Alright, so I have two theories regarding what Protodermis is.

1. Protodermis isn't made of atoms, or its sub-atomic particles protons and neutrons, but rather a different sub-atomic particle formed from a different combination of smaller scale sub-atomic particles. This allows it to take on the various different forms it takes in canon, due to the different behavioural characteristics "programmed" into it by the composition of the smaller scale sub-atomic particles that make up its components.

2. Protodermis is made of atoms, or only its sub-atomic particles protons and neutrons, but with a transformational sub-atomic particle added into the mix which can splice and combine the protons and neutrons in the atoms or just the atoms themselves based on different chemical variables or heat, forming different kinds of matter based on what variable triggers what transformation.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 3

Alright, so I have two theories regarding what Protodermis is.

1. Protodermis isn't made of atoms, or its sub-atomic particles protons and neutrons, but rather a different sub-atomic particle formed from a different combination of smaller scale sub-atomic particles. This allows it to take on the various different forms it takes in canon, due to the different behavioural characteristics "programmed" into it by the composition of the smaller scale sub-atomic particles that make up its components.

2. Protodermis is made of atoms, or only its sub-atomic particles protons and neutrons, but with a transformational sub-atomic particle added into the mix which can splice and combine the protons and neutrons in the atoms or just the atoms themselves based on different chemical variables or heat, forming different kinds of matter based on what variable triggers what transformation.

Thoughts?

I like to think that protodermis is a highly versatile plastic which can take on the properties of other materials.

bBhcfWO.png

Seems like a pretty good explanation to me. On the other hand, Energised Protodermis would have to be endued with seemingly magical qualities, be as viscous and fluid as water, have to shimmer and be consistent enough not to collapse on itself whenever it attempts to stand up and crush Keetongu. Not to mention it's sentience. 

My proposal for this little deus-ex-machina fluid would be that one atom of Energised Protodermis consists of a power-sensitive nucleus capable of retaining information surrounded by metallic Protodermis particles, all held together as a non-viscous fluid by the individual nuclei being attracted to each other. Through this sub-atomic bond, the nuclei can exchange information and gradually become more and more intelligent according to the overall quantity of Energised Protodermis. 

Yeah... it's a little half-baked, I know.

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

Well, anything is possible in a fictional world, but in terms of real-world physics, matter and anti-matter are the only kinds of particles I know of that act like matter, but I guess I could be wrong. That's my take on theory #1.

On theory #2, the only way to get atoms to fuse together is to add energy to the system, and usually a lot of it. So these particles would have to be very high in energy. Also, in order for protodermis to change form, it would need to have some way of producing these particles when experiencing a trigger circumstance. Basically, it would need to pull energy out of the vacuum space and I don't think that is possible.

Edited by RahiSpeak

Any actual physicists or physics majors (chemists too?) around to weigh in on this?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

My take, in the short of it, is that it just can't be explained with real-world physics or chemistry. With its multifarious properties and basically magical properties in some cases, I don't think it can be summed up like that.

From what I know of chemistry and subatomic particles, I don't think either of these are really possible (of course, as I said before, that obviously wouldn't stop the Bionicle universe :P). Once you get into the world of subatomic particles, things get a lot more complicated than they are in chemistry; it's more than just a matter of having something as a correct mixture or temperature. Subatomic particles are just plain weird and mind- and science-bending a lot of the time.

Not to mention, of course, that some subatomic particles are entirely hypothetical. (Take the tachyon, for example, a subatomic particle that's capable of moving beyond the speed of light.) Sometimes it seems like they're more just... defined, than discovered. (An analogy being i=sqrt(-1). It goes against some fundamental properties of mathematics, but it's created as a definition so that people can use it to explain some things that'd be impossible to work out without it.)

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)