The Cartographer's Collection

The Cartographer

Hey there, and thanks for visiting my collection topic!

I started a topic a while back about my cold casting efforts, and I really appreciate the feedback I've gotten. I haven't had much time lately to experiment because of school and work. However, the semester is almost over, so hopefully I'll be back at it again soon! In my small stints of free time, I've been working on a few other digital art projects, and I wanted to share some of them here, with all of you.

My original topic (linked for reference) can be closed if anyone with the authority is reading this. I'm not planning to add anything more to it; that's what this topic is for. All project updates and new submissions will be added to this topic.

The reason I re-created many of the designs below is because there are very few high resolution versions available on the Internet. It also gives me the flexibility to adjust the design if something about it bothers me. I like having a consistent collection of images to pull from when working on different projects. As such, I'm making all of these designs available to anyone who'd like to use them.  I don't need credit, but I'd love to see what you create if you use any of them. I'm doing this as much for the fans of Bionicle as I am for myself. I'm working on several projects now, but if you have a suggestion about what I should do next, please share it!

These designs are very simple, though most have taken many hours to create. The maps/silhouettes took massive amounts of time, as they were traced with a mouse. I'm not really proud of the amount of time I spent on them, but I'm really happy I took the time. Hopefully these can make others happy too.

UPDATE:  March 27, 2017

I've recently gotten back into my groove and experimented with a new mold for the Mata Nui totem.  It's slightly larger than before, and it has a flat bottom, allowing it to sit upright without modifications.  I've been able to produce pretty consistent casts, despite the mold being a single piece.

Click the thumbnails below to see photos of each of the different casts.  I invested in some brass powder to experiment with, and have since made my own compression chamber to eliminate bubbles.  It's been a while since I posted last, but I've been making slow progress, and I'm excited to finally be sharing it!

A quick side note: I'm almost finished with my Metru Nui island graphic, and will post it soon.  It's taking a lot of motivation to get it done, but I'm determined to complete a lot of my on-going projects this year, and Metru Nui is among them.  After that I plan to do Voya Nui, to complete the three "big islands."  My goal is to eventually do every island in the MU, and I'm a bit excited about working on those lesser-known.

As always, questions, comments, and criticisms are always welcome!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resin Casts:

First Mold:                            Second Mold:                       Third Mold:

006a_by_josephkarins_dahl2bw.jpg        008a_by_josephkarins_d9cxahs.jpg        005a_by_josephkarins_db3nxd7.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vector Graphics:

Three_Virtues_Plain_B.pngMask_of_Life.pngLegend_of_Mata_Nui.png     Sundial_Markings.png       Vitruvian_Robot.png

Mata_Nui_Thumb-01.png             Metru_Nui_Thumb-01.png    

Raster Graphics:

Vitruvian_Robot_RGB.jpg

This topic will be edited periodically.  Changes to links may cause temporary inaccessibility to some images.  If you are having troubling clicking through to an image, please let me know!

Thanks again for looking!

Edited by The Cartographer
  • Upvote 13

Vitruvian_Sig_03.png

Really great work! The maps in particular are just so high-quality and amazing. We do appreciate all the effort they took! I'm sure that someone will find cool uses for these, making the effort even more rewarding.

Anyway, I just want to say keep up the great work when you want to! BZP is already a much more awesome place thanks to your efforts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

UPDATE: March 27, 2017

I've recently gotten back into my groove and experimented with a new mold for the Mata Nui totem.  It's slightly larger than before, and it has a flat bottom, allowing it to sit upright without modifications.  I've been able to produce pretty consistent casts, despite the mold being a single piece.

Click the thumbnails to see photos of each of the different casts.  I invested in some brass powder to experiment with, and have since made my own compression chamber to eliminate bubbles.  It's been a while since I posted last, but I've been making slow progress, and I'm excited to finally be sharing it!

A quick side note: I'm almost finished with my Metru Nui island graphic, and will post it soon.  It's taking a lot of motivation to get it done, but I'm determined to complete a lot of my on-going projects this year, and Metru Nui is among them.  After that I plan to do Voya Nui, to complete the three "big islands."  My goal is to eventually do every island in the MU, and I'm a bit excited about working on those lesser-known.

Edited by The Cartographer

Vitruvian_Sig_03.png