Edited by * Monty *
  • Upvote 1

gb_civil_war_ara_banner_2.jpg 
Proud Graphics Artist.
Current 2015 collection:

I have them all :P

green = all, blue = partial, black = none

Only non-promotionals counted

I don't see why Ekimu wouldn't have made the Mask of Time.  As far as we know, he and Makuta were the only people capable of making masks of power, and since this mask actually seems useful, it was probably Ekimu who made it.

Not only that, he made the Golden Masks of Power worn by the Toa for this year; that's why he can communicate with them even in sleep. This may further prove him to be the maker of the Mask of Time, because he had made six Golden Masks of Power used for enhancing the powers of other beings and communicating with them, but then he would need something to get those beings into the same general area as his own for them to claim the masks. That "something" possibly being the Mask of Time used by the Protectors.

• Upvote 1

The most delicious irony would be if Makuta made the mask of time this time, and actually intended for it to be used. That looks like a placeholder graphic for the MoT, since it doesn't seem to gel with the rest of the picture. Conspicuous CG, in other words.

Just picture Ekimu and Makuta deciding that Makuta would make the MoT, Ekimu the Golden Masks. When the protectors saw Ekimu coming out with six masks where Makuta only had one, they hail Ekimu as the better mask maker, without realising that the MoT is the greater achievement. And from there, the story goes...

• Upvote 7

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

That looks like a placeholder graphic for the MoT, since it doesn't seem to gel with the rest of the picture. Conspicuous CG, in other words.

Yeah I agree, that's what I thought at first glance as well. It could be a finalized graphic but...it's weird that it looks like that.

I'm less interested in its origin than I am its powers. Is it as powerful as G1 MoT? I doubt it but who knows. And what does it do? Slow time like G1 MoT? Enable time travel?

• Upvote 1

Can anyone with the graphic novel confirm if that was a placeholder graphic or not? I know G1 used to do this a lot but G2 so far has been a lot more consistent with content so I hope they aren't just using the Vahi as a placeholder because they didn't know what the mask would look like... Use a silhouette, show it from an obscuring angle... This being a placeholder would just be lazy.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Can anyone with the graphic novel confirm if that was a placeholder graphic or not? I know G1 used to do this a lot but G2 so far has been a lot more consistent with content so I hope they aren't just using the Vahi as a placeholder because they didn't know what the mask would look like... Use a silhouette, show it from an obscuring angle... This being a placeholder would just be lazy.

-NotS

You mean did the final graphic novel use the same graphic? Yes (no surprise, really, since the preview pages were released mere days before the release of the book). What's especially frustrating is that later in the "Okoto Protector's Guide" it gives additional information about the G2 Mask of Time that directly contradicts the depiction in the comic—the Mask of Time used by the Protectors is the TOP half, and that the bottom half's location and appearance are unknown. No visual clues there, either—the book just uses a silhouette of the Mask of Fire as a visual for that section.

Chances are that the G2 Mask of Time's appearance is still far from finalized, and as such the artist was forced to use the prototype from G1 as a placeholder. But I still think it'd have been better if they had left the mask off-frame in the comics like they did in the animations.

One last note—the Mask of Time is not the only thing that wasn't finalized in that section of the comics. The Temple of Time also looks very different than it did in the animations, resembling an hourglass-shaped tower instead of a larger temple with a swinging pendulum.

• Upvote 5

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Place holder or not, that is the canon Mask for the time being. Frustrating, a bit. But I am displaying my Vahi with my Gen 2 sets right now since it seems to be getting more use with the Protectors than it ever did with Vakama or Tahu.

I hope the finalized Mask if Time for G2 looks a bit like a Vahi, for easter egg sake.

• Upvote 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

I hope the finalized Mask if Time for G2 looks a bit like a Vahi, for easter egg sake.

Well, yeah, I certainly hope the G2 Mask of Time bears SOME resemblance to the G1 version, same as the Toa's masks bear SOME resemblance to their G1 counterparts' masks. That's not really an easter egg, it's just showing your work and (as they said at the NYCC presentation) "respecting the roots".

At the same time, the new tidbit about the Protectors' Mask of Time being the top half leads me to wonder how the Bionicle team might realize the Mask of Time in the sets if we ever get to a point where they intend to do that.

• Upvote 1

At the same time, the new tidbit about the Protectors' Mask of Time being the top half leads me to wonder how the Bionicle team might realize the Mask of Time in the sets if we ever get to a point where they intend to do that.

I thought the G1 Vahi was the bottom half of the G2 Mask of Time? That seems to be the most intuitive way to make a second half. Unless they turn it upside down or something really weird. 

• Upvote 1

I thought the G1 Vahi was the bottom half of the G2 Mask of Time? That seems to be the most intuitive way to make a second half. Unless they turn it upside down or something really weird.

My point is, in a set that might not be very practical — we don't know if the G1 Vahi mold is still available, and regardless, it's not designed with connecting to another mask (or to a G2 head) in mind. I suppose you could have the top half stretch down and have an anti-stud so you can connect the bottom half to the top half the same way you would with a G1 set's "mouth". But it makes me wonder if LEGO might actually redesign the bottom half AND design a new top half for it. *shrug*

• Upvote 2

You mean did the final graphic novel use the same graphic? Yes (no surprise, really, since the preview pages were released mere days before the release of the book). What's especially frustrating is that later in the "Okoto Protector's Guide" it gives additional information about the G2 Mask of Time that directly contradicts the depiction in the comic—the Mask of Time used by the Protectors is the TOP half, and that the bottom half's location and appearance are unknown. No visual clues there, either—the book just uses a silhouette of the Mask of Fire as a visual for that section.

That is frustrating, but I guess inconsistencies in depictions were bound to happen eventually. Especially as the franchise gets bigger.

My point is, in a set that might not be very practical — we don't know if the G1 Vahi mold is still available, and regardless, it's not designed with connecting to another mask (or to a G2 head) in mind. I suppose you could have the top half stretch down and have an anti-stud so you can connect the bottom half to the top half the same way you would with a G1 set's "mouth". But it makes me wonder if LEGO might actually redesign the bottom half AND design a new top half for it. *shrug*

What is cool is that the G1 Vahi (if it is the bottom half) connects via the mouth, whereas a G2 Mask of Time would end up connecting by the top of the head. That's really cool and I hope they release the top half on its own for that reason alone. If the story ever features both halves combining, then they can make a new mold that combines the two parts. 

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Agreed. 

What I'm trying to say is this whole situation is very confusing. In G1, the Vahi covered the bottom half of the face, so I thought they were going to design a top half for it to connect to the top half of the face. 

But now, they seem to be saying that the Protectors' mask of time is the G1 Vahi shape, and that is the top half of the mask. Which doesn't make very much sense.

I guess you could argue that they didn't confirm the "Protectors' Vahi" to be a certain shape, but it seems highly implied that it is G1 Vahi shaped.

• Upvote 1

But now, they seem to be saying that the Protectors' mask of time is the G1 Vahi shape, and that is the top half of the mask. Which doesn't make very much sense.

I don't think they've said anything to even imply that. The Mask of Time we see on the actual comic pages is an obvious placeholder. Even before we knew the bit about the Protectors' Mask of Time being the top half, it would've been safe to assume that the mask in the comic was not the G2 Mask of Time's actual design simply because of the way it's not even drawn, just hastily photoshopped into the panel.

Here's how I picture things going down: The artist does not have a reference for the Mask of Time in that scene. They might not even know that there are separate top and bottom halves of the mask, just that the script says "Mask of Time". They decide to use the G1 Mask of Time as a placeholder until LEGO sends them a finalized referece. LEGO never sends them a finalized reference, therefore, the placeholder makes it into the pages of the published book. And suddenly everybody is imagining a placeholder to be canon.

It's a similar situation to this teaser poster from 2009, except this time there's no story team member in constant dialogue with the fans in order to reassure us that the specific figure/mask pictured means nothing and the artist simply didn't have access to a finalized design for the figure/mask that was supposed to appear in that scene.

It's a contradiction, sure, and a potentially confusing one. But sometimes you just have to roll with the simplest explanation. Which in this case, I think, is "the mask in the comic panel is not the correct design".

• Upvote 6

Or, they copy-pasted the Vahi because they were told to include it, but didn't have the physical mask to hand to draw a new representation from.

Or it is a deliberate stylistic choice to make the mask seem like it doesn't belong, seeing as it comes from another universe / generation (or not ;)).

I don't think they've said anything to even imply that.

Um, what about at NYCC? The whole "Vahi is a half mask, you will get a whole Mask of Time in G2" thing?

And now, we have a graphic novel saying the Mask of Time is split into two half masks. And it also shows that one of those masks looks like the Vahi. Are these things coincidences?

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

Or, they copy-pasted the Vahi because they were told to include it, but didn't have the physical mask to hand to draw a new representation from.

Or it is a deliberate stylistic choice to make the mask seem like it doesn't belong, seeing as it comes from another universe / generation (or not ;)).

I don't think they've said anything to even imply that.

Um, what about at NYCC? The whole "Vahi is a half mask, you will get a whole Mask of Time in G2" thing?

And now, we have a graphic novel saying the Mask of Time is split into two half masks. And it also shows that one of those masks looks like the Vahi. Are these things coincidences?

Not coincidences per se, but not meaningful either. The new Vahi is apparently two half masks. That much is true and is confirmed by the new graphic novel. The question is whether we've actually SEEN either half in a reliable context. The Mask of Time in the comic art is an obvious placeholder graphic, and should not be taken as concrete evidence that the top half of the mask of time matches the prototype Vahi from G1, any more than the teaser graphic for 2009 featuring Matoro Inika should have been considered evidence that Matoro would be returning from the dead that year.

• Upvote 2

^Oh that 2009 teaser was Matoro? I assumed it was Mata Nui. Some crazy fanon can come from that little mistake.

It was supposed to represent Mata Nui, presumably—but the figure used was Matoro Inika.

• Upvote 1

Can "confremed" become the new "Bionice"? That would be grand.

~B~

its ment to be that

A new target of snark and MoCkery?

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Where are people getting the new comic book?

Bookstores and online booksellers like Amazon? It's not really a "comic book", so you might not find it at all comic shops, but otherwise it's pretty widely available.

Have some links.

Edited by Lyichir

Judging by how cheap the comic is, I doubt it's just a placeholder.

Wouldn't the opposite conclusion be more likely? They haven't got exclusive information to sell it to the old crowd, and the new kids are just like "Bionicle! ZOMG" and buy it anyway. It's cheap for the same reason they have placeholder masks and colour-shifted protectors.