it applied to Hakann, but not necessarily Rahkshi?

the real world reason why heatvision is obviously just that Rahkshi was the yellow set in the Stars lineup, and Greg looked back on the kraata chart and saw "oh, heat vision!"

In story, Greg said that Teridax just liked them. they were his favourite type of rahkshi. he liked the combination of precision and violence or something.

Don't forget, the Rahkshi represented by the Stars set are a larger, bulkier Rahkshi 2.0 that Teridak made after taking over the Universe, and that although heat vision rahkshi were the most common type, in the final battle, there were several other (possibly all) types of Rahkshi present.
I'm pretty sure there were both regular and super Rakshi at the battle, but I don't remember if the super ones came in all types, or just heat vision.

Well, we don't know that this affects Skakdi. It's only been known to affect Makuta, Rahkshi, and Tahu (who got his powers from Rahkshi). Avak's x-ray or telescopic vision wouldn't cause any problems, or else the Akaku would have that drawback too. 

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Heat vision (at least with our eye-makeup) would overheat various parts of the eyeball temporarily, causing a decline. I'm not much of a camera person, but I'm sure significant amounts of heat damage cameras' quality as well.

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Or maybe it's as simple as heat vision emitting light of some sort (as sci-fi heat/"laser" vision usually does so the audience can see it), and you're basically staring at a light source taking up your entire field of view for a few seconds. That'd weaken anybody's vision. 

Alternatively, the heat vision power actively makes your eyes less responsive to light in the short term to prevent this from causing permanent damage.

• Upvote 2

IrMSNn3.png

Well, we don't know that this affects Skakdi. It's only been known to affect Makuta, Rahkshi, and Tahu (who got his powers from Rahkshi). Avak's x-ray or telescopic vision wouldn't cause any problems, or else the Akaku would have that drawback too.

1b. Does Hakann? 

1) Yes 

1b) Yes 

1c) Yes

I believe Mr. Hakann qualifies as a Skakdi. However, I never really saw this in effect in any of the Legends books, so it feels like an out-of-left-field retcon.

1b. Does Hakann? 

1) Yes 

1b) Yes 

1c) Yes

I believe Mr. Hakann qualifies as a Skakdi. However, I never really saw this in effect in any of the Legends books, so it feels like an out-of-left-field retcon.

Hence, my wording. We never DID see it affect a Skakdi in any of Greg's own written works, not counting the apparent retcon.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Or maybe it's as simple as heat vision emitting light of some sort (as sci-fi heat/"laser" vision usually does so the audience can see it), and you're basically staring at a light source taking up your entire field of view for a few seconds. That'd weaken anybody's vision. 

Alternatively, the heat vision power actively makes your eyes less responsive to light in the short term to prevent this from causing permanent damage.

Not to be petty but isn't this more of "laser vision" a completely seperate rahkshi power?

(although why we didn't just get a single rahkshi of beam-vision i have no idea, oh well.)

pretty sure heat-vision fires beams of, well, heat, however that works? microwaves? :0

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

pretty sure heat-vision fires beams of, well, heat, however that works? microwaves? :0

Heat is infrared radiation. So I suppose (since we're talking beams of heat rather than night vision) there's some method of producing high-intensity infrared radiation that uses the eyes, or areas close enough that it's even odds the same.

Not to be petty but isn't this more of "laser vision" a completely seperate rahkshi power?

(although why we didn't just get a single rahkshi of beam-vision i have no idea, oh well.)

I'm imagining something like the heat vision from Man of Steel that basically has beams of fire shooting out of Supe's eyes. Not terribly realistic, but definitely cool-looking, and it seems Bionicle usually follows the Rule of Cool for this sort of thing.

IrMSNn3.png

I'm imagining something like the heat vision from Man of Steel that basically has beams of fire shooting out of Supe's eyes. Not terribly realistic, but definitely cool-looking, and it seems Bionicle usually follows the Rule of Cool for this sort of thing.

That picture is so cool...

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I just re-read the Whenua chapter of Mystery of Metru Nui and yes, Whenua escapes the Rahkshi of Heat vision because it can't see him immediately after shooting at him.

The question was whether that meant the Rahkshi was blinded or merely visually impaired? Sure as Karzahni I'd be considered blind in any period of history before glasses were invented, but I wouldn't be completely blinded.