Kongu's Bad Day

Master Inika

Kongu sighed as he pushed open the door to the Chute Station Manager’s office. He entered and carefully closed the door behind him.

“You wanted to see me, sir?” he asked nervously.

Varden, the Chute Station Manager, looked up from the work on his desk. The expression behind his Kanohi Huna was not a pleased one.

“Hello, Kongu,” he said plainly. “I’ll keep this brief; there’s not much to say. It’s come to my attention that, a few hours ago, you intentionally reversed the flow on Chute 851.”

“Sir, I can explain. It wasn’t my fault,” Kongu insisted. “It was these two monsters who broke into the station! They forced me to do it. One of them looked like a giant green spider with crab claws, and the other was blue and white, and really big!”

Varden nodded, unimpressed, before adjusting his mask and replying, “Kongu, I’ve been in the chute management business since the Kanohi Dragon attacked. I can smell a made-up excuse a kio away.”

“But sir, I’m serious!” Kongu exclaimed, frustrated.

“Kongu, you know the rules,” Varden said sadly. “You reverse the flow, you’re not a worker at this station anymore. Nothing I can do to change that.”

Kongu was speechless. He didn’t think he’d lose his job over this! “But sir…” he began, wracking his mind for a better way of wording it.

“Look, I know you’re a good worker, so I won’t tell the Vahki,” Varden continued, “but I just can’t keep someone who disobeys protocol like that. Sorry.”

Dejected, Kongu returned to his office and gathered his few personal items. He quickly made his way down to ground level and walked out, unsure of where his life would go from there.

“This day can’t get any worse!” he said to himself as he passed a telescreen. He realized it was playing something, stopped walking, and turned to watch. To his surprise, Turaga Dume himself was making a public address.

“Matoran of Metru Nui, it is required that you gather at the Coliseum,” the Turaga of Fire said in a stately, unemotional voice. “Rejoice, for today will be a momentous climax to your history…”

• Upvote 5

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Nice job, Master Inika! I think I remember just enough of the Metru Nui storyline to get this. :P This is a nice, original spin. I like how we don't really know what the punch line is going to be until the very end!