A Naming Day Noel (Secret Santa Gift to Xaeraz)

Master Inika

A Naming Day Noel

Kopaka Nuva walked as fast as he could through Ko-Koro. All around him, the Ko-Matoran were making preparations for the coming Naming Day. It was the one day out of the whole year the people of Ko-Koro took a day off from being reclusive shut-ins and acknowledged there were five other villages on the island of Mata Nui.

“Happy Naming Day, Toa Kopaka!” Arktinen the Icesmith said, waving a flag as he passed.

“Bah Humbug!” Kopaka called, freezing the Ko-Matoran up to his neck in a block of ice.

“K-Kopaka, I’m A-Arktinen the Icesmith!” he said, shivering. “Humbug the F-Forager is on the other side of the village!”

Kopaka huffed and walked off as Arktinen continued squirming. The Toa of Ice split his Ice Blade in two, threw them on the ground, and jumped on. They became ice skates, and he skated off as far as he could to the top of Mount Ihu. There, he looked over the island. Why was Naming Day such a big deal? All it meant was your name was spelled a little different! If Matoro was given a name change, it might be Mahtoro or something, but then next year he could be Mahtouro, and then Mahtourow! It was just so confusing and unnecessary! Kopaka wondered how such a ridiculous tradition came about.

Then, a ghostly form appeared in front of him.

“Boo!” the see-through Matoran said, raising his arms.

“Ah!” Kopaka said, reforming his Ice Blade and holding it up defensively. “Wait… Arktinen?”

“Yes, it is I!” the ghost of the Icesmith said. “Since you have killed me, I will show you the true meaning of Naming Day! Three times tonight, you will be visited by a ghost, who will lead you on your journey!”

Before Kopaka could say anything else, Arktinen vanished into nothingness. Kopaka, confused and frightened, retired for the night. He was awoken by sudden sensations of heat and light.

“Awake, Toa Nuva of Ice!” a Toa of Fire in gold armor said. Kopaka scrambled to his feet.

“Who are you?” he asked.

“I am Lhikan, Toa Mangai of Fire and also Ghost of Naming Days Past!” the Toa declared.

“Toa... who?” Kopaka asked. “There are only six Toa, myself and the other five Toa Nuva.”

“Wait, you don’t know who I am?” Lhikan asked, seeming equally confused now. Kopaka shook his head no. “You’ve never heard of me, or Toa Tuyet, or Toa Nidhiki?” Kopaka shook his head no again.

Lhikan took a deep breath. “Well… I don’t know what to do now,” the Toa of Fire said. “I was going to show you the Naming Days of the past in Metru Nui, but now I’m not sure what to do.”

“What’s Metru Nui?” Kopaka asked, no longer even scared.

Lhikan blinked in disbelief. “You haven’t heard of Metru Nui? The Toa Metru never told you? It was… Actually, if you don’t know what it is, I probably shouldn’t even be here.” With that, Lhikan vanished into nothingness, and Kopaka went back to sleep. A short time later, Kopaka was awoken yet again, this time by a slight nudging on his side.

“Kopaka, wake up,” a voice said. The Toa Nuva of Ice opened his eyes to a bearded, unarmored figure poking at him.

“Who are you?” Kopaka asked, flipping out of bed and retrieving his blade.

“I am Greg Farshtey, the Ghost of Naming Days Present!” the figure said. He grabbed Kopaka’s hand and soared into the air, dragging the Toa behind him. “I’ve come to show you the true meaning of Naming Day.” As they soared through the air, the scene changed. They were over a pair of islands that appeared to be similar to Mata Nui.

“This is New Zealand,” Greg Farshtey said as they flew over it. “There are a people here known as the Maori.”

“I see,” Kopaka said. “These Maori, are they like the Matoran on Mata Nui?”

“No, no, no,” Greg said, shaking his head. “I wouldn’t say anything like that to them. Here’s the problem: a lot of words we at LEGO made up for your language are taken from the Maori language, which they aren’t happy about. So, we had no choice but to think up a reason to change some of the names.”

“It all makes sense now,” Kopaka said, revitalized by realization. “If only I knew. I see the error of my ways, Greg Farshtey!”

But Greg Farshtey was gone. Instead, Kopaka was standing alone on Mount Ihu. He turned around and saw a shadowy figure approach. Two red eyes appeared. Kopaka readied for battle.

“Makuta,” he said under his breath.

But the Master of Shadows did not attack. Instead, he raised his hand and pointed behind Kopaka. The Toa of Ice looked and saw a memorial stone. Inscribed on it was “BIONICLE.” Then, Kopaka lowered his blade. If not for Naming Day, then he, Makuta, and all of BIONICLE would be dead. Then, he woke up in his bed, breathing heavily. He poked his head out and saw Kopeke walking by.

“You there! What day is it?” he asked anxiously.

“Why, it’s Naming Day, Toa Kopaka!” Kopeke said with a grin. “I’m on my way to the celebration at Kini-Nui! Would you like to come and talk on the way?”

Kopaka jumped out and accompanied his friend. At the Temple, Kopaka enjoyed laughter and camaraderie with his brothers and sister and all the Matoran as they witnessed Jala become Jaller, Huki become Hewkii, Maku become Macku, and… Matoro become Mahtoro?
  • Upvote 3

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

This is a really clever story. I really like The Christmas Carol, so this being sort of a Bionicle version of it is most likely why I like it a lot. :)

The use of Lhikan, Greg, and Makuta to show Kopaka the true meaning of Naming Day was great. I especially love Lhikan's reactions to Kopaka not knowing about him or Metru Nui.

Overall, it's a neat story story and really enjoyable as well. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

• 1 year later...

I had actually thought of doing my own Bionicle Christmas Carol a while back, but actually intended to be serious and with Dume as Scrooge.

• Upvote 1

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

I had actually thought of doing my own Bionicle Christmas Carol a while back, but actually intended to be serious and with Dume as Scrooge.

That's a really cool idea. You should totally try it. It could be great.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!