Flying Shore Turtles?

SPIRIT

So apparently Shore Turtles (Hoi) can fly.

Does anyone know the source for that?  As I recall, they couldn't fly in Quest for the Toa (Tales of the Tohunga) -- with the exception of Takua throwing them and really upsetting PETA.

Was this revealed on an older version of Bionicle.com or in an obscure guidebook or something?

[bonesiii:] Can any creature with a mask as part of its LEGO design be infected? Or are masks sometimes just used as part of the design, and not as actual masks? For example, the Hoi turtle mentioned in the bios.   

[Greg:]Given that Rahi wore infected masks and were controlled, I would say yes, any mask can be infected.   

[bones:]Speaking of Hoi, the bio describes it as a "flying swamp turtle." The picture shows it hovering just above the ground. Huh? :blink: How can a turtle, clearly with no wings, fly? That's not a Miru on its back; it's a Pakari. Is it filled with helium or something?   

[Greg:]Well, I could conjure up some long scientific explanation for you.. or I could just point out that this is a fantasy world, and not everything can be explained in terms of Earth biology or natural laws.

Famous Greg answer for ya. ([stuff] added by me.) There aren't any other answers that refer to this as far as I could search. Apparently the source for it is some online bio available in 2003.

I tried the Wayback Machine with no luck.

[bonesiii:] Can any creature with a mask as part of its LEGO design be infected? Or are masks sometimes just used as part of the design, and not as actual masks? For example, the Hoi turtle mentioned in the bios.   

[Greg:]Given that Rahi wore infected masks and were controlled, I would say yes, any mask can be infected.   

[bones:]Speaking of Hoi, the bio describes it as a "flying swamp turtle." The picture shows it hovering just above the ground. Huh? :blink: How can a turtle, clearly with no wings, fly? That's not a Miru on its back; it's a Pakari. Is it filled with helium or something?   

[Greg:]Well, I could conjure up some long scientific explanation for you.. or I could just point out that this is a fantasy world, and not everything can be explained in terms of Earth biology or natural laws.

Famous Greg answer for ya. ([stuff] added by me.) There aren't any other answers that refer to this as far as I could search. Apparently the source for it is some online bio available in 2003.

I tried the Wayback Machine with no luck.

You know, that might be it.

I'm looking at the Wayback Machine now and there's a bio section titled "Creatures" that I think could very well have had bios for the Master Builder Rahi.

I don't suppose anyone has a backup version of those bios?

I'm pretty sure that in the non-canon VNOG there was a cheat that would let you look like Rahi and other things. The Shore Turtle was one of them, but due to not actually having animations in the game it just hovered around. I believe this is what led to them canonically having flight. However, I am probably wrong.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

I'm looking at the Wayback Machine now and there's a bio section titled "Creatures" that I think could very well have had bios for the Master Builder Rahi.

"The Hoi are flying swamp turtles that dwell in the vicinity of Le-Koro. They are slow and relatively harmless. The arrival of the Lehvak forced many of the Hoi to move into coastal waters, where they have had a harder time surviving. Gali and the Ga-Koro Matoran have made an extra effort to aid and protect the Hoi."

You're welcome.

• Upvote 5

"The Hoi are flying swamp turtles that dwell in the vicinity of Le-Koro. They are slow and relatively harmless. The arrival of the Lehvak forced many of the Hoi to move into coastal waters, where they have had a harder time surviving. Gali and the Ga-Koro Matoran have made an extra effort to aid and protect the Hoi."

You're welcome.

Thanks Mr. Peabody.  Obviously YOU would be an expert on the Wayback Machine.  (Rocky and Bullwinkle?  1960s cartoons?  Anyone?  Anyone?)

I think this has been answered to my satisfaction.

• Upvote 2