Korgot - Protector of Earth

Aanchir

22961806971_c56f5ea378_z.jpg

Flickr | DeviantArt

Back in August I doodled a quick sketch of Korgot, Protector of Earth while at family camp in West Virginia. Once I got back home I decided to redraw it with the actual set on hand for reference, and a couple days ago (after fixing some errors I saw with the proportions of her shoulder armor) I finally finished inking it. I tried to adhere to the same style as my previous drawing of Gali, Master of Water

The Protector of Earth set is John Ho's design, but Ryder Windham, the author of the chapter book "Island of Lost Masks", helped popularize the character by deciding that the current Protector of Earth, Korgot, should be female. I tried to reflect that in this drawing without deviating from the set's distinctive muscular proportions.

I think it's very cool that Bionicle characters' gender is no longer strictly tied to their element like it was in the theme's first generation, that one of the most powerful-looking Protectors is a woman, and that a character as strong and wise as Onua, Master of Earth, has a female mentor. :)

• Upvote 15

How hard was it to capture all the details of the set on such a dark-colored model? I know that it's your style to draw while using the real set as a reference and it looks amazing, especially after you ink it, but I find this statement a little contradictory to the picture:

Korgot, should be female. I tried to reflect that in this drawing without deviating from the set's distinctive muscular proportions.

I don't quite see either traits in the real life toy, all I see is pieces of plastic put together and any sense of personality or character doesn't get conveyed as a result.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Vaguely reminds me of comic books.

Thanks! I'd love to one day have both the patience and the imagination to do a comic. Storytelling has never been my forte, though.

How hard was it to capture all the details of the set on such a dark-colored model? I know that it's your style to draw while using the real set as a reference and it looks amazing, especially after you ink it, but I find this statement a little contradictory to the picture:

Korgot, should be female. I tried to reflect that in this drawing without deviating from the set's distinctive muscular proportions.

I don't quite see either traits in the real life toy, all I see is pieces of plastic put together and any sense of personality or character doesn't get conveyed as a result.

Regarding the color, I tended to work on this drawing when I had good lighting. But it helped that I have drawn a number of Technic and CCBS sets before, so I generally knew what the parts should look like, and all I really needed to reference were the angles they were at.

The "muscularity" of the set's design is mostly reflected in the large, powerful chest and somewhat broad shoulders (a trait that's even more evident on Ekimu the Mask Maker and Narmoto, Protector of Fire). The set itself is not overtly masculine or feminine, but I think it can be viewed as either gender. When Korgot's gender was revealed, some people seemed to think it was a silly decision, since in their eyes the set was overtly masculine. And even the many people who thought it was a positive decision often created MOCs and revamps that seemingly tried to "feminize" the set's appearance. In this drawing I didn't want to go with that approach. After all, Korgot already has an "hourglass figure", so to speak, which is one of the most stereotypical female gender identifiers in cartoon character design besides eyelashes. Even without narrow shoulders or long legs or meticulously sculpted breasts I think she can be understood as a woman in armor.

From there it was just a matter of coming up with a pose that felt feminine but not dainty or heavily sexualized. I felt the sketch I came up with in my initial pose helped emphasize the set's arched back and "hourglass figure" while still feeling strong both physically and emotionally. And when I got home it was just a matter of posing the set to match and then redrawing the figure to reflect the actual set's proportions when posed in that fashion.

Thank you for your feedback!

I think the drawing is very accurate, but I fail to see how it looks feminine, as you wanted it to. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think the drawing ads femininity, but as you mentioned the set does actually have an hourglass figure (very much so after removing the stud shooter). But few Lego figures look like a perfect human shape... I mean even Emmet and Wyldstyle when you think about it share the exact same build! :)  And that is where this drawing works, it is a spot on depiction of Korgot's set form with only a few modifications to smooth over the CCBS's shells back ends. I can only imagine the work it took to get every piece proportioned and shaped just right to form this sketch, and the effort shows in the final product. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

I adore the way you work with lineweights so much. And the way the characters you draw always look so dynamic while retaining the set-like appearance. Same goes for this one.

I also really really love the drill. Looks great. :3

Thank you! Believe it or not I have very little experience working with lineweights like this, but it was something I was encouraged to practice with in my first semester drawing class at my last college. That class is one of the few good things to come out of that particular college experience. In the past I've felt really anxious in most art classes, which was compounded by pressure from my teachers to hold my pencil differently, erase less, etc. The art class at my last college was the first one where I really felt competent and could focus on improving my craft. That was more than two years ago, and I'm glad that experience is finally paying off in the artwork I do for fun.

I'm thinking of going back to my first college to enroll in their bachelor's degree program in studio art, but I'm a bit nervous after my experience at my last college was such a train wreck. But maybe I just need to be more confident in my own abilities? I don't know, this is starting to get off-topic.

I think the drawing is very accurate, but I fail to see how it looks feminine, as you wanted it to. 

I'm sorry I wasn't able to make the drawing recognizably feminine for you. But I didn't want to stray from the set's appearance too much, just highlight the set's slim waist and the curvature of the chest and thighs.

I don't think the drawing ads femininity, but as you mentioned the set does actually have an hourglass figure (very much so after removing the stud shooter). But few Lego figures look like a perfect human shape... I mean even Emmet and Wyldstyle when you think about it share the exact same build! :)  And that is where this drawing works, it is a spot on depiction of Korgot's set form with only a few modifications to smooth over the CCBS's shells back ends. I can only imagine the work it took to get every piece proportioned and shaped just right to form this sketch, and the effort shows in the final product. 

I wasn't really trying to add femininity, just to bring out the femininity that was already present in the set's appearance. Sort of the same as with my previous Gali drawing. I liked a lot of the Korgot artwork and MOCs I saw after it was revealed the character was female, but it bothered me how pretty much all of them saw the need to deviate from the set's proportions (as if she wasn't believable as a female character otherwise) so this was partly a reaction to that.

The shoulder armor was definitely the hardest part to get right, because it has so much detail and such an unusual shape. In the pencil drawing, the armor on her left shoulder was much larger than the armor on her right shoulder, but I tried to balance it out better before I finally went to ink it. The mask was also difficult, and it's probably still smaller than it should be. The basic CCBS beams and shells tend to be a lot easier to draw, which is one of the many things I like about those pieces.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! :)

Edited by Aanchir