Why was the mask of time created?

Something I have been wondering about.So first off it was designed early in Bionicle and was first almost randomly put into the 2003 storyline.For continuity,Vakama forged the mask on Dume's prompting,even after the reveal he was actually Teridax.In both years,the masks were used,but weren't really helpful at all.Why decide in the first place to create a mask no one can use well that poses a safety hazard for the world if it were harmed?Any thoughts?

1. Because the Vahi didn't exist yet, no one knew exactly how powerful it was. None had ever existed before Vakama made it, so there was nothing to measure it's power up to.

2. Vakama didn't know what breaking it would do until after it was created. It was from a small crack that leaked time energy that Vakama learned what would happen if the whole mask were to break.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

"Hey, y'know how we've got masks that can control fire and probability and levitation and stuff?"

"Yeah, what of it?"

"What if we made one that could control time?"

"Dude, that sounds dangerous. Trying to harness a concept so vital to the working of our world, I mean, imagine if we were inside a giant robot; it'd be like screwing with someone's spleen. And how would you even control something so powerful?"

"But we could control time."

"Touché."

Edited by Ta-metru_defender
  • Upvote 4

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

Good point. It was never really explained in the story why Artahka made the Six Great Disks with the intention of some cross-wired freak crafting it into one of the three Legendary Masks. I guess it would be reasonable to assume that the Vahi was made for the purpose of power rather than a last resort essential to the survival of the Great Spirit similar to the Ignika.

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

Well Teridax initially asked Vakama to craft the mask because he wanted to use the mask to speed up the brainwashing process of the Matoran (and possibly even to speed up Mata Nui's death).  I don't think he actually expected Vakama to take it from him and threaten to destroy it.

Really the Vahi was an ancillary part of his plan.  While he had the Toa Metru go on a wild goose chase, why not have them try to gather the components of something that would be useful to him later on?

• Upvote 3

Good point. It was never really explained in the story why Artahka made the Six Great Disks with the intention of some cross-wired freak crafting it into one of the three Legendary Masks. I guess it would be reasonable to assume that the Vahi was made for the purpose of power rather than a last resort essential to the survival of the Great Spirit similar to the Ignika.

Speaking of cross-wired freaks, why did Vakama even have those visions? 

Probably wasn't Mata Nui giving them to him as he was too busy looking at pretty things in space, and could have easily intervened with Makooti's shenanigans himself if that wasn't the case.

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif