So...what do G2 masks do exactly?

The masters' masks are the masks of their respective elements. But what do they do? are they the source of their power? Are they powerless without them, both elementally and otherwise?

What about the Golden masks? Is it just like going from "olda" to "nuva", like it's just a power level upgrade?

And if the masks are the source of elemental powers, then what happens if, say, Tahu wears the Mask of Ice. Would it work for him? Or does that mask work only for one person?

What about Protector masks? Are they basically turaga-level elemental power masks?

And, here's the one that confuses me the most, what does the Mask of Creation do? When Kulta wore it, all he did was smash the Toa. Doe sit actually help you create stuff? Is it more like the G1 version of Artakha's mask then? But then it also makes you stronger, meaning that even people who aren't the owners of the masks can use them...

And what does the Mask of control do? Is it like a high-powered Komau?

I guess this should be more straightforward, but it must have gone over my head. Can you guys sum it up?

But what do they do? are they the source of their power? Are they powerless without them, both elementally and otherwise?

That's how they've been portrayed so far; in all instances where a Toa has lost their mask, they've grown weak, and haven't shown any elemental abilities.

What about the Golden masks? Is it just like going from "olda" to "nuva", like it's just a power level upgrade?

Kinda? The animations show the Golden masks as the ones that unlock their elemental powers, but I'm pretty sure their intention is that they're an upgrade.

And if the masks are the source of elemental powers, then what happens if, say, Tahu wears the Mask of Ice. Would it work for him? Or does that mask work only for one person?

They haven't covered this yet, but I'd imagine that, even if they could wear the mask of another Toa, it wouldn't automatically make them a master of the element. It would be like handing a sword to someone with no formal weapons training; they can swing it around and make noises, but they don't have the expertise to actually handle it.

And, here's the one that confuses me the most, what does the Mask of Creation do? When Kulta wore it, all he did was smash the Toa. Doe sit actually help you create stuff? Is it more like the G1 version of Artakha's mask then? But then it also makes you stronger, meaning that even people who aren't the owners of the masks can use them...

As near as I can tell, it just... helps create. They haven't gone into depth on it yet. I'd imagine the power surge is just something that happens with a mask that powerful? I don't know.

And what does the Mask of control do? Is it like a high-powered Komau?

We'll probably have to wait until we see it in action to tell.

• Upvote 2

I now want to see Lewa pulling a prank and switch Tahu and Kopaka's golden masks...

Tahu: FEEL THE POWER, I AM THE MASTER OF... Ice?

What does the Skull Warrior/Kulta and Skull Basher/Scorpio masks do too? Just there to be scary?

Obviously the G2 masks aren't as nearly detailed in their powers as the G1 masks. It just seems most characters only wear masks which match their elemental powers. While I want more detail, it is more simple than some G1 masks. I can hardly remember the mask powers if the Inika/Mahri, and don't ask me which power belongs to the 2008 Makuta.

Edited by Xboxtravis
  • Upvote 2

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

I really wanted to see a return to the mask hunt that took place in G1. I loved collecting different masks, as it reminded me of collecting cards (though I never was any good at Pokemon). I do wish the Kanohi of old would make a return. With their elemental powers being tied to their masks, it's all become a little...fragile, I suppose? It's like having a kill switch that is your face.

Not that not being hit in the face wouldn't already be damaging to a person. But I digress.

Remembering the OACP. 

Back in my day, we created amazing wondrous fictions within the Bionicle Universe.

I can't find anything on this right now but wasn't there some form of official media that mentioned masks of speed and strength? I think the context was mentioning that Ekimu could make them.

Anyways I'm on pins and needles waiting for some more lore to come out. For instance: we know the Toa need masks to function in general, but would e.g. Onua with a Mask of Strength still function as a Toa of Earth with strength powers and weaker earth powers, or would he then become a Toa of Strength?

I don't think there's really a proper answer for anything about masks yet. Funny, considering their significance in G2.

I now want to see Lewa pulling a prank and switch Tahu and Kopaka's golden masks...

Tahu: FEEL THE POWER, I AM THE MASTER OF... Ice?

Heh...That would be funny though. :)

Also is it just me or do G2 masks come off of their bearers WAAAAAAAAAYYY too easy than the G1 masks. I mean, come on! Just one hit was enough to make them go like zombies (you know the really slow and easy to decapitate ones).

Apparently, the masks provide elemental power and keep the Toa functioning. 

Although the "wooziness without the mask thing" isn't unique to G2. To quote Vakama:  "Without them, you strength is halved." This was on display during the whole Piraka vs. Nuva thing in G1.

We're not sure how dependent on the masks the villagers are yet. That might be an interesting topic to find out more about. 

-------------------------------------------------

What's more interesting to me is that G2 actually provide a form of telepathy or mind control - as witnessed with Ekimu's mask talk and the Skull Spiders controlling villagers' minds. The masks have always had to have some sort of connection with the mind in order for them to be triggered mentally and to provide power to the mind, but apparently this connection gets expanded in G2 and becomes more powerful. 

So the online Lego Club article about the creatures has this in it:

For the noble and reserved Kopaka, Unity with Melum brings more powerful ice weapons, as well as the power to freeze water from the air and sculpt the resulting ice. He can also make it snow, but he thinks that’s a bit undignified!

Basically the elemental power of ice. So was it not granted to him by the Golden Mask? I've looked through the webisodes, and the only power he's shown using after getting the mask is the ice-forcefield thing.

However, I don't have any of the books. Could someone that has them take a look to see if he actually creates or controls ice at any point?

~Unit#phntk#1

To quote Vakama:  "Without them, you strength is halved." This was on display during the whole Piraka vs. Nuva thing in G1.

We're not sure how dependent on the masks the villagers are yet. That might be an interesting topic to find out more about. 

*To quote Helryx. She told them that after the Toa Mata first woke up on Daxia and Pohatu tried taking his mask off.

Gathering of the Toa kinda touches on villager masks at one point, but not enough to give us a solid idea to mean anything :shrugs:

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

In Island of Lost Masks, Bingzak attempts to access his mask's power at one point, suggesting that regular villager masks do have powers. The BIONICLE website also mentions that masks of many powers exist, such as speed and strength.

The basic Toa masks appear to be powerless, seeing as the Toa do not perform any elemental control while wearing them. Their only function seems to be to avoid the weakness experienced if a character wears no mask (see how Lewa collapses immediately when his mask is removed in the animations).

The golden Toa masks seem to act identically to G1 Nuva Symbols, in that the Toa can only control their element whilst posessing them, and that their elemental energy can also be drained through the masks.

Since Tahu and Kopaka are allies, I would theorise that if the pair swapped golden masks there would be no change in their powers, since the masks would still be in friendly possession. (Assuming the Nuva Symbol comparison holds.)

The Mask of Creation's power is presumably to do with making things. Kulta's energy boost came from the fact that he was draining the mask's energy like how Slicer drained Lewa's mask. (And that energy was drawn in from the forge, according to Island of Lost Masks.)

One final point about masks is that, while in his coma, Ekimu could communicate telepathically with masks he had made; talking to the wearer or seeing through their eyes. That is how he knew of the skull villains when the Toa awoke him. (From an interview with the animation screenwriter.)

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

Since Tahu and Kopaka are allies, I would theorise that if the pair swapped golden masks there would be no change in their powers, since the masks would still be in friendly possession. (Assuming the Nuva Symbol comparison holds.)

That's a shaky assumption; that was a fairly specific attribute of the Nuva symbols, not a widespread property of such elemental "batteries". Makes more sense to me that, if a mask contains the power, whoever wears it can use that power (though only the respective Toa has the mastery to make good use of it.)

That's a shaky assumption; that was a fairly specific attribute of the Nuva symbols, not a widespread property of such elemental "batteries". Makes more sense to me that, if a mask contains the power, whoever wears it can use that power (though only the respective Toa has the mastery to make good use of it.)

It's also possible that the masks are somewhat tailored to the user, and Toa simply can't use masks that don't match their element, the same way Protectors and villagers can't use the golden masks.

And for that matter what does the mask of creation do? I mean both Makuta and Ekimu could create masks so it can't be the ability to create masks. At this point I'm starting to think that all the important masks (masks of creation, control, ultimate power, and time) just give their user super strength. 

It's time to move on.

And for that matter what does the mask of creation do? I mean both Makuta and Ekimu could create masks so it can't be the ability to create masks. At this point I'm starting to think that all the important masks (masks of creation, control, ultimate power, and time) just give their user super strength. 

Anyone can create things, with or without a mask. I assume that, like the G1 Mask of Creation, the G2 Mask of Creation just augments those powers somehow—whether through inspiration, greater finesse, or even the ability to telekinetically manipulate materials or tools.

For another comparison, the G1 Mask of Speed gave the user heightened speed. The fact that some characters could go fast without that mask doesn't disprove the fact that the mask can grant that power as well.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Anyone can create things, with or without a mask. I assume that, like the G1 Mask of Creation, the G2 Mask of Creation just augments those powers somehow—whether through inspiration, greater finesse, or even the ability to telekinetically manipulate materials or tools.

For another comparison, the G1 Mask of Speed gave the user heightened speed. The fact that some characters could go fast without that mask doesn't disprove the fact that the mask can grant that power as well.

Not all skills are supernaturally granted. I figured that Ekimu and Makuta learned to create Masks through normal methods of learning, and that Ekimu's and Makuta's acquisition of their masks was some kind of special reward for learning such a rare skill. 

Not all skills are supernaturally granted. I figured that Ekimu and Makuta learned to create Masks through normal methods of learning, and that Ekimu's and Makuta's acquisition of their masks was some kind of special reward for learning such a rare skill.

I wasn't even discussing where the masks or their powers came from, but other than that you're basically just echoing my point. Just because Ekimu and Makuta can create masks just fine WITHOUT the Mask of Creation doesn't mean that the mask wouldn't make them BETTER at it in one way or another.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Maybe they're like clothes. If you're caught without them, you might feel a bit powerless as well.

Speak for yourself. That makes me think about there being a 'face shower' or maskless subculture in bionicle, where villagers walk around without their masks and everyone regards them as kinda crazy. *looks up at mod cameras*,Am I allowed to mention the real-world parallel, or let people figure it out from context?

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I really dislike it that the toa are reduced to wearing elemental batteries as masks. I hope they learn to unlock powerful support abilities outside of stronger elemental abilities and without support from creatures.

The old abilities like mask of ahielding and invisibility were amazing back in g1, if an element and minor physical skill is what they can do then they are a lot weaker than G1 toa were.

Edited by necross hordika

qs3135.jpg

I really dislike it that the toa are reduced to wearing elemental batteries as masks. I hope they learn to unlock powerful support abilities outside of stronger elemental abilities and without support from creatures.

The old abilities like mask of ahielding and invisibility were amazing back in g1, if an element and minor physical skill is what they can do then they are a lot weaker than G1 toa were.

What I like about the G2 Toa's powers is that several of them have support abilities, they're just no longer divorced from their elemental powers. For instance, Kopaka can use his elemental "Frost Sphere" ability to create a shield. Pohatu can generate sandstorms to levitate. Onua's elemental Earth powers come with earth-shattering strength, and Gali's elemental Water powers seem to come with the ability to breathe underwater. This way it feels like the characters' powers are more than just unrelated factoids to remember, they're a part of their identities as the masters of their elements.

G1 had a mixed record when it came to assigning powers to characters in sensible ways. Some powers from the later years made sense with a character's design and theming — for instance, Ehlek had lightning powers because he was based on an electric eel, Vamprah could drain characters' light because he was based on a vampire bat, Bitil could create a "swarm" of time-clones because he was based on a beetle, etc. But other times characters' powers seemed random and discontinuous. Take Thok, for example. What do "spellbinder vision" or bringing inanimate objects to life have to do with ice? His powers had absolutely no unifying theme, and they didn't have anything meaningful to do with the character's design or identity. They just felt like they were assigned arbitrarily to meet a quota of how many factoids kids had to keep track of.

The Toa Inika and Toa Mahri's mask powers felt a bit arbitrary too. A lot of the Toa Mata's primary mask powers were at least tangentially related to their environments. Shielding is useful in a volcanic region that rains fire, as we saw in Mask of Light when Tahu used it to protect Takua from a rush of lava. X-Ray vision is useful in a region full of blinding snowstorms. Speed is useful in a vast desert where everything is spread far apart. Strength is useful underground where you have to create your own tunnels. Levitation is useful in high jungle canopies. And of course, water breathing is useful in the water. But the Toa Inika and Toa Mahri were all in the same environments, and most of their mask powers would have been just as useful to any of them as they were to the characters they were actually assigned to.

Making characters' powers relevant to those characters isn't just convenient for people trying to remember those powers, it's good storytelling. I mean, even with Superman, who was often assigned new powers with reckless abandon, his powers all evolved naturally from his core concept of "a man who can do anything a human can do, but better". He can jump like a human, but better — super-jumping, which later evolved into flight. He can run like a human, but better — super-speed. He can lift things like a human, but better — super strength. He can see like a human, but better — X-Ray vision, which evolved into heat vision when some writer who mixed up absorbing photons with emitting them decided Superman should be able to focus his X-Ray vision into a beam. So while a new reader might get the impression of a character who just has a bunch of powers, they all developed organically out of a single unifying concept.

If you don't understand how those powers came about, though, it'd be easy to try writing a Superman-esque character just by assigning a character new powers arbitrarily. And that's sort of what I think happened with the Toa Inika and Mahri. The writers designed them around the explicit coding that every Toa has an elemental power and a mask power, but lost sight of the implicit coding that those powers should be connected with a unifying theme. What G2 has done to prevent that sort of thing happening in the future is swapped the implicit and explicit coding: now, the theming of each character's powers takes priority over the number of discrete powers assigned to that character.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 4

The only inika mask power that made sense to me was Nuparu's Mask of Flight. Inappropriate for a cave Toa? Yeah, but the irony was still playing off a theme. Like if Kongu had gotten the Mask of Gravity (Make other things unable to fly) or Jaller the Mask of Night Vision (could light the place up with fire anyway).

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

The only inika mask power that made sense to me was Nuparu's Mask of Flight. Inappropriate for a cave Toa? Yeah, but the irony was still playing off a theme. Like if Kongu had gotten the Mask of Gravity (Make other things unable to fly) or Jaller the Mask of Night Vision (could light the place up with fire anyway).

the only one i found had thematic sense was Hewkii's Sanok, mask of accuracy. (he was a kohlii expert, so a mask like that was second nature, his already good shots were simply better, likewise, he had a chain attatched to his Axe, so he could toss it accurately and it would come back to him! tbh, Hewkii might just be my fvorite inika looking back...)

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

the only one i found had thematic sense was Hewkii's Sanok, mask of accuracy. (he was a kohlii expert, so a mask like that was second nature, his already good shots were simply better, likewise, he had a chain attatched to his Axe, so he could toss it accurately and it would come back to him! tbh, Hewkii might just be my fvorite inika looking back...)

It's a shame that we didn't get to see them in action more before they became Toa Mahri. 

bZpOwEr

Having the Toa's elemental power come from their masks is somewhat limiting, as if they have no other way of accessing their powers then they would be unable to use a specific mask power (say speed) and their elemental powers at the same time. It is interesting, however, that if this is the case then the users of other masks (such as those made by Ekimu) would likely be used by the villagers, meaning that those identical masks they all wear could have unique powers. Having read through this topic, and having thought about it, I'm wondering whether masks act similarly to G1 Toa tools? The Toa each have elemental power within them, but require a mask to access it. Therefore the golden masks can be thought of as Takanuva's lance, which instead of just channelling power actually increases it. And, to get round the issue of Tahu and Kopaka switching masks, perhaps each mask is specifically designed to channel one element, making it useless to a Toa of another element. Then the masks of speed and strength could either syphon of a portion of any Toa's elemental power to function (allowing the Toa to still use their elemental power, but at a weaker level) or use all of a Toa's power to function, stripping them of elemental powers while in use. As for the Protector masks, they probably are like Turaga versions of elemental masks, it would also explain why they didn't go to get the gold masks themselves, if they could not use masks that powerful. What I don't understand is why the uniters need to go and get more gold masks, instead of Ekimu just crafting gold masks for them or not scattering them in the first place?

• Upvote 1

kIxt3.gif 0xeKp.gif  OFIDc.gif  RbAEL.gif

http://dragcave.net/user/Virid

Wasteland RPG Characters:

Zavarix | Keristary

Having the Toa's elemental power come from their masks is somewhat limiting, as if they have no other way of accessing their powers then they would be unable to use a specific mask power (say speed) and their elemental powers at the same time. It is interesting, however, that if this is the case then the users of other masks (such as those made by Ekimu) would likely be used by the villagers, meaning that those identical masks they all wear could have unique powers. Having read through this topic, and having thought about it, I'm wondering whether masks act similarly to G1 Toa tools? The Toa each have elemental power within them, but require a mask to access it. Therefore the golden masks can be thought of as Takanuva's lance, which instead of just channelling power actually increases it. And, to get round the issue of Tahu and Kopaka switching masks, perhaps each mask is specifically designed to channel one element, making it useless to a Toa of another element. Then the masks of speed and strength could either syphon of a portion of any Toa's elemental power to function (allowing the Toa to still use their elemental power, but at a weaker level) or use all of a Toa's power to function, stripping them of elemental powers while in use. As for the Protector masks, they probably are like Turaga versions of elemental masks, it would also explain why they didn't go to get the gold masks themselves, if they could not use masks that powerful. What I don't understand is why the uniters need to go and get more gold masks, instead of Ekimu just crafting gold masks for them or not scattering them in the first place?

That's what i meant as well. The G1 Toa had element inside their bodies plus 1 mask( extra masks were optional) which was their support ability. All their abilities and skill were just part of what they could do and Aanchir pointed out some abilities like Thok had no rhyme or reason.

But with just oil in their bodies and only acces to the element is the mask, then G2 Tahu has no ability to manipulate lava away from him or kanohi as a support barrier. That's my example of why i consider them weak. Even 2016 the beasts amplify theirelemental access alongside the masks, big deal but therw is still no hau to block attacks in the nick of time if his weapons are knocked out of his hands.

Edited by necross hordika

qs3135.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I personally see the G2 Mask of Creation's power being kinda like 'Master Builder Vision' from The LEGO Movie. In other words, being able to look at something to figure out what it does, what its components are, and how to make it. B-)

• Upvote 1

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: 

From what I can see, the G2 masks act as batteries, much like the G1 masks. When a character loses their mask they soon drift into a state of unconsciousness due to the loss of their power source. This seemingly goes for toa as well as islanders. However, the more powerful masks not only act as generic power sources but also grant the wearer a power. The villager masks (and presumably the Skull Creatures' masks) are simple power sources, the Protector masks have weak powers to shape their environments with, and the toa's masks gift their users with mastery of an element.

This ties into something else: the notion that you cannot wear a mask more powerful than you are, because you will not be able to control its power. (I think) it has been stated that islanders cannot use Golden masks because they do not have the mental focus required to wield their power, and Makuta was taken over when he wore the MoUP, an incredibly powerful mask.

Just my two cents~

EDIT: oh, and the thing about most masks just being power sources also explains why when Kulta put on the MoCr he didn't gain its powers at once, as he had not mastered them yet. Instead, the fact that the mask had so much power and energy in it just made him stronger and more powerful than before, in the same way that the standard villager masks don't have individual powers but provide their wearers with energy.

Edited by The Silent King

Kathok