OFFICIAL 2016 Bionicle Topic

Makaru

Lego never told us specifically why they ended Bionicle, but it was their business decision to do it. Plus, Mixels had ended in the same year as Bionicle. I guess Lego is primarily focusing on Lego play sets this year, rather than making a new constraction theme with an original story replacing Bionicle G2 (not like how Hero Factory came right after Bionicle G1 ended in 2010) or a replacement theme for Mixels (Mixels is like constraction because it is a theme of build-able figures, but with Lego System pieces). Lego's console video games are decreasing by number from 2014 to this year, too.

I would agree that Bionicle G2 had ended because of over-simplified story, over-priced sets, and bad marketing. Sad that Lego never had the G1 magic.:( (Bionicle G2 kind of reminds me of The Amazing Spider-Man movie series in 2012 and 2014. Here are the comparisons: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/23229-bionicle-g2-and-the-amazing-spider-man-movies-are-alike/ ). Lego was probably focusing more on Star Wars, Nexo Knights, Ninjago, DC Comics Supeheroes, Marvel Superheroes, and The Lego Movies nowadays.

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Really, attempting to co-opt the cancellation of a line as "proof" of that one's subjective opinions about it are factually correct is the closest we can get to literally beating a dead horse without actually literally beating a dead horse.

That said, stock is slowly clearing out here in Hungary with very few sets floating about stores, with practically none available online. We can continue to attempt to understand why G2 failed, but in the end, it's more important for Lego to know why it failed and hopefully avoid the same mistakes if G3 comes around (which I hope it does). I doubt it can be pinned on a single thing, really. The marketing wasn't exactly top-notch, but then the sets theoretically should have still sold to the random walk-ins who, in spite of not knowing anything about Bionicle, would want their parents to buy them the "cool robot thing", so it's likely true that the target audience just wasn't interested, or was more interested in other stuff.

I just hope this won't bury the franchise forever.

:kakama:

• Upvote 3

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Really, attempting to co-opt the cancellation of a line as "proof" of that one's subjective opinions about it are factually correct is the closest we can get to literally beating a dead horse without actually literally beating a dead horse.

That said, stock is slowly clearing out here in Hungary with very few sets floating about stores, with practically none available online. We can continue to attempt to understand why G2 failed, but in the end, it's more important for Lego to know why it failed and hopefully avoid the same mistakes if G3 comes around (which I hope it does). I doubt it can be pinned on a single thing, really. The marketing wasn't exactly top-notch, but then the sets theoretically should have still sold to the random walk-ins who, in spite of not knowing anything about Bionicle, would want their parents to buy them the "cool robot thing", so it's likely true that the target audience just wasn't interested, or was more interested in other stuff.

I just hope this won't bury the franchise forever.

Well, the franchise is referenced in The Lego Batman Movie and Lego Worlds this year, so probably and hopefully it won't get buried forever.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

‪It's always weird to me when people attribute Bionicle G2's cancellation to high prices… even at $10–30 per set it was WAY cheaper than thriving LEGO themes like City, Ninjago, or Friends.‬ I understand that Bionicle is a different sort of theme with a somewhat different audience, but even so, if kids are willing to pay $40–50 for an average Ninjago set but balk at a $15 price tag for an average Bionicle set, maybe price isn't the problem.

• Upvote 4

‪It's always weird to me when people attribute Bionicle G2's cancellation to high prices… even at $10–30 per set it was WAY cheaper than thriving LEGO themes like City, Ninjago, or Friends.‬ I understand that Bionicle is a different sort of theme with a somewhat different audience, but even so, if kids are willing to pay $40–50 for an average Ninjago set but balk at a $15 price tag for an average Bionicle set, maybe price isn't the problem.

I've always scratched my head at this as well. Firstly, it's like some of these people forget that inflation is a thing that exists, and ignore the piece counts when comparing to G1. On the other hand, I always found Bionicle sets to be more reasonably priced than system sets. The sole set that I found a tad expensive (in local prices mind, not the official recommended price in $) was Skull Grinder vs. Mask Maker, but nowadays that's also discounted. 

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

• 2 weeks later...

"Haha let's upvote Bfahome for a one liner response to a wall of text he didn't read!"

It's alright though. I don't need to say anything else. Rest forever here in our hearts.

"Haha, let's make a whiny post because someone joked about my ignorant griping and four whole people liked their joke!"

It's alright though. It's not your fault Lego didn't heed your marketing wisdom. Maybe if they had it would've been enough to singlehandedly save the theme.

• Upvote 8

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

G2's greatest failing was that Lego didn't go far enough with CCBS, they could have replaced Technic with it if they had the guts.

Yeah they wanted to mesh technic and CCBS together but it didn't always end well (skull scorpio). I think if they had done a better job of incorporating technic style pieces into CCBS it could have done better. Like for example instead of having leg and arm molds being a bone and armour piece they could have had one mold with lots of detail and texture and maybe some room to add an extra piece. This could have been expensive but I think if they had used more technic pieces to build say, torsos, we could have have had something that may have been more pleasing to the kids who (these days) have a lot of detail in their regular Lego sets.

It's time to move on.

It is sad to see such little faith in this community. G3 will happen. It is inevitable. Even if it takes longer, it will happen. All good IPs come back. Look at Transformers. It nearly died, until someone came in and brought new life into it. Look at the Resident Evil games...they were dropping in popularity, and then RE VII happened. Perhaps the things I'm a fan of have taught me more faith and patience than most, but that doesn't excuse us from not having faith. So what if G2 was essentially botched? That doesn't mean that G3 will be bad or that it won't happen. The problem with G2 was that, as Milla Jovovich recently said in regards to the reboot of the RE film series, "I think a lot of people with these franchises kind of put the car before the horse. There's a danger to that". LEGO put the cart before the horse, expecting it to sell well by default. Milla also went on to say "There’s some real fans in the sci-fi/action/horror world, and they’re not idiots. They can smell when something is done because people love it and when something is done just to monetize an opportunity". Bionicle G2 was likely done for the money, to be quite honest. Milla also said, "I would suggest that you find people that have that same passion for the property before you talk about reboots", which I think is honestly perfect advice for LEGO when Bionicle G3 does eventually happen. 

G2's greatest failing was that Lego didn't go far enough with CCBS, they could have replaced Technic with it if they had the guts.

Yeah they wanted to mesh technic and CCBS together but it didn't always end well (skull scorpio). I think if they had done a better job of incorporating technic style pieces into CCBS it could have done better. Like for example instead of having leg and arm molds being a bone and armour piece they could have had one mold with lots of detail and texture and maybe some room to add an extra piece. This could have been expensive but I think if they had used more technic pieces to build say, torsos, we could have have had something that may have been more pleasing to the kids who (these days) have a lot of detail in their regular Lego sets.

I was actually suggesting that Lego go all in with CCBS instead of combining CCBS and Technic. If they have another system to fall back on, then there isn't any incentive to improve the new one.

The surprise was vampires!

It is sad to see such little faith in this community. G3 will happen. It is inevitable. Even if it takes longer, it will happen. All good IPs come back. Look at Transformers. It nearly died, until someone came in and brought new life into it. Look at the Resident Evil games...they were dropping in popularity, and then RE VII happened. Perhaps the things I'm a fan of have taught me more faith and patience than most, but that doesn't excuse us from not having faith. So what if G2 was essentially botched? That doesn't mean that G3 will be bad or that it won't happen. The problem with G2 was that, as Milla Jovovich recently said in regards to the reboot of the RE film series, "I think a lot of people with these franchises kind of put the car before the horse. There's a danger to that". LEGO put the cart before the horse, expecting it to sell well by default. Milla also went on to say "There’s some real fans in the sci-fi/action/horror world, and they’re not idiots. They can smell when something is done because people love it and when something is done just to monetize an opportunity". Bionicle G2 was likely done for the money, to be quite honest. Milla also said, "I would suggest that you find people that have that same passion for the property before you talk about reboots", which I think is honestly perfect advice for LEGO when Bionicle G3 does eventually happen. 

You're forgetting how Lego have historically operated here. Hasbro stick to certain franchises and endlessly re-use the same characters. Lego on the other hand don't really focus that much on characters in most of their themes (except the big ones). When it comes to reboots bionicle was the exception to the rule. And the only way it was able to do that was by having exceptional good sales during it's life-span. However it went down in sales as the 2000s progressed until they cancelled the theme. When they brought it back the sales became out-right awful. What message will that send to Lego execs? That the new generation don't want bionicle. I don't see them trying out bionicle again until a new generation comes around (which won't be for another 20 year at least). And even then I doubt they'll do it as other themes have already surpassed bionicle's sales meaning those would be more likely to get the reboot treatment by that point. Lego don't tend to reboot things. Unless a consistent trend of direct reboots becomes a thing in the near future G3 is an IF not a when.

It's time to move on.

You're forgetting how Lego have historically operated here. Hasbro stick to certain franchises and endlessly re-use the same characters. Lego on the other hand don't really focus that much on characters in most of their themes (except the big ones). When it comes to reboots bionicle was the exception to the rule. And the only way it was able to do that was by having exceptional good sales during it's life-span. However it went down in sales as the 2000s progressed until they cancelled the theme. When they brought it back the sales became out-right awful. What message will that send to Lego execs? That the new generation don't want bionicle. I don't see them trying out bionicle again until a new generation comes around (which won't be for another 20 year at least). And even then I doubt they'll do it as other themes have already surpassed bionicle's sales meaning those would be more likely to get the reboot treatment by that point. Lego don't tend to reboot things. Unless a consistent trend of direct reboots becomes a thing in the near future G3 is an IF not a when.

I forget nothing. Interesting point you bring up though...but I have a counterpoint. Some franchises have had the issues you described. Take, for example, the Godzilla movies. Were great, declined, went away. Came back, were awful, went away quick. 2014 brings us another new Godzilla, now we have a connected franchise forming. Same with King Kong. Let's not forget the Batman movies. People thought Batman would never return to the big screen after the failure that was Batman & Robin, yet we got the Dark Knight trilogy and now we have the DCEU. So to say it's an if just isn't something that makes sense. Even if it does take 20 years this time. Don't give up hope. 

• Upvote 1

In all seriousness though, it's amazing the amount of discussion the fate of a Lego theme can produce.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

The worst part about Bionicle G2 is that it left nothing behind to discuss except its failure and cancellation. Even its rare positives were greatly overshadowed by doubt and wonder about the status of the theme. Its actual content was so sparse and uninteresting that the only things really noteworthy about the whole line were its beginning and end. All there is to debate is how and why it failed with barely a handful of incomplete facts and endlessly aimless assumptions. Critics are never experts or else they wouldn't be critics, but when something's off it can be smelled, and it's just getting tiring debating whether it's more of a fishy stench or one of rotting fruit.

• Upvote 5

To bring in a new topic.

Dose anyone here have access to talk with Legos workers of a high enough level that would know if a replacement line in in progress?

If anyone here does know anything about what the future holds, they're probably under a NDA so won't be able to say anything.

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

To bring in a new topic.

Dose anyone here have access to talk with Legos workers of a high enough level that would know if a replacement line in in progress?

If anyone here does know anything about what the future holds, they're probably under a NDA so won't be able to say anything.

I would think they could at lest give the Constraction community confirmation that there are plans for something. Just not tell them what that something is.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

"My opinion" aside, I just think it didn't do too well because Lego had some kind of indication the line would not sell well do they decided to "safe it" by canceling early. The marketing of the line was also very poor, but who can really say? it's just a business decision. I really did Like where Bionicle g2 was going in some aspects though it could have had a potentially greater 1st and second and even third year. I would have loved nothing more if they made mask packs for G2, so that we could have created our own legends as soon as the line died, or perhaps even before.

"My opinion" aside, I just think it didn't do too well because Lego had some kind of indication the line would not sell well do they decided to "safe it" by canceling early. The marketing of the line was also very poor, but who can really say? it's just a business decision. I really did Like where Bionicle g2 was going in some aspects though it could have had a potentially greater 1st and second and even third year. I would have loved nothing more if they made mask packs for G2, so that we could have created our own legends as soon as the line died, or perhaps even before.

You're not wrong that the theme was probably cancelled before it actually became a liability. Lego can look at sales data and make projections based on that, and as such it's in their best interest to cancel a theme before it actually becomes a net loss instead of afterward. That said, that's also in Bionicle's best interest. As with G1's end, you don't want to run it completely into the ground before ending the theme, because that will have a negative effect on the brand's overall reputation (among both consumers and retailers) in the long run, making it that much harder to give the theme another go in the future.

As for the question of whether anything else is in store, the last real "news" I remember was an interview with Jørgen Vig Knudstorp (then CEO of The Lego Group) last year where when asked about future plans for Lego in general, he specifically mentioned the future of the CCBS as a key area of development. Chances are Bionicle's cancellation had been decided upon by that point, though it's unclear whether his comment would be referring to the expansion into licensed themes like Star Wars, to a potential in-house successor to Bionicle G2, or both.

I wonder when Lego will roll out a new, post-CCBS constraction system. They've been winding down on CCBS going from its peak of having three concurrent themes using the system to the current setup of only Star Wars buildables using it, and with relatively few sets at that. Is it possible that the lack of other constraction themes in spite of TLG's stance of Constraction being important to their future a sign that a new system is in development? It would mean that CCBS had a shorter run than pure technic for constraction.

• Upvote 1

So on Saturday I bought Uxxar, cause the local Toys R Us still has some Bionicle sets(I live in Manchester Connecticut)

Yeah, Toys R Us has held on to a few-not even lowering the prices by all appearances. That being said, I did pick up Skull Slicer, Uniter Pohatu, and Ketar a while back myself. The only ones they had besides that were Uxar, the Lava Beast, and the Storm Beast unless I'm forgetting one. That's pretty much your only brick and mortar store location for sets, unless you buy used.

Edited by Wiriamu

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Historically, ditching a proven, established system and going all-in on a new one that's only marginally compatible has not worked out well for LEGO.

Yeah, they'd never dive into a brand new system incompatible with other LEGO bricks.

Oh wait, that was what Bionicle was. 

Edited by Wazdakka

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Historically, ditching a proven, established system and going all-in on a new one that's only marginally compatible has not worked out well for LEGO.

Yeah, they'd never dive into a brand new system incompatible with other LEGO bricks.

Oh wait, that was what Bionicle was. 

I mean, not really? Bionicle G2 mostly used the previously introduced CCBS, and G1 at its inception was only a small evolutionary step from the builds of Throwbots (which themselves were closer to standard Technic than most later constraction builds).

Which is not to say that that rules out a new system, or another evolution of CCBS. Just that generally most theme's builds are evolutionary (building off of what has come immediately before) rather than revolutionary (introducing something completely new that isn't compatible with earlier systems)).

I wonder when Lego will roll out a new, post-CCBS constraction system. They've been winding down on CCBS going from its peak of having three concurrent themes using the system to the current setup of only Star Wars buildables using it, and with relatively few sets at that. Is it possible that the lack of other constraction themes in spite of TLG's stance of Constraction being important to their future a sign that a new system is in development? It would mean that CCBS had a shorter run than pure technic for constraction.

I've started to believe that it might not be a lack of interest in BIONICLE, but in constraction as a whole that is the issue here. A few weeks ago I was at my local Walmart, and every single Star Wars CCBS set was on ridiculous clearance. I picked up a Death Trooper and a Baze Malbus for $5 a piece. While I've heard talk of worse, the most I ever saw G2 sets on clearance was for like half off. If a brand-new set is being sold for 80% off that's a really bad sign. While I get that Walmart puts sets on clearance all the time, these were only a few months old. I think that CCBS' days are numbered, but if constraction as a whole is selling this poorly I don't see it being given a replacement. If CCBS isn't clicking with kids, changing the style likely isn't going to do much. I became a BIONICLE fan towards the end of G1's run, and as a kid at the time I did not realize CCBS was its own thing. When the HF 2.0 sets came out I still saw it as "BIONICLE parts," just taking on a new form, like how G1 evolved from Technic to the Inika Build (of course I didn't know these names at the time). My point is, if CCBS is truly dying then I can't see replacing it with a somewhat different system helping save constraction.

While I do like the SW constraction sets and don't want to see the line die, it strangely gives me a sense of greater closure about G2's end. While we'll likely never know exactly why it was cancelled, if CCBS as a whole goes then it can be reasoned that BIONICLE simply came back at the wrong time, a time where kids simply don't want buildible action figures.

Creator of the BIONICLE: What Really Happened series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyBlBFul4IIMriyUFUmVdPbBFS1i107EQ

• 3 weeks later...

I believe this topic should be closed as Bionicle has been retired and it is no longer 2016. :(

No need to force its closure if discussion is still going on, especially with no need for a "2017" topic to take its place and with the potential for 2016-related news to come up (for example, discussion of discounts on remaining sets).

• 1 month later...

I think there are a good amount of reason why the reboot failed. And I think a huge one is that the short animations just seemed lazy in this day and age. The writing in them was pretty boring, for one thing. I tried watching, I was wondering how they would squeeze all that information into a bunch of three minute videos. They didn't squeeze the information into them because there was not a lot of story.

I really liked the sets. I thought so many were fun to build and imply were seriously nifty. I think the Netflix series is the kind of thing they should have went with from day one. My friend who liked Bionicle gave up on it years ago, and felt litle reason to come back. If they could have convinced a new audience, it could have went well. I am sad Bionicle had to go down like it did.

Edited by Spiffy247

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

Further proof that the utter lack of marketing was one of G2's biggest issues. The sets were all there, and story content is stuff you consume after interest has been raised. Oh, what could have been...

• Upvote 1

Further proof that the utter lack of marketing was one of G2's biggest issues. The sets were all there, and story content is stuff you consume after interest has been raised. Oh, what could have been...

I fail to see "proof" that pouring more money into marketing would have made a difference. You could just as easily claim that the graph is "proof" that they shouldn't have bothered trying to relaunch the theme at all (I'm not arguing that myself, just pointing out that search trends alone don't prove anything other than what search interest actually exists).

I fail to see "proof" that pouring more money into marketing would have made a difference. You could just as easily claim that the graph is "proof" that they shouldn't have bothered trying to relaunch the theme at all (I'm not arguing that myself, just pointing out that search trends alone don't prove anything other than what search interest actually exists).
But if Bionicle did have better marketing it would most likely have increased it's internet search chart. By how much, who knows.
  • Upvote 4

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

What the graph seems to prove was my idea that the only people this theme appealed to was more dedicated fans who grew up with the original series. If there were a decent sized number of kids involved then the number would be higher than the 2010-2014 years by quite a large margin. But as the graph showed the reboot made barely a dent in that steady decline. Simply put the kids weren't into it. What is responsible for this I doubt we'll ever get a concrete answer to. However I think bionicle G2 may well have been the first Lego theme where it was mainly bought by adults and older teenagers.

It's time to move on.

What the graph seems to prove was my idea that the only people this theme appealed to was more dedicated fans who grew up with the original series. If there were a decent sized number of kids involved then the number would be higher than the 2010-2014 years by quite a large margin. But as the graph showed the reboot made barely a dent in that steady decline. Simply put the kids weren't into it. What is responsible for this I doubt we'll ever get a concrete answer to. However I think bionicle G2 may well have been the first Lego theme where it was mainly bought by adults and older teenagers.

I think that assessment probably couldn't be farther from the truth. Sure, G2 may not have been super-popular with kids. But I have pretty much zero doubt that it was even less popular with adults. Considering that only a small fraction of Bionicle's original fandom even remained interested in the brand by 2015 instead of "growing out" of it, and it often seemed like very few of those fans seemed interested in giving the rebooted theme a chance, all in addition to "mainstream" AFOLs generally sneering at Bionicle G2 about as much as they did during its original run, I doubt older teens and adults made up more than a small portion of its audience, let alone a majority. As always, it's important to remember that the "organized" online fandom for ANY Lego theme is positively dwarfed by the number of children who buy and play with Lego without ever engaging with a larger community than their real-life circle of friends.

• Upvote 1