Poll: Blended Masks, Yea or Nay?

Nescent

Blended Masks: Yea or Nay?  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The new Toa sets coming out in 2016 feature two blended masks each. Their gold masks are blended with transparent colors, and their standard masks are blended with silver.

sCIyLfy.png

What do you think about this design choice? Do you like the silver? Would you have preferred solid colors?

Edited by Nescent
  • Upvote 4

IetTsFQ.png

I don't mind either. They look fine, especially the cool gold masks. It would have been great if we also had options for them in a single color (either of them). But I don't mind it.

I will say, when we got the first blurry images of the set I was really hoping the Toa's masks were just blended with clear rather than silver. I think I would have liked that more, but oh well.

AXKP5KC.png

On the first one, I'm mostly indifferent (a third option might have been best, since two only lets you pick the extremes in either case). I like that they're doing blended masks, but I would have preferred the normal masks to stay a single color, even if this is them in the G2 version of "Nuva." So, I like that they're trying, but this was not a good option.

On the second, I get that it's mostly for visual effect, and it works well. When you have the mask sitting alone, off of the figure, you can tell exactly what power it's meant to have, rather than just being a generic gold. 

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Personally, I agree with the majority here - yes to the gold masks, no to the silver.

Pardon the limited options in the poll, I was hoping for people to expand on their answers in the comments if they didn't have a hard yes/no to either question.

I do like the silver on a few of the Toa - namely Gali, Lewa, and perhaps Pohatu - but on the larger sets it does not work so well, because there is very little silver on Tahu, and little to no silver on Onua. I'd just rather they had solid colors, or that they were blended with something that fit their color schemes better.

The gold masks are a hard yes, though. I loved the 2015 Corrupted masks, in fact I liked them a lot more than the solid gold masks, so no complaints at all there.

IetTsFQ.png

Yea for me! I love both varieties of the new masks. Blended parts can sometimes be harder to use in MOCs than other parts, but in this case it helps that both feature common metallic colors blended with other colors. These masks, unlike this year's drained golden masks, are designed with different motifs on the top and bottom, which improves their look when blended.

I also like the blended creature heads, but I will admit that I prefer the ones that are transparent colors blended with silver (from the creatures that pair with the smaller Toa). My reasoning is that while both styles of head look neat, the silver ones look much better when paired with the Toa's gold blended masks than the gold ones do. On the former, the silver creates the appearance of a sort of "crown" that makes the Toa masks look even more interesting and ornate. On the latter, the gold of the creature heads just blends together with the gold of the Toa masks, creating a bulbous and indistinct combination.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

1. I think the silver-blended masks look good. I would've been nice to get the masks without it as well, but as it is I think that silver looks cool on them.

2. I glad the transparent gold masks are back. The ones we got with the Skull Villains were really cool, and so are these. Except this time we get ones for Tahu and Gali too. :)

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

The silver blend I can deal with. Silver is a fairly neutral color that goes well with most of the Toa colors, and it won't look too crazy when using it in MOCs. The transparent colors and gold masks, however, tend to clash a bit much. It really limits the color choices of MOCs you could include these in. (Honestly, just go back to full-on transparent masks in those colors, I would be all over that.) I am hesitant about the overall idea of blended masks, because it does seem to limit their reusability for MOCs compared to the solid masks of the past. (But I'm sure somebody will create something that uses them excellently.)

:music:

These masks, unlike this year's drained golden masks, are designed with different motifs on the top and bottom, which improves their look when blended.

Hmm, that's a really good point - those "crystals" on their masks really make the blended parts work better. It also helps the masks match those new blended add-ons.

IetTsFQ.png

Gold, silver... It all just reminds me I don't have money to buy the whole 2016 wave on release! :) That's okay though, to be a good AFOL I have to spend my money on a modular or something and not these silly constraction figures :P . (Sarcasm :ahhh: , nobody please take me seriously; I will be getting the 2016 figs once the money is available! Especially Umarak, he'll look good with all the mule deer that like to wander in cities during the winter here in Utah [Hey shouldn't there be a poll about Umarak's blended mask too?])

Edited by Xboxtravis

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

[Hey shouldn't there be a poll about Umarak's blended mask too?])

This poll is specifically about the Toa, but feel free to give your thoughts on Umarak's mask as well.

Gold, silver... It all just reminds me I don't have money to buy the whole 2016 wave on release!

Me neither, time to start scrounging up nickels and dimes so I can get them all ASAP. :P

IetTsFQ.png

I like the solid-colored masks with Silver Metallic highlights. Silver Metallic is a nice neutral color, and goes with just about anything. One piece is generally not enough silver to overcome any model's color scheme IMO. Now, I do wish we had some more non-evil masks that were entirely silver metallic, but those would be better as a "treasure" mask like the gold ones than a default mask color for a team of Toa.

The Warm Gold masks with transparent highlights also look nice, although they could be a bit confusing for some people since those color schemes were just used this year to represent power-drained versions of the Toa masks. Still, they look really incredible and create a great focal point on the three smaller Toa, who otherwise don't use any gold parts.

The crystal texture on the forehead definitely adds a lot to both versions of the new Toa masks. They match the texture of the new add-ons and weapons, and generally feel like more of an "upgrade" than the fleshy, organic look of so many of the 2002 Kanohi Nuva. When the first Kanohi Nuva pictures surfaced, people called them "Kranohi" due to their organic, Krana-like textures, and some thought the Toa Nuva would be a team of evil or corrupted Toa (it doesn't help that the first pics of the Toa Nuva wearing these masks were super-preliminary and had the masks in a grody whitish-pink blend, but I think people might have been confused even by the final, colored version of the masks). These new mask upgrades not only more closely resemble the masks they're based on, but the magical crystal motif makes it look like they're brimming with power.

• Upvote 5

Wow, not as much love for the blended silver masks in this topic as I would've expected.  Did we all forget the 2004 Matoran?

If something new is introduced in a franchise, the respective fandom will hate it until at least a decade passes by.

• Upvote 7

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I'll go with liking both - as some other people have said, the crystalline shapes on the masks work really well with the transparent colours. With the silver, I'm less enthusiastic, but it's nice to have a change; this offers more opportunities for MOCists etc. as well. Besides, silver is fairly neutral, and unlikely to clash with the sets' colour schemes.

Kathok

I think the silver on the regular masks is a nice throwback to the Nuva Story arc (not to mention the Nuva symbols themselves), but on the gold masks, I feel that the transparent colors are there just to be there. The blended gold masks that came with the skull villains had purpose; the villains stole the masks and drained the power. The blended gold masks with the new toa...we don't know the purpose just yet, but I still just can't help but question the choice to do it.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I think the silver on the regular masks is a nice throwback to the Nuva Story arc (not to mention the Nuva symbols themselves), but on the gold masks, I feel that the transparent colors are there just to be there. The blended gold masks that came with the skull villains had purpose; the villains stole the masks and drained the power. The blended gold masks with the new toa...we don't know the purpose just yet, but I still just can't help but question the choice to do it.

Maybe something else LEGO could have done for these sets' gold masks is done gold masks with a silver top, or silver masks with a gold top? Either of those things could have been cool while still maintaining the two-color pattern that complements the crystal pattern on the foreheads.

• Upvote 1

I think the gold fading to silver would've been a great idea. Or just solid gold. I feel like the're overdoing the blended masks off the bat for the year. They were cool in rarities for 2015, but for all of the Toa masks to be blended.

I need to see the sets in hand before I actually judge it. In the photos, I like the silver/primary fade, but the gold just doesn't sit well with me. I just hope that 1. it looks better in person and 2. there is a logical story explanation for it.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I'm pretty ambivalent in regards to the silver blend. I don't mind either way if the normal masks are blended or not. However, I absolutely love the gold with the transparent colours, and it's great to finally see versions for Gali and Tahu. 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I definitely like the golden masks, and i like the color/silver blended ones as well, but I would have preferred ones that match the overall color scheme better.  Tahu and Onua both have gold instead of silver on the rest of the model, so why not give them masks with the top blended into gold?  It doesn't look as bad on Onua, but on Tahu it stands out.

Some of the things that I wanted from future bionicle sets was the following:

-Masks that are blends of different colours

-Transparent pieces

-More technic builds

-Collectible masks

It's almost as if all my complaints about bionicle 2015 have been improved in bionicle 2016!

Edited by LimeFlavouredLibertarian24

-Transparent pieces

-More technic builds

-Collectible masks

It's almost as if all my complaints about bionicle 2015 have been improved in bionicle 2016!

Not quite all of them. I mean, the masks aren't really any more collectible than this year's masks were.

Yeah the new 2016 sets hardly are more collectible, but when both 2015 and 2016 masks are counted together it is a pretty big group:

2015:

Mo Fire: Red, Gold, Transparent, Trans-Orange

Mo Water: Azure, Gold, Trans-Blue

Mo Ice: White, Gold, Blended

Mo Jungle: Green, Gold, Blended

Mo Earth: Black, Gold, Blended

Mo Stone: Burnt Orange, Gold, Blended

Protector Mask: Red Blend, Burnt Orange Blend, Azure Blend, Black Blend, Gold Blend, Green Blend, White Blend

Skull Spider: Silver, Greenish, Dark Blue, Gold

Skull Warrior/Slicer Mask: Silver, Gunmetal, Gold

Skull Basher/Scorpio: Silver, Gunmetal, Trans-Green

Mask of Creation

Creature Masks: (I don't remember all the colors)

Mo FIre: Red Blend, Gold Blend

Mo Water: Azure Blend, Gold Blend

Mo Ice: White Blend, Gold Blend

Mo Jungle: Green Blend, Gold Blend

Mo Earth: Black Blend, Gold Blend

Mo Stone: Burnt Orange Blend, Gold Blend

Mask of Control

Umarak's Mask

I would say the total sum makes for a lot of collectible masks. It might not be as exciting as the Kanohi packs of 2001; but there are still a lot of masks out there to get!

Edited by Xboxtravis

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Yeah the new 2016 sets hardly are more collectible, but when both 2015 and 2016 masks are counted together it is a pretty big group:

2015:

Mo Fire: Red, Gold, Transparent, Trans-Orange

Mo Water: Azure, Gold, Trans-Blue

Mo Ice: White, Gold, Blended

Mo Jungle: Green, Gold, Blended

Mo Earth: Black, Gold, Blended

Mo Stone: Burnt Orange, Gold, Blended

Protector Mask: Red Blend, Burnt Orange Blend, Azure Blend, Black Blend, Gold Blend, Green Blend, White Blend

Skull Spider: Silver, Greenish, Dark Blue, Gold

Skull Warrior/Slicer Mask: Silver, Gunmetal, Gold

Skull Basher/Scorpio: Silver, Gunmetal, Trans-Green

Mask of Creation

Creature Masks: (I don't remember all the colors)

Mo FIre: Red Blend, Gold Blend

Mo Water: Azure Blend, Gold Blend

Mo Ice: White Blend, Gold Blend

Mo Jungle: Green Blend, Gold Blend

Mo Earth: Black Blend, Gold Blend

Mo Stone: Burnt Orange Blend, Gold Blend

Mask of Control

Umarak's Mask

I would say the total sum makes for a lot of collectible masks. It might not be as exciting as the Kanohi packs of 2001; but there are still a lot of masks out there to get!

Oh, most definitely. My point was more that the collectibility of the masks in the new sets is more or less unchanged from this year—it's not like next year's sets are really revolutionary in that respect.

For most of them, I really, really don't like the silver at all. Onua's works. Maybe Kopaka's because it's not that different. But the rest I don't like.. or maybe it's just the masks themselves I don't care for? Not sure yet. But the silver's not helping at any rate.

The transparent blends with gold I don't particularly mind though. I'd have probably preferred full gold, but they aren't all that bad to me.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

-Transparent pieces

-More technic builds

-Collectible masks

Not quite all of them. I mean, the masks aren't really any more collectible than this year's masks were.

The sets coming with extra masks in blended colours is very collectible to me because it reminds me of mask packs, also the blends of their masks look like beautiful pieces of art

I'm not a fan of blended silver masks. Especially on Tahu and Onua, seeing as they have gold in their sets. Single coloured masks would have been better.

Tahu and Onua's colour schemes look so perfect in 2016. Tahu 2015's colour scheme was a trainwreck, he had silver hands and feet and black and gray bones, his bones should look like lava, not black/gray. Onua looks so much better colour scheme wise in 2016 because he doesn't have as much silver. Blended masks feel more collectible to me and they look like they're filled with POWER 

I'm not a fan of blended silver masks. Especially on Tahu and Onua, seeing as they have gold in their sets. Single coloured masks would have been better.

Tahu and Onua's colour schemes look so perfect in 2016. Tahu 2015's colour scheme was a trainwreck, he had silver hands and feet and black and gray bones, his bones should look like lava, not black/gray. Onua looks so much better colour scheme wise in 2016 because he doesn't have as much silver. Blended masks feel more collectible to me and they look like they're filled with POWER 

I liked Tahu's 2015 color scheme way better than his 2016 color scheme. His neutral-colored bones, hands, and feet helped balance out the bright colors of his armor, and I liked how his hands and feet matched both each other and the color of his head. The new one's color scheme doesn't bother me too much, though it could use more red in place of some of the gold or Tr. Flu. Reddish Orange. I like the new Dark Azur accents, which do help his other colors "pop". My bigger issue with Tahu is his incoherent textures. I think his textures might have been improved if the add-ons on his shoulders or forearms had been replaced with more of the new crystal add-ons from his legs.

Onua's color scheme was pretty excellent in both versions, though, and I like that we now have so many more Tr. Bright Bluish Violet parts for MOCs.

Edited by Aanchir

I HATED TAHU'S NEUTRAL COLOURED BONES, IT SHOWED THAT LEGO WANTED TO SAVE MONEY ON RECOLOURS. YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY BRIGHT COLOURS, THAT'S JUST COMMON SENSE TO ME. AT LEAST TAHU'S MORE DETAILED AND G1 LOOKING THAN HIS 2015 VERSION. ALSO I LOVE THE ORANGE ON GALI, IT LOOKS A LOT BETTER THAN HER GUNMETAL IN 2015

Edited by LimeFlavouredLibertarian24