The 2011 Christmas Advent Calendar

~kh

Well, these four are certainly unexpected. :blink:Alena: Very good! You even kept the pentameter correct. Needless to say, I was humming along as I read it :lol:MirMir: I can't tell you how happy I am to see you back, even for a small amount of time. Your comic was sweet and touching, as usual, and your abilities haven't diminished one bit. ^_^Ennar: We had a "brown" Christmas too. Do you think you could get Makito to send a measly five inches over here plzthx? :PLR: Great to see you back too, dude. And the first half of your comic made me lol. :pirate:

Darc pretty much said everything I was going to say. :PI really didn't know there were going to be four new comics. And some from comic authors I haven't seen or heard from in ages!That really was a touching and kind comic, Miraka. I think it captured the Christmas spirit even better than all the Christmas comics combined. How is it that you can make such interesting, sweet, and even relateable comics? Your style is very unique. I'd love to see more from you whenever you get the chance. :)And there's Ennar's somewhat catatrophic comic style. I never posted much on the older forums, but I kept up with your comics. It's nice to see you again.Oh, and tell Makito we need him over where I live so we can some snow that lasts longer than a day. :PAnd to Alena and Lavaside Rahi, I still consider myself among the new members, so I can't say I'm familiar with your comics. Both of your Christmas comics were very nice. Alena's was humorous, and I can relate to LR's in my own way. :PNice job, everyone! :D

pony_herd_really_tiny.png

In the meantime, you shall be loved and tolerated.

-----------------------------------------

I am both Toa Mata Nui and Dragonfly the Luminescent

-----------------------------------------

And to Alena and Lavaside Rahi, I still consider myself among the new members, so I can't say I'm familiar with your comics. Both of your Christmas comics were very nice. Alena's was humorous, and I can relate to LR's in my own way. :P

Alena never had a series, and LR retired awhile ago. That's probably why.

naw man

Thanks to the few of you who responded to my comic and Invi's comic on the 24th.I'm glad you enjoyed our work and actually commented on it.-V-

Here are some actually great comics that I feel deserve a bit more attention as well.

One Nation Under The Great Spirit - The Lazy Life of a Comic Maker 3.0 - 009 Makes Comics - Tilted - The Awesomepacolypse - Tavkorp: Since 2008 - Akano's Comics

Well, see you never again, BZP.

Many thanks to the fans who responded to mine and all the other comics. Feels good to be making some again, despite it most likely being the only one during my entire vacation month from college. But small matter, that - maybe I'll make more between classes again. To answer your question, Toa Mata Pony, I base my comics mainly off of real life. Something like what LR did with his advent submission this year, as he's currently studying overseas in Spain. That, plus the fact that I don't do dark subject matter. Or even dark colors. Unless it's nighttime, of course. I guess you could say my style is... homey?Should you ever take up the comic author's banner, I think we'd all be interested in seeing some of your work.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this has long since ended, so I'd like to extend a thanks to everyone who participated, and another one to anyone who read the comics. We comic makers can't really do too much without the readers that comment and critique our work every day, so you just being here was in and of itself a motivation.As per tradition, I will now resign from hosting the calendar for this year. Yeah, it had its own up and downs, including my own comic not being done and the comics being released late and CooB (who I publicly apologize for not getting your comic up, I'm really sorry about that...) and other such things. But I at least had a good time doing it, and there were a lot of good comics made this year, so I'm mostly happy.We'll be holding another vote for host of the Advent Comic Calendar 2012, so if you are interested, send me a comment (preferably not a PM, so my inbox stays relatively full =P) and I'll put down your name for the voting segment. Now that I think about it, we really should have a commitee of some sort for this...I'll go see what I can do about that.For those of you who haven't seen my half-finished comic already, I'll put it up there just so you can see what's going. But there's another announcement I have to make.TTV, otherwise known as The Three Virtues Podcast, recorded a very long special (three hours worth!) about the Advent Calendar in detail. Mesonak, Eljay, Venom and I all had a blast doing it, and after some hosting issues, finally were able to upload it for everyone here to listen to. We split it up into seven parts, the first six dealing with the Calendar Comics, and then a sort of "Awards Ceremony" where we picked our favorite and least favorite of the bunch. TTV also has a general comic spotlight that takes place as one of their usual segments in each of their episodes. If you want to see any more of their work, you can directly check out their topic.

Thanks, and welcome to the year of the end of the world! Here's hoping we live to see the next calendar end. =P

Edited by Kahi

I was just listening to the review of my Christmas Comic.I hope i'll do a better one next year, well i was in a rush with my Christmas Comic anyway. :rolleyes:I think I should write an apology letter to the ICC for using the ICC Noobs in my Christmas Comic. :mellow:

Edited by Matoran Oneker

2020 STATUS UPDATE:

If you've come across any of my topics such, as my comic series which are now lost, I just want to say is I have since DISOWNED them as of 2020. Looking back at them I'm no longer proud of what I've made here on BZPower.

I listened to the review of my comic, and I suddenly understand why very few outside of my close friends reads my comics: because I am insufferable. I am an insufferable person and I basically insulted a bunch of people and that isn't good. I make too many mistakes in how I behave and too many mistakes in my interpretation of events. I put effort into comics but nobody can handle talking to me because I either act weird or act agressive. I am self centered and in my mockery of the American education system even displayed bigotry in the past. I've ruined friendships because of heated anger at those, and handled things very poorly. Actions speak louder than words, and my actions have been rambunctious, but still, I'd like to offer my apologies, for what they're worth. I didn't understand myself whatsoever, so I'd like to thank the group at TTV for helping me to uncover this shocking revalation about myself, and I do mean this sincerely: Thank you.That said: I would like to criticise one thing. The TTV crew spent some time on the idea that because this was a Christmas calendar Christmas had to be a very obvious event. I would like to disagree, for Christianity is not the default, and you can't assume everybody is comfortable with making comics about one of Christ's Masses, in a BIONICLE-world where religion is really not even a thing.In any case: My intent is not to derail the topic. I'm only posting this publically as a reaction to the TTV podcasts, since it fits this topic more than the TTV topic. If anybody wishes to talk to me about the contents of this post (as if anybody would want to wilingly subject theirselves to me), they are welcome to send me a personal message.All I know is, I'm going to make next year's comic count.

Edited by Tapika

tumblr_mrji0oZwlq1sqiy2ho1_400.png

Hm. I just listened to the review for my comic.I agree. It was not my best work. It was rushed, hyped, and a bit out-of-season. I was trying to make it awesome, but it actually failed epically. XPI hope I can do better next christmas. I had a lot of fun doing this. :biggrin:- :b: :c: :2: :1:

Edited by Biocryptid21

:I

Just finised listening to the whole thing but I'll just focus on my review.Very fair review, actually. Short comic? Yes but that's just the way I like to do things, especially if you've ever seen any of my comics for WBtHotM. A bunch of short comics that didn't beat around the bush and just drove the plot.As for not entirely understanding my comic, that's entirely understandable. What my comic did was parody itself and my own style of holiday comics which take traditional christmas ideas and plays around with them in a bizarre manner. For example, last year I made a comic that described Santa as a time-travelling Nazi genius who had a misunderstanding when he wanted tribesmen to create atomic grenades for him. This year, I parody my own tradition by making a comic about me making a comic that deviates from traditional christmas... er... traditions.So essentially, the comic within my comic is a parody of the comic itself which is a parody of my own style of holiday comics which parody the traditional ideas of christmas.Sorry if my way of thinking is too non-linear and super confusing. :P

G A Y   A S   H E C K

Yeah, I realize I misspelled "Calendar". I actually reuploaded it to my Majhost and fixed it, but by then Kahi had already reuploaded the old version.Also, I think you were the first people to recognize that the department-store Turaga Claus was supposed to be Ennar.Oh, and the thing with the iPad- iPads are expensive. Gerlicky is cheap.

Edited by Gerlicky

So, I listened to my review, and here's my thoughts on it: First, I need to find a tutorial on Speech Bubbles. Or switch to glowy text. Next, Mega Man is a matter of preference. I like him, and the pose just worked for that scene. I probably should have made it more clear (somehow...) that he was a regular character in my comics. Third, I've never thought about filling those empty spaces with something. That is something I need to look into.

Edited by King Joe

I'm listening through the reviews right now, I like these! This would make a worthy addition to the whole tradition (I guess it counts as a tradition if it happens more than once...). But I would agree with Tapika and John Marrow that the default criticism of "It's not Christmas" gets a little old. Now, you can make a good argument that a comic isn't sufficiently different enough from a regular comic to really be considered a "holiday" comic, which I think would be a legitimate criticism, but you guys didn't really make that very clear, so...Still, it made for an interesting listen. Thanks for putting it together!

If you want to see what became of me... I became a brony fan fiction writer.

My comic didn't start as a "lets include everyone we can" comic, and it really wasn't meant to be (thusly, there was no story significance to the cameos). I originally just wanted to grab 20 people to be the carolsing so that I didn't have to make 20 random people, and it kinda just exploded from there. Yeah. That's all, really.

We actually based the comics on how well they stood as a good Christmas comic.There were even comics we liked and thought were great but didn't really relate to Christmas as well as others.The relativity to Christmas is just a very significant quality that's very much expected in the Advent Calendar.So if you think "ITS NOT CHRISTMAS ENOUGH SO IT SUCKS ENTIRELY" is what we concluded for every comic-You're either just totally misunderstanding our points,or you're either not listening too well.I'm glad our reviews were enjoyed overall, though.Great job again to those who got their deserved positive reviews.-V-

Edited by The Venom

Here are some actually great comics that I feel deserve a bit more attention as well.

One Nation Under The Great Spirit - The Lazy Life of a Comic Maker 3.0 - 009 Makes Comics - Tilted - The Awesomepacolypse - Tavkorp: Since 2008 - Akano's Comics

Well, see you never again, BZP.

• 9 months later...
Plan is to do it again this year. Please PM me if you're interested. The usual invites will also be making their way around for those who are still here.
Who will be running the calender this year?

2020 STATUS UPDATE:

If you've come across any of my topics such, as my comic series which are now lost, I just want to say is I have since DISOWNED them as of 2020. Looking back at them I'm no longer proud of what I've made here on BZPower.

Plan is to do it again this year. Please PM me if you're interested. The usual invites will also be making their way around for those who are still here.
Who will be running the calender this year?
Kahi again I believe. I mean, if we have to PM him and he posted a reminder in the topic, then there's a considerable amount of chance that he is.-Rez

Yeah, the plan was to have another round of voting, but no one bothered to make a blog post for it and time was running short so I decided to just reuse my old template and go from there. The way it stood, either someone had to take immediate charge or nothing was going to happen.That being said, there is a Skype conversation where we do some more priority organization. If you have Skype and want to join, just add me (Kahinuva is the username) and say you're there for the calendar. I'll add you to the conversation.Those of you who don't, PM me. I've received several PMs which I will be replying to later today.