OFFICIAL 2016 Bionicle Topic

Makaru

I need visual help for 2016 Lewa, im considering getting him but i cant find any images that can show how much elbow limitation he has. I have Lego Digital Designer installed on my laptop and can build it according to the 2016 manual for lewa i got online but LDD is not the best for testing arm poseability on his build.

So is what i ask is simple, can anyone rearrange a lewa arm in the configuration shown in my image(like the one on the right without vorox armor on) and show me how much the "elbow area piece" can move even with limitations and vorox armor reattached?

Lewa's arm posability is actually quite good, but to understand it, it's best not to think of it like other arm builds. LDD is also not good for visualization (since the Vorox armor is much more rigid in LDD than in real life and most poses involve angling his arms along multiple axes at once), so if you have any Vorox armor from G1 it can be helpful to build a physical mock-up.

In particular, the Vorox armor should not actually be facing straight to the sides in all poses. Rather, it ends up angled back (the extent of this varies depending on the pose, but it rarely faces a full 90° to the side). With the upper arms positioned as such, the lower arms can bend forward and back fairly freely, since the lowest point of the Vorox armor essentially ends up behind the joint. The lower arm shells similarly should be angled back—the crystal add-ons work best as elbow pads rather than covering the sides of his arms. This is something that surprised me when I got the set, since I had intended to rotate the lower arm shells to give his arms more motion but realized that the way the set has them built gives him some arm protection that is well-suited to his dual-sided weapons. Also, because of how his arms are built, his arms can't be raised from his sides to a vertical angle like you can on most figures—rather, you have to swing his arms forward as you raise them. Believe it or not, that's actually slightly more realistic in terms of motion—try raising your own arms with them angled straight from your sides and you'll find that it's very difficult to get them much farther than a horizontal 90° angle!

Still visual photos of how much the vorox shell clashes against my idea would be helpful, i never had any g1vorox style shells so i don't have any parts to test it with. Otherwise i was considering using alternate ccbs bones to create 90 degree bend similar to what 2015 pohatu has.

qs3135.jpg

I need visual help for 2016 Lewa, im considering getting him but i cant find any images that can show how much elbow limitation he has. I have Lego Digital Designer installed on my laptop and can build it according to the 2016 manual for lewa i got online but LDD is not the best for testing arm poseability on his build.

So is what i ask is simple, can anyone rearrange a lewa arm in the configuration shown in my image(like the one on the right without vorox armor on) and show me how much the "elbow area piece" can move even with limitations and vorox armor reattached?

Lewa's arm posability is actually quite good, but to understand it, it's best not to think of it like other arm builds. LDD is also not good for visualization (since the Vorox armor is much more rigid in LDD than in real life and most poses involve angling his arms along multiple axes at once), so if you have any Vorox armor from G1 it can be helpful to build a physical mock-up.

In particular, the Vorox armor should not actually be facing straight to the sides in all poses. Rather, it ends up angled back (the extent of this varies depending on the pose, but it rarely faces a full 90° to the side). With the upper arms positioned as such, the lower arms can bend forward and back fairly freely, since the lowest point of the Vorox armor essentially ends up behind the joint. The lower arm shells similarly should be angled back—the crystal add-ons work best as elbow pads rather than covering the sides of his arms. This is something that surprised me when I got the set, since I had intended to rotate the lower arm shells to give his arms more motion but realized that the way the set has them built gives him some arm protection that is well-suited to his dual-sided weapons. Also, because of how his arms are built, his arms can't be raised from his sides to a vertical angle like you can on most figures—rather, you have to swing his arms forward as you raise them. Believe it or not, that's actually slightly more realistic in terms of motion—try raising your own arms with them angled straight from your sides and you'll find that it's very difficult to get them much farther than a horizontal 90° angle!

Still visual photos of how much the vorox shell clashes against my idea would be helpful, i never had any g1vorox style shells so i don't have any parts to test it with. Otherwise i was considering using alternate ccbs bones to create 90 degree bend similar to what 2015 pohatu has.

Huh. I couldn't get photos because my lighting situation is currently not good. But surprisingly, when I went to check my own version... it DIDN'T clash, even when the lower arm is extended straight out and rotated a perfect 90°. And when I got one of my older Vorox arm pieces to swap it with (to see if maybe the new ones had gotten bent out of shape from colliding), that didn't clash either. I'm honestly a little surprised. My only conclusion is that the LDD version must be modeled incorrectly.

What I said about the arm posability earlier still stands when it comes to the shoulder joints—their posability is significantly different than a traditional shoulder as far as its limitations are concerned, but still allows for most realistic poses. But there's no real issue with the elbow joints.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Thing is, even at a 90 degree angle they still look very odd. The shoulders just look terrible when he's not pointing his arms downwards due to them jutting upwards as a result of the irregular shoulder connection. So yeah the articulation is generally okay but due to the way the shoulders are connected it can look very strange and awkward at times. 

Thing is, even at a 90 degree angle they still look very odd. The shoulders just look terrible when he's not pointing his arms downwards due to them jutting upwards as a result of the irregular shoulder connection. So yeah the articulation is generally okay but due to the way the shoulders are connected it can look very strange and awkward at times. 

I have to disagree. The shoulders can be made to look good in most realistic poses. They are slightly more challenging to pose than traditional arms, granted, because with regular CCBS limbs you can generally move a limb from position A to position B without having to think too much about the stages in between, whereas Lewa's arms tend to require you to rotate the arm as you reposition it for optimal poses. But I haven't had any situations with the new Lewa where an awkward pose couldn't be fixed by considering the natural movement of the arm and rotating the shoulder and elbow joints accordingly.

In other words, the entire arm looks very thin because the socket makes them jut too much outward from the body and shoulder balls

qs3135.jpg

Got Uxar today (for being so darn adorable in Journey to One) but the wing function isn't as fun as I though it'd be.  Probably because the tail lever is so big.  A little thumb trigger like on Dragon Bolt or the Nui Rama is much better for swooshing.

• Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

So I finally broke down and got Tahu Uniter today. I went to my local Lego Store to get him, since I could get double points from it. I haven't had a chance to build him yet, but I'll get around to it sometime. Hopefully. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

So I finally broke down and got Tahu Uniter today. I went to my local Lego Store to get him, since I could get double points from it. I haven't had a chance to build him yet, but I'll get around to it sometime. Hopefully. :P

You should definitely build him soon. He's got a great build, and in my opinion, is a very solid and well designed set. 

Thank you, John Ho, for such a nice set.

Hey I noticed a pattern when it comes to the little mini villains that come with the winter sets. They're always based on the faces of the summer wave villains. The skull spiders have obviously got the skeleton look, and the shadow traps have the same kind of mouth and function as this year's villains. 

It's time to move on.

Hey I noticed a pattern when it comes to the little mini villains that come with the winter sets. They're always based on the faces of the summer wave villains. The skull spiders have obviously got the skeleton look, and the shadow traps have the same kind of mouth and function as this year's villains. 

Don't you think it might be the other way around? With the summer villain motifs inspired by the small villain figures of the winter wave? That is, assuming both waves of enemies aren't designed concurrently, which is also entirely possible.

• Upvote 1

Given BIONICLE's planned run, it would make sense that all of a year's sets are conceived roughly at the same time.

Last year's theme was "skulls".  This year's theme is "jaws".

(Extrapolating from that, next year's theme will be "a tooth".)

• Upvote 7

OpAXNpl.jpg

EDIT: Whoops, didn't realize there was a topic for this. I'll repost my thoughts on Journey to One there, this is a pretty un-neccessary post now...

But hey, my general thoughts on the new villains are that they're oke. It seems like LEGO has such a hard time balancing form with function, especially (and mostly) with constraction. I dunno, they've done it before but they're always too limited with what they can do to create a sell-able product.

The most exciting things to come out of this wave were the pieces/recolors. Interested in seeing what they roles of the Beasts are gonna be in the story (or maybe not, G2 isn't that interesting to me sadly...)

Edited by Banana Gunz

I finally cracked and bought Gali Nuva at the Lego Store yesterday. The build is alright, albeit a bit simple. I love the new Mask of Water too

I can't wait for Summer 2016. I want to see what the Storm, Lava, and Quake Beasts are doing on Okoto, and where they came from. Especially considering these Beasts are evil. I can't wait to see where the Umarak Arc goes, especially with his new Destroyer form(the JtO ending was awesome)
2016 seems to be a great year for Bionicle fans, and I can't wait to see where it takes us next(with the possibilities of new islands, revealed in JtO)

• Upvote 3

I'm currently in the process of rewriting G2. PM me if interested.

Feel free to follow the blog! (https://spiritofokoto.tumblr.com/)

2016 seems to be a great year for Bionicle fans, and I can't wait to see where it takes us next(with the possibilities of new islands, revealed in JtO)

I agree, 2016 seems to be an AWESOME year for BIONICLE! :D :biorules:  To me, I think 2016 is shaping up to be the best year of BIONICLE so far! ^_^  I can't wait to see what the summer sets look like when I find them in stores! (I've avoided leaks and toyfair) ;) :)

• Upvote 2

~Daler

Okay, after seeing more of Storm Beast, I think it might actually be one of the best sets of G2? I'm actually considering getting it.

The build is cool, and the function's pretty ingenious. I also like how they added a bit more to its feet.

The things I dislike:

• the friction extender pieces, which, eh
  • the red axles, which I'm only mentioning because 2016 Gali had black ones
  • the empty sockets on the back of his hands, but that's not that bad
  • but most of all, that new piece on the upper arms. That just looks so bad. At least when it's attached to a bone piece. Even the smallest available shell in trans-light blue would've looked better.
  • Upvote 3

My brother apparently got Lewa and Uxar as well as Mask Maker vs Skull Grinder so I am excited to see those when I meet up with him again. :)

Also that comic from a few pages back is so bad. I mean I like the art, but dang that dialogue. Glad to see that some things in the LEGO mag never change. :P

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

So I got Pohatu Uniter of Stone for my namesday (something we celebrate here in Hungary) from my darling wife. 

All the yass.

IMG_1998.jpg

:kakama:

Edited by Pohaturon
  • Upvote 4

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

For those who still need to finish their collection of Toa and their respective creature, Lego S@H has Pohatu and Ketar on sale until April 10. This appears to be a U.S. only sale, but if anyone wants to check in any other regions, feel free to let everyone know!

Sweet, but I couldn't find the end date on the Lego S@H website. Where did you see that. Just asking, because I am interested in getting Pohatu and Ketar and I need to schedule on when to get him. They look cooler in their United form than they are separate. I have a feeling that I know a reason why Ketar has six limbs instead of ten (if you count the sword-arms). When United, Ketar and Pohatu form a ten-limbed being like a scorpion. Anyone noticed that?

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I'm still annoyed by the lack of new weapons in these sets. They gave us like one sword and just reused it to no end. 

That's the mark of a good part design.

Which isn't to say they couldn't have done well with a few more weapons. But frankly I'll take the innovative reuse of a single weapon piece for several different types of weapon (with a large number of recolors) over multiple weapon pieces which might never appear in sets again any day.

• Upvote 4

Bionicle is being featured on the LEGO minisite at Cartoon Network. The video is... really something.

Ah... Reminds me of the good Ol' days, the days when the Mask fo Life had been lost and the search for it, and the mission to save the Great Spirit was so greatly destined to be by the will and life of Mata Nui.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

2001 - 2016 The LEGO Group.

uA4UnmG.jpg?1

Edited by Toa Imrukii
  • Upvote 2

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

So, I was thinking about getting one of the new Uniter sets, and so which of our famed Toa friends wold you recommend getting? And I don't have a super huge budget, but hey.

Personally my favorite is Lewa. He has a really coherent look, and despite some changes from last year I still feel like he feels really true to the character. He's also got lots of creative building techniques, and probably the most elegant unity mode of any of the Toa, if you end up getting Uxar as well.

I reviewed Lewa and Gali here for New Elementary, so you can give that a read and see if that has any impact on your decision.

So, I was thinking about getting one of the new Uniter sets, and so which of our famed Toa friends wold you recommend getting? And I don't have a super huge budget, but hey.

Personally my favorite is Lewa. He has a really coherent look, and despite some changes from last year I still feel like he feels really true to the character. He's also got lots of creative building techniques, and probably the most elegant unity mode of any of the Toa, if you end up getting Uxar as well.I reviewed Lewa and Gali here for New Elementary, so you can give that a read and see if that has any impact on your decision.

Thanks! Yeah, I was thinking about getting Lewa already, so this is great!

Never use LEGO and Megabloks in the same build - Me.

Many people say Pohatu is the worst among this year's Toa - many are wrong. His color scheme is a bit of an oops, but his design is spot on and the flail weapon works perfectly with the hip-swivel. You should definitely add him to your collection!

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Bought an Umarak. I like him. He's an interesting build (waist down, at least) and his bow makes perfect sense with the function. Of course, since I'm not getting the creatures, I see no reason for the connector at the back. Hello, TLG, he's a villain, he destroys the mystic power up dragon-animals, not befriends them.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

+1 for Lewa. If not him, then Gali.

Edited by Junior Shark

If you wait until the last minute, then it only takes one minute. 

Flickr    BZPRPG