what was the best bionicle movie and why

bohrokman

I'd say MoL, you really got to find out a lot about Jaller and Takua, and their relationship to one another, as well as their relationships with other characters. Even the Toa, who served minor roles, were fairly well fleshed out throughout the film, Jaller's sacrifice was meaningful, and an important event in the film, and his last words, "You were always different," though few and simple they may have been, are near unforgettable. I don't think I can say the same for the rest of the trilogy. And I assuredly cant for TLR.

• Upvote 2

Legends of Metru Nui. I'm tempted to say Mask of Light out of nostalgia, but it is a rather basic hero's journey. Plus, it has two resurrections in two minutes. Web of Shadows felt like it had a much smaller scope. MoL, LoMN, and even TLR all had a variety of locations, while WoS was just the web-covered ruins of Metru Nui.

A new reason that made me realize LoMN was better was because of Makuta's plot. In all three other movies, the bad guy is trying to get the special object of power, take over the world, or both. It's a little generic. LoMN, however, has Makuta's plan be to kidnap everyone in Metru Nui, wipe their memories, and fabricate a story about rescuing them. It's incredibly creepy when you think about it.

• Upvote 3

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Also going to have to say Legends of Metru-Nui. It's the best of the four, from it's music to it's story; I just wish it was longer so it wouldn't have to really skim over the stuff concerning the Great Disks (Kanohi-Nui?) to the Morbuzahk(?).

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Legends of Metru Nui. It was a really exciting adventure and the characters were a lot of fun. It also involves people finding out about awesome abilities. What's more to like?

The Legend Reborn.

Fight me.

That movie could have been epic, had a plot that could have rivaled a Greek myth in legendary feels, but it fell flat man. Mata Nui's and Ackar's voice actors should have voiced everyone, 2015-style (only slightly better executed since there would be two actors instead of one). I wonder if the book is better.

TLR because the characters actually looked like the sets!

For god's sake, I don't want to look at your muscle tissue bulging out of your body that has little to no resemblance to your set!

I would agree... if the sets weren't trying to depict organic people! Out of all the years to make a movie that looked like the sets that was the worst one.

"These people are different then the robots before, they have skin, blood, genitalia, nipples, all of it, just with some nano-augs to make them fit in with Bionicle more"

"Dude, the look almost exactly the same--"

"I SAID THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT" *fires mouth laser at heretic* "BLAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGH!!"

Edited by Sir Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

Legends of Metru Nui. It was a really exciting adventure and the characters were a lot of fun. It also involves people finding out about awesome abilities. What's more to like?

The Legend Reborn.

Fight me.

That movie could have been epic, had a plot that could have rivaled a Greek myth in legendary feels, but it fell flat man. Mata Nui's and Ackar's voice actors should have voiced everyone, 2015-style (only slightly better executed since there would be two actors instead of one). I wonder if the book is better.

Mmhm. Probably would have looked better standing next to the cancelled movies, but yeah. Just needed a better writer.

mindeth the cobwebs

For god's sake, I don't want to look at your muscle tissue bulging out of your body that has little to no resemblance to your set!

I would agree... if the sets weren't trying to depict organic people! Out of all the years to make a movie that looked like the sets that was the worst one.

"These people are different then the robots before, they have skin, blood, genitalia, nipples, all of it, just with some nano-augs to make them fit in with Bionicle more"

"I SAID THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT" *fires mouth laser at heretic* "BLAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGH!!"

From a story standpoint, yeah I would agree if the trilogy had characters who looked just like the sets and TLR had more organic-looking figures. But I think that from a marketing perspective, it would make a lot more sense just to have made all of them set-based. After all, a kid's going to be able to make a better connection between their set Ackar and the animated Ackar rather than their set Vahki and the animated Vahki. 

The Legend Reborn.

Fight me.

It might just be a difference in opinion, but I really enjoyed the writing for TLR. There were a few cheesy lines such as "we fight together", but I sure think it's a grand improvement from that horrible, horrible, horrible writing we had for the trilogy. 

bZpOwEr

I want to say LoMN because it had a legitimate fight against Teridax and didn't have a forced betrayal by Vakama. At the same time, I tend to think that WoS was probably the best when I don't consider my pet peeves against the 2005 story.

TLR is just sad because of how much better it could have been.

How well will you die?

From a story standpoint, yeah I would agree if the trilogy had characters who looked just like the sets and TLR had more organic-looking figures. But I think that from a marketing perspective, it would make a lot more sense just to have made all of them set-based. After all, a kid's going to be able to make a better connection between their set Ackar and the animated Ackar rather than their set Vahki and the animated Vahki. 

The Legend Reborn.

Fight me.

It might just be a difference in opinion, but I really enjoyed the writing for TLR. There were a few cheesy lines such as "we fight together", but I sure think it's a grand improvement from that horrible, horrible, horrible writing we had for the trilogy. 

Yes. Much better than the other movies, but knowing it could have been done better and choosing the character designs that way always spoils it for me. Also, waddup with the tropical Mata-Nui and the universe-spanning shots when the Mask of Life was only going from moon-to-planet at the beginning? And the little agori pulling the mountain-sized prototype robot pieces together with naught but their ropes and themselves? What the heck? :lol: Lastly, the music: Why did they refuse Nathan Furst? Why?? Did Lego lose their minds???

Edited by Sir Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

The Legend Reborn.

Fight me.

Yes. Much better than the other movies, but knowing it could have been done better and choosing the character designs that way always spoils it for me. Also, waddup with the tropical Mata-Nui and the universe-spanning shots when the Mask of Life was only going from moon-to-planet at the beginning? And the little agori pulling the mountain-sized prototype robot pieces together with naught but their ropes and themselves? What the heck? :lol: Lastly, the music: Why did they refuse Nathan Furst? Why?? Did Lego lose their minds???

The music of TLR is something interesting for me in that I can't quite make up my mind if I like it or not. It's like...I enjoy listening to it, but I can never remember it afterward. :/

Edited by Irrie: The Loremaster

bZpOwEr

My favorite movie would be Web of Shadows. I liked the darker story it had, along with the darken atmosphere of the city. The battle at the end was good too, especially since it gave the other Toa besides Vakama and Matau some more screen time and actually had a character die in the end. (R.I.P. Sidorak.) 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

My favorite movie would be Web of Shadows. I liked the darker story it had, along with the darken atmosphere of the city. The battle at the end was good too, especially since it gave the other Toa besides Vakama and Matau some more screen time and actually had a character die in the end. (R.I.P. Sidorak.) 

He deserved to die.

• Upvote 2

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Legends of Metru Nui, for actual depth of theme and characterization. MoL wasn't quite as good in that department, and WoS is good to make fun of. 

I like TLR, but it is cheesier than LoMN in places, plus it doesn't have Vakama, so it gets an automatic downgrade. Still, it's a very good movie. 

He deserved to die.

Correct, which is why he is Resting In Pieces. :P

Sorry, bad joke. I kind of forgot what 'R.I.P.' stood for when I made that post, and didn't remember until you replied. Silly me. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

He deserved to die.

Sorry, bad joke. I kind of forgot what 'R.I.P.' stood for when I made that post, and didn't remember until you replied. Silly me. :P

Bad joke? Dude, that's a classic Lego joke there.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Yeah, I'd say Takutanuva was killed by the door, Takanuva was killed by protodermis, and Jaller was killed by a Rakhshi, oh, and Lhikan died, somehow. (No one will ever convince me that Jaller and Taka aren't clones from that point on)

He deserved to die.

Or the Expendables depending on where you get it from...

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

He deserved to die.

Or the Expendables depending on where you get it from...

The universe is relative. 

bZpOwEr

Hard to say between Legends and Web of Shadows. The characters and plot are tighter in WoS, I think (largely because it can ignore most of the Toa/Rahaga). That said, I think some of its depth comes from prior knowledge of the surrounding lore, so it stands less well in isolation.

Legends of Metru Nui is easier for a newbie to digest and has the best soundtrack by far. Character arcs are adequate, given that each can only have a few minutes of screen time. 

Mask of Light is good on its own too, but the ending always feels a bit contrived and abrupt.

• Upvote 1

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

We've acknowledged time and time again the weaknesses of the 2005 story...BUT...I recently rewatched all 4...and I have to say that adult me thought that WoS was the best from a MOVIE standpoint...clearly, from a bionicle standpoint, there are problems.

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

I haven't managed to watch The Legend Reborn, but I did watch the three older films. I think I liked Web of Shadows best, because spiders. And I thought Roodaka was cool.

To be honest, I don't exactly see why anyone feels the movie portrayals of the characters in those films are deficient. I don't mind the muscles, those kind of were what cemented the idea that bionicles were biomechanical beings in my seven-year-old mind.

wake_up_sheeple.png

I haven't managed to watch The Legend Reborn, but I did watch the three older films. I think I liked Web of Shadows best, because spiders. And I thought Roodaka was cool.

To be honest, I don't exactly see why anyone feels the movie portrayals of the characters in those films are deficient. I don't mind the muscles, those kind of were what cemented the idea that bionicles were biomechanical beings in my seven-year-old mind.

Legend Reborn was serious cut below the others, finally saw it on Netflix the other day. :/

Didn't know people had a problem with them. Visually, the movies are probably one of the more accurate portrayals of the characters, no?

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

Didn't know people had a problem with them. Visually, the movies are probably one of the more accurate portrayals of the characters, no?

I don't know, the comics had more set-accurate depictions of them. Nokama's and Gali's masks changed quite a bit between their set and movie appearances, in my opinion. But I don't wanna complain about that - it's kind of a minor point.

Legend Reborn was serious cut below the others, finally saw it on Netflix the other day. :/

*sighs* So, should I not watch The Legend? Or is it worth my time?

wake_up_sheeple.png

I love all of them. Even The Legend Reborn, because the little kid in me loves it, the visuals and the voices were great, and I love Bara Magna.

But my favourite is probably Legends of Metru Nui, because of the characterisation, good plot, rich visuals (a baroque feast of beauty and awesome), incredible music, and EVERY. SINGLE. VOICE. was perfect, except Whenua's, which was only very good, (a bit too backstreet bar bouncer, but still good enough to have that tone of underlying wisdom as well). If only the movie was longer, so it could have all of that year's storyline (I'd love a supercut in which we get an hour or two extra of story).

My second favourite is a tie between Mask of Light and Web of Shadows, because they're both superb movies, with great soundtracks and great voice acting (though Onua Nuva's voice just wasn't good enough. He sounded like a happy thug rather than the soft-spoken wise warrior he is). Web of Shadows is tightly plotted with a sinister darkness and emotional characterisation that expands the Toa Metru's personalities, with great Man vs. inner Beast imagery, a mind-blowing soundtrack, and such strong brotherhood. My chief gripe is that Sidorak was nowhere near good enough compared to what the rich, 3-dimensional warrior-king (the true Sidorak) in the novels was. Nonetheless, his voice acting was pretty good.

Mask of Light is awesome, but not quite as good as Legends of Metru Nui.

And just because Legend Reborn is last don't you underestimate it. I loved the soundtrack.

And for the muscle haters: They're BIOMECHANICAL beings. Though I think that'd be more relevant to the Bara Magnan's, because they can take off their armour and are all fleshy with the odd robotic part underneath.

Edited by Erasmus Graves

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf