Graphic Novel 10: What Could Have Been

aldero

I'm sure that at least 100% of us have heard about the canceled tenth graphic novel made by Papercutz, the Power of the Great Beings. It has been stated that this novel would have gone more into depth about Mata Nui's journey into the Valley of the Maze, his path to self-discovery and the assembling of the Prototype Robot before the eventual reformation of Spherus Magna. 

This cancelation was made even more tragic when all we got out of the Valley of the Maze series was a short comic included with the LEGO Club magazine which glossed over... what? Everything? There is so much that could have been explored beyond the Valley of the Maze story arc, such as the elaborated-on origins of the Baterra, the construction of the Great Spirit Robot and more on what happened after the Shattering.

So, my question is: What did you want to see in this novel?

• Upvote 2

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

It would've been nice to have more revealed about the Great Beings in the story rather than via Greg answering questions after the fact.

You lament the loss of the graphic novel, but they had originally planned two additional movies to follow the events of The Legend Reborn.  In the end, LEGO had largely lost interest in the story, and it was left to Greg to wrangle as many loose ends together as he could before time ran out.

• Upvote 1

It would've been nice to have more revealed about the Great Beings in the story rather than via Greg answering questions after the fact.

You lament the loss of the graphic novel, but they had originally planned two additional movies to follow the events of The Legend Reborn.  In the end, LEGO had largely lost interest in the story, and it was left to Greg to wrangle as many loose ends together as he could before time ran out.

The graphic novels were excellent and The Legend Reborn... is... infamous. I don't know if I really wanted to see anything about the Great Beings butchered by the films. I would frankly just want to see a pre-rendered mini-movie similar to the Barraki short, the bi-weekly Mata Nui blog narrated by Michael Dorn, a heaped helping of serials and an exclusive graphic novel. That, I don't ever want to see Berix ever again.

< -< =<o>= >- >

< -< =<o>= >- >

The graphic novels were excellent and The Legend Reborn... is... infamous. I don't know if I really wanted to see anything about the Great Beings butchered by the films. I would frankly just want to see a pre-rendered mini-movie similar to the Barraki short, the bi-weekly Mata Nui blog narrated by Michael Dorn, a heaped helping of serials and an exclusive graphic novel. That, I don't ever want to see Berix ever again.

I was more talking in terms of how much information you can fit into a movie compared to a graphic novel.  The graphic novel was already plan B and its story wouldn't have happened if the other two movies had been green-lit.

I really would've liked to have seen the Valley of the Maze in much more depth. So much unused potential.

I remember reading the comic in which Mata Nui was going through it and thought I had somehow skipped a page or something. Like, one second he went in, the other second he was in the center.

qts5y72w7qof.jpg

Edited by Kopekemaster
  • Upvote 2
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I would have loved to have seen it. I loved the Spherus and Bara Magna stuff. Futuristic ancient history and an exiled king going on a journey of self-discovery and redemption. It would have been like a old Greek myth, not to mention you have the journey to the maze and all the perils of the maze that probably would have taken a week to get through (maybe more). Oh, and the Cretans already had a hero go through a large maze (for different reasons though), so that slight mirror would have added to it.

I was so pumped after I read that news announcement on the front-page BZPower news and I actually dragged my mom out to Barnes and Nobel immediately and bought all the Papercutz graphic novels they had (Battle of Voya Nui, Realm of Fear, Legends of Bara Magna, and Fall of Atero). I know I did my part, but I was bummed out to hear that Secrets of the Great Beings (I think it was titled) was scrapped. At least I got to get those GNs though, I especially enjoyed Legends of Bara Magna.

Edited by Sir Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I would have liked more than that last comic where Mata Nui hits some Thornal Launchers and turns a corner filled with fire. I really wanted more mystery

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I would have liked more than that last comic where Mata Nui hits some Thornal Launchers and turns a corner filled with fire. I really wanted more mystery

That's the key word: mystery. There is an unbelievable amount of mystery surrounding the Great Beings that is just begging to be explored. If Mata Nui had ever stumbled across some ancient records of the Great Beings and uncovered their motives and hints of their culture, his journey of self-discovery and his development of perspective would have been made so much better. It definitely would have provided the theme with it's signature air of mystery that it admittedly lost in the later years. 

I'm picturing it right now... Mata Nui getting to the centre of the Maze and finding the blueprints of the Great Spirit Robot and the records following it's construction. Absolutely dripping with atmosphere and drenched in mystery.

Edited by Professor Turnip
  • Upvote 2

< -< =<o>= >- >

< -< =<o>= >- >