What if "Bionicle" wasn't "Bionicle"? Faber Files

Christian Faber's blog FaberFiles has updated with a new entry titled "Name suggestions from the time before time". There's no new art in this entry, though — just the familiar "Vitruvian Robot" concept image captioned with two possible names for the Bionicle theme from the final round of brainstorming: "Bioknights" and "Afterman". Do you think either of these names could have taken off like "Bionicle" (Biological Chronicle) did? Feel free to share your thoughts in the Talkback topic!

View the full article

Between "Afterman" and the English lettering on some of the Mata Nui concepts (I think it was along the lines of Unit 02 or something like that), I wonder if some of the early concepts of the Great Beings had them being human.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

Even if Lego doesn't ever use Afterman for the name of something, someone needs to eventually. It's just way too cool sounding for it to sit in the dustbin of history.

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

Afterman is a cool name, but I can't help but think kids hearing it would think of it like Superman, Spider-Man, etc. and expect "Afterman" to be the name of a character. Also, doesn't entirely fit with the direction the story ended up going, a universe entirely separate from the one humans live in.

"Bioknights" sounds cool, and would probably be less confusing to non-fans since it describes the characters instead of being just a poetic term for the story itself (if the theme were called Bioknights, you could probably identify the sets/characters as Bioknights and not be wrong), but I do prefer "Bionicle".

Bioknights probably wouldn't have made much sense seeing as bionicle was never (at least to my knowledge) based in medieval mythology. And afterman sounds like bionicle was originally supposed to take place in some kind of post-apocalyptic future where everyone have become tribal robots. Seeing as bionicle wasn't that dark at the time it wouldn't have fit the theme. Although I think lego probably should trademark the term "afterman" and maybe make something out of that idea (maybe the successor to bionicle G2?). 

It's time to move on.

The link to the entry isn't working for me. Here is the link in case anyone else is having issues with it too.

Anyways, Bioknights sounds like a corny name to me, so I'm glad Lego didn't go with it for naming Bionicle. Afterman actually sounds kind of cool IMO, but again not a name that would go with the story of Bionicle. Both are better than Boneheads of Voodoo Island though. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

• 4 weeks later...