Real Estate Available! Where would you live in the Bionicle story?

Xboxtravis

Hmm, so many great places...

I'm going to go with Ga-Koro. Pleasant beaches, tropical atmosphere, and all the fiiiiiiine ladies. B-)

Were the "ladies" notessentially genderless robots, you could have persuaded me.

I think the phrase you meant is "sexless" since though they lack physical characteristics, matoran /do/ have a notable sense of gender, but i digress.

Since they don't reproduce and their genders are never referred to in-story except for pronouns, which might have been done for the ease of the reader, I'd say that's debatable.

I have never reproduced, and people rarely refer to my gender except for pronouns. Does that mean I'm genderless?

The fact that you're even bringing up reproduction suggests to me that you completely missed Rahkshi Lalonde's point. Reproduction is tied to a person's sex, not their gender. Sex=physical, biological differences between male and female organisms. Gender=characteristics of masculinity or femininity as they apply to one's sense of identity, roles, and social structures.

By "don't reproduce" I meant "can't reproduce". Should've worded it like that from the start.

Are you claiming that there are certain roles or traits that are inherently tied to one gender or another?

No, just that society often assigns particular roles to particular genders, and expects particular traits from them. For the most part, gender is a social construct, not a biological one. And different societies will associate different things with different genders. In one society, it might be considered strange for women to hold certain jobs, wear certain clothes, or act a certain way that is considered normal for women in another society.

Even if you phrase it as "can't reproduce" things fall apart rather quickly. Post-menopausal women cannot reproduce, does that mean they don't have gender? What about a dog who has been spayed or neutered? What about people who are sterile their whole lives for other reasons? Can they never consider themselves men or women? Needless to say, gender is a wholly separate beast from reproduction.

Prior to the 1950s, it was even rare to use the word "gender" in reference to things other than language (i.e. how pronouns have genders, and lots of common nouns have genders in languages like Latin). The word urbs (Latin for "city") is a feminine noun, but that doesn't mean a city has female reproductive organs. Just that the society that coined that word chose to assign the feminine gender to it, thereby associating it with the abstract notion of womanhood. And that's the thing about gender — it IS abstract, not about what reproductive capabilities you do or don't have.

Edited by Aanchir

Pretty good question there, xboxtravis! I think I will go with the following regions:

Mata Nui island: Ga-Koro, Le-Koro being a close second

Metru Nui: Ga-Metru is top choice, followed by Ko-Metru.

Voya Nui: doubt I will find any place there pleasant enough to live in :P

Mahri Nui: see above response for Voya Nui

Karda Nui: the top, *not* the swamp section :P

Bara/Spherus Magna: possibly Tesara

Okoto: Region of Water, with Region of Jungle being a close second

Edited by Tahtorak ate my house!

Your left brain contains nothing right, while your right brain contains nothing left.

• 1 month later...

Is the infrastructure for humans really present anywhere in the Bionicle universe (any of them)? I doubt a lot of places have plumbing or running water.

Besides that, I'd like a place that is not too hot, not too cold, not too bright, not underwater, with clean air and that preferably has a vertical element. (Le-Metru?)

Edited by abstractAgamid

Mata Nui: Po-Koro. It's just like the old neighbourhood.

Metru Nui: Po-Metru-Onu-Metru border. Sooo much fun to be had.

Zakaz: On a boat, getting away as fast as I can.

Bara Magna: Hmmm. It's like stereotypical Australia on steroids. Probably Tesara. 'Least there's some green. (and where there's green, there's water. Right guys? Riiiiggghhht?)

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

Mata Nui: Probably somewhere between Ga and Po Koro. Just far enough to stay away from the sea monsters and desert rahi and close enough to stay in pleasant climate and close to water.

Metru Nui: Le Metru, because it just looks awesome in green, deals mainly with transportation (rather that then learning or working forges) and Le Metru matorans do seem a bit more relaxed when compared to their brethren. Also, I like the desing of buildings.

Okoto: Probably Region of Earth, doesnt seem too dark when compared to Onu Koro, yet always seems to be in shadows, so its probably nice and cool, yet not freezing.

Ga-Koro hands down! I love so much nostalgia for that place and it's one of the most beautiful spots in the entire Bionicle universe. Other places would be nice to visit sure, like Karda-Nui, but eventually you realize the scenery and peacefulness of Ga-Koro is too amazing to pass up on. You can swim all the time (and probably will depending on your job), have a sweet and cozy little seaweed hut, sail around on some sick boats, and be surrounded by one of the only sources of ladies in the Bionicle universe (lol I'm so glad they fixed that in G2). Plus, it's pretty easy to get to Ta and Po Koro from there by boat so travel is better. And did I mention it's one of the cultural centers for wisdom and learning? Nokama would be an awesome Turaga! And again, there's no other Koro built quite like Ga-Koro. They have a giant sculpture of one of my favorite mask designs built right into the cliff side!