Set Review: 71305: Lewa - Uniter of Jungle

Lewa Uniter Teaser Image

It's time for another BZPower set review, and today we're swinging high with 71305 Lewa, Uniter of Jungle. Does the latest iteration of our favorite green Toa soar high into the sky, or is he just full of hot air? BZPower Reporter Xccj takes a look at him in both a video and picture review, so watch or read to see for yourself.

View the full article

• Upvote 1

I think his weapons may be meant to be tonfa. Which I think's pretty spiffy.

Look at you and your fancy "know words of real world things." :P

Yeah, you're probably right about that. So in that case, "hard to pose" really means "they are not supposed to be held like regular swords." :sly:

:music:

From everything I've seen and read in this review and elsewhere, mine is clearly a horrendously unpopular opinion, but I actually really like Lewa's lower leg design. I appreciate the creative use of those armour pieces, instead of opting for another boring CCBS shell and limb. 

That said, it probably helps that I buy solely for parts, so it really doesn't matter much to me what the sets look like anyway...

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Teaser

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I think the 'green spikes' are intended to look like part of the weapons Lewa has.

Lewa's probably one of my favourite Toa this wave, along with Pohatu and Onua. I think the green and silver works very well for Lewa, but he could use a bit more regular yellow (not the orangey yellow).

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

the custom limb stuff is neat-o-beans, seeing the '15='16 comparison pic and feeling the Mistika creeping back up on us? not neat-o-beans. :t

Considering the theme still has bright primary colors, masks that look like the characters they're meant to represent, and unique and original builds, I think comparisons to the Mistika are misplaced. The silver on the Mistika was hardly their worst feature—heck, it was probably the one thing that they carried over from the original Toa Nuva depictions. The color schemes may have been bland but that was more due to combining the silver with the dark and dingy Metru colors, which is a big part of why I preferred the more brightly-colored Phantoka.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

OK-ish review, though I'm really surprised how much you found to complain about. IMO, the upper arm and lower leg construction are both beautiful and brilliant. I don't see how the kneecap ruins its "flow".

I actually think the new mask looks quite a lot like the classic Miru, arguably more so than the Mask of Jungle already did due to the eyeholes being longer and the "grin" being more pronounced. Of course, its jaw is less squared off, but that's not a feature that ever made that much sense for the youthful Lewa anyway. I think a pointier jaw suits him.

I will agree that the feet look too tall, which is a problem with all the 2016 Toa. A number of people I know are getting tired of this foot piece and want it to just go away, and while I'm not in that camp, I do agree that a friction joint just throws off its proportions. Of course, without the friction joint, his legs wouldn't really be long enough for the torso. I'm still a bit bothered by how long these Toa's torsos are... it seems to create more problems than it solves.

It's rather bizarre how the instructions have you assemble the set's lower arms. It seems like just plain common sense to rotate the lower arm beam ninety degrees so the elbow has more backwards-and-forwards motion than side-to-side motion. I know I'll be doing that when I get the set.

I do think that Lewa could use some more contrasting color, preferably some more Bright Yellow like Uxar uses. Even though he's without a doubt the most coherent-looking of the new Toa, his colors don't really "pop" the way Gali's do. Even Tahu's got some brilliant Dark Azur accents.

In spite of all these faults, Lewa is still my favorite of the new Toa designs, and looks fantastic both on his own and combined with his creature. I look forward to adding him to my collection.

• Upvote 1

I like this guy.  The silver and green match together really well, and I am loving those weapons.  At first glance, they looked awkward and clunky... and then I realized they're Darth Maul lightsabers on swivel joints.  Actually, the whole design isn't unlike something I tried for a Toa of Poison I made, where she had long blades running up her arms and spikes like push-daggers built into the hilts.

...to be honest, I'm getting a LOT of vibes here from models I've made.  The custom limbs are kindof like stuff I've done too, and I think they work quite well for the legs.

As noted, the linked form is absolutely fantastic, though Uxar's trans-green looks more... yellow than Lewa's.  I dunno.  They don't seem to match completely in the photos, I hope that's not the case with the sets.  I don't think he's a mediocre set at all, I really like him.  Maybe even more than Pohatu, and that takes some doing.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Green and silver color scheme works

Uh, no it doesn't. It looks really bad. There's clearly an overload of silver on him.

You do realize that's subjective and just your opinion, right? You're neither right or wrong. Learn to accept the ideas of other people as well as your own. 

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the tonfas. It's so creative, not to mention it's a weapon that BIONICLE really hasn't used before unlike your traditional swords, axes, and spears. I'm glad they're using a lesser known weapon and making it shine. Lewa really does deserve to have weapons that differentiate him from the other sword and spear users unlike back when he became a Toa Nuva. 

Edited by Tarvaxx

the custom limb stuff is neat-o-beans, seeing the '15='16 comparison pic and feeling the Mistika creeping back up on us? not neat-o-beans. :t

Considering the theme still has bright primary colors, masks that look like the characters they're meant to represent, and unique and original builds, I think comparisons to the Mistika are misplaced. The silver on the Mistika was hardly their worst feature—heck, it was probably the one thing that they carried over from the original Toa Nuva depictions. The color schemes may have been bland but that was more due to combining the silver with the dark and dingy Metru colors, which is a big part of why I preferred the more brightly-colored Phantoka.

Despite all intent, i wouldn't call the bright green the "bright primary color" given it covers less of his body than the silver does, which, by the way, was the only thing i was pointing out when i referred to the mistika.

(of note though is the Phantoka colorschemes weren't much better, despite having bright colors, they still mostly fell secondary to their neutral-tone, Grey. :t)

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I admit that 2016 Lewa doesn't look as good as 2015 Lewa to me. Though I didn't like the latter at first either, but he became one of my favorite 2015 sets after I got him. As for 2016 Lewa, I might get him and Uxar sometime in the future, as I think their combo form looks really cool.

Thanks for the review!

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Love Lewa's mask. Reminds me of the Miru Nuva with its sharp angles. The custom built part is great, but I really see lackluster weapons this year overall. 

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

While he doesn't strike me as good as his Master form I have to say that Lewa is pretty good. I'd go as far to say that he's one of the best Toa of this wave. Of course his rather dull colors are disappointing, but his overall aerodynamic look is great. The leg build might be the best custom limb which is nice. Not to mention his combination is magnificent in every way.

On the tonfas. I'm not really a fan of them. I'm fine (but not ecstatic) about the tonfa weapon itself, but I don't like it here in terms of both looks and playability. The way he holds them often looks awkward and I already dread constantly posing the rotating blade. I'm probably going to change them for another weapon.

16311869655_9f57a9bb3b.jpg

Who touched Sasha! WHO TOUCHED MY GUN!

Lewa looks very cool. I like his armor, masks, and double-bladed swords. How the armor is designed is very cool. The masks look neat. How the swords are designed is epic.:)

However, how the arms and legs are designed are not too impressive. I mean, why having piston his knees? His arms look a bit short. How he holds the swords seem strange. Maybe he is holding them like that because they can also be used as helicopter blades? That would be cool. Plus, I agree with the fact that Lewa looks better with Uxar United with him.:)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I'm not a huge fan of Lewa's weapons or colorscheme, he needs more bright green, transparent pieces or some yellow & his spinning tonfas are too large to be wielded properly.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

OK-ish review, though I'm really surprised how much you found to complain about. IMO, the upper arm and lower leg construction are both beautiful and brilliant. I don't see how the kneecap ruins its "flow".

I actually think the new mask looks quite a lot like the classic Miru, arguably more so than the Mask of Jungle already did due to the eyeholes being longer and the "grin" being more pronounced. Of course, its jaw is less squared off, but that's not a feature that ever made that much sense for the youthful Lewa anyway. I think a pointier jaw suits him.

I will agree that the feet look too tall, which is a problem with all the 2016 Toa. A number of people I know are getting tired of this foot piece and want it to just go away, and while I'm not in that camp, I do agree that a friction joint just throws off its proportions. Of course, without the friction joint, his legs wouldn't really be long enough for the torso. I'm still a bit bothered by how long these Toa's torsos are... it seems to create more problems than it solves.

It's rather bizarre how the instructions have you assemble the set's lower arms. It seems like just plain common sense to rotate the lower arm beam ninety degrees so the elbow has more backwards-and-forwards motion than side-to-side motion. I know I'll be doing that when I get the set.

I do think that Lewa could use some more contrasting color, preferably some more Bright Yellow like Uxar uses. Even though he's without a doubt the most coherent-looking of the new Toa, his colors don't really "pop" the way Gali's do. Even Tahu's got some brilliant Dark Azur accents.

In spite of all these faults, Lewa is still my favorite of the new Toa designs, and looks fantastic both on his own and combined with his creature. I look forward to adding him to my collection.

Really, why are they against using longer bone pieces?

But they use the friction extender pieces anyway.

Using longer bone pieces would solve two problems - the short limbs and the use of the extender pieces. That piece is mostly equivalent to one pinhole length; using a 1-longer hip piece on both Gali and Lewa and getting rid of that piece would result in a better look, and Gali could use a 2-longer shin piece and get rid of those ankle pieces as well.

They both could use a 1-longer forearm as well.

Edited by abstractAgamid

Using longer bone pieces would solve two problems - the short limbs and the use of the extender pieces. That piece is mostly equivalent to one pinhole length; using a 1-longer hip piece on both Gali and Lewa and getting rid of that piece would result in a better look, and Gali could use a 2-longer shin piece and get rid of those ankle pieces as well.

You act as though the extender parts are something to be avoided. Granted, they look slightly off and are almost certainly the reason they've used shorter shin pieces on all six Toa, but they also give the Toa much needed friction to help bear the weight of a ten dollar set on their back added to their own weight. Also, who doesn't like the part? They're useful to have in large numbers and I'd be more than happy to get several with each set I get. Remember that these are supposed to be good toys above all else, looks are not the top priority when it comes to a design aspect such as this.

True, it'd be nice if some of the sets had longer arms, but that would probably interfere with how easily their body would swing from the gear function.

"All magic comes with a price, dearie!" -The Dark One

I'm known on the LMB's as Brickobotface, Teh Dark One is merely a fad. :P

The extender pieces are being used for friction, not length. Chances are the reason all these sets use them in the hips and ankles is so that you can keep the creatures attached to the Toa without the joints sagging from having to support the weight of two sets. It's the same reason 2004–2007 Bionicle titan sets used the old style of friction joint. There are few sets that use the friction joint strictly for length. And while it might not seem like a set needs the extra friction right when it comes out of the box, time and play can take a toll on Bionicle joints. The LEGO Group has a number of tests they do to ensure the stability of a model, including a "heat test" where they put the model in an oven to simulate a year in direct sunlight, which shows them any weak spots in a model's design.

And LEGO definitely isn't afraid of using longer beam pieces. Tahu's got 6M beams in his lower legs and 7M beams in his upper legs, which is part of what makes his upper legs look so long and lanky. Kopaka uses 6M beams for his upper and lower legs, Onua uses 6M beams for his lower legs, and Gali uses 6M beams for her upper legs. In several of these sets the lower leg beams are actually brand-new recolors for these parts, so it doesn't seem likely that the LEGO Group was trying to cut costs by using beams in these sizes.

Frankly, I think the issue with these sets isn't that the legs are too short, but that the torsos are too long. I was quite happy with the proportions of the 2015 sets, but these ones increase the length of the torsos by two modules, and on the smaller sets, also raise the shoulders up an additional module. I can sort of understand why it was done, but it still seems like a poor choice to me. I saw a comparison photo of the 2015 and 2016 Pohatu on Facebook yesterday, and the 2016 version just looks weird and stretched compared to his shorter and stockier 2015 counterpart.

The extender pieces are being used for friction, not length. Chances are the reason all these sets use them in the hips and ankles is so that you can keep the creatures attached to the Toa without the joints sagging from having to support the weight of two sets. It's the same reason 2004–2007 Bionicle titan sets used the old style of friction joint. There are few sets that use the friction joint strictly for length. And while it might not seem like a set needs the extra friction right when it comes out of the box, time and play can take a toll on Bionicle joints. The LEGO Group has a number of tests they do to ensure the stability of a model, including a "heat test" where they put the model in an oven to simulate a year in direct sunlight, which shows them any weak spots in a model's design.

And LEGO definitely isn't afraid of using longer beam pieces. Tahu's got 6M beams in his lower legs and 7M beams in his upper legs, which is part of what makes his upper legs look so long and lanky. Kopaka uses 6M beams for his upper and lower legs, Onua uses 6M beams for his lower legs, and Gali uses 6M beams for her upper legs. In several of these sets the lower leg beams are actually brand-new recolors for these parts, so it doesn't seem likely that the LEGO Group was trying to cut costs by using beams in these sizes.

Frankly, I think the issue with these sets isn't that the legs are too short, but that the torsos are too long. I was quite happy with the proportions of the 2015 sets, but these ones increase the length of the torsos by two modules, and on the smaller sets, also raise the shoulders up an additional module. I can sort of understand why it was done, but it still seems like a poor choice to me. I saw a comparison photo of the 2015 and 2016 Pohatu on Facebook yesterday, and the 2016 version just looks weird and stretched compared to his shorter and stockier 2015 counterpart.

That begs the question of why they didn't just make the the regular bone joints stronger.

That begs the question of why they didn't just make the the regular bone joints stronger.

The answer is that that would be absurdly expensive and impractical. The friction joints are coinjected with regular Polycarbonate and a rubbery "core" that rubs against the ball joint and provides extra friction. They also probably need a mold that includes one or more "sliders", to allow for cavities in the part that ordinary molds couldn't produce. Regular CCBS bones, on the other hand, use only one type of plastic, with one injection point, and generally just a basic two-piece mold. Coinjected parts cost more than ordinary parts (due to needing more complex molds and making it impossible to recycle defective parts) and can't even be produced in the same quantities as standard parts, since Lego has fewer molding machines that are even equipped to coinject parts. And replacing the entire range of bones with coinjected varieties would cost exponentially more than introducing a single new part that can be added to any other standard ball cup. And even if you did all that, the added friction might even be a BAD thing on smaller models.

Alternatively, you could make the joints tighter to give them more friction instead. That would probably also make them harder to put together (putting a serious damper on the easy-to-snap-together CCBS system) and would probably make them more fragile, too (since the parts would be under that much more stress when attaching or detaching them). I don't think either of those would be worthwhile tradeoffs.

Edited by Lyichir

1: "Technic design on the lower legs looks ugly"

I actually love this design, I find it innovative and reminicist of certain G1 sets.

2: "Hip swivel function is problematic"

It what sense?

3: "Two friction joints per leg make posing problematic"

Over time, they become more, erm, cooprative, for lack of a better word. Plus, without these friction joints, it actually becomes harder to pose the sets, as the bones lose friction over time.

4: "Weapons are positioned oddly"

Agreed, if he ever were to get in to a sword fight, they'd be extremely awkward.

5: "What's with the green spikes on his hands?"

Those are parts of the handles of the weapons.

6: "On his own, he's not very remarkable looking"

I respectfully disagree with this. I think he's quite remarkable, with and without Uxar.

7: "To form his cool Uniter mode, you need to buy Uxar"

Yeah, I wish they sold the Uniters and Creatures together, just like Kopaka and Melum.

I think Lewa looks pretty solid. The lime-on-gray is probably the weakest point in the set - wish they had used Bright Green instead. 

Thanks for the review!

Do you mean on the torso shell printing? Because he doesn't use lime anywhere else in his build...

Personally, I don't mind the lime—he had the same colors (lime and yellow) on his chest print this year, and it didn't detract from his look.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

I think Lewa looks pretty solid. The lime-on-gray is probably the weakest point in the set - wish they had used Bright Green instead. 

Thanks for the review!

Do you mean on the torso shell printing? Because he doesn't use lime anywhere else in his build...

Personally, I don't mind the lime—he had the same colors (lime and yellow) on his chest print this year, and it didn't detract from his look.

He uses lime green Bohrok eyes. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the review!

Those are trans bright green, I think it's just the lighting makes them look more yellowish than they are.

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

Thanks for the review!

Those are trans bright green, I think it's just the lighting makes them look more yellowish than they are.

Yup, Trans. Bright Green. Which, incidentally, makes that only the fourth Lego part that comes in all six G2 "elemental" transparent colors (the other three being 2x2 radar dishes, 4x4 radar dishes, and thanks to Nexo Knights, 4M lightsaber blades). I definitely appreciate getting that part in that color and they look good on Lewa.

• Upvote 3