Malleable

Pahrak Model ZX

The Bone Hunter surveyed the desert from his Rock Steed.  Aside from a few Zesk burrowing under a dune nearby, the sands were still.

It was some time before they appeared.  Two more Rock Steeds came running out towards him, each carrying another Hunter and one sporting a second passenger.  The Bone Hunter dismounted and stepped forward as they pulled up before him.

“You’re sure you weren’t followed?” asked one of the others.

“What do you think?” he retorted.  “Hand over the prisoner already.”

The jailer pushed his passenger off onto the sand.  She was a Turaga with organic green armor, bound in vines and with a sack drawn over her head.  Landing beside her, the jailer pulled her to her feet and prepared to trade her off.

That was when the second jailer jumped between them.  “Wait.”

The Hunter growled.  “What now?”

“You were given a pass phrase.  We have to be sure this isn’t a trick.”

“Waste of my time,” the Hunter muttered, shaking his head.

The second jailer drew his sword.  “Out with it.  If you don’t know it—“

The Hunter drew his Thornax launcher.  The first jailer ducked, pulling the prisoner back with him, while the second leapt forward and slashed through the Hunter’s midsection.  He disappeared in the blink of an eye, leaving his attacker very confused when a blade pierced his back.  Electrical energy filled his body, and after a few long seconds, he felt nothing.

The other jailer looked at the Toa of Iron who had appeared, her orange and gunmetal armor the same fleshy substance as his Turaga prisoner.  From behind her gunmetal Mahiki, her cold eyes stared out at him, as if their vibrant green blaze was about to consume him.  He shakily held his sword against the Turaga’s neck for a few more seconds before hopping back onto his Rock Steed.

As he sped off, the Toa sliced one finger through the vines holding the Turaga and removed the sack from her head.  Brilliant light obscured her face.  The Toa produced an organic green Noble Huna and placed it on the Turaga, who began to stir.  She then stood tall, aimed her Lightstone Rifle at the fleeing Hunter, and fired.

“Ugh,” the Turaga moaned as she sat up.  “Dreynarn?  Is that you?”

Dreynarn nodded.  She held one hand out, using her power to drag the stunned Hunter across the sands by his armor.  “How is your health, Turaga Leum?”

The Turaga got to her feet.  “I’m alright.  A bit sore, but I can pull myself together before we get back to…”

She trailed off as her eyes caught the corpse.

“You didn’t need to kill him.”

The other Hunter was in Dreynarn’s hand now.  She shook her head and replied, “I did.”

Her captive blinked.  He struggled, but Dreynarn held him steady.

“Why did you kidnap the Turaga?”

“I…I don’t know!”

Dreynarn stored her Rifle on her back and punched the Hunter in the stomach.  “I do not believe you.”

Leum pulled at her arm.  “Dreynarn!”

The Hunter coughed.  “Th-The Skrall wanted her.  I don’t know why—honest!  We didn’t ask a lot of questions, we were just looking to get paid!”

Dreynarn turned to Leum.  “Hm…the Skrall have been displeased with you since the mine negotiations.”

Looking back to the Hunter, she focused her Elemental Power upon him, willing his armor to compress and bend, slowly crushing him to death.

“Dreynarn!” Leum shouted.  “Stop this!”

The Toa dropped the Hunter, who was already dead.  “They may have alerted others.  It would have been unwise to allow him to escape.”

She mounted her Rock Steed and waited for Leum to join her.  Eventually, the Turaga sighed and climbed aboard, and they were off across the sand.

Dunes blurred past them.  Keeping her eyes forward, Dreynarn asked, “You have objections, Turaga?”

Leum grunted.  “Don’t misunderstand, I’m thankful for the rescue.  But…I still don’t think you needed to kill them.”

“I explained my reasons.”

“Yes, and they’re perfectly logical.  But you’re a Toa.”

“Indeed I am.  What relevance does that have?”

Leum looked up, watching the sparse clouds over them.  “I’m old, Dreynarn.  I can remember when Toa still had a Code—when they thought being a hero meant adhering to certain principals in all but the most dire of times.  I guess I’m just nostalgic.”

“The Code was abandoned for a reason, Turaga.  This world is very different.  We had no choice but to adapt.”

“I know, but it’s difficult to forget what we were created to be.”

“That does not matter.  We have long outlived the purpose our creators gave us.  Now, we must become something else in order to survive.”

Leum closed her eyes and leaned forward, resting her head against Dreynarn’s back.  “Yes, yes, but I’m still allowed to feel bothered by it.”

“Very well, Turaga.”

“So it doesn’t bother you?”

Dreynarn paused.  “…I am who I must be.  Nothing can change that.”

Leum thought a while.  “I see,” was all she could say.

• Upvote 1

THIS. IS. AMAZING. Love the concept and the setting in some near post-melding future, with the abandoned Toa Code and the hints at the world. I ahve to say, your worldbuilding is top notch as usual. That passing comment about the mine negotiations and the way you introduce the idea that some time has passed since the melding (at least that's what I assume it is) are both examples of brilliant drip-fed exposition that just hooked me into wanting to know more. :D 

Are you planning on writing more in this vein of setting? I'd love to see it. 

• Upvote 1

"Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, 'No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back,' it never WOULD have come back."

-Greg Farshtey

Thanks so much!  I was worried there wasn't quite enough background here since it's something I still want to put more work into, so I'm glad to hear it still felt natural.

I am going to try one or two more stories like this in the hopes of putting a Toa team together for an epic, but we'll have to see if that works out.  There's still a lot that needs to be done.