Bionicle Graphic Novel Excerpt and More

2015-12-22_Bionicle_Graphic_Novel_teaser

Earlier today, Kim Thomsen from the LEGO AFOL Relations & Programs team sent us an early Christmas present! If you continue on, you'll find cover art, an excerpt, and poster images from the upcoming Bionicle graphic novel, Gathering of the Toa. It's awesome to get a sneak peek into what we can expect on December 29th, and much appreciated. A big thanks to Kim and the team for sending them our way!

View the full article

• Upvote 1

Meh. Can't say I particularly care for the art style (it's not bad necessarily, it just doesn't particularly appeal to me) and the use of the G1 Vahi feels cheap to me. Hopefully maybe it'll* change between now and release (those odds are so low, I can't even think of anything else equally low to make a comparison to it.)

* 'It' being the Vahi, not the art style

Forever remember the Podu

R.I.P. Hahli, Lesovikk, and Ehlek. Died of Green Plastic Syndrome.

Pridaddy will always be with us

I'm iffy on this. The copy/pasted prototype Vahi is bad enough, but it could be that they photoshopped the original drawing out and replaced it with that. Because if you look at the page just before that scene, there's a shot of the Protectors standing around something that looks like part of a mask in the corner of the panel, and it looks nothing like the Vahi or any of the Protectors' masks. 

I suppose we'll see when it comes out.

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Because if you look at the page just before that scene, there's a shot of the Protectors standing around something that looks like part of a mask in the corner of the panel, and it looks nothing like the Vahi or any of the Protectors' masks.

I think that is the silhouette of the Protector of Stone's mask. In that frame, they're still outside, so the Vahi wouldn't be there.

IetTsFQ.png

"Help! Don't let the spider take my mask!"

Such riveting dialogue. 

• Upvote 5

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I like the art style. Looks so swag when the Protectors look more humanoid.:) However, they look taller than being midgets in their sets and animation forms.

It's also interesting that the islanders have slightly different shaped masks and are more evident to have romance and can reproduce. Makes me think they are could be G2's Agori. Plus, it's also evident that an islander at all can be male or female, doesn't matter what tribe they are in.

It's amazing to see that the Protectors are their villages' heroes before the Toa show up. I mean, they fight and protect people like Toa. I find that impressive.:)

I am not impressed with how the Mask of Time appeared in one of the pages. It looks like a prototype of the G1 mask being copied and pasted. I think I noticed you guy kept saying that it could be a half of the G1 mask, but this doesn't look like it. Hmm... It seems disappointing. Hopefully, the design would change in the future.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Has anyone else noticed that they mixed up Vizuna and Narmoto in that one shot?

Don't think you're the only one who's noticed. The art style is nice, it's pretty slick and clean, but darnit... you can see several instances in the later pages where the actually character designs are mixed up or change drastically from page to page. I guess the people drawing/coloring this thought the Protectors all looked the same and couldn't get them right.

• Upvote 1

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

This preview kind of reminds me of the Island of Lost Masks. It starts out with new content, but then ends with a part of the story we've already seen. Hopefully what follows this preview will be new content instead of stuff we've already seen.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

It's beautiful, I love it! Comics were a big thing missing for me in gen2, now we get graphic novels so I'm happy. I like the art style but the dialogue is terrible and doesn't always seem grammatically correct. Nevertheless, I look forward to getting these.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

g1 g2 connected confirmed?

No.

Connected doesn't have to mean "continuation", does it ? I wouldn't mind it if this and possible future reboots are all "connected" by a common factor, in this case the Vahi being around in each "reboot universe".

I don't really want a continuation of the G1, but a minuscule connection where each universe has a Vahi is something I most certainly can live with :P

-Iben

pVcwLHX.png

"Unity, Duty, Destiny."

It's beautiful, I love it! Comics were a big thing missing for me in gen2, now we get graphic novels so I'm happy. I like the art style but the dialogue is terrible and doesn't always seem grammatically correct. Nevertheless, I look forward to getting these.

Any chance Greg can come back for the next novel to improve the dialogue then? He had his flaws as a writer, but he knew how to manage quick comic dialogue.

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Protector of THE sounds awkward, only works with Jungle. Still, really cool poster art with the Protector names to boot!

I really like the cover art and I wasn't too stoked on the art in the actual graphic novel when I initially saw it, but you know what? It's alright. It's stylized and has character. So whatever. More like Sayger than D'anda, that's for sure. Should be a fun read and I can't wait for Gathering of the Toa to come tomorrow.

And the Vahi... lolwut. 

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg