Could MU Inhabitants understand romance?

Alyska

Okay, so it's been firmly established that beings in the Matoran Universe had no concept of romance. Greg Farshtey's reasoning for this was that the concept of romance emerged in our world as an extension of our reproductive needs and desires. With no biological reproduction, there was no reason for the MU to have this construct.

So, if we take the view that romance is indeed a social construct- and one that was present on Spherus Magna- what happens when beings from the Matoran Universe are introduced to this foreign cultural concept? I can imagine reactions varying from "These Romans Agori are crazy!" to "What a lovely expression of Unity!" to "Help! Help! There's two Glatorian over there trying to kill each other by sucking out each other's brains through the mouth!" to "This is the worst place to be wearing a Mask of Telepathy!". Some might even try to adopt the concept themselves, but they'd probably still be very confused and might get a few things wrong.

The idea came about from thinking about the Gems from Steven Universe. Like Matoran, the Gems come from an alien race that does not reproduce biologically. As such, they don't appear to have a sexuality in the conventional sense, and gems that live on their home planet seemingly have no cultural concept of romantic love (though they do obviously have emotions and are capable of caring about others). However, after living on Earth and discovering human cultures, some gems formed strong relationships with each other, or even with humans, that they define as romantic. The idea of that happening in Bionicle seems unlikely, but at the same time, it doesn't seem to violate the established "rules" either.

So, what do you think? Personally, I'd think the misunderstandings and confusion would be the most common reaction, but it's a fun concept to think about either way.

• Upvote 2

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Your second-to-last paragraph reminded me of human-troll romance in Homestuck for some reason. Onto the real question, though...

I'd say yes. MU inhabitants aren't unfeeling, emotionless robots, so I think they could adapt what they do know of emotions and non-romantic love and apply it to what they see in the Agori. Not to say they'd necessarily start feeling those emotions - there's still no reason for them to - but they could probably understand and appreciate them.

• Upvote 2
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Perhaps they weren't really programmed to be that affectionate. The Great Beings would inevitably program a sense of altruism into the inhabitants of the Matoran Universe, but having them really love each other and making them inseparable wouldn't be good from an employer's standpoint. The inhabitants would know how to care for each other, but at the end of the day, they have to maintain the upkeep for the Great Spirit Robot.

That's probably why beings outside of the Matoran Universe like the Glatorian and Agori are capable of perceiving love in the aforementioned format. They don't have to be one of the billions of janitors inside the Robot; they can just live their lives.

As for the Hewkii x Macku (Hewku? Mackii?) issue, that would probably happen as a result of not working inside of the Robot for a thousand years. Their whole thought process and set of emotions would probably change dramatically.

Edited by Professor Turnip
  • Upvote 2

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

As for the Hewkii x Macku (Hewku? Mackii?) issue, that would probably happen as a result of not working inside of the Robot for a thousand years. Their whole thought process and set of emotions would probably change dramatically.

That is the best explanation for that. ever. Two mundane robot/cyborgs stop doing their job for a thousand years, and begin to branch out emotionally into this super-platonic romance that never gets physically beyond holding hands and clunking their masks together...

WALL-Eposter.jpg

Wait a minute... 

p.s. (that could explain why the flirting between Jaller and Hahli ended when they became Toa, they got back to their programmed job!)

p.s.s. (why did the Matoran have different genders anyway? Did the Great Beings just decide that certain elements where better controlled by one gender over the other? Certainly wasn't an issue for the Agori or the Av-Matoran; or even the Gen 2 villagers to have both genders in the same elemental groups.)

Edited by Xboxtravis
  • Upvote 5

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Beyond awesome impromptu dance numbers when the residents of Bara Magna tell them of this thing they call love, I figure romance could develop as a sort of bug.

Whatever.

Huki X Maku 5ever.

Edited by Ta-metru_defender
  • Upvote 5

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

It's beyond their comprehension. They will never understand it. 

:P

(The real answer is yes, they could comprehend it on some sort of intellectual level. Whether they will actually embrace it as a culture or just categorize it as "something those Agori/Glatorian do" remains to be imagined.)

I'm of the opinion that the matoran could 'get' romance, even to the point of adopting Agori terms of endearment and behaviour (less kissing, more cuddling). I doubt the fresh out of the MU matoran would fully understand it though. Perhaps if Hewkii and Macku ask for a new matoran 'child', and mimic a family structure.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

But Hewki and Macku now have a big height difference... unless he becomes a Turaga and that's just plain out wrong. (Or she could become a Toa, but that wouldn't be nearly as funny...). If were going to start shipping Turaga here, then we might as well start viewing Nokama and Matau as that cute old couple in Up... (or maybe Nokama ends up with Vakama, but Matau was the only one making an effort at it, I figure in this is odd fanon world they would end up together)

Maybe Matoran will adopt Agori kids... Or if they ever return to a Metru-Nui level tech, the Matoran might invent a way to manufacture more Matoran so Matoran couples could adopt? 

Or maybe Matoran don't need parenting, they just hatch them in the factory and throw them out to sea hoping they manage to swim back someday. The best swimmers we send to Metru-Nui, and the worst we send down south for "repairs"...

So many possibilities...

• Upvote 1

I can see that happening. Look at what happened with Kiina and Mata Nui. She undoubtedly had feelings for him. But when she tried to express it in Journey's End, he was just kinda like, "Okay, sure. Whatever." The guy was completely clueless.

@The Suletu thing, that could get pretty awkward. Strolling through town one night, pass an Agori home, and pick up on some weird sensations and thoughts from behind locked doors... Leaving this idea alone now...

That is the best explanation for that. ever. Two mundane robot/cyborgs stop doing their job for a thousand years, and begin to branch out emotionally into this super-platonic romance that never gets physically beyond holding hands and clunking their masks together...

That explains so much.... Give that man a medal! Or a cookie, or whatever. :P

p.s. (that could explain why the flirting between Jaller and Hahli ended when they became Toa, they got back to their programmed job!)

p.s.s. (why did the Matoran have different genders anyway? Did the Great Beings just decide that certain elements where better controlled by one gender over the other? Certainly wasn't an issue for the Agori or the Av-Matoran; or even the Gen 2 villagers to have both genders in the same elemental groups.)

Another very good point... Plus, they'd already been back to Metru Nui as Matoran, and once they all got to work, that might have started to reset them. Becoming Toa could have finalized that.

As to the second point, I suspect it's because they wanted some variety. They were familiar with society as being comprised of more than one gender, so we get two genders of Matoran. Like how in Star Wars, droids can have either masculine or feminine programming. As for dividing them up by element, though... Who knows?

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

WALL-Eposter.jpg

Wait a minute... 

They had different genders because the GBs wanted them to, why they made so few females is easily explained by the GBs being sexist or soemthing, IDK.

But Hewki and Macku now have a big height difference... unless he becomes a Turaga and that's just plain out wrong. (Or she could become a Toa, but that wouldn't be nearly as funny...). If were going to start shipping Turaga here, then we might as well start viewing Nokama and Matau as that cute old couple in Up... (or maybe Nokama ends up with Vakama, but Matau was the only one making an effort at it, I figure in this is odd fanon world they would end up together)

Maybe Matoran will adopt Agori kids... Or if they ever return to a Metru-Nui level tech, the Matoran might invent a way to manufacture more Matoran so Matoran couples could adopt? 

Or maybe Matoran don't need parenting, they just hatch them in the factory and throw them out to sea hoping they manage to swim back someday. The best swimmers we send to Metru-Nui, and the worst we send down south for "repairs"...

So many possibilities...

IDK, I headcanon that the chronicler's company became a Toa team elsewhere in the universe whilst the canon was following around the Inika/Mahri.

Also, perhaps they could rebuild the Matoran factories, and when one comes out, a Matoran couple could pick them out as their child.

That, or whatever happened in Robots comes into play.

I like the first one better.

Aw, but if Hahli and Jaller reset, then Hewkii probably did too, and Macku may or may not have done so as well... (sniff)

Okay, but imagine if they just had a super-close platonic relationship that could become romantic, but they literally had no concept of what a romantic relationship was. Imagine someone trying to explain it to one of them.

Hewkii: And so you're only supposed to have this relationship with one special person?

Gelu: At any given time, yeah.

Hewkii: Why just the one?

Gelu: It's just easier that way. Less complicated. Jealousy gets in the way otherwise.

Hewkii: Wouldn't people get more jealous, though? Like, if Jaller got married to Takanuva, I think Hahli would be jealous.

Gelu: I'm not sure that Jaller and Takanuva would... well, you never know, they might, but it's not as simple as being best friends with someone. It's a special connection, someone you couldn't bear to live without-

Hewkii: Oh, like me and my friend Macku! 

Gelu: ...Isn't she a completely different species to you?

Hewkii: Nah, most of us Toa start out life as Matoran, but then at some point we just ... get bigger and gain awesome powers and stuff, you know? Same species, just different size and capabilities and stuff.

Gelu: Wait, wait... so you're an adult... and Macku's a... a child? Hewkii, you can't-

Hewkii: No, we're about the same age... I think. Well, I dunno, I guess children are kinda like Matoran, only they're not as smart, they don't do any work, they cry all the time and they smell funny. So, basically, not that much like Matoran at all- hey, where are you going?

Macku and Hewkii being a thing on Spherus Magna would be amazing and SO awkward.

Agori and Glatorian kids probably take forever to grow, though. Remember Gresh is barely an adult, and he's older than everything in the MU. Though coincidentally, I had a stupid fanfic idea today about Lewa finding a lost baby Agori while wandering through Bota Magna and, after establishing that the organic squidgy thing isn't going to jump onto his face and take over his mind, deciding to help it. All the while knowing literally nothing about Agori or babies, and having to fight off giant laser dinosaurs at the same time. Ah, if only I could write treespeak at all. (Somebody steal this, please.)

Matau is the most romantically frustrated character in all of Bionicle (well, maybe next to Vhisola- that Nokama's such a heartbreaker). I think he'd try something, Nokama would turn him down by feigning complete obliviousness, he'd sulk for a little bit and then eventually just amuse himself by learning rude Agori jokes and becoming like everybody's naughty old uncle at parties.

I can see that happening. Look at what happened with Kiina and Mata Nui. She undoubtedly had feelings for him. But when she tried to express it in Journey's End, he was just kinda like, "Okay, sure. Whatever." The guy was completely clueless.

Interestingly, Greg hinted that Mata Nui actually was possibly capable of romantic feelings, which is a whole other can of worms. It implies that Mata Nui might have been somebody else before he was a giant robot, or that the Great Beings deliberately gave their giant robot the potential to fall in love. Maybe they were hoping that the two giant robots would just elope off to the other side of the galaxy together once they'd fixed the planet so that they wouldn't hang around and make a nuisance of themselves.

• Upvote 4

I think he'd try something, Nokama would turn him down by feigning complete obliviousness, he'd sulk for a little bit and then eventually just amuse himself by learning rude Agori jokes and becoming like everybody's naughty old uncle at parties.

Bwhahahaha... Crazy Old Uncle Matau!

• Upvote 2

With the following post, I tried my best to make it palatable to all people, but some things cannot be secularized, so I am sorry about that.

With sentience, there comes a feeling of emptiness for all our understanding of the world around us. Sentience is the recognition of both order and chaos from that which is empirically observed and experienced, created with order in mind but can derail into chaos and, often on the rails in a constant teeter-totter back and forth between the two; the ability to see the world as it truly is rather than always thinking about basic survival (and from this there are levels of semi-sentient to full sentient). From One we were created, but in this life we cannot interact with that first One, so we attempt to fill in the gap we have in our lives in this universe with other things, mostly people. This longing for companionship is created out of a longing for that first one, but develops into something distinct that we created beings call 'love'. Love is pure at it's core but is sometimes twisted to fit people's desires, but that's straying off the topic a bit.

The people of the Matoran Universe are sentient, but as the beings who hail from that realm were not created in nature (though designed to have sentience by the fickle powers of Destiny), they could become confused with thoughts that they cannot support or fully understand; heck, even we real life children of the first One become confused as to it's ultimate nature. They can in spirit, often translated as brotherhoods or partnerships, but they lack the full capacity to become one and carry on into the succeeding generations. They are alien to it, confused by the Spherus Magnan ways of holding hands, long hugs, or 'censored rituals', having ignorance in that. The closest thing I can see in Bionicle is Hewkii and Maku from 2002, how they got close to one another and attempted at simple things they did not fully understand and could possibly never understand, the futile experiment ending in a rude awakening with their friends saying, "Err, what'chya guys doing there? Looks weird...". For the people of the MU, it is the trust and bond of family and friendship that binds people, that is how love manifests itself in that world, and anything more is the futile attempt of adapting human experience to Bionicle by fans.

Do not pity them, it's just how they are. And as someone else pointed out above, some of them might learn about the anatomy and social standards and patterns of their adopted planet and learn to say witty or innappropriate things they do not and cannot understand.

Matoran says something he know will make a group agori laugh, another matoran approaches the comic and says,
"I don't get it, what was so funny about that?"
"I don't get it myself, but they find it funny for some reason and their confusing laughter it makes me laugh! I love this job, I love this planet! People here are so weird it's funny!"
Two laugh at their ignorance and also a bit at the agori as well.

First, the agori are natural and not artificially created, so they are like humans in that respect. The Av-Matoran are the first matoran type created so the Great Beings based them after the agori more by mixing the gender balance evenly.

When it comes tot he rest of the matoran, however, the Great Beings are kind of sexist, thinking certain elements and powers, and attributes related to them, to be gender exclusive. One of many reasons why I called the Great Beings 'Robed Fools' in that haiku topic.

Edited by Sir Iaredios
  • Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Given that the Matoran aren't even supposed to have personalities in the first place (and therefore no friendships at all), I would expect them to be able to comprehend romance even if they did not experience it themselves. That's what you get with wacky fictional AI.

And I don't think Mata Nui should be used as the standard of MU socialization, considering that one of his greatest problems was that he didn't interact with the MU as often as he should have.

Edited by Lon'qu
  • Upvote 1
How well will you die?

With the following post, I tried my best to make it palatable to all people, but some things cannot be secularized, so I am sorry about that.

With sentience, there comes a feeling of emptiness for all our understanding of the world around us. Sentience is the recognition of both order and chaos from that which is empirically observed and experienced, created with order in mind but can derail into chaos and, often on the rails in a constant teeter-totter back and forth between the two; the ability to see the world as it truly is rather than always thinking about basic survival (and from this there are levels of semi-sentient to full sentient). From One we were created, but in this life we cannot interact with that first One, so we attempt to fill in the gap we have in our lives in this universe with other things, mostly people. This longing for companionship is created out of a longing for that first one, but develops into something distinct that we created beings call 'love'. Love is pure at it's core but is sometimes twisted to fit people's desires, but that's straying off the topic a bit.

The people of the Matoran Universe are sentient, but as the beings who hail from that realm were not created in nature (though designed to have sentience by the fickle powers of Destiny), they could become confused with thoughts that they cannot support or fully understand; heck, even we real life children of the first One become confused as to it's ultimate nature. They can in spirit, often translated as brotherhoods or partnerships, but they lack the full capacity to become one and carry on into the succeeding generations. They are alien to it, confused by the Spherus Magnan ways of holding hands, long hugs, or 'censored rituals', having ignorance in that. The closest thing I can see in Bionicle is Hewkii and Maku from 2002, how they got close to one another and attempted at simple things they did not fully understand and could possibly never understand, the futile experiment ending in a rude awakening with their friends saying, "Err, what'chya guys doing there? Looks weird...". For the people of the MU, it is the trust and bond of family and friendship that binds people, that is how love manifests itself in that world, and anything more is the futile attempt of adapting human experience to Bionicle by fans.

Do not pity them, it's just how they are. And as someone else pointed out above, some of them might learn about the anatomy and social standards and patterns of their adopted planet and learn to say witty or innappropriate things they do not and cannot understand.

Matoran says something he know will make a group agori laugh, another matoran approaches the comic and says,

"I don't get it, what was so funny about that?"

"I don't get it myself, but they find it funny for some reason and their confusing laughter it makes me laugh! I love this job, I love this planet! People here are so weird it's funny!"

Two laugh at their ignorance and also a bit at the agori as well.

First, the agori are natural and not artificially created, so they are like humans in that respect. The Av-Matoran are the first matoran type created so the Great Beings based them after the agori more by mixing the gender balance evenly.

When it comes tot he rest of the matoran, however, the Great Beings are kind of sexist, thinking certain elements and powers, and attributes related to them, to be gender exclusive. One of many reasons why I called the Great Beings 'Robed Fools' in that haiku topic.

An interesting interpretation of love (I'd say platonic, or in any case related in some way to platonic philosophy, though I may be mistaken). The one I prefer, though, is somewhat different and more materialistic, not to mention more similar to the reason GregF gave for MU natives not being able to feel love.

The way I see it, the origins of love lie in the tendency to reproduce which is typical of all living creatures.

These primordial instincts, however, experience radical changes as some forms of life evolve towards sentience. These beings gradually become more skilled and efficient at devising strategies to ensure their survival; thus the first forms of society, which are supposed to help their members survive and prosper through mutual cooperation rather than conflict (though the latter is never absent and could be identified as the cause of the distortions and degenerations which eventually all these "ideal" societies experience), are born and become more complex as their members approach sentience.

This is a result of the tendency of sentient beings to try to impose order and rationality (which is linked to complexity) upon what surrounds them (for instance by seeking rational explanations to natural phenomena or by building ordered societies), since what is ordered can be understood and controlled, something which is vital for survival. The attempt to lead everything back to an hypothetical, initial "Oneness" is in my opinion a particularly extreme expression of this tendency.

Having made these general considerations, we can now apply them to the concept of love. Originating, as I've said before, from reproductive instincts, love evolves into a far deeper concept, as sentient beings attempt to rationalize and codify it, thus making it more complex. However, the original, instinctive, emotional component always plays an important and often dominant role and thus is viewed as essential.

Now, Spherus Magna inhabitants possess this component, since they presumably followed an evolutionary path similar to our own and thus carry with them the traces of their more primitive past. MU natives have a very different origin. Being robots, they can be seen as a product of the tendency to order which must be particularly strong within the Great Beings, given their incredible intellect. They're thus closer, not more distant, from the Oneness I mentioned before; too close, in fact, to truly possess what we call sentience, which is characterized by a more or less equal balance of order and chaos, rationality and emotion. However, a series of "glitches" in this apparently perfect order (either spontaneous or introduced by Velika) resulted in the MU inhabitants developing independent thought and emotions and thus sentience. The process, however, did not gift them with at least some of the instincts the Spherus Magna natives have, such as those related to reproduction and thus love.

That said, I wouldn't exclude that, in the future, this process, which has already allowed the MU natives to develop a variety of emotions and which, as someone pointed out earlier, seems to accelerate when the MU inhabitants are not carrying out the tasks they were assigned by Mata Nui (and thus grow more distant from the perfect order I was speaking about before), may continue and eventually allow the MU natives to experience something very similar, if not identical, to love.

One last thing, which is not strictly related to what we've been discussing. You must take into consideration that, unlike us, Matoran, Agori and virtually all the other species we've seen live for tens of thousands of years. This is something I've always disliked about BIONICLE, since these timescales are so enormous that it seems impossible that the everyday behavior of all these beings so closely resembles that of humans, which usually live less than a century. Still, it might be worth wondering whether these colossal lifespans have consequences on the emotional mechanisms of the beings we've seen within the storyline and whether these mechanisms are, after all, so similar to ours.

• Upvote 1

632461607_Bannerdefinitivopiccolo.png.8e4bc632ba965c6eaef9247ce71df1d7.png
My collection of epics: The Sanctum of Writing

- - - - - Snipsteroni - - - - -

One last thing, which is not strictly related to what we've been discussing. You must take into consideration that, unlike us, Matoran, Agori and virtually all the other species we've seen live for tens of thousands of years. This is something I've always disliked about BIONICLE, since these timescales are so enormous that it seems impossible that the everyday behavior of all these beings so closely resembles that of humans, which usually live less than a century. Still, it might be worth wondering whether these colossal lifespans have consequences on the emotional mechanisms of the beings we've seen within the storyline and whether these mechanisms are, after all, so similar to ours.

The main difference between our two theories is that mine is influenced by 'intellectual causation' (as John Lennox puts it) while yours is 'macro-evolutionary' (as Hugh Ross puts it), thus some of the principals differ. You take your food tray, and I'll take mine.

Not much you can do concerning the lifespans of MU natives, but concerning the SM natives that bit always bothered me, which is why my friend just above me, and a group and I have been ignoring that and constructing more flushed out history for Spherus Magna. Here.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

Yeah, SM lifespans are absurd. Tren Krom, Artahka and Helryx would be barely teenagers in Glatorian years. Very few people would want kids there if it meant 10 000 years of dirty nappies. Makes me wonder if they have some sort of communal child-rearing thing going on- if two or three Agori families happen to have young children, perhaps they'll have one family look after all three kids for a few years, then pass them onto the next household to let the parents have their own life for a bit- though they probably still visit the kids regularly. Maybe there's a bit of financial compensation involved. Maybe that's why Gresh, despite being quite young, never mentioned his own parents- it's not that they're unimportant or dead, it's just that they're not the only two most important people in his life. (Though there is my other sorta-headcanon that one or both of them was on Bota Magna).

...I kinda wish the details of Agori society had been fleshed out a little more. We really didn't see much on their culture at all.

• Upvote 2

In a sense of LITERALLY understanding it, probably, regardless of how they were "programmed". Even though it's a concept they don't really need to know, they could in theory understand the idea and reasoning. To them, it might only make sense in a theoretical way.

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

Y'know on the topic of Sperus Magna Natives (Agori and Glatorian) how long do they tend to live? Relistically I'd see them living a max of 100 year at most.

Anyhow, since MU inhabitance are able to adapt, than yes, not only can they understand love and romance, but also feel it for themeselves, it's not like if you were to explain what sight to someone who for has been blind for their whole lives in such fine detail as that they understand it comepletely but will never experience it for themeselves, but rather that they learn from what they see and hear, much like that of a young child, and start to adapt such characteristics to themselves, and thus adopt them as there own characters too eventually.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I had the theory that the glatorian/agori were just the second-last version of semi-organic robots made by the GBs befoee they went extinct. Not sure how that theory would gel with the concept of Agori childhood.

If the robot is advanced enough to mimic human emotions so.convincingly that it could fool real.humans, how could we tell if it didn't feel them?

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

But Hewki and Macku now have a big height difference... unless he becomes a Turaga and that's just plain out wrong. (Or she could become a Toa, but that wouldn't be nearly as funny...).

I wouldn't overthink the height difference. Height ≠ age. Even in real life, a person with dwarfism and a person without dwarfism can fall in love, no problem.

From a serious standpoint, I think that Matoran and Toa could understand romance just fine if exposed to it. They might even learn to experience it themselves through random happenstance even if the Agori WEREN'T introduced into the equation. I mean, they weren't meant to develop entire cultures and they managed that anyhow. "Intent and outcome are rarely coincident."

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

To be honest, I doubt that the MU inhabitants would be able to understand Romance languages. 

I disagree, MU inhabitants are able to adapt to new languages too, so they certainly would be able to learn, understand, and speak said languages of Europe.

Edited by Toa Imrukii
  • Upvote 2

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

To be honest, I doubt that the MU inhabitants would be able to understand Romance languages. 

Joke received, understood, and absorbed deep into the depths of my heart, where it tickled forth 'til I spat blood and farted.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

¿Qué dices che? Hay español y frances sobre los cajas de Lego, por supuesto ellos pueden hablar estos idiomas. ¡Los matoran son muy intelegente! Tambien los nuevo Toa son maestros, ellos pueden enseñar a los Matoran.

If you can get the joke, props to you :)

Hint: (Master and Teacher are the same word in Spanish, so you can guess how the new Toa Masters were translated...)

EDIT: Just read that there is a rule not to post to much in a foreign language without the message being obvious, so here is a full translation of the above: "What do you say man? There is Spanish and French on Lego boxes, of course the Matoran can speak those languages. Matoran are very intlegent! Also the new Toa are 'teachers', they can teach the Matoran!"

Edited by Xboxtravis
  • Upvote 1

(Master and Teacher are the same word in Spanish, so you can guess how the new Toa Masters were translated...)

Nokama in G1 was a teacher-Toa before the Masters.

• Upvote 1

Can matoran understand romance? Yes, and since they're hanging out with the Agori, they're going to be learning it and seeing it unfold before their eyes.

Will they get romantic feelings? No, because Greg is an absolute jerk who destroyed the Bionicle story with all his canonizations and made Vezon one of the most hated characters.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

They already form very close bonds with each other, so yes, they would understand the concept. They wouldn't have hormones or anything to actually cause romantic attraction, but they would definitely be able to comprehend how the Agori feel after a few lessons in the reproduction of organics. In fact, given enough time, they could probably develop romantic relationships of their own, though they would obviously not partake in certain acts.

• Upvote 2

aouROFb.png

• 4 months later...

Honestly, like everyone else, it is perfectly plausible that the Matoran would develop romantic feelings for each other after prolonged exposure to the Agori culture. Sure at first, if their new Agori friend starts talking about old flings he had when he was younger, they'd be like, "What the heck is he talking about?" But give it time, they'd figure it out. The Matoran are a very adaptable species. All they were meant to do was be the maintenece crew of The GSR, and nothing more, but after a few thousand years or so, we get Metru Nui. And before Greg (curses) decanonized HewkiixMacku (I ship it all the way) love was seen as something completely normal. So yeah, I believe that the Matoran population could develop romantic feelings for each other, if you give it time.

(Great. Now I'm gonna start writing a HewkiixMacku fanfic. Darn it.)

• Upvote 1

Never use LEGO and Megabloks in the same build - Me.