The Dentist's Chair

Distorted

Great to see you MOCing again after all these years!

I like this quite a bit. Everything looks suitably ominous, like the face restraint and the various sharp tools and whatnot. I think part of the effectiveness is from how it channels the general childhood fear of dentists and their tools, which is a cool effect to get scariness from associations rather than it directly appearing as inherently frightening. It also makes me think of the dentist from The Simpsons: "First I'm going to be chiseling some teeth out of your jaw bone. Now hold still while I gas you!"

~B~

• Upvote 1

That's pretty spot on for a psycho dentist's chair (that saw blade!), but does it recline? How much motion does it have? Have you tried putting a Matoran-size creature in it?

Very nice use of the rubber band holders... I always feel stumped with those things, never even thought of something like this.

Also, where'd that bottom piece come from?

©1984-2015 Toaraga EAM

• Upvote 1

COT Official Topics | Trade References | COT RPG Guidelines | Truth | A Naming Day Carol | Stars Review The trouble with the status quo is that it keeps changing."College dropout, Shego: they let me in; I let myself out." -Dr. Drakken No great feat was ever accomplished by those who gave into fear or caved under pressure. Earthquakes in many places.|| Busy with life

Thanks for the comments guys. :)

Nice, it's suitably ominous and well built. The pieces the make the padding, weren't they from the Tiny Turbo sets? I thought they were entirely worthless, I guess I was wrong.

Thanks very much. I got mine from various other sets, but I expect they were in Tiny Turbos too - they're just standard rubber band holders. Every piece is useful in one way or another! :)

wow, what a neat use of that old rubber-band-holding-bit o:

and it's all monochromatic too, spooky!

and finally, the horrid array of completely inaccurate dental practition tools to up the nightmare (as all spooky dentist chairs have!)

really really solid model. o:

Nobody said it was being used for dentistry... ;) Thanks for the kind comments!

Great to see you MOCing again after all these years!

I like this quite a bit. Everything looks suitably ominous, like the face restraint and the various sharp tools and whatnot. I think part of the effectiveness is from how it channels the general childhood fear of dentists and their tools, which is a cool effect to get scariness from associations rather than it directly appearing as inherently frightening. It also makes me think of the dentist from The Simpsons: "First I'm going to be chiseling some teeth out of your jaw bone. Now hold still while I gas you!"

~B~

Thanks Ballom! Yeah, it's been an embarrassingly long time...

Honestly, it's not a crazy-original idea, but I'm glad you like it! Scary things are always scarier when they let you fill in the blanks, right? ;)

That's pretty spot on for a psycho dentist's chair (that saw blade!), but does it recline? How much motion does it have? Have you tried putting a Matoran-size creature in it?

Very nice use of the rubber band holders... I always feel stumped with those things, never even thought of something like this.

Also, where'd that bottom piece come from?

©1984-2015 Toaraga EAM

Thanks for the review. Sadly no motion at all really - the arms move but that's about it. I did have the chair on a ball socket joint before, but it just kind of flopped around a lot and the reclining angle looked awkward. Definitely thinking of adding in a reclining function later though.

Haven't put anything in there yet. I was thinking of adding a human figure with Belville clothes, but I couldn't figure out how to make a decent head in time at that scale. The bottom piece is from a Technic bike set - I think it also comes in the Hero Factory bike sets.

This MOC is really spooky, in a fantastic way. Was it, in any way, inspired by SCP-1300? It's eerily similar, especially this part:

four mechanical arms with blunted heads emerge from the column base

Edited by Jacquestodian Vanson
  • Upvote 1

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

This MOC is really spooky, in a fantastic way. Was it, in any way, inspired by SCP-1300? It's eerily similar, especially this part:

four mechanical arms with blunted heads emerge from the column base[/size]

It was actually inspired by the operating room chair in the game Albino Lullaby, but freaky chairs are quite a standard goofy horror trope, which is why I went with it. Kind of freaky how the SCP specifically mentions four arms though...

Behold, the chair that inspired Doctor Overbuild.

Never played Universe, but having googled him I can see the resemblance!

• Upvote 1

four mechanical arms with blunted heads emerge from the column base[/size]

It was actually inspired by the operating room chair in the game Albino Lullaby, but freaky chairs are quite a standard goofy horror trope, which is why I went with it. Kind of freaky how the SCP specifically mentions four arms though...

Oh yeah, I forgot about that game. I see the resemblance now.

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

I laughed at this, and glad I am currently switching to a dentist that provides knocking-out gas for my upcoming mouth surgery.

Very great creativity and piece utilization! I love using those Bohrok rubber-band holders when I can, also love that Lego even put stud slots so you can use them. :lol: Those cartoony arm robot chairs and the head brace... lawlz...

+1

EDIT: One thing I want to point out, is the absence of the standard foot rest. Where did it go? :(?? Jimmy? Where aaarrrre yooouuu Jimmyyyy?! *whistles like to a dog* Fwhit! Fwhit fwhit fwhit! C'mere Jim-Jim! Get back on your seat boy!

Edited by Sir Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

• 1 month later...