The Nexo Knights Wishlist

aldero

I'm sure that we've all at least heard of the newest original theme destined for Ninjago proportions, Nexo Knights. I've been craving some good ol' Western-style fantasy ever since the LEGO Kingdoms line ended (2013 Castle theme is utterly irrelevant) and as much as I'd love to see the return of the Fantasy Era style of Castle, I'm quite eager to see Nexo Knights go places. So, my question is: What do you want to see?

I'll kick off the discussion on the note of Merlok 2.0. I'll be honest, I love the concept of this guy. He puts a bit of a spin on the wise mentor character we've seen in every, I repeat, every original theme with a story by making him everyone's personal J.A.R.V.I.S. This is a pretty good example of what Nexo Knights should be in my opinion; the same tale with everything changed. With that, I'd love to see some spins on some fantasy archetypes such as dwarves, trolls, skeletons, wizards and, most importantly, dragons.

• Upvote 1

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

Characters with actual personalities.

I'd hate to be such a pessimist, but since this series seems to be following the same formula established by Ninjago, we might just get fleshed-out archetypes. My suggestion would be to wait for them to really develop their personalities. Even then, it's all just archetypes.

< -< =<o>= >- >

< -< =<o>= >- >

I'd hate to be such a pessimist, but since this series seems to be following the same formula established by Ninjago, we might just get fleshed-out archetypes. My suggestion would be to wait for them to really develop their personalities. Even then, it's all just archetypes.

I'd argue that Ninjago's characters are no less complex than Bionicle's... and I'm not just talking about G2. Most of Bionicle's characters were never much more than archetypes, either.

Anyway, one thing I'm hoping for is diverse villains. Currently the Book of Monsters seems to be mostly making lava creatures, but I'm sure it could just as easily create enemies from other materials.

I also would love to see stuff that could be used for Bionicle MOCs. The dark grey Technic panels in Fortrex would be amazing for scenery, and I'd love to see more things like that.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Out of curiosity, how would this look to you? 'cuz having a goal, strength, and flaw is often enough to form the basis of a personality/character in writing and the character descriptions for Nexo have those elements.

• Upvote 2

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

Out of curiosity, how would this look to you? 'cuz having a goal, strength, and flaw is often enough to form the basis of a personality/character in writing and the character descriptions for Nexo have those elements.

Look to the flaws added to each G2 Toa to see an example of this yielding a bad result.

Look to the flaws added to each G2 Toa to see an example of this yielding a bad result.

For a given value of "bad", maybe—I think the flaws added to the G2 Toa are excellent and give them better personalities than the G1 Toa, who barely had personality traits at all outside of their base archetypes.

For a given value of "bad", maybe—I think the flaws added to the G2 Toa are excellent and give them better personalities than the G1 Toa, who barely had personality traits at all outside of their base archetypes.

That's... a really good point, actually. Sure, they might come across as much more comical to our cynical selves now, but it helps to give a better sense of identity to the Toa (and for that matter, Ninja). Nexo Knights definitely seems like the theme to sport some well-fleshed out, entertaining characters with their own completely separate identity. Yes, I'm seeing a lot of, say, Nya in Macy, so I hope LEGO shakes things up enough without stirring up the archetype of a witty, confident and deviant female character.

Edited by Professor Turnip

< -< =<o>= >- >

< -< =<o>= >- >

The flaws of the Toa never actually appeared in the story. As such, they are mostly irrelevant. Anything that appears in character bios (like the character profiles of the Arena Method), that doesn't appear in the story...isn't actually in the story, so it really isn't a part of the characters. 

I think the Nexo knights have actual personalities. What they are lacking is actual character development that isn't shoehorned into an anvilicious moral lesson for the audience. That's what I want to see.  

• Upvote 2

They're somewhat childish(which isn't very bad) and look very tacked-on.

(As for G1, I'd note Nuju as not adhering to that. Other than that, I don't really know. The Air Toa were kinda cool, and maybe the traitor Toa.)

The flaws of the Toa never actually appeared in the story. As such, they are mostly irrelevant. Anything that appears in character bios (like the character profiles of the Arena Method), that doesn't appear in the story...isn't actually in the story, so it really isn't a part of the characters. 

I think the Nexo knights have actual personalities. What they are lacking is actual character development that isn't shoehorned into an anvilicious moral lesson for the audience. That's what I want to see.  

Well, I think they are parts of the characters, just as much as a creator giving clarifications outside the story.

Also, character development isn't mandatory.

Edited by abstractAgamid

Of course the Nexo Knights characters lack character development—the story has literally not even started. I'm sure that, like the Ninjago characters, they'll.get character development as the series progresses.

As for the Bionicle character flaws, we HAVE seen some of them, particularly Kopaka's clumsiness, Onua's sluggishness, and Pohatu's fear of the dark. I'd like to see more, but assuming the other characters don't actually have those flaws just because the limited story we've seen so far hasn't featured them is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also wish for Ultrabuilds. It would be amazing to get dark blue shells with Clay and the XL chestplate in silver with Axl.

A bit unrelated, but this seems to be the only NK topic in here (unless there's another one somewhere else), so I'll post it here.

Yesterday I went to Brick 2015 in London and met Mark Stafford in the small NK display, where there were various prototype pieces and minifigures, and various prototype stages of Clay's Rumble Blade.

I had a very fun and informative chat with him (especially about the lack of space themes, also some bits about bionicle). Obviously I wasn't going to get out of there without a signed shirt.  :P

Here's the gallery with pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/7jeqx

SH0Gxlo.png

I also wish for Ultrabuilds. It would be amazing to get dark blue shells with Clay and the XL chestplate in silver with Axl.

A bit unrelated, but this seems to be the only NK topic in here (unless there's another one somewhere else), so I'll post it here.

Yesterday I went to Brick 2015 in London and met Mark Stafford in the small NK display, where there were various prototype pieces and minifigures, and various prototype stages of Clay's Rumble Blade.

I had a very fun and informative chat with him (especially about the lack of space themes, also some bits about bionicle). Obviously I wasn't going to get out of there without a signed shirt.  :P

Here's the gallery with pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/7jeqx

Thanks for the gallery! I always love seeing development info like this, but unfortunately there was an ocean between me and that event, so I'm very grateful you could record those prototypes for future reference.

Anyway, some of the things I want to see in the theme's future include future-tech peasants and robo-peasants under siege by Jestro's monsters (with windmills, barns, and all that neo-rustic jazz), Ultimate sets of Ava, Axl, Lance, and King Halbert, and generally just more of the same sort of good stuff we've been getting!

I'm a sucker for mechs and I'm hoping the Knights get them, just like the king has in this first wave. I was really hoping for a mini-exoknight with the Ultimate sets, but I was sorely disappointed when the pictures were released. 

Fingers crossed, the next few waves will include at least a few appropriately coloured (as per each Knight's colour scheme) robot armour for the Knights to use.

"Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, 'No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back,' it never WOULD have come back."

-Greg Farshtey

Since seeing the actual episodes, I've got a few more things for my wishlist...

• Actual hairpieces for all of the knights. Some of them, like Lance, already have their hairpieces available in the right colors in other sets. But some, like Aaron, need existing hairpieces in new colors, and others, like Axl, Macy, and Clay, need entirely new molds. It took three years for Ninjago characters to finally come with their hairpieces, and I'd like to not have to wait as long for this theme.
  • King Halbert in his ordinary regalia (as opposed to the armor he comes with in his set). A princess Macy fig could be cool, too. Maybe if we get a large Knightonia Castle set?
  • A pre-digitization Merlok (Merlok 1.0?) and pre-evil Jestro would be nice, though I don't know what sort of set they might fit in.
  • That large mech suit for the small robots would be pretty sweet to get physically.
  • The doofy-lookin' monster that carries the Book of Monsters HAS to come in a set. That other giant monster (which even upon rewatching I couldn't catch the name of) is pretty cool, too. Hopefully we'll see them this summer!
Edited by Lyichir

Am I the only one a little wierded out by Jestro's completely exposed, skinless muscle showing through his clothes?

I thought that was just his underwear, or the inner lining of his jester costume. It's way too straight to be muscle, especially on his torso — real torso and leg muscles tend to go in all sorts of directions; whereas the "stripes" under the clothing of the Jestro minifigure are perfectly, unerringly vertical. You're definitely not the first person who's thought it looks like muscle, though.

Edited by Aanchir

Ah. I know muscles aren't straight (of course), but I thought this was Lego's attempt at getting away with it in a cartoonish way, sort of like the missing body parts you could see on the ice baddies in Chima, with their gaping holes where you could see bones an' everything. I'd never even considered inner lining.

Anyway... mmmmmgh, it's really hard to not just go out and buy whatever sets I can afford from this line. They all look so darn fun. But of course, I don't have room for them anywhere in my house. I think I'll at least get Lance's Mecha Horse, The King's Mech, and that Infernox thing. Yeah, that'll make an interesting piece.

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Anyway... mmmmmgh, it's really hard to not just go out and buy whatever sets I can afford from this line. They all look so darn fun. But of course, I don't have room for them anywhere in my house. I think I'll at least get Lance's Mecha Horse, The King's Mech, and that Infernox thing. Yeah, that'll make an interesting piece.

Believe me, I feel the same way. Currently I'm trying to hold out until Toy Fair, since knowing what's in store for the summer sets should hopefully help me to plan my purchases to get the figs and items I want in the cheapest way possible. But eh... I'll probably at least end up getting some of the Ultimate knights before long, since they seem to be special versions that probably won't appear in normal sets.

The Ultimate sets are pretty sweet and take up very little shelf space. I already have all the sets I want so far, except the fortrex. They don't have that one at my local B&N yet. I also don't have a spot for it on a shelf yet. Moving back into my parents house has definitely cut down on my shelf space drastically. I still need to clear out room for the 2016 bionicle sets.

So far I have ultimate clay and Macy, lances Mecha horse, Clays rumble blade, moltors lava smasher, and my favorite, Jestro's evil mobile. They're all pretty incredible sets. So far I am super impressed with the effort Lego has pumped into these. Hopefully the show lives up to these sets.

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

I like most of the Ultimate sets, but I also feel like $16 USD is exorbitantly overpriced for what is essentially a jazzed-up minifigure with a stand, plus a few power-ups for an app that I probably won't bother with. I guess all the trans-recolors must have jacked up the price point. :(

Most of the other sets look at least decent, though, so I'll probably be getting at least a few of those. The Rumble Blade and the various evil chariots are particularly impressive.

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

I like most of the Ultimate sets, but I also feel like $16 USD is exorbitantly overpriced for what is essentially a jazzed-up minifigure with a stand, plus a few power-ups for an app that I probably won't bother with. I guess all the trans-recolors must have jacked up the price point. :(

Most of the other sets look at least decent, though, so I'll probably be getting at least a few of those. The Rumble Blade and the various evil chariots are particularly impressive.

That would be pretty exorbitant, but they're actually just 10 bucks. I mean, bit high still I suppose, but not a lot. By piece count they're pretty alright.

AXKP5KC.png

Really? When I checked Lego's site last night, they were listed as $15.99...

But then, I recall some of the other sets seeming a bit overpriced, too. Maybe someone made a mistake and the prices will drop by a few bucks when they're actually released. That would be nice.

EDIT: Just double-checked, and yeah, all the prices are horribly inflated. The VIP points are fine, though, so you can tell what price they're supposed to be.

Edited by Dark_Stranger

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

Really? When I checked Lego's site last night, they were listed as $15.99...

But then, I recall some of the other sets seeming a bit overpriced, too. Maybe someone made a mistake and the prices will drop by a few bucks when they're actually released. That would be nice.

EDIT: Just double-checked, and yeah, all the prices are horribly inflated. The VIP points are fine, though, so you can tell what price they're supposed to be.

Are you sure you're checking the U.S. site and not the Australian site? The Ultimate sets cost $15.99 Australian dollars, but just $9.99 U.S. dollars. And the LEGO Shop website reflects this.

A bad guy with real motivation.

• Upvote 2

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

• 3 weeks later...

A hover horse for all the knights, and a smaller set with Axle.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

I'm thinking it would be great to get a Nexo Knights chess set! We've had chess sets for other themes like Pirates and Castle before, and Nexo Knights has plenty of "army builder" characters to choose from.

I'm thinking (just as an example):

• White king: King Halbert
  • White queen: Queen Halbert
  • White bishops: King's Soldiers
  • White knights: Brick-built (like the heads of one of the hover-horses)
  • White rooks: Nexo Power shields
  • White pawns: King's Squirebots

• Black king: Jestro
  • Black queen: Lavaria
  • Black bishops: Ash Attackers
  • Black knights: Brick-built (with similar head design to the enemy vehicles from Fortrex and Merlok's Library sets, maybe)
  • Black rooks: Evil Nexo Power shields
  • Black pawns: Scurriers
  • Upvote 4