will there ba a okoto online game or oog

I doubt it as Lego don't seem as keen on online games as they were just over ten years ago, plus the new line has been going long enough that I'm not sure a whole game to introduce people is really needed at this point.

Yeah. To a large extent, mobile games have supplanted online games as Lego's primary medium for free, widely accessible promotional games. Even if the original Mata Nui Online Game were released today, I reckon it would probably be done for both mobile platforms and online if not exclusively on mobile.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I would absolutely love for there to be an OOG, but the time has passed for releasing a game like that to be effective. When it came right down to it, the online games of the pasts were marketing strategies to a certain extent. The way we consume media has shifted away from slow-paced Flash games.

I wouldn't put it past some enterprising BZP member to create something similar to that in the future, though.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I'd love a game like this! It's one of the main things that Bionicle G1 had starting out that G2 lacks. At the same time, I recognize that it could be tricky in this day and age. When Bionicle.com launched in 2001, it only had three languages: English, French, and German. Today, the LEGO Bionicle site exists in many more languages, which means a text-heavy game like MNOG would be a lot more work for translators.

Also, even in 2001 when developing the MNOG, Templar Studios struggled with meeting deadlines, and some planned content had to be cut. The game was fortunately still a masterpiece, but as we saw with the much glitchier Mata Nui Online Game II, there's no guarantee that a game that struggles to meet deadlines like that will end up offering such a solid gaming experience. I'm sure it's probably much easier to develop an action game that can appeal to kids than a more story-driven and immersive gaming experience.

There are also some marketing factors that can complicate things. One of the things that made the Mata Nui Online Game and even its sequel so endearing was the choice to focus on the perspective of the villager characters. However, other than the Protectors, Bionicle G2 doesn't yet have any villager sets to promote. A game that focuses on the Toa and their quest is probably a much safer bet in terms of its promotional merits.

However, all this doesn't mean that I don't think LEGO should try. Mata Nui Online Game was easily one of the best LEGO.com online games, and I'd love to see a new game that offers a similar immersive experience. :)

I would absolutely love it if they did, but I'm not sure if they will. What I think would be especially great about it is that it could (as did MNOG) build the characters, locations, and atmosphere, which IMO is something it's been lacking in G2.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)