Tuma, Two-face?

cjr205

Don't you know? Tuma just goes through fazes where he ignores his intelligence he possesses and embraces the inner single-minded warlord within himself, and he went through one of these fazes as the events of the movie took place. It's the only reasonable explanation!

....Or the movie just represented Tuma very poorly. It could be either one. :P 

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Don't you know? Tuma just goes through fazes where he ignores his intelligence he possesses and embraces the inner single-minded warlord within himself, and he went through one of these fazes as the events of the movie took place. It's the only reasonable explanation!

....Or the movie just represented Tuma very poorly. It could be either one. :P

:P

Tuma doesn't even say GRRRRRRR. He goes IIIIIII!!! a lot.

It's pretty sad that they screwed his personality up so much, ruining his character so drastically. I mean, they had the legendary Fred Tatasciore voicing him! C'mon!

The Skrall have a real 'Greek tragedy' vibe running through their characters, but the filmmakers oversimplified them and got rid of that entirely. Tuma of the books and serials was easily one of the great villains in the Bionicle universe.

He's more anti-villain than most of the antagonists, sometimes veering towards 'anti-hero' more than villain (e.g.. Metus is the ultimate opportunist, out for himself and none other, Ahkmou got brainwashed by Teridax into a deliberately malicious fellow, the Piraka are unabashed cutthroats, traitors and murderers, the Brotherhood of Makuta are a dysfunctional family/organisation who fell from their role as peacekeepers because they craved recognition and acceptance, Sidorak is a foot soldier who happens to be a boss at tactics and  a part-time political animal, Roodaka's a demon and manipulatrix supreme in Vortixx form, willing to sell her soul to the devil for power, and the Dark Hunters just want lots of moolah).

Tuma is a pretty selfless guy in many ways, sacrificing his personal wants for his race (though most definite in making sure he's in charge). He's a remarkably complex character for a one-year villain. His end is quintessential Greek Tragedy, because he's booted out of his position as leader and exiled after somehow getting whupped by a gold-clad nancy-boy. He is, as Richard Adams would put it:

"...a character like the tragic heroes of Ancient Greece, who secured great blessings for their society but paid heavily for their accomplishments in terms of personal suffering."

That's from the 2014  introduction to his second novel, Shardik (great book, but completely unrelated to Bionicle).

OK, Tuma does lose in his battle against Mata Nui, but still, he dedicated his life for the good of his race. And it must have been even worse for him when he is exiled, as he watches the structure of his race's society collapse, leaving nothing but roaming warbands searching for petty plunder. They have been reduced to the state of Bone Hunters, except not quite as skilled in desertcraft and walk instead of ride. All that he has striven for, all that he has created...

...Has come to nothing.

Basically, the moviemakers just failed enormously in translating his complex character to the screen. From what I hear, Greg did a better job in the novelisation, despite the constraints of the film script  (however, I can't judge. I haven't read the novelisation, just the extract that was given at the end of Raid on Vulcanus). 

Edited by Erasmus Graves
  • Upvote 4

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

I saw Legend Reborn before I read Tuma's story and even then I hated him. But after reading all about him, man they screwed up big time. He was an amazing character I wish they could expand on way more

• Upvote 1

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Yeah, Tuma was a superb character in the books and serials with a surprising amount of complexity; The Legend Reborn film really did him a disservice. Greg does his best to explain Tuma's odd incompetence/silliness in the novelization, with some degree of success. If you want to find some way to reconcile the TLR Tuma with the book/serials Tuma, the novelization is your best bet. 

• Upvote 1

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

Yeah, Tuma was a superb character in the books and serials with a surprising amount of complexity; The Legend Reborn film really did him a disservice. Greg does his best to explain Tuma's odd incompetence/silliness in the novelization, with some degree of success. If you want to find some way to reconcile the TLR Tuma with the book/serials Tuma, the novelization is your best bet. 

Thanks, I will try that.