OFFICIAL 2016 Bionicle Topic

Makaru

It still concerns me. That along with the over-detailed torso pieces makes me unsure whether I'll buy any. Maybe onua for MoC parts. I am, however, willing to reserve judgement until I start seeing set reviews in the new year.

The new pieces are over-detailed to because people kept whining about the "lack of pistons for a year, because pistons defined everything about Bionicle, dontcha' know? Lego's trying to make it up to these people, and... they might be overcompensating.

Personally, I like the piston style pieces and am glad they are bringing them back in force. I mean, yeah, this year's Toa were great and altering them to look more like the original style would mess things up. But the torso piece's piston overload, for example, doesn't bother me at all. The fact that it's overly decaled and has almost no visible connection points, however, bugs me considerably. As a whole, however, I like the new greebled parts.

"All magic comes with a price, dearie!" -The Dark One

I'm known on the LMB's as Brickobotface, Teh Dark One is merely a fad. :P

I personally think that everyone should get a year of BIONICLE focusing on aesthetics that they like. 2015 gave fans of a sleek futuristic look what they wanted, and 2016 gave fans of a more robotic detailed look what they wanted. It's all fine. That's the way it should be. No one's aesthetic preferences should be held above or favored over another's.

Heck, maybe next we can get even more interesting and different aesthetic changes in the form of shells and add-ons. I'd be all for wavy grooved armor.

Edited by Tarvaxx
  • Upvote 6

I personally think that everyone should get a year of BIONICLE focusing on aesthetics that they like. 2015 gave fans of a sleek futuristic look what they wanted, and 2016 gave fans of a more robotic detailed look what they wanted. It's all fine. That's the way it should be. No one's aesthetic preferences should be held above or favored over another's.

Heck, maybe next we can get even more interesting and different aesthetic changes in the form of shells and add-ons. I'd be all for wavy grooved armor.

Who knows, maybe I end up liking the new look closer to the time. I'm just iffy about it now.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

It still concerns me. That along with the over-detailed torso pieces makes me unsure whether I'll buy any. Maybe onua for MoC parts. I am, however, willing to reserve judgement until I start seeing set reviews in the new year.

The new pieces are over-detailed to because people kept whining about the "lack of pistons for a year, because pistons defined everything about Bionicle, dontcha' know? Lego's trying to make it up to these people, and... they might be overcompensating.

Personally, I like the piston style pieces and am glad they are bringing them back in force. I mean, yeah, this year's Toa were great and altering them to look more like the original style would mess things up. But the torso piece's piston overload, for example, doesn't bother me at all. The fact that it's overly decaled and has almost no visible connection points, however, bugs me considerably. As a whole, however, I like the new greebled parts.

Still.... I can understand the use of most of the pistons back in the day, but twenty-one pistons on a single piece? What are they even for? Surely, they don't actually help the Toa move (storywise, I mean).

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

I like how two of the set names are anagrams of each other. I don't think they've done that before.

It actually kind of bothers me. I was literally just talking with my brother about the creatures (he's trying to figure out how they're built on LEGO Digital Designer) and he referred to Terak, but I thought he was referring to the Creature of Stone (Ketar). I'm sure I'll get used to which is which eventually, but for now it's a bit confusing for me to keep track of!

Hahaha, maybe Melum and the other creatures were created first. After designing the others they were in a rush so they just modified Melum's build a bit and used an anagram of one of the other creatures names to save time. Boom, instant Creature of Earth finished on time.

Edited by Tarvaxx

Hahaha, maybe Melum and the other creatures were created first. After designing the others they were in a rush so they just modified Melum's build a bit and used an anagram of one of the other creatures names to save time. Boom, instant Creature of Earth finished on time.

I seriously doubt it happened like that, if for no other reason than the fact that Terak's build and function are considerably more unique than Melum's. Melum's function is almost identical to Ikir's, just with arms instead of wings. Terak, on the other hand, is totally different from all five other creatures as far as his function and build are concerned.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Really disappointed to see them using the same characters back-to-back. I think I'll just buy the big sets from now on.

You mean, like the classic theme did in 2002, 2005, and 2007? The only team of protagonists in the classic theme that WEREN'T used for more than one year before being cast aside were the Glatorian.

I mean, whining about following one group of heroes for the theme's entire lifespan is one thing, but unless you expect Bionicle to follow an anthology-like format where there's a completely new story each year, I don't see how you expect the theme to replace its entire cast every single year.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I seriously doubt it happened like that, if for no other reason than the fact that Terak's build and function are considerably more unique than Melum's. Melum's function is almost identical to Ikir's, just with arms instead of wings. Terak, on the other hand, is totally different from all five other creatures as far as his function and build are concerned.

I think you're getting a bit too passionate about something that wasn't even written to be taken serious to begin with. Thus the "hahaha". :P

Also, let's be honest here. Melum and Terak aren't all that different aesthetically and silhouette wise when their little functions are taken out of the equation. Sure one might have ears, a few more claws, and longer legs, but that doesn't separate them as different creatures compared to the varied builds of the others. You could almost pass them off as the same species, just with different evolutionary adaptions. That's how similar they look.

Edited by Tarvaxx
  • Upvote 1

Also, let's be honest here. Melum and Terak aren't all that different aesthetically and silhouette wise when their little functions are taken out of the equation. Sure one might have ears, a few more claws, and longer legs, but that doesn't separate them as different creatures compared to the varied builds of the others. You could almost pass them off as the same species, just with different evolutionary adaptions. That's how similar they look.

Wouldn't two creatures with different evolutionary adaptations be different species? And wouldn't that eventuality make sense for creatures on an island? 

Wouldn't two creatures with different evolutionary adaptations be different species? And wouldn't that eventuality make sense for creatures on an island?

Astonishingly, correct on both counts. I don't think his point was about being able to explain it so much as speaking to how similar they look, and how he'd rather their designs were more different, to set them apart from each other.

I'm not too bothered by the similarities between Melum and Terak now that I know they have different functions and aren't simply clones of each other. Would I rather have more unique creatures? Perhaps, but I guess there's only so many feasible ways they could design creatures with some form of combining functionality with the Toa.

Edited by Dina Saruyama

So like a Polar Mole and a Normal Mole? (or whatever Terak and Melum are supposed to be, that is.)

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

o1pc983.jpg

Terak and Melum have:

- Almost identical heads

- Almost identical torsos

- Identical hands

- Almost identical feet

The only things separating the two are their colors, a lack of certain details (spikes, extra claws), and their functions. Personally I'd have liked to see Melum be totally different, considering how very different the other Creatures are from each other. Couple that with the fact that Melum is sold with Kopaka, and it makes for a pretty disappointing set.

I guess it helps that Terak makes me think of a mole, whereas Melum reminds me more of a bear, but that's mostly because of their functions (digging versus hugging).

• Upvote 5

IetTsFQ.png

Hmmm... that difference in function kinda goes back to what I was saying. They live in different environments, so they've evolved to move (and possibly hunt) in different ways, sorta like the way some dogs' legs "snap" together when they're running to speed up.

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

o1pc983.jpg

Terak and Melum have:

- Almost identical heads

- Almost identical torsos

- Identical hands

- Almost identical feet

... bearing in mind that all six of them have almost identical heads, Melum's torso matches Ikir's and Uxar's more than they do Terak's, and that the foot piece seems to be the one to be used for small sets nowadays.

I think a lot of the similarity comes from the fact that they're the only two mammalian creatures (assuming that Akida is in fact a fish). They have two "legs" and big paws and those are really the only similarities exclusive to the two. The sets are rather limited as to how different their construction can be due to their size.

OpAXNpl.jpg

... bearing in mind that all six of them have almost identical heads

Fair enough.

Melum's torso matches Ikir's and Uxar's more than they do Terak's, and that the foot piece seems to be the one to be used for small sets nowadays.

I think a lot of the similarity comes from the fact that they're the only two mammalian creatures (assuming that Akida is in fact a fish). They have two "legs" and big paws and those are really the only similarities exclusive to the two.

I don't mind any of the individual similarities that they share, especially those that are common among most of the Creatures, but these are the only two Creatures that have all those things in common. Ketar and Akida have unique torso designs, Ketar/Akida/Uxar and to a lesser extent Ikir have unique feet, unique wings, unique weapons...whereas all of the major aspects of Melum and Terak are the same, or very similar.

Although:

The sets are rather limited as to how different their construction can be due to their size.

Surely you don't think that...Just look at how varied all the other Creatures are.  :bored:

Melum just doesn't have anything to make him stand out from the other Creatures, except for his function. It wouldn't bother me if he wasn't bundled with Kopaka. Melum might be part of a $30 set, and he just doesn't seem worth it to me.

IetTsFQ.png

Although:

The sets are rather limited as to how different their construction can be due to their size.

Surely you don't think that...Just look at how varied all the other Creatures are.  :bored:
Variety between the creatures does not mean there are an unlimited number of designs. Several of them share torso bases, with the big difference being limb construction.

OpAXNpl.jpg

They could've just made Kopaka a mini-Muaka. :notsure:

Because this isn't Gen1 and there should be a difference between the two. Subtle throwbacks are nice, but not so many that it reaches the point where it's a carbon copy of the previous version. 

bZpOwEr

Astonishingly, correct on both counts. 

Who is correct, me or the person I quoted? 

(There is nothing to discredit evolution on Okoto yetespecially in terms of a hypothetical. :P

o1pc983.jpg

Melum is missing two fingers. 

• Upvote 2

Astonishingly, correct on both counts. 

Who is correct, me or the person I quoted? 

(There is nothing to discredit evolution on Okoto yetespecially in terms of a hypothetical. :P

o1pc983.jpg

Melum is missing two fingers. 

I think she means the answer to both of your questions was "yes".

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

I feel like if the designers had given Melum a different piece other than the same Savage Planet paw piece Terak has and pose his arms the exact same way, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Honestly, it would have been much better if they gave Melum wings made from the Chima ultra build feathers to make him look like a snowy Owl, that would've been awesome. It would also make Kopaka's Unity pose not look so ridiculous. Seriously, is he tripping over something or did he jump off a cliff thinking Melum had wings? Or maybe he just wanted to pose like Tahu.

• Upvote 1

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

I only just realised that Melum and Ketar look like Bohrok.

Having a detailed torso shell is okay, but this one doesn't look as clean as the Breakout torso or the majority of the G1 greebled/detailed pieces. Even so, it still looks pretty good.

Maybe Melum's a sloth. Doesn't make sense, buuuuut..

Rhino-bear, perhaps? Like something out of Avatar.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

huh, Tahu does look better in-the-brick like that,

still, i feel like a smoother torso-plate, (perhaps if it had the same lines n shapes the skull-guy addon does instead of all those pistons?) would have helped make him look less.... cluttered.

Amen.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

23524170106_7d452ac284_z.jpg

Let the review season begin!  :bzp:

What color are those Bohrok eyes on Tahu's feet in?

Edited by Toa Imrukii

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

A few pics of the new sets from BZP:

Let the review season begin!  

Let the review season begin!  

I'm pretty sure they're the same color as the "dark-azur" shells used for Gali Master of Water; though DeeVee may have a different answer.

I have checked the cached images bzpower found earlier and from this picture it is dark azur on his feet

http://cache.lego.com/r/dynamic/is/image/LEGO/71308_alt2?op_sharpen=0&resmode=sharp4&wid=4000&fit=constrain,1&fmt=png-alpha

Edited by ---Kopaka Nuva---

qs3135.jpg