Postulating About The Ancient City Culture

aldero

Ah, yes, the Ancient City. Besides having the most creative name in the Bionicle mythos since the Golden Armour, we've seen a lot of hints about what the Ancient City once was, but we haven't exactly delved into the culture and what not. So, with all of the hints of an arena, the reverence of the Mask Makers, the importance of the Protectors, the geographic positioning of the city and the presence of the Temple of Time, I will ask the question: What was going on in there?

I'll start us off here with the possible hierarchy of the city itself. It might be possible that the tribes that we see depicted in the animations stood standing even in the City's heyday, especially considering that there's a structure surrounding the shrine of the Golden Mask of Fire. My theory is that the Ancient City is kinda like the Whiterun's Skyforge. It's a source of elemental power that is ideal for maskmaking.

Ekimu and Makuta had noticed the presence of this elementally potent forge, so they built their forge around this. This maskmaking hotspot had turned the Ancient City into a city for Okoto's greatest artisans; architects, stonemasons, blacksmiths and most importantly, the revered maskmakers. This city was relatively isolated from the rest of Okoto and the longer and longer that the inhabitants lived in the Ancient City, the more the city's culture would develop and expand from the tribal and agrarian attitude of the rest of the Okotian tribes.

So... it's Rapture.

• Upvote 1

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

Love the idea you put forth, just... what's "Rapture"?

Rapture? http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/Rapture

It's basically a city built under the sea exclusively for the brightest and most talented of the people above as a means to preserve true talent and weed out any pesky ideals of religion or politics, serving as a city for the elite.

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

I don't know. I figured the Ancient City was more of a Metru-Nui type deal (although less futuristic). The city was home to the islands center of commerce, Ekimu and Makuta's masks driving the economy. The arena would have been used by the outlying villages for sports used to settle disputes (ala Kohli or Glatorian fights). Villagers of different tribes would live in the city. As time went on, the city's influence slowly modernized the rest of Okoto, for example the construction of the temple of time in an area removed from the city. So when the city was lost, the people reverted back to living in simple villages. Kind of how European society went backwards after the fall of Rome (thus leading to the Middle Ages). If anything Ekimu's return should reinvigorate the island of Okoto.

However if the city is anything like Rapture, maybe we should be afraid Ekimu is back in charge! :)

Edited by Xboxtravis
  • Upvote 2

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

I figured that the Ancient City was just that...ancient. Kinda of like cities in the Lord of the Rings, like Rohan or Gondor. Or what you would find in Medieval Tales like King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. 

It also has obvious similarities to the Ta-Koro on Mata Nui, with the sporting arena and the bridge being obvious rip-offs, and Ta-Metru, with the forges. I also suspect there was a fish market and some sort of organized spirituality going on.