OFFICIAL 2016 Bionicle Topic

Makaru

I got Ekimu and Umarak the Destroyer today! They're the only two sets I really wanted out of this wave, and it's nice to now have them. I also got Ikir as well, if only to combine it with my Tahu Uniter and Umarak the Hunter sets. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Hi, guys! I got great news: I noticed that yesterday, there is a new update for the Bionicle: Mask of Control app game. In the update, you can play as Gali, Onua, and Kopaka, fight against Umarak the Destroyer, and there are 15 new levels. This would be a great for people who use IOS, because I have a device for it. If anyone has IOS and plays the game, go and update it.:D

• Upvote 2

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Any updates on the interview that BZPower went to Billund for? It's been eerily quiet, with no information about it at all.

As far as I know the only one who specifically said they had an "interview" was Dorek from BS01.  It'll probably take a bit to collate all the info into a presentable format, though.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Any updates on the interview that BZPower went to Billund for? It's been eerily quiet, with no information about it at all.

As far as I know the only one who specifically said they had an "interview" was Dorek from BS01.  It'll probably take a bit to collate all the info into a presentable format, though.

Nope, Black Six was there too, representing BZPower.

Nope, Black Six was there too, representing BZPower.

Ah, so there was a general interview opportunity.  The BS01 announcement presented it mainly as an interview opportunity, whereas the BZP announcement referred to the overall event.

(I knew B6 was going/went, but didn't see the part where he'd get to interview people too.)

OpAXNpl.jpg

Considering I can count the number of times I've shopped at a Target on one hand(and can probably do so without counting in binary), and can't remember the last time I bought something from Wal-Mart, I'm more inclined to think this just means people are going elsewhere for their Bionicle fix. I mean, why go out to a store where you'll have to manually search for the sets your looking for with no guarantee of finding them when you can go online and order them from Lego's Online store or Amazon from the comfort of your own home?

Just so you know, I'm blinad

Considering I can count the number of times I've shopped at a Target on one hand(and can probably do so without counting in binary), and can't remember the last time I bought something from Wal-Mart, I'm more inclined to think this just means people are going elsewhere for their Bionicle fix. I mean, why go out to a store where you'll have to manually search for the sets your looking for with no guarantee of finding them when you can go online and order them from Lego's Online store or Amazon from the comfort of your own home?

That's because kids don't have their own credit cards, and it takes a lot of nagging to get your parents to finally break and get you that bonkle fix online. We're adults, so we don't have to deal with that, but we're not the target audience and only make up a fraction of the sales needed to support the theme in any decent way. The less kids that come across bonkles in store, the less exposure bonkle has to mainstream consumers, which means that there would be an imminent collapse in potential for the theme. A theme that doesn't have potential becomes a liability, which means it becomes terminal. 

Edited by Tarvaxx

I just want to bring this in from another thread.

TL;DR - Stop worrying about Bionicle dying.

After a lot of lurking I think it is time I share my 2 cents about this issue. Now this will be a longer post so I would like to thank you for your attention if you're reading it in advance. My whole thoughts on this matter, on these possible doomsday scenarios, could more or less be expressed in one sentence:

It looks like Bionicle is currently in the same situation as oil.

Now I would like to elaborate on this opinion of mine and tell you the longer version of the story: There have been many mixed reports lately - some say Bionicle is doing well, some say it is disappearing from shelves. I made my opinion based on trusting both of these reports - the reports saying all is allright and the reports that are saying something is amiss. The disappearing of Bionicles from shelves points out that Bionicle isn't the hottest LEGO theme out there, however the reports (including reports of top officials posted by Aanchir) saying that Bionicle is “doing well”, clearly suggest that Bionicle isn't dying, so the fears of some people seem to be unfounded.

If it's not dying and also not growing, what is happening to it? It is shrinking, but it remains strong - just as oil. Now if it weren't for the oil war between Saudi Arabia and Iran, oil production would be drastically decreased by now in order to combat the dropping oil prices. But despite that, oil isn't dying, it is still a hot commodity and it ain’t going anywhere anytime soon. And the reports about Bionicle sales (both optimistic and pessimistic) seem to suggest that the same is happening to Bionicle. To me it looks like the market for Bionicle is currently smaller for the kind of production they were expecting, but still strong enough to make the line "sell well". Other themes, like Star Wars or Ninjago might be hotter than Bionicle and it makes sense to boost them if LEGO is convinced that the market might be able to handle an increase in their production.

Building new factories is a daunting issue and short term trends are not enough to warrant the profitability of building whole new production capacities so the safer way is to decrease the production of less hot lines so that the gained production capacity might be used to increase the production of the hotter line. But that doesn't mean that production of the less hot line should be abandoned. For example: Let us hypothetically assume that LEGO uses 30% of its production capacity to build Bionicles and 70% to build Star Wars sets. Let us assume that the market would be able to handle another 10% of total production capacity worth of Star wars sets, but Bionicles are in lesser demand compared to their production (let's say by 10% of total production capacity).

This means that 90% of LEGO products are being sold. In this case it makes sense to cut a third of Bionicle production to a level of 20% and increase the production of Star Wars sets to 80%. By doing this sales of the factory increase to 100%. But does this mean Bionicle is useless? Definitely not! If LEGO would cancel Bionicle and 100% of their production capacity would build Star Wars sets, their profits would actually decrease to 80%.

Now this was just a hypothetical example to better explain what I meant with "shrinking, but not dying". Small lines are just as important in maximizing profits as larger are. The sales representatives, who have voiced concerns about the future of Bionicle stocking of shops were low ranking and therefore aware of only the current trends of stocking shops in their area of jurisdiction. Beyond that, they are completely in the dark - only the top LEGO officials and owners know the global trends and business strategies. The owners of large businesses don't get successful by telling low ranking officials absolutely everything - these things work on a need to know basis.

So to put the long story short, there is nothing that would indicate that Bionicle is about to die – there is nothing that would indicate that reported decreases in stocking of Bionicles mean its death and not merely its decrease in production  :)

Edited by Logan McOwen
  • Upvote 2

@Tarvaxx: I don't know, seems to me that kids these days are more likely to come accross the latest in hot toys browsing the Internet rather than browsing their local toy store or the toy section of their local Wal-Mart. And is the average parent of the average kid in Bionicle's target age really old enough to be more comfortable shopping at a brick and mortar store over shopping online? If I had kids, I'm fairly sure I'd be buying most of their toys(assuming a distinction was made between their toys and my toys rather than just calling them the family's toys) online, and I'd probably administer their allowances via prepaid debit card.

Or maybe I'm more pro-technology than is typical for a 29-year-old and it isn't as unusual as I think for a 29-year-old to still be childless. Or Maybe bionicle's target age is older than I think it is. Two of those could easily make me underestimate the average age of the parents of Bionicle kids and coupled with the third overestimate their comfort with online shopping.

Just so you know, I'm blinad

I dunno if this is the wrong place to ask, but does anyone have a way to display the Skull Spiders/Shadow Traps? They're taking up  too much space.

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I dunno if this is the wrong place to ask, but does anyone have a way to display the Skull Spiders/Shadow Traps? They're taking up  too much space.

i built a rack of horizontally mounted sockets facing outward and clipped the skull spiders to it o:

dunno bout shadow traps, since they're bigger and lack an attachment point tho.

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I dunno if this is the wrong place to ask, but does anyone have a way to display the Skull Spiders/Shadow Traps? They're taking up too much space.

I have them taken apart. I put one of each color in a box with the toa's mask and all the others are in a sandwich bag. The feet are in a sorted parts box.

In one self containing the 2015 sets, I would either put the Skull Spiders surrounding the Toa and Protector's feet or have the Spiders grab the Lord of Skull Spiders. For the second shelf containing the 2016 sets, I would put the Shadow Traps either surrounding the Toa's and Great Elemental Creature's feet (well, I would have Akida hover hover them, too, because it doesn't have any feet and and has a stand), under the four-legged Creatures' body, or have the Shadow Traps grab Umarak the Hunter.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Where do I put my sets? I don't have any shelves built yet, so I just have them on the side of my bed where there is room.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I got to read the first chapter of Escape from the Underworld as part of an iBooks preview. The preview included a full list of chapters for the book, which I've taken a screenshot of.

That's awesome. Is the book set in the 1st half of 2016 storyline, the 2nd half of 2016 storyline, or both? Also, do you know whether the book will be available via Kindle in Europe?

I can't wait until I get to read it. I'm just reading Revenge of the Skull Spiders, which I bought via Kindle 3 weeks ago and it's awesome  :)

IhDIrLK.jpg

I need to get around to buy the European Exclusives on Ebay one of these days. The 2016 Polybag, and Ekimu's Falke (Falcon).

pure_muscle.png

0_18a6af_7e26962f_orig.jpg

???

I really want to know the story with this thing. I like it more than Doomarak
I like that it borrows traits from all 4 sets instead of just making the Destroyer even bigger.

I'm not a fan of the purple mace on his back though. The lower tail is fine but the purple one looks like an awkward second tail on his back.

It honestly seems to me like just a preliminary Photoshop concept for the combi model we actually got instructions for. Among other things, it's not clear how exactly Lava Beast's mask is supposed to be attached over top of the Mask of Control, and Quake Beast definitely doesn't have enough purple to both transplant its right arm onto Umarak's back AND cover both of Umarak's lower legs.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

It honestly seems to me like just a preliminary Photoshop concept for the combi model we actually got instructions for. Among other things, it's not clear how exactly Lava Beast's mask is supposed to be attached over top of the Mask of Control, and Quake Beast definitely doesn't have enough purple to both transplant its right arm onto Umarak's back AND cover both of Umarak's lower legs.

Hey look every body! It's Rahi-Nui!

• Upvote 1

pure_muscle.png

And it kinda just has Storm Beast's hands tacked onto the knees. :v

• Upvote 1

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

While I'm very curious at how the mask attaches and have tried a few ways myself, I do believe quake beast has enough purple spikes. I count one on each of the legs and one on the upper back-tail.

The picture isn't very clear either, the ribcage could be used on the tail as well.

I'm still looking at the mask though, IF that's Lava Beast's mask there and not some other strange part that's too blurry to make out. It seems to be missing some red.