What Makes G2 Bionicle BIONICLE?

Erasmus Graves

So, hey guys, I was just pondering the deep thoughts.

What really makes G2 Bionicle BIONICLE? I mean, they could've called it Stommicle or something like that (though they wouldn't of, because, y'know marketing). What makes this reboot the Bonkle we all know and love? I mean, yes, there are similar concepts and characters with the same names and powers, but what is the inherent Bionicle-ness of G2?

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

The same basic premise:

Six robotic heroes crash-land on a tropical island inhabited by little villagers, with the goal of purging evil from the island.

And like you said, the same characters, the same concepts, and perhaps most importantly, a similar building style. I think that next year's sets take that one step forward with the new piston-heavy pieces.

But, it's hard to compare G1 to G2 - you're comparing one year of sets and story to ten years of it. Like, 2001 is more similar to 2015 than it is to 2007.

• Upvote 8

IetTsFQ.png

Couldn't agree more with Nescent.

While things have changed- the overall concept of Bionicle remains the same: Six heroes fighting to destroy evil. It's just told so differently now from the 1st generation it's hard to really recognize concepts.

As far as sets go- they do seem more "HF" than "Bionicle" but I digress. I feel G2 Bionicle just has a more modern build style now according to Lego.

G2 isn't all that bad. When you take away the details- the concept is the same.

Yeah, I guess. 

I just wanted to hear a few more opinions. They've changed the personalities of the Toa a bit, and the universe as well. I liked Teridax better than this new Makuta.

Those things are relatively small changes in the grand scheme of things, and not unlike what you'd see in any other reboot (Christian Bale's Batman/Bruce Wayne is a good deal different from Michael Keaton's, even if they have similar backstories and motivations).

The changes to the universe were a necessity—both to reduce the complexity of a story that had accumulated lore for ten years, and to avoid essentially telling the exact same story twice. It's worth keeping in mind that the big secret that drove so much of the classic story (that the Great Spirit Mata Nui was in fact a giant robot whom the Matoran and Toa lived inside) is not so secret anymore—and as such, some of the fundamental mysteries of the story need to be radically reimagined in order to avoid making the story too repetitive or predictable.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

A land of small mechanical islanders was once a peaceful place before Makuta's jealousy of his honorable brother resulted in a great cataclysm that radically altered the land's status quo, reducing the islanders' once-great civilization to scattered, desperate villages, remote temples, and eerie abandoned ruins. The evil forces of Makuta are now rising once more, threatening the island's villagers and creatures, and six tall elemental heroes with no memories of their past descend from the heavens to save the day, as was foretold in the island's prophecies. To do so, they have to seek wisdom from the chieftains of the island's six tribes and go on a quest to find magical masks that will grant them even greater power, while avoiding having their own masks taken from them. Along the way they must learn to work together as a team and fight to awaken Makuta's sleeping brother.

With the associated range of colorful, highly posable building sets aimed at ages six and up, kids and adults can create the key players in this story, and use the sets' exciting action play features (like gear-driven movement, shooters, pop-off masks, and dual-function weapons) to bring them to life. There are many characters and masks to collect, and certain characters can be combined for even greater power. The system of interlocking parts can also be used to create any number of original creations. Fans can experience the story through multiple channels such as online animations, chapter books, graphic novels, and online games.

Sounds to me pretty quintessentially Bionicle. If another company released a series like this with another name, it'd be hard to deny what they based it on. In general, I'd say there's more connecting G2 Bionicle with G1 than there is connecting G4 My Little Pony with the generations that preceded it.

Just watched the 2015 animations (pretty late of me to be getting around to it, but still)

Tahu's a Cockney? Pohatu's from South London?

If Lego makes any mistakes in Bionicle for a while, let them know:

ALL IS FORGIVEN.

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

Six Heroes - check

Villagers and elder tribal leaders - check

Makuta - check

A guy asleep - check

Masks - check

Golden masks - check

Toa's elements - most of them are there

Toa's mission to defeat Makuta and his evil servants - check

Despite all of this that makes G2 Bionicle Bionicle, there are some big differences: the Toa have British accents, Pohatu is Batman, they encounter new people and face new villains, took a year to awaken an important good guy, the Toa are like Avengers when they says a keyword that means working together, Onua being Hulk-ish, and Lewa's element being Jungle instead of Air. Despite that last fact, Kopaka made a good reference about Lewa being the Master of Air. Ah, nostalgia.:)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)