OFFICIAL 2016 Bionicle Topic

Makaru

Felt like this didn't need a thread. But out of the 2 swarm building armies do you guys and girls prefer, Skull Spiders or Shadow Traps?

Skull Spider pros and cons

Very menacing.

Can be attached to any face as a infected mask.

Have good intelligence.

Have 3 available main body colors

Cons

Their top portions makes them prone to falling over on display.

Not very customizable

Shadow Traps

Useful for mocing because of most parts

They are far more customizable

Cons

Only posess one eye by default

Not as smart (the spiders have good individual intelligence and have a hive-mind connection to the golden mask

qs3135.jpg

While I like the mask-function of the Skull Spiders and how they attach to faces to take control of them, the sheer fiddle-value of Shadow Traps make them a win for me. 

Granted, I only have the one that came with Ketar, but it satisfies my otherwise inexhaustible need to fiddle at all times in a way Skull Spiders never could.

Plus the parts that come with them are super neat.

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

the sheer fiddle-value of Shadow Traps make them a win for me.

Granted, I only have the one that came with Ketar, but it satisfies my otherwise inexhaustible need to fiddle at all times in a way Skull Spiders never could

I can say the same about the fire shadow trap i've had since i've bought Ikir. One the of the funniest things i did was clamping it to part of my dogs fur and see her trying to get it off her hairs its so fun, i also fiddle it into trying to capture my fingers with its leg claws. Edited by necross hordika

qs3135.jpg

The skull spiders didn't impress me. Can't really comment on the shadow traps since about all I've figured out about how to build one is that I'm pretty sure these paired pieces that remind me of a venus flytrap form their jaws. If anyone could describe in plain text how to build a shadow trap, I could give a better informed opinion of them.

Just so you know, I'm blinad

The skull spiders didn't impress me. Can't really comment on the shadow traps since about all I've figured out about how to build one is that I'm pretty sure these paired pieces that remind me of a venus flytrap form their jaws. If anyone could describe in plain text how to build a shadow trap, I could give a better informed opinion of them.

The "venus fly trap" parts (which I always associated with bear traps, given Umarak's hunter motif) do form the jaws, and the biggest part of the traps. They are connected together with a Technic "click hinge" in the center (called such because it "clicks" into specific angles rather than rotating freely), and then further secured together with two Technic pins, one on the front to attach the eye, and one on the back that is used to attach a chain (or propellor, for the one packaged with Akida). They also have two "legs" clipped to each side, which are built differently on all of the traps (for instance, Akida's shadow trap has "spider leg" pieces like the ones used for Umarak's antlers, while Uxar's uses thorny "vine" pieces instead).

Hope this description helps!

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Ooh, boy. It's good to be back on BZPower after all this time. It's been far too long and far too long without talking about Bionicle. Can't wait to see what Umarak does with his newfound power as the Destroyer in story. Need to get that set already! Release it Lego!

Edited by TheShadowedOne1

Ooh, boy. It's good to be back on BZPower after all this time. It's been far too long and far too long without talking about Bionicle. Can't wait to see what Umarak does with his newfound power as the Destroyer in story. Need to get that set already! Release it Lego!

Welcome back to the website!

I just watched the first episode of Journey to One yesterday. I've got to say, I'm pretty hyped as well!

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

So seeing as the release schedule for the summer wave is a tad earlier than expected, when do you suppose we'll start seeing the set reviews go up?

I mean, I'm getting Storm Beast regardless of what anyone thinks, but I'd love a detailed look at the sets I'm passing on.

note: Of course I know the answer is "when TLG sends the sets to BZP", I was just wondering what everyone's guess on that may be.

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

Well the top half of the mask doesn't quite match the bottom but I can forgive that (masks can vary in looks depending on who forged them anyways). It's certainly a cool mask and I would love to see a completed mask some time.

Edited by The Invisible Noob

Well the top half of the mask doesn't quite match the bottom but I can forgive that (masks can vary in looks depending on who forged them anyways). It's certainly a cool mask and I would love to see a completed mask some time.

Is this in response to the Mask of Time? Technically, we don't have any pictures of the bottom half of the G2 mask yet and don't know WHAT it'll look like, but odds are that it if/when it's released physically, it will be a redesign of the original Vahi. In that case, the redesign would also probably make changes to make it both visually compatible and physically connectable to the new top half.

Is this in response to the Mask of Time? Technically, we don't have any pictures of the bottom half of the G2 mask yet and don't know WHAT it'll look like, but odds are that it if/when it's released physically, it will be a redesign of the original Vahi. In that case, the redesign would also probably make changes to make it both visually compatible and physically connectable to the new top half.

I hope they do make both halves able to act as masks individually if/when they make them. It would be a little disappointing for only one piece to be an actual mask while the other just clips on to form the complete mask.

• Upvote 2

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

I hope they do make both halves able to act as masks individually if/when they make them. It would be a little disappointing for only one piece to be an actual mask while the other just clips on to form the complete mask.

It'll be interesting to see. Making them both able to attach to the head on their own might be tricky (considering the low number of connection points there), but it is possible. Perhaps they could have the "bottom half" attach to a Technic structure on the head, similarly to the jaws of this summer's Beast sets? They could do it the other way around, as well, but in that case neither half could realistically be knocked off using the eyepiece.

Then again, we don't even know what sort of figure the mask might come with, or when. For all we know there might be another head piece with more connection points by then.

Yeah I've been out of the loop for a bit and I just had to comment on a new mask of time. I'm going on the implication that the bottom half is the G1 Vahi but I may be proved wrong. I doubt it'll be made unless we get a fourth year (I'm going by the guess of one legendary mask per year)

Anyway now that I have more photos of them I must say the beast sets have grown on me.

Guys. A bit off topic but you need to check this out. Someone already has the summer wave and makes reviews of the sets on YouTube, this link leads to his review of Umarak the destroyer:

Good to see the reviews coming in. Most of his critiques are as I expected but ti's good to see the sets being built.

Guys. A bit off topic but you need to check this out. Someone already has the summer wave and makes reviews of the sets on YouTube, this link leads to his review of Umarak the destroyer:

Seeing him in set form from more angles than the images from the toy fair a few months back, plus seeing the build process have only re-affirmed my original opinions. This set is freaking awesome in every aspect except the neck, which is absolutely horrid, but not so bad as to be a deal breaker. 

Though I must say I prefer the Hunter form, due to the colour scheme and actually having weapons. 

Okay I hate to spread potential misinformation, but I overheard a very peculiar conversation in a Lego store on Tuesday.

Someone was asking an employee of the Lego store I was at about the Bionicle sets, and the employee said that sometime "soon" Lego is going to be pulling the Bionicle sets from the store and only offering them online.

Whether or not he meant that store alone, or all stores, I do not know. I probably should have asked him what he meant myself, but I didn't for whatever dumb reason.

The store is located in New York at the palisades mall, so I have no idea if this is just that one store, or this region, or whatever the heck it means, but I clearly heard him say they were specifically pulling Bionicle sets from their shelves.

Edited by sydorack

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

The same thing occurred to me when I visited two LEGO stores near my area (Toronto, Canada). I went to two of them, one said they would no longer be carrying Bionicle sets at all, the other said they were switching them to online purchase only to make room for other themes. The only sets they had were some of the 2015 sets on clearance. If it's true that they would be making room for the new summer wave of sets, then why were the Uniters/Umarak completely missing from the LEGO store I went to? Seems odd to suddenly transfer sets that literally came out months ago when last year they were still available in-store when the Skull Villains came out in August. I suppose it could be for some other reason....but it's a little disquieting to say the least. 

BIONICLE Set Viability has been strange ever since the relaunch. For example, the Toa and LoSS where on Amazon for pre-order, yet not the Protectors. Yet, I found the Protectors (and Toa) in TRU. Not all the Toa mind you, but still.

When the Skull Villains where released, they where unusually scarce for about a month or two.

Yet, the 2016 winter wave was all available at TRU, whilst LEGO Store's were scarce of them. Perhaps LEGO sees that people are mostly buying BIONICLE sets online now, instead of going to stores and buying them, esspecially LEGO Stores. You'd think that LEGO stores would be the first place to go and get them at, but thats not the case, and it's rather quite an oxymoron really, LEGO not being in LEGO Stores. But thats just a guess. Other than that I really don't know.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Huh. I was at the Calgary store a couple of weeks back and I heard there was a restructuring too. Like many of you have stated, they only had 2015 sets on clearance despite having displays for the 2016 sets. That doesn't bode too well...

On a more positive note, I finally built Mask Maker vs Skull Grinder. Really cool set - Skull Grinder is imposing but is a little too gappy, while Ekimu is all around solid. I love his hammer and the masks that come with the set are fantastic.

I also got to see my brother's Lewa and Uxar. Lewa is really cool and has fantastic original limbs, plus his colour scheme is greatly improved from 2015. The weapons are a little awkward and his shoulders aren't quite as good as Kopaka or Pohatu's but overall Lewa is a very commendable and innovative set. Uxar is amazing, a fun build and a great function. The Unity form looks great.

Finally, I picked up Kopaka and Melum. Great combo pack. Melum is a pretty simple character but Kopaka is phenomenal. The shoulder design is brilliant and looks great. His weapons are well-built, and his mask looks awesome. His stature is very heroic and looks way better than the overly bulky Kopaka of 2015. The details of these 2016 sets are astounding and really hearken back to G1's more robotic look as opposed to the previously utilized sleek "Hero Factory" look. My only issues with Kopaka are his out-of-place gold thigh armour, blue arm pieces and the use of stickers on the gun/shield. The Unity form isn't anything too special either. Shame, they almost had a perfect set in my opinion.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

The fact that he uses an ipad with the preset brushes is absolutely amazing. Also, does the music he uses in his speedpainting videos come from the journey to one soundtrack? 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I assume that it means they are pulling the 2015 Summer and 2016 Winter sets to make room for the Summer 2016 sets. Relax guys ^_^

Pretty much this. There really isn't much reason to revive the doomsaying that went around when the rumors of G2 ending prematurely began.

All is well.

• Upvote 1

I assume that it means they are pulling the 2015 Summer and 2016 Winter sets to make room for the Summer 2016 sets. Relax guys ^_^

B--But I don't even have all the Winter '16 sets yet!  :crying:

On a more serious note, I second this. No need for worries. 

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: 

For those of you who haven't yet picked up all the winter sets, I'd recommend checking your local Walmart.

I was just there yesterday and one Target had Tahu and Umarak going for $9 with Kopaka at $13.

This likely doesn't apply to all Walmarts, but I'd still recommend checking. I walked away with a second Tahu and two more Kopaka.

And even if the Lego store is pulling Bionicle from the shelves due to poor sales, that could just be the result of people going elsewhere for Bionicle.

I mean, in this era were even the technologically inept have smartphones and participate in e-Commerce, it's hard to be a brick-and-mortar store without the backing of a multi-billion dollar corporation, and if you are even remotely niche in your product offerings, good luck surviving outside of a big city. , I wouldn't be surprised if even retail giants like Wal-Mart and Toys R Us are nearing the point that online sales outstrip brick-and-mortar sales if they haven't already.

I know for a fact I've never purchased a Bionicle set anywhere but Amazon, and I'm not sure I was ever aware Lego had their own branded stores prior to joining this forum.

Just so you know, I'm blinad

For those of you who haven't yet picked up all the winter sets, I'd recommend checking your local Walmart.

I was just there yesterday and one Target had Tahu and Umarak going for $9 with Kopaka at $13.

This likely doesn't apply to all Walmarts, but I'd still recommend checking. I walked away with a second Tahu and two more Kopaka.

HOLY GADUNKA! 

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely be checking my local Walmarts.  I have two nearby. ^_^

96DIFYm.png

I may check my local Walmart as well. I've only gotten two set in the 2016 wave, and they were Umarak and Tahu Uniter. I haven't thought about getting any of the others, but if there is a sale on them somewhere I may change my mind and get a couple more.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I may check my local Walmart as well. I've only gotten two set in the 2016 wave, and they were Umarak and Tahu Uniter. I haven't thought about getting any of the others, but if there is a sale on them somewhere I may change my mind and get a couple more.

The clearance I saw only applied to Umarak, Tahu and Kopaka. None of the creatures or other Toa were on clearance. Of course, all walmarts will be different. When I checked today the last two Kopaka had sold. (Seeing as I bought the last Tahu and all Umarak were already gone.)

The clearance I saw only applied to Umarak, Tahu and Kopaka. None of the creatures or other Toa were on clearance. Of course, all walmarts will be different. When I checked today the last two Kopaka had sold. (Seeing as I bought the last Tahu and all Umarak were already gone.)

I found Pohatu (Uniter) on clearance for $7. ^_^ 

It's kinda funny tho, Guitar Ketar was still $10... XD

And sold out Bonkles? Looks like it's doing well.

96DIFYm.png