What Sets Are Overrated?

Wazdakka

What sets do you think are overrated?

Those sets that everyone loved, but you never really caught on to the hype for?

Why?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I've seen people rave about Ultimate Dume, which counts since it was sold as a boxed set in some places. Personally, I think that it's pretty ugly, which is pretty much a given for a combiner of sets with such varied colors, although the stick legs and general structure of its body didn't really do any favors either.

~B~

• Upvote 4

I know a lot of people love the Toa Metru sets, but I think that it's overrated. Aside for the extra articulations and unique masks, I don't think there's too much thing that set it apart from other sets. The color scheme on them is boring, the build of each of the sets are exactly the same and while the gear function is nice, it's kinda floppy and also greatly limits the articulations of the arm and there's no way you can pose the upper arms according to your thinking except for removing the arms and placing them in different directions.

The Mata. Yeah, I get it, they were the first of the lot. Sure they're great, and I understand if they are your favourites, I love them too, but I just hear about them too much. 

And the Metru, with boring colours and awkward arm connections. 

• Upvote 3

The Toa Metru:

• The shoulder articulation is worse than the Mata build because the upper arm is directly connected to the geared axle, which makes posing more limited and annoying.
  • The masks also weren't as great and memorable as the originals.
  • Almost full-on clone builds
  • The bushel between the torso and arms looks weird
  • Odd looking proportions (thighs too short, shoulders too big and broad)

The 2015 toa:

• The heavy prioritisation of functions, combined with a lower-than-Star-Wars budget, destroys the aesthetics. Mainly the gearbox's fault.
  • Half of the mask came with fake vents
  • Almost all of them have terrible weapons
  • At least half of the team have black eyes

Hydraxon

• He doesn't look too bad, but he is barely a titan. He has the simplest titan legs possible, and the rest of him was basically a heavily armoured Inika build, relying on big parts and non-custom builds.
  • Suffers from having a a very disproportionately short torso
  • Boring, overused colour scheme

Lhikan and Kikanalo

• Kikanalo seems to the the epitome of clashing textures and a lack of visual unity
  • Lhikan suffers the same flaws of the Metru
  • Lhikan surfs with his foot underneath the board?
  • I actually think Lhikan looks worse than the Metru because of his oversized weapons and the use of black in his colour scheme

Toa Norik and Iruni:

• Iruni's upper-lower leg ratio is way off, Norik's matoran chest armour awkwardly sits in front of the metru torso.
  • Both have poorer hand articulation
  • The rhotuka shield doesn't seem that good: the spinner looks like they would fall off all the time
  • Neither of the two masks were particularly impressive

Takanuva (2008)

• Poor leg shaping, and the lower legs have a huge gap
  • The onua shield makes the upper torso too flat, especially at the shoulders
  • Clawed hands don't really suit Takanuva, and the "thumb" was especially unconvincing with both the look and the stability (cross pin to soft plastic)
  • He basically lacks character compared to the other titans
  • Upvote 1

All the Toa Mata. I'm sorry, but I never got any enjoyment out of them. The sheer lack of articulation completely takes away any playability or poseability with them. 

Although I will admit that the mask-popping game is pretty fun, but it's difficult to do that with a Rahi and a Toa rather than Rahi and Rahi. 

bZpOwEr

I'd say Korgot is the most overrated of the current wave. I just don't get how people can ignore the chest gun. 

I don't ignore it, I think it's one of the things that makes the set cool and unique. I imagine many other people who like the set feel the same way. It's not a flawless set, though — I feel like the color scheme could use more contrast.

In general, I don't like the term "overrated". It always feels to me like a way of policing the things other people like. Obviously, different people like different things. It's fine to dislike something even if a lot of other people like it. But conversely, it's fine for a lot of other people to like something even if you dislike it. I think a lot of the faults being pointed out in this thread are valid, but if there are people who aren't bothered by those faults, then their love of those sets is still just as valid.

I do think that there are times when people should try and be more mindful of a set's faults. Sometimes people criticize newer sets for faults that were just as applicable to the sets they grew up loving. Like criticizing the width of the Toa Inika shoulders while praising the Toa Metru whose shoulders were pretty much just as wide. Or complaining about the 2015 Toa builds being too simple while praising the much simpler Toa Hagah. As long as you're aware of a set's faults, though, it's your call whether they make you like the set any less.

And it's also good to remember that sometimes the reasons you like or dislike a set are just personal preference and not things that are objectively "right" or "wrong" about it. I personally don't like how tall the 2016 Onua set is because I prefer him to be shorter and more muscular, but that doesn't make it a bad set. It just doesn't fit with how I choose to see the character. I can certainly understand why some people like him as much or more than the 2015 version.

• Upvote 2

Most of the Glatorian series . I don't really know why it just never hit me . I could never understand what was so special about them

Most of the Glatorian series . I don't really know why it just never hit me . I could never understand what was so special about them

:miru:  :voyanui: If anyone wants to learn how to speak Romanian contact me via private message .  :voyanui:  :miru:

A lot of people hate the Glatorian sets. I'm not sure what's overrated about them.

Personally I think that they're very underrated because of the fact that so many people hate them for their inika builds and flimsy plastic. 

bZpOwEr

A lot of people hate the Glatorian sets. I'm not sure what's overrated about them.

Personally I think that they're very underrated because of the fact that so many people hate them for their inika builds and flimsy plastic. 

That's another issue with terms like "overrated" or "underrated". It's based on the assumption that a lot of people really like or dislike a particular thing, when really it's easy to hear just a few people saying something and mistakenly assume it's widespread, or not hear anybody saying something and assume it's inconsequential. I've known plenty of AFOLs who have no clue how popular themes like Ninjago, Bionicle, Friends, and Minecraft are because people in their immediate circle of friends and colleagues don't like them. Sometimes, the narrative you're used to hearing doesn't actually reflect popular opinion in the community as a whole.

I find it's a lot easier to judge sets on their individual merits, and agree or disagree with people on an individual basis, than to worry about what the community as a whole thinks about particular sets.

• Upvote 2

I think some of the Glatorian sets are overrated. It was a big switch up from what we were used to, but people still rave about hand pieces and I just don't get it. Never cared for hand pieces at all

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I only had one Glatorian as a kid - Malum.

Now, I'm trying to hunt them down - I've added Skrall, Strakk, and Vorox. I adore them. They are arguably the best, most advanced, evolved use of the Inika/Piraka build that Bionicle has ever seen. They went back to classic colors, had unique weapons and armor, and even custom builds (Strakk and Skrall had custom torsos, Vorox has a tail). It was Bionicle's final years, so the designers had all the previous years of experience to make the some of the best canister sets we'd ever seen. 

TL;DR. They're simply some of the most unique and best Inika-build sets in Bionicle. 

• Upvote 3

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I'd say the Piraka. In terms of the story they were really cool, but I hated how generic and same-y the sets were, maybe it was just that at that point I was tired of clone sets? After two or three waves of canister sets that were basically just palette swaps of each other with different masks and weapons and no real differences (at least there was a slight bit of variation in the Toa Metru, some were taller than others, some had longer necks, ect)

Also the Bohrok never appealed much to me for the same reason of being clones. The Toa Mata all had similar builds but there had subtle differences, (Onua's hunchback, Pohatu being build upside-down, each one had a different type of weapon) while the Bohrok all had the same number of pieces and they all did the same, except a different shield mold. At least they had bright and vibrant color schemes unlike the Kal, but I can hardly call them overrated since they don't seem to be well liked around here.

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-

I'd say the Piraka. In terms of the story they were really cool, but I hated how generic and same-y the sets were, maybe it was just that at that point I was tired of clone sets? After two or three waves of canister sets that were basically just palette swaps of each other with different masks and weapons and no real differences (at least there was a slight bit of variation in the Toa Metru, some were taller than others, some had longer necks, ect)

Also the Bohrok never appealed much to me for the same reason of being clones. The Toa Mata all had similar builds but there had subtle differences, (Onua's hunchback, Pohatu being build upside-down, each one had a different type of weapon) while the Bohrok all had the same number of pieces and they all did the same, except a different shield mold. At least they had bright and vibrant color schemes unlike the Kal, but I can hardly call them overrated since they don't seem to be well liked around here.

Well, the Piraka weren't completely clones. They had two sets of feet. :)

Well, the Piraka weren't completely clones. They had two sets of feet. :)

And Avak's right forearm was reversed. 

bZpOwEr

Antroz and Vamprah - while aesthetically pleasing, elegantly designed with good colour schemes, great variations in design and amazing masks - have quite limited hand movements (because their hands are curved blades, causing limited pose-ability hand-wise). But other than that, they're pretty good sets.

On a side note, I am not particularly fond of the gear system. When they did away with it, sets' articulation improved a lot. 

To all you Glatorian haters out there: The Glatorian are simply some of the best sets who use the Inika build. Out of all the sets I own, the Glatorian ones are my favourite when it comes to look. They have some of the best articulation out there, coupled with great weapons and design.

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

Honestly, the original bohrok. I still really like them, but they are all literally the same sets with different colors and weapons. Actually, I've never been partial to clone sets, but I'm definitely not alone there.

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

Toa Metru. They're great, but their color are boring.

(Also, I LOVE clone sets. Fite me (ง'̀-'́)ง )

Bruh, I'm buff as heck

jk to each his own. Although I agree with you on the Metru having boring color schemes. Especially considering they were the first to use the less vibrant darker shades you'd think they'd at least give some nicer secondary colors.

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-