2016 LEGO Ninjago ("Skybound") Pictures Appear on Amazon.fr

Amazon.fr has posted final, non-watermarked pictures of several sets from the upcoming wave of LEGO Ninjago. In this wave, the Ninja do battle with the sky pirate crew of the evil djinn Nadakhan in order to retrieve the seven Djinn Blades. At least one set, 70601 Sky Shark, is not included in the new listings. There are also two Ninjago-themed LEGO Juniors sets aimed at ages four to seven, featuring showdowns between the Ninja and Serpentine. The release date of these sets is not yet known. Read on for links to the Amazon listings!

View the full article

These are some amazing sets; the only one I don't like is Misfortune's Keep, but it has Jay with an eyepatch, so it is quite tempting. Man, just what I need, another year where I want ALL the Ninjago sets!

:music:

True! Between the set designs, the minifigures, and the collectible "djinn blades", LEGO has made it very difficult to skip any of these sets. Fortunately, this is a much smaller wave than either the "Tournament of Elements" or "Possession" waves from this year were. Just seven sets and 15 or so new minifigures (not counting the Juniors sets).

Unless I looked at it wrong, it doesn't look like there will be a ghost Cole in these sets. I was kind of looking forward to that figure :P.

The sets do look really cool though. I'm digging those new shoulder pieces some of the ninja have.

Ghost Cole comes in Tiger Widow Island. :) Kind of a shame that Cole's Dragon just has the regular yellow face, though. Makes the ghost face that much more difficult to obtain.

i'll admit, i was hesitant, but Ninjago outdoes itself again! the mix of classic aerial combat and pirates is both evident, and well-blended!

also the dragons being more diverse in structure these days w/ their brick-built heads is neat, (plus, did anyone else catch that creative use of the drill element as a rock spire? nice!)

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Man, seriously? That one big playset comes with ghost Cole and Nya in her new outfit, but the two smallest sets that also come with those characters have a human Cole and Nya in her 2015 duds for no discernable reason. So if you want the new stuff you have to buy the bigger set. That's actually pretty ###### from Lego's part.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna be buyiing any of these. I would have definitely picked up the smallest two if they came with the right minifigures, actually I was planning to pick up the one with the bikes because it was a cheaper option to getting Nya than tthe Bounty before I saw she was in another set with an actually new design, so I'm not into it anymore. I like Jay's dragon for the most part but I don't really like its ear things. The island looks nice, and I'd like to buy it, but eh. It's probably slightly outside my price range and too big for my displays right now, so I'm unsure.

The wave as a lot looks pretty great, but I guess I'll have to see.

AXKP5KC.png

Mmm... dark orange. I can't wait to get my hands on some of those parts. Still, it's going to be very difficult to dismantle such incredible sets. I'm so excited for this wave; Lego really nailed the ramshackle, "could fall apart at any moment" sky pirate look. And there's even a zeppelin!

Oh, and Sensei Wu's hot air balloon and Cole's dragon are just adorable.

Edited by Click

Man, seriously? That one big playset comes with ghost Cole and Nya in her new outfit, but the two smallest sets that also come with those characters have a human Cole and Nya in her 2015 duds for no discernable reason. So if you want the new stuff you have to buy the bigger set. That's actually pretty ###### from Lego's part.

I sort of feel the same way, but on the other hand, I've seen some comments from people who are quite happy about this year's version of Nya being in the Ninja Bike Chase set, since the only sets that included her this year were the $120 Final Flight of Destiny's Bounty and the $200 Temple of Airjitzu. So having her available in a set that probably costs $20 or so makes this version much easier to obtain.

And Tiger Widow Island isn't actually that expensive, judging from what I've seen. Judging from the Toysrus.ca listings from earlier this year, it's only going to be $50 or $60. Not to say that's not expensive, but it's cheaper than any of the sets Nya came in this year (aside from the LEGO Dimensions fun pack that had her in her samurai gear).

• Upvote 1

What changed, behind the scenes? Because between this wave and the Summer one, I'm actually really liking Ninjago. It's actually bothering to do aesthetic pastiches, as opposed to the "Skeleton-thing! Snake-thing! Generic high-tech vehicle!" approach. 

I'm hardly an Otaku, so I could well be wrong, but this wave seems to be taking cues from anime. I believe that the last time we had anything like this was Exo-Force. Oh, and on a different tack, Ninja vs. Pirates!

Also, that monkey... :inlove: 

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

What changed, behind the scenes? Because between this wave and the Summer one, I'm actually really liking Ninjago. It's actually bothering to do aesthetic pastiches, as opposed to the "Skeleton-thing! Snake-thing! Generic high-tech vehicle!" approach.

I don't think there were any big dramatic changes behind the scenes, other than the theme getting recognized as an evergreen theme this year. At least one new designer (Nick Vas, a.k.a. Brickthing) joined the team, his first set to reach shelves being Master Wu Dragon, but I don't think that's the root cause of the sets getting more sophisticated.

Personally, I'd say what we've been seeing is a gradual change towards more sophisticated sets, but it felt abrupt because the designers didn't have as much time to work on the 2014 sets as other years. So the quality dipped a bit that year before getting back on track.

• Upvote 1

I'm really satisfied with these, for the most part. Nice to see Jay taking the spotlight. I also find it awesome that the collectible weapons for this wave are gonna be perfect fits for the theme - from what I could garner, these new elemental swords actually contain the essences of the ninja, so for once we're getting collectible gear that doesn't directly correspond to the included ninja. For the most part I'm fine with this, although it means I might have to dish out more money just to get the set that comes with Zane's Skull Blade (?).

Also, Sensei Wu in an aviator cap! Yo!

• Upvote 1

I'm digging the Tiger Widow island set for a lot of reasons, mostly having to do with trees, spiders, cool signs, and goggled Wu. It's probably going to be at least $70 though. While that's probably reasonable, it's too much for my budget. 

Actually, from what I've heard, Tiger Widow Island is only $50—a pretty great price for a set that unique and interesting. Also, don't forget that it's the only set that includes Ghost Cole and Nya in her new 2016 outfit!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'm digging the Tiger Widow island set for a lot of reasons, mostly having to do with trees, spiders, cool signs, and goggled Wu. It's probably going to be at least $70 though. While that's probably reasonable, it's too much for my budget. 

Actually, from what I've heard, Tiger Widow Island is only $50—a pretty great price for a set that unique and interesting. Also, don't forget that it's the only set that includes Ghost Cole and Nya in her new 2016 outfit!

Sometimes I think you'd be a great marketer for Lego's social media campaigns. :) Seriously, that reads as excellent social media marketing copy. 

Anyway, I'll consider it. :) Although now I'm a little nervous that they made the building hollow and flimsy like Cloud Cuckoo Land. 

Sometimes I think you'd be a great marketer for Lego's social media campaigns. :) Seriously, that reads as excellent social media marketing copy. 

Anyway, I'll consider it. :) Although now I'm a little nervous that they made the building hollow and flimsy like Cloud Cuckoo Land. 

If your social media manager has to rely on hearsay, you can do better. :P

Based on the back pictures, the building doesn't look flimsy, but it's not like it's got a very robust interior, either. The sides don't have walls, but rather are filled out with door frames, with only sparse furnishings. There's not a whole lot to the upper "floors", either, save for the coconut-dropping function (which reminds me positively of some of the classic Ninja sets and their functions). All in all $50 seems like a reasonable price, since it seems slightly smaller than this year's Enter the Serpent. Though personally, I think Tiger Widow Island is a lot more interesting both visually and structurally.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother